How do you pronounce Missouri

Posted in the Springfield Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
spfd4um

United States

#1 Nov 9, 2006
I have started a poll, you don't need to join to vote on thsi poll so Go and vote! How do you pronounce the fine state we live in! Missour "E" or Missour "Ah" ? here is the location of the poll: spfd4um.com

you can always join if you would like to join us there in springfield!
spfd4um

United States

#2 Nov 9, 2006
You can also get to the poll at springfieldforum.com too.
Carla Ladybug

Kansas City, MO

#3 Aug 22, 2007
I am from Kansas City and I think it should be pronounced Missouri "E" ..... saying Missouri "ah" is very country and hick sounding

“More Positive News”

Since: May 07

Springfield, MO

#4 Aug 22, 2007
A few years ago, there was a report in the Springfield News-Leader that the state's residents are about equally divided between Missouri and Missourah. Missourah is also emphasized by Missouri University at Columbia with emphasis on the "Rah!" It is often heard that way in St. Louis as well.

We live in a state with many French names -- including the town of Versailles. That would be the French name of "Ver-sigh", but the town is pronounced "Ver-Sales".

In Springfield, one major road is spelled "Kearney". Most citizens of Springfield pronounce it "Carney", while newbies say "Kernie".

Such unexpected pronunciations are common throughout the U.S. So, no matter where you live, you are likely to have some of these place names with unexpected pronunciations.

Who is right? <shrug> English is an ever-changing language where the majority rules on such matters. Pronunciation and spelling can, and do, change over time. It all depends upon the common usage of the era.

Is pronunciation important? Of course! If we cannot understand each other, we are a nation divided, a tower of babel.

-- Patrick B.

P.S. You will find a few other discussions on how to say "Missouri" when you Google this phrase WITH the quotation marks: "How do you say Missouri".
Jane

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jan 29, 2008
Missouri EEEEEEE.

Sound hick the other way.
songs4me

United States

#6 Jan 30, 2008
I think that most people it Missouri can't read so they probably won't get your question!
Jerry Cunningham

Malden, MO

#7 Feb 11, 2008
I think there was a resolution passed by the house or rep and ratified by the senate in the late 1800's (dont know the year for sure) that stated the state's name is Missouri with an E.
kakers

Osceola, MO

#8 Apr 23, 2008
For those who think Missouri should be with an E, please get off your high yankee horse and find out where the state got its name. The Missouria indians were here first and they did not pronounce it with and EEEEEEE. If it sounds hick to you please note the EEEEE sounds uneducated to us'n purr ignurnt hillbillies thut cant neer reed nor writ as gooden as you'ns.
Missouri Mule

United States

#9 Apr 24, 2008
songs4me wrote:
I think that most people it Missouri can't read so they probably won't get your question!
I believe that would be "in" Missouri, not "it" Missouri. I guess some people in Marshfield cannot spell.
Carol in St Louis

United States

#10 Apr 25, 2008
What happened to tolerance? The two pronunciations make our state name interesting! I pronounce it Missour-ah! And the story about the Indians (see Deepwater, MO post above) pronouncing it this way is the story my family has passed down over 7 generations!
I have no problem with others saying Missoureee, however.
Carol
St Louis, by way of Washington, MO
Mouse

AOL

#11 Jun 15, 2008
I've heard all sorts of pronunciations of Missouri. All of the ones mentioned here and Misery too. Also for Louisiana Lousyana from a Texan. Apparently he had no love for any of the states other than his own Texas, which he wasn't a true Texan anyway, moved to Tx from Illinois as a child.. I hail from PA(Pennsylvania) and I enjoy hearing the different dialects from my own country, The United States of America. That's what makes us so unique. I also do not speak English, I speak Amerlish(American English). Take care all! Have a great future!

“Hi! I'm no longer here. ”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#12 Jun 15, 2008
misery

just kiddin :)
Allen C

United States

#13 Jul 23, 2008
Misery

Not Kiddin':(
Leesa

AOL

#14 Sep 7, 2008
songs4me wrote:
What an ignorant post! Shows your level of intelligence, or should I say a lack of it?

I pronounce it Missouri. Most people in the big cities of Missouri pronounce it that way.
PCB

Kahoka, MO

#15 Oct 13, 2008
Many people around SW Missouri say it with an "ah" instead of the Missour-eee". The same appears to be true about Miami, OK when they call it Miamah instead of Miameeee. I wonder if they also call Miami, Florida the same way? I'm sure the people in Florida would not care to hear that.
PCB

Kahoka, MO

#16 Oct 13, 2008
I have a theory that people who live in a certain city/town pronounce the name of their city different than others. Examples: NawLons for New Orleans, Loolville for Louisville, KY and many many others. People in Houston, TX say "You-ston" and the H in Humble, TX makes it Umble.
PCB

Kahoka, MO

#17 Oct 13, 2008
As long as we know what we are really saying, that's the important thing. You can't change people and some will put up an argument if you try. It just adds a little flavor to the communications when we have different accents and pronunciations. It does make it interesting though.
PCB

Kahoka, MO

#18 Oct 13, 2008
Because I lived in Illinois for several years, it does go against my grain when I hear people say Illinoizzzz. To that I reply, There is no NOISE in Illinoy!
PCB

Kahoka, MO

#19 Oct 13, 2008
Funny, funny, funny! You should go on the Leno show or Letterman, as a Comedian. You did make me laugh.
I left KC for Dallas

Dallas, TX

#20 Nov 30, 2008
kakers wrote:
For those who think Missouri should be with an E, please get off your high yankee horse and find out where the state got its name. The Missouria indians were here first and they did not pronounce it with and EEEEEEE. If it sounds hick to you please note the EEEEE sounds uneducated to us'n purr ignurnt hillbillies thut cant neer reed nor writ as gooden as you'ns.
uhh.... Missouria.... Missouri... no more a... EEEEEEEEE
SHUT UP HILLBILLY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer Thomspon - Easy lay sleeps with marrie... Wed YBaSlut 2
Anyone Know Hannah Elizabeth Gordon? Wed Lilybabe 4
holly rentals or 417 rentals or chris gatley (Jun '14) Apr 25 Sheila 78
The Springfield Three 1992 (Sep '13) Apr 25 Bartt Streeter 23,797
Social Security Office Complaints Apr 24 Satan Is Defeated 3
Springfield Cops ( LAKE OF FIRE ) Apr 23 repent now 7
Christians of Springfield Apr 23 repent now 3

Springfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance