Payless Optical & dangerous, unregula...

Payless Optical & dangerous, unregulated MO Opticians

Posted in the Springfield Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Payless Optical Victim

United States

#1 Aug 12, 2009
It appears anyone can set up a store, shop to sell prescription eyeglasses without any regulation whatsoever and when they botch the fitting of those much needed eyeglasses, misrepresent what was purchased the consumer/victim can be left suffering without properly fitting eyeglasses nor the money they gave to the cons dispensing bad eyeglasses. Who will stop them?

I feel certain I am not the first victim nor will I be the last unless this matter is changed ASAP
April 28, 2009 I appeared in person at Payless Optical, Springfield, MO because a lens had fallen out of the prescription eyeglasses I had purchased from them in 2006. Payless Optical’s in house optometrist, Dr. MacLaren, checked my eyeglasses and stated “they are shot” and could not be properly repaired. I paid him for a new exam (which the prescription only changed slightly) and presented a coupon that I had received from them in the mail to Payless Optical desk. Although they refused the coupon stating my prescription was not covered (even though the coupon looked as though it should have been a savings) I proceeded to order new eyeglasses, they measured me for them, and stated they would call within week to ten days.
Fourteen days later I still had not heard from them and was suffering tremendously with the old eyeglasses totally out of alignment, extremely fragile, and improperly on my face. I e mailed what I thought was Payless Optical in Springfield, MO and the response came from an Adam Sandman, who I assumed was in Springfield, MO. For some unexplained reason he responded stating I had not ordered scratchgard, which I most certainly had ordered and paid extra for. Sandman then suddenly said they would not be doing business with me and I would be sent a check refund sometime within the next two weeks. An attorney I work for then intervened and Sandman backed off and said the glasses were ready for pickup and had the scratchgard. I appeared in person and picked them up on May 19, 2009, but told optician Lowe at the time they did not seem to fit right. I soon realized they were grossly misfit, had blurs on the lens, blind spot on the sides of the frames, and the lens did not change to sunglasses like I had been told they would be “like the ones you have”. I had to move my computer screen up several inches in order to read anything on screen. I spent one whole afternoon in the sun trying to get them to change over and had to accept I had been lied to. I wore them eight miserable days and the headaches were so severe and I was so fearful of falling I had to quit wearing them.
Optician, manager, Harry Lowe, of Payless Optical at first said he would refund my money and would even pay for at least part of another trip to Springfield from El Dorado Springs, MO. Before that could be accomplished Adam Sandman again took over and stopped what I had assumed would have been a cash refund. Adam Sandman, come to find out, is from Port Washington, NY and a company called Ophthalmic Management Company.(It should be noted none of these companies appear to be registered with the Missouri Secretary of State, including Payless Optical of Springfield, MO.) When I asked for Payless Optical to cash the out of state check, made out to someone besides myself, and give me the cash upon return of the bogus glasses they refused. THEN the check got changed as being from US Optical and made out to my name, but from a private bank in Omaha, Nebraska.

I found the 2006 receipt and comparing the measurements to the 2009 receipt it is quite evident they measured wrong, not to mention they lied and claimed they sold me glasses that would change over to sunglasses in the sunlight.

They still have my money and I have nothing usable.

How many people do we have without eyeglasses due to nonsense like this mess? How many others are wearing glasses that do not fit and therefore end up in wrecks, falls, or other mishaps or are at high risk for such?
Payless customer

Springfield, MO

#2 Aug 28, 2009
I have always used Payless and my mom has used payless since she was my age. Never had any problems and always had great experiences. Not sure why you have had all these troubles.
Payless Optical Victim

United States

#3 Sep 1, 2009
Payless customer wrote:
I have always used Payless and my mom has used payless since she was my age. Never had any problems and always had great experiences. Not sure why you have had all these troubles.
I have either had all these troubles due to their not wanting to admit incompetency in measuring for the eyeglasses and lying about the lens turning to sunglasses OR Adam Sandman and his organized criminals have taken over Dr. Mac and Payless employees and decided to destroy my eyesight as well as I am sure others for what reasons I don't know except he was irate I dared to ask why they refused to honor their own coupon they had sent me in the mail and dared to inquire when they did not give notice of the eyeglasses being in. In any case now 126 days after they stole my money I have nothing useful and they still have my money.
Bag of Bones

United States

#4 Sep 2, 2009
Quote: "An attorney I work for then intervened"

Duh....

If this type of ' case ' is not his area, can we assume he knows of another one who can represent you?

In fact, just a letter to them on HIS letterhead may solve your problem ( money returned ).
Payless Optical Victim

United States

#5 Sep 3, 2009
Bag of Bones wrote:
Quote: "An attorney I work for then intervened"
Payless Optical and all their organized criminal associates knew the attorney would likely run backwards once they lied about him as well. Besides that he's not licensed in MO, NE, nor NY.
Bag of Bones

United States

#6 Sep 3, 2009
Quote: "..knew the attorney would likely run backwards once they lied about him as well."

An attorney ...concerned about lies? LMAO!

Let's see if we have this correct, YOU post from Stockton MO., YOU work for an attorney (in Missouri?), but HE's not licensed in Missouri?

..lol, no wonder he's running backwards.

I give up ...good luck.
Payless Optical Victim

United States

#7 Sep 8, 2009
Never said one word about working for a Missouri attorney. (I suppose you have no idea that people can do legal research over the internet.) Obviously you are more concerned about trying to pry into my life versus dealing with the fact Springfield, MO has a company, Payless Optical, that stole my money, has incompetent people measuring for eyeglasses, and is controlled by organized criminals in NY and NE. I did NOT order eyeglasses over the internet nor in any other place. I appeared in person in Springfield, MO.
Payless customer

Springfield, MO

#8 Sep 10, 2009
My husband has had the transition glasses/sunglasses from them and they work just great. Neither of us have any problems with our glasses from there, ever.
PAYLESS LOVER

Chester, NY

#9 Sep 11, 2009
FRANKLY, I think this woman is nuts. They have a check waiting for her and all they ask is she return the glasses. If the glass are no good why does she want to keep them?

I have been shopping at Payless Optical stores in four states and in an affilliate in another state for over 20 years. I never had a problem and find them to supply the best of quality and value comapred to anyone.
I think the "payless Optical victim" needs to get check and buy new glasses for three times the price elswhere.
Payless Optical Victim

United States

#10 Sep 11, 2009
Payless customer wrote:
My husband has had the transition glasses/sunglasses from them and they work just great. Neither of us have any problems with our glasses from there, ever.
Ask transitions.com whether they have ever had permission to sell transitions. According to what they told me just as Payless Optical does not register to do business in MO they have never had authorization to sell Transitions.
Payless Optical Victim

United States

#11 Sep 11, 2009
PAYLESS LOVER wrote:
FRANKLY, I think this woman is nuts. They have a check waiting for her and all they ask is she return the glasses. If the glass are no good why does she want to keep them?
I have been shopping at Payless Optical stores in four states and in an affilliate in another state for over 20 years. I never had a problem and find them to supply the best of quality and value comapred to anyone.
I think the "payless Optical victim" needs to get check and buy new glasses for three times the price elswhere.
Yes, Mr. Sandman---obviously no one, but you would enter such a post. Frankly, many know you are a criminal.

What's NUTS is for Payless Optical to expect anyone to accept an out of state check from ANOTHER COMPANY, I did NOT do business with, as a refund.
IF the check were anything more than like a Nigerian scam there would of been no problem with Payless Optical cashing it and giving me the cash AND NO PROBLEM with Mr. Lowe keeping his word and paying for the gas for the add'l trip to return the glasses MALPRACTICE, NEGLIGENCE, AND Mr. Sandman's MALICE caused.

The glasses CANNOT BE WORN WITHOUT MAJOR HEADACHES AND RISK OF WRECKS AND OTHER INJURIES.

Glasses elsewhere DO NOT COST THREE TIMES THE PRICE, but I cannot purchase glasses elsewhere w/o MY MONEY THAT PAYLESS OPTICAL HAS STOLEN FOR 136 days as of today.

Mr. Sandman---organized criminal controlling Payless Optical in Springfield, MO from his hiding place in NY. Other victims are being found and the truth shall prevail.
Traveler

Bowling Green, SC

#12 Sep 11, 2009
PAYLESS LOVER wrote:
"Lover", you do make a good point. I went to see those people at Payless myself,the lowlifes told me I needed Bi-focals. Know what, they were right. As old Smokey sang, "I can see clearly now". To the one who has this beef with this store that does eye exams and sells glasses, my thought is that you might not in fact be the center of the universe. It's a pisser to discover I know, but best you deal with it and move on. Again, just an observation, take it as you will.
Payless Optical Victim

United States

#13 Sep 23, 2009
Dealing with it means rounding up the others they have destroyed and stolen from w/o providing proper product AND ultimately putting them out of business to protect future victims as well. Those of us who were their victims WILL BE FULLY COMPENSATED FROM THE ASSETS OF THEIR BOARDED UP BUSINESS.

And those responsible for the negligence, malpractice, and malicious intent to destroy my eyesight WILL eventually be fully punished LEGALLY as well.

No one, deserves the mess Mr. Sandman and his organized criminal allies have put me through AS WELL AS ALL THEIR OTHER VICTIMS.

Truth and justice WILL PREVAIL.
Payless Customer

United States

#14 Apr 3, 2010
You say that you finally ended up with a check made out to you, but from a private bank in Omaha. Who cares where the check is from, just cash it and get your money. I've gone to Payless for 20 years, and never had a problem. And you seem surprised that the lens fell out of your 3 year old glasses. And Dr. Maclaren didn't force you to get another eye exam. If you had brought in a prescription for glasses, you wouldn't have needed an exam. Sounds like you are one of those people who is unwilling to accept that something might even be partially your fault. And then you run around yelling about lawyers and suing people. So far you are the only person I've ever heard complain about Payless Optical, and there are dozens I've heard say they get great service there. So I just don't really believe your version of the story. Hope you can find some resolution, and focus on something other than your problems with Payless. Really, there are much more serious things to worry about.
Payless Customer

United States

#15 Apr 3, 2010
Oh, and Payless is registered as a business in Springfield, MO. You can easily look it up through the City of Springfield.
Jacks mom

Kearney, NE

#16 Apr 24, 2010
I love Payless. I have gotten dozens of glasses there, and refer often.
Payless Optical Victim wrote:
Never said one word about working for a Missouri attorney.(I suppose you have no idea that people can do legal research over the internet.) Obviously you are more concerned about trying to pry into my life versus dealing with the fact Springfield, MO has a company, Payless Optical, that stole my money, has incompetent people measuring for eyeglasses, and is controlled by organized criminals in NY and NE. I did NOT order eyeglasses over the internet nor in any other place. I appeared in person in Springfield, MO.
Badfinger

Rogers, AR

#17 Jan 11, 2011
I have used Payles for 15 years now and have never had a problem. In fact, I need new glasses and I am driving up from Harrison Arkansas today to go to Payless to get me a pair.
WOW

Carthage, MO

#19 Feb 10, 2011
I also have been seeing Dr Mac and I have never had a problem. My entire family goes to payless.
And just so you know, it is required by law that you obtain a new rx for eyglasses every 2 years and for contacts every year.
Glasses themselves are not made to be worn for years. springs and screws wear out from the constant tension and strain of wearing them.
And where are your fellow complainers??????
I actually went there today for an eye infection that i seem to have contracted. Dr Mac charged me O dollars. That is the standard charge if you have had an eye exam within the last year. The folks that work there are ALWAYS pleasant and helpful. As a matter of fact my son broke his glasses over the christmas break a couple of days before he had to ship out. Payless measured him for the new glasses and when they came in a few days later i was able to ship them to him, ready to wear. AWESOME!!!!!
Take responsibility for your own actions!!!!!!!!!! Quit crying about something that was entirely your fault!!!!
MissScarlette

Springfield, MO

#20 Mar 4, 2011
Wow! I don't normally make comments...but after reading this thread I am seriously at a loss for words. All I can say is that I have had nothing but great experiences with Payless Optical. I don't know of any other eye care center that you can walk into and have temple cushions replaced and fitted for free! I have seen Dr. Mac on several occasions, he is a pleasant man with good bedside manners. Extremely affordable. This wacko lady seems to think that eyeglasses are indestructible. I am fixing to take my 5 year old daughter in today for her yearly exam, she really likes Dr. Mac and can't wait to get there. I agree with the other posters, quit your bitchin', and cash that everloving check and go on about your business. Find some other way to waste your time, instead of trying to smear a good optician's name and the company's outstanding service and quality. There is NO where in Spfld that you can walk in, get examined, and get a good pair of glasses for under $70. I have nothing but good things to say about the business and will continue to go there.
ex employee

United States

#21 Jun 7, 2011
Wow! Where do I even start with this one? First off, you are suppose to get your eyes re-checked every year or 2 years depending on which state you live in even if your vision hasn't changed at all. I find it funny that you are on here whining and complaining about them screwing up your vision when YOU were the one who neglected to get another eye exam when your out of date glasses finally broke. If you are so concerned with your vision, then why did you only get your eyes examined when they refused to make you another pair? Second of all, if your glasses don't fit properly, you are suppose to have them adjusted to fit your face. Just because they sit properly straight on the table, doesn't mean they are going to sit properly straight on your face. As far as your old glasses goes, nothing last forever. The lenses will pop out, the temples will break and the screws will fall out. That is normal no matter where you buy the glasses from. Now as far as the problem with the transition lenses, they do change but they don't get very dark and they don't change in the car. Those aren't even made inside the store, they are sent off to a lab to be made.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Springfield Three 1992 (Sep '13) 17 min olddog 19,326
The Venues Tue Curious 1
Jeannie Johnson Jul 28 Curious 1
holly rentals or 417 rentals or chris gatley (Jun '14) Jul 26 417sucks 38
the x-spot! (Mar '14) Jul 25 Wes69 10
News Associate Capital Campaign Consultant - Diocese... Jul 24 Guest 1
Where can I find heroin (Jan '15) Jul 23 newcomer 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages