barney

Springfield, MO

#1 Dec 31, 2012
Anyone know of any checkpoint locations for tonite?
Taxpayer

Garden City, MO

#2 Dec 31, 2012
You have nothing to worry about if your driving sober.

But to answer your question: I assume no one will know until people start going through the checkpoint

Since: Oct 12

United States

#3 Dec 31, 2012
Oh Taxpayer, nay nay au contrare. You have a lot to fear. While DWI and DUI can result in horrible accidents bringing injury and death, where do we draw the line? I know driving is a privilege, not a right but at one time in this country we had a right not to be detained without probable cause. The courts have ruled that these checkpoints are constitutional however it is interesting that the decision wasn’t based on an interpretation of the rights upheld in that document. The courts based the decision on “the greater public good”. I have read and studied The Constitution, taken courses and read thousands of documents and have yet to find a “greater public good” clause.

Years ago, I had a concrete silo removed from my property. The silo was well built, some 3 stories tall with 2-1/2 foot thick walls. It had become obsolete and I just wanted it out of the way. I hired some Mennonites from over around Seymour to knock it down. A father and his 16 y/o son arrived the next day with 2, 15-pound sledge hammers, a cooler of water and 2 sack lunches. Curious about the plan, I watched from the house as the father walked around the silo, looking closely, running his hand over the surface even gently tapping the side with one of the sledges. This went on for about 20 minutes. Finally he stopped and pulled a carpenters pencil out of his shirt pocket and made a large “X” about 4 feet above ground level. His son grabbed the second hammer and started swinging away hitting the silo just below the “X”. Curiosity overtook my desire to stay out of the way so I walked down to the jobsite and asked the father why the touchy, feely thing happened. He said he needed to find the weakest most vulnerable spot to chip away the concrete. If he chose the spot well the silo would be on the ground the next day. If not it could take a week to put it on the ground. Skeptical me doubted the gentleman; after all, the only tools they had were two hammers. All day,“tap-tap pause, tap-tap pause…” you could hear the hammers striking the side of that old concrete silo. I had a late afternoon appointment so I wasn’t home when their ride came and picked up the father and son work crew. It was just after dawn when the next day I once more heard the rhythm of the hammers. I made a mental note to go down around noon to check their progress. Around 10:30 I noticed the rhythm had changed, so had the sound. Glancing up from some paperwork I looked out the window to see them moving slowly around the silo striking right at the base as hard as they could. As they met 180° from the point at which the father had started, I heard a loud crack. The father and son moved away and watched as the silo fell, much like a lumberjack would fell a tree. As it struck the ground it collapsed into pieces. I was awed at the job done by two men and their hammers. One chip of concrete at a time...

Perhaps one day, before it is too late, we will open our eyes and see that the Rights we once had have been slowly, inexorably and now continuously being chipped away.
Hertz

Monett, MO

#4 Jan 1, 2013
This is to all of you cowardice police who would rather recieve pats on the head rather than honor your oath and also to the other slaves and minions who would rather pay lip service to the government instead of protect the sacred values that so many of us cherish. If ye love wealth and the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lighlty upon you, and may future generations forget that ye were our countrymen. In other words... Go back to great britian and kiss the queens feet you disgusting Traitors!
A disciple

Seymour, MO

#5 Jan 1, 2013
Statism is the established religion in this land, and the State is nothing but a false god that sets itself up above the true God, Jesus Christ. BUT, this beast, as it is also known, is given life and power BY THE PEOPLE, the masses, them broad road folks you know. Most of yall probably have know idea what you just read. I'm sorry, but I do understand.
Hertz

Monett, MO

#6 Jan 2, 2013
We are all victims of evil. We have all been programed to be spiritualy lazy and apathetic to a certain extent. Some people are more aware than others. Breaking the programming to bits and seeing the beauty of creation and the value of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is one of the most empowering achievments one can experiance. We need to be giving up wrongs. Not giving up RIGHTS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Springfield Three 1992 (Sep '13) 10 min Rusty 19,280
News Well-known Nixa Doctor dies on vacation (Mar '09) 52 min Leandra 4
The Venues 21 hr Curious 1
Jeannie Johnson Tue Curious 1
Jeannie Johnson Tue Curious 1
Sheriff Jul 27 Observer 7
holly rentals or 417 rentals or chris gatley (Jun '14) Jul 26 417sucks 38
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages