Taxes teach stern lesson

Last week, Hudson voters -- who already have one of the highest property tax rates in the state -- approved additional taxes for their schools. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
THE TRUTH

Wooster, OH

#70 May 18, 2007
Eastsider...YOUR words "Why not one class per grade instead of a special ed. teacher or helper for each class?"
That means putting special needs kids into ONE classroom right? Perhaps you need some more education?
THE TRUTH

Wooster, OH

#71 May 18, 2007
A district must submit a plan of action with the Ohio Department of Ed. gain approval, then work out an agreement with whoever they are wishing to consolidate with.
Springfield teacher

Cleveland, OH

#72 May 18, 2007
Interesting to note that the most intelligent comments are from people who live out of state. Perhaps they are more objective? Or perhaps they left OH to go somewhere where education is valued more.
I am one of your "lazy, overpaid union teachers". I have two bachelors degrees and a masters. My husband, who has a bachelors degree but works in industry, makes twice the money I do. I teach instead of taking a better paying job in industry because it is rewarding, it is what I love to do, and because I care about kids. I believe that ALL kids, rich or poor, deserve a quality education. ALL kids deserve to experience the arts and sports, whether or not their parents can afford (or care to) pay for such "extras". And research has shown that kids do better in school when they are engaged in other activities besides just the basics.
As for the lazy part, just try being a teacher and see how long you last. It's tough work, made tougher by the stress from financial situations such as the ones many districts are in now.
Former Summit County

Catonsville, MD

#73 May 19, 2007
"Interesting to note that the most intelligent comments are from people who live out of state. Perhaps they are more objective? Or perhaps they left OH to go somewhere where education is valued more."
My son is in a public school Kindergarten program in Howard County, Maryland - my niece is in a Kindergarten program in Summit County. In my son's elementary school there are 4 full-day Kindergarten classes [the county went to full-day a while back]. The class sizes are 20, 20, 21 and 21. There are 4 full-time teachers, two full-time educational aids, and two teaching interns assigned to the 4 classes [in addition to Title I and ELL aids and parent volunteers]. In my niece's school, they have 1/2 day Kindergarten and class sizes range from 27 to 29 students.
In each of the other elementary grades in my son's school, there is at least 1 full-time aid assigned as a secretary to the other 4 full-time teachers [someone that can handle all of the lunch money, book orders, take-home folders, etc. administrative tasks so that the teacher can be focused on teachine]. In my niece's school in Summit County, the other grades average 7-8 students more per class than here and there is no educational aid assigned.
My oldest son starts middle school next year -- at the orientation we found that every *middle school* in the county has its own tv studio [as well as debate team, etc]. The GT classes he is in will average 15-20 students [his math class will complete calculus in 10th grade]- and over 45% of his middle school peers will complete algebra by the end of 8th grade [in a school with 23% low income students].
Now, you tell me -- who is more likely to be able to compete for the good colleges and good jobs? Who is more likely to be able to compete in the global economy?
Springfield residents and those in other schools in Summit County think they are doing 'ok'-- those of us who have moved away from Summit County have an idea of what is possible in a well-funded public school system -- and we feel sorry for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 49 min scirocco 71,045
Possible Coyote Sighting 15 hr linsabode 2
Tyler Hartlaub Passes Away at Age 32 Dec 13 Celeste 1
Curious about a 30 year old murder (Apr '06) Dec 12 friendofbladis 286
Union Catholic hosts annual December blood driv... Dec 12 Gerald Vonberger 1
Review: Qumar's Hair Studio Dec 7 whoknew 1
Greenwood Gardens in Short Hills New Jersey (Mar '10) Nov 26 Gail Hawthorne 5

Springfield News Video

Springfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Springfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE