Springfield police sued over traffic stop

Nov 7, 2012 Full story: Springfield News-Leader 20

A Springfield police officer unnecessarily roughed up a man during a November 2011 traffic stop, a lawsuit filed in Greene County court alleges.

Full Story
Taxpayer

Springfield, MO

#1 Nov 7, 2012
I've noticed officers being aggressive in stops of public citizens. I have been harassed bye the police department in a stop where they were asking to search my vehicle and I was merely speeding. Its Outrageous for them to ask someone that has no prior arrest and gave them no reason to ask such a thing. I think the police department needs to take a look at the civil liberties of private citizens and know that they are public officers before more cases like this arise.
guest

United States

#2 Nov 8, 2012
The police can ask to search a vehicle, but the owner has every right to refuse.

What's outrageous is the attitude and actions of the cop. If the news story accurately portrays what happened, the cop committed a crime far worse than the minor traffic offense of the driver.

It seems that many cops forget that they are public servants and that citizens have constitutional protections against excessive government intrusion into their lives.

Simply asking for the cops name is hardly anything for the cop to get angry about. Hell, he's a public servant! He should be required to spit out name, rank and serial number anytime a citizen requests. I think he's forgotten who he works for.

It sad that the only way to force the city and the police department to maintain control over the cops on the street is to file lawsuits. A complete lack of leadership that will end up costing the taxpayers when the city has to pay a million dollar judgment.
Concerned citizen

Springfield, MO

#3 Nov 24, 2012
I believe that the police in this town are overly aggressive for no reason.
Look Up 4 Ur Rdemption

Hermitage, TN

#4 Nov 27, 2012
There's a reason 'concerned citizen.'
A gun, a badge and a uniform often turn mean little men into monsters. That's one factor contributing to an increase in police brutality cases because the pickings as they say, are getting slim. The American populace is growing less and less spiritual, so this becomes the pool from which they draw for LEOs.
And as morality plummets so does the respect for the Constitution or Bill of Rights diminish. If the average LEO has no understanding of the vital importance of these documents, and how they came about--and why they came about-- then can we expect them to follow them? Of course not.
(As so-called 'christian' George W Bush said about the Constitution, "It's just a G*d damn piece of paper.")
Another factor is 'What sort of man is drawn to this profession?' Violent bullies? Psychopaths? Control freaks? Adrenaline junkies?
Just because a man dons a police uniform does not make him honest, decent, respectful or fearful of God. If he does not subscribe to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," then you have a man who is capable of anything.
But even more important that IQ or respect for the Constitution is the consideration that most Americans are spiritually dead. They may mutter that they're 'christians' if forced to, but as Jesus said, "Why do you call me Lord but not obey me?"
If a man does not follow the teachings of Christ AND LOVE OTHERS then he is likely to follow the wickedness of Satan. That is at the core of police brutality. Very few of them follow Jesus Christ.
sheila

Branson, MO

#5 Nov 27, 2012
Ive notice when I have been there that it takes several police officers to talk to one person.
they do seem overly agressive in their approach.
Well

Springfield, MO

#6 Nov 28, 2012
It seems to me the Cops deal with a lot of methheads. In fact I mean inbred, white trash, child porn watching and making, methheads. I mean the lowest form of methheads that ever came out of the devil's behind. It might have something to do with their attitude? If you are a white trash inbred methhead and you are insulted? I want you to feel free to kill yourself!
Hertz

Monett, MO

#7 Nov 28, 2012
Look Up 4 Ur Rdemption wrote:
There's a reason 'concerned citizen.'
A gun, a badge and a uniform often turn mean little men into monsters. That's one factor contributing to an increase in police brutality cases because the pickings as they say, are getting slim. The American populace is growing less and less spiritual, so this becomes the pool from which they draw for LEOs.
And as morality plummets so does the respect for the Constitution or Bill of Rights diminish. If the average LEO has no understanding of the vital importance of these documents, and how they came about--and why they came about-- then can we expect them to follow them? Of course not.
(As so-called 'christian' George W Bush said about the Constitution, "It's just a G*d damn piece of paper.")
Another factor is 'What sort of man is drawn to this profession?' Violent bullies? Psychopaths? Control freaks? Adrenaline junkies?
Just because a man dons a police uniform does not make him honest, decent, respectful or fearful of God. If he does not subscribe to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," then you have a man who is capable of anything.
But even more important that IQ or respect for the Constitution is the consideration that most Americans are spiritually dead. They may mutter that they're 'christians' if forced to, but as Jesus said, "Why do you call me Lord but not obey me?"
If a man does not follow the teachings of Christ AND LOVE OTHERS then he is likely to follow the wickedness of Satan. That is at the core of police brutality. Very few of them follow Jesus Christ.
Nearly every leo I have come into contact with and asked if they believe in God or Jesus Christ has laughed and simply said no or said somtimes their wife drags them to church. In fact talking about christianity is somthing most people will avoid at all cost. It's like throwing holy water on a vampire, they'll avoid it like the plague. Next time one asks to search just have your bible in hand and say "if you let me talk about jesus for ten minutes first you have my written consent."
SeparationOfChur chNState

Columbia, MO

#9 Nov 29, 2012
Frankly I could care less if the officers believe in God. You don't have to be a Christian to have sound morals. Some of the most hateful individuals I've encountered have been Christians who use their platform to spew hatred and condemnation. The religious preference of an officer has NO BEARING on how they treat the public they are sworn to protect.
Correct

Springfield, MO

#10 Nov 29, 2012
I concur. Without question, the most mean spirited, wicked people on the planet are religious zealots. And that folks, is argument proof.
Hertz

Monett, MO

#11 Nov 30, 2012
Well, all I know the people runnin the show aint jesus freaks.
Hertz

Monett, MO

#12 Nov 30, 2012
People that are more spiritually minded most often place more value on human life, basic rights and needs. Does not the oath sworn upon contain the word GOD? So help me GOD? Zealot? Is that not an anti-semitic term?
Correct

Nevada, MO

#13 Dec 3, 2012
I fail to see your point.
Voter

Farmington, MO

#14 Dec 7, 2012
Taxpayer wrote:
I've noticed officers being aggressive in stops of public citizens. I have been harassed bye the police department in a stop where they were asking to search my vehicle and I was merely speeding. Its Outrageous for them to ask someone that has no prior arrest and gave them no reason to ask such a thing. I think the police department needs to take a look at the civil liberties of private citizens and know that they are public officers before more cases like this arise.
I hope you refused
Voter

Farmington, MO

#15 Dec 7, 2012
Concerned citizen wrote:
I believe that the police in this town are overly aggressive for no reason.
Cops acroos this nation are out of control and answer to no one unless you can catch them on video.

I wish you were correct in your statements but all you have to do is watch that COPS show and see the over kill when the are arresting someone. They do is so frequently they think it is okay for five or six of them to beat someone and taser them once they are on the ground; Cops are typcically blow hard cowards and cant do anything without back up and a gun.

Difficult to have respect for them when they have no respect for the publc.
Voter

Farmington, MO

#16 Dec 7, 2012
Look Up 4 Ur Rdemption wrote:
There's a reason 'concerned citizen.'
A gun, a badge and a uniform often turn mean little men into monsters. That's one factor contributing to an increase in police brutality cases because the pickings as they say, are getting slim. The American populace is growing less and less spiritual, so this becomes the pool from which they draw for LEOs.
And as morality plummets so does the respect for the Constitution or Bill of Rights diminish. If the average LEO has no understanding of the vital importance of these documents, and how they came about--and why they came about-- then can we expect them to follow them? Of course not.
(As so-called 'christian' George W Bush said about the Constitution, "It's just a G*d damn piece of paper.")
Another factor is 'What sort of man is drawn to this profession?' Violent bullies? Psychopaths? Control freaks? Adrenaline junkies?
Just because a man dons a police uniform does not make him honest, decent, respectful or fearful of God. If he does not subscribe to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," then you have a man who is capable of anything.
But even more important that IQ or respect for the Constitution is the consideration that most Americans are spiritually dead. They may mutter that they're 'christians' if forced to, but as Jesus said, "Why do you call me Lord but not obey me?"
If a man does not follow the teachings of Christ AND LOVE OTHERS then he is likely to follow the wickedness of Satan. That is at the core of police brutality. Very few of them follow Jesus Christ.
It is pathetic but you are right on. Everyone says most cops are good and it is the bad ones that give them the rupuatation. I think it is the other way around. There may be a few goods ones but most oare cowardly bullies.
Seriously

Ozark, MO

#17 Dec 11, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with the officers actions. The driver was an idiot. The officer explained the ticket to him several times and was more than patient with him he just didn't like the explanation. Look I don't like getting tickets either but I've gotten them and had to pay for them and it is nothing personal. Over aggressive officer? Ha! Not on this one. This guy deserved the ass chewin he got. I've seen officers abuse their police powers and this isn't one of those incidents. Case dismissed!
Hertz

Monett, MO

#18 Dec 12, 2012
Nothing will get an officers blood boiling more than when you ask for his full name, badge number, or rank. It is clear that the officer was attemting to threaten the man from filing a law suit. The best thing to do is become familiar with all public servants in your area (what they look like), so that in the case you need to know their identity, you can avoid being further harrased. It is sad but thats the way it is.
travlin man

Lincoln, NE

#19 Dec 15, 2012
well I think the cop over stepped his auth. I was stopped , went through the whole question and answer thing, standing there the cop said let me see your license, I reached for my wallet and bam he pushed me up against the truck dont move ..... so I did not move,but ask him hey dude how am i suppose to get the license if I can't move.... oh let me try this blink blink nope magic don't work,,, now what,,, he laughed and said turn around and remove the wallet... done all is well,,, no reason to get up tight just cause you got a gun and a badge,,,
barker

Springfield, MO

#20 Jan 21, 2013
Look Up 4 Ur Rdemption wrote:
There's a reason 'concerned citizen.'
A gun, a badge and a uniform often turn mean little men into monsters. That's one factor contributing to an increase in police brutality cases because the pickings as they say, are getting slim. The American populace is growing less and less spiritual, so this becomes the pool from which they draw for LEOs.
And as morality plummets so does the respect for the Constitution or Bill of Rights diminish. If the average LEO has no understanding of the vital importance of these documents, and how they came about--and why they came about-- then can we expect them to follow them? Of course not.
(As so-called 'christian' George W Bush said about the Constitution, "It's just a G*d damn piece of paper.")
Another factor is 'What sort of man is drawn to this profession?' Violent bullies? Psychopaths? Control freaks? Adrenaline junkies?
Just because a man dons a police uniform does not make him honest, decent, respectful or fearful of God. If he does not subscribe to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," then you have a man who is capable of anything.
But even more important that IQ or respect for the Constitution is the consideration that most Americans are spiritually dead. They may mutter that they're 'christians' if forced to, but as Jesus said, "Why do you call me Lord but not obey me?"
If a man does not follow the teachings of Christ AND LOVE OTHERS then he is likely to follow the wickedness of Satan. That is at the core of police brutality. Very few of them follow Jesus Christ.
j springfield police r usually fair if you carry yourself weel and not act like a criminal they r just trying to do a job none of the rest of us want there r idiots out there that they need to get off the streets you go guys and gals good job in my book every time i get pulled over they r respectfull to me .dave barker
barker

Springfield, MO

#21 Jan 21, 2013
Springfield police r doing just fine by me they treat me with respect whenever i get pulled over they r trained to detect deseption so if your not doing anyting illeagal you shoulndnt have anything to worry about

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 27 min Obama Bitches 97,285
The Springfield Three 1992 (Sep '13) 2 hr Dog Man 9,818
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 11 hr Foster 3,191
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... 13 hr Go Blue Forever 590
the robb family 17 hr Kat 3
Three missing women at Cox South (Oct '06) 19 hr dale417 8,971
MO Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... Mon FyI 304

Springfield Jobs

Springfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]