Patch sues Redstone Properties for $1...

Patch sues Redstone Properties for $16M in bonus payments

There are 78 comments on the North Adams Transcript story from Jul 19, 2008, titled Patch sues Redstone Properties for $16M in bonus payments. In it, North Adams Transcript reports that:

He started off as the company's golden boy, a top earner with a rosy future. Now, he's suing the Williamstown-based land management and development firm for allegedly failing to pay him millions of dollars in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Adams Transcript.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
gajdas lawyer

Keene, NH

#1 Jul 19, 2008
Mary Lou Fabbo is a partner not an associate . Check out her low cut picture at skoler-abbot.com
Mary Lou Fabbo

Keene, NH

#2 Jul 19, 2008
Nice lawyer! skoler-abbott.com
Just an observer

Clockville, NY

#3 Jul 19, 2008
Sounds like typical Harry Patten. It's a good thing that Patch got an attorney from Springfield. Everybody around here is afraid or beholden.
Afraid but Mistaken

Chicopee, MA

#4 Jul 19, 2008
Just an observer wrote:
Sounds like typical Harry Patten. It's a good thing that Patch got an attorney from Springfield. Everybody around here is afraid or beholden.
You must be "an observer" of MOCA art from Mr. Duquette. The attorneys around here are fantastic. Look who the Pittsfield mayor has representing him for "buying" two Red Sox tickets at full face value! He'll probably end up with a refund and dinner at Spice Jaes!
LOL

Albany, NY

#5 Jul 19, 2008
I hope Patch gets NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Mrs Patch

Chicopee, MA

#6 Jul 19, 2008
LOL wrote:
I hope Patch gets NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you are wrong! He owes me for his...
Backwards

Conway, MA

#7 Jul 20, 2008
Afraid but Mistaken wrote:
<quoted text> You must be "an observer" of MOCA art from Mr. Duquette. The attorneys around here are fantastic. Look who the Pittsfield mayor has representing him for "buying" two Red Sox tickets at full face value! He'll probably end up with a refund and dinner at Spice Jaes!
Of course the local attorneys play to local power. The point being made above is that Harry Patten has a lot of local power in Berkshire County. I'd bet that almost every attorney in North County has worked for or against him over the years.
Matt Logue

Cambridge, MA

#8 Jul 20, 2008
I'm fascinated as a former employee to see how this plays out...the company has been notoriously late in paying bonuses. After a rather successful sales event in GA, they had every employee sign a contract to the extent that bonuses would only be paid if the person was an employee at the time the property closed. I hope the judge keeps the case in MA, give him triple damages; otherwise it's back to GA with no damages and limited ability to recover lost wages.

As far as attorneys are concerned, Patch should hire a heavy hitter from Boston to obliterate these small-time sticks lawyers. Also, for clarification: it's Michael Patten--not Harry--he's Harry's son.
to matt

Chicopee, MA

#9 Jul 20, 2008
Matt Logue wrote:
I'm fascinated as a former employee to see how this plays out...the company has been notoriously late in paying bonuses. After a rather successful sales event in GA, they had every employee sign a contract to the extent that bonuses would only be paid if the person was an employee at the time the property closed. I hope the judge keeps the case in MA, give him triple damages; otherwise it's back to GA with no damages and limited ability to recover lost wages.
As far as attorneys are concerned, Patch should hire a heavy hitter from Boston to obliterate these small-time sticks lawyers. Also, for clarification: it's Michael Patten--not Harry--he's Harry's son.
Ask yourself- Why are you a "former employee" like mr patch and will you and mr patch ever have an opportunity like you had in Georgia or will you be back working for the cities of NA and Williamstown?
union mentality

Chicopee, MA

#10 Jul 20, 2008
Matt Logue wrote:
Imagine that- Making you work until the sale is closed!!! Who would have ever thought you would have to work until that Day!!!
Former Salesman

Clockville, NY

#11 Jul 20, 2008
union mentality wrote:
<quoted text>Imagine that- Making you work until the sale is closed!!! Who would have ever thought you would have to work until that Day!!!
In most industries commissions are generally paid to the person who made the sale, regardless of their employment status. I received commission checks from my former employer for years after I left.

From what I read here, Redstone could fire all its salespeople the day before the closing and keep all them money for themselves.

It wouldn't make any business sense to do that, but if it were over several million dollars, it strikes me that it would be tempting.
interested observer

United States

#12 Jul 20, 2008
Like father like son.
Matt Logue

Lowell, MA

#13 Jul 21, 2008
to matt wrote:
<quoted text>Ask yourself- Why are you a "former employee" like mr patch and will you and mr patch ever have an opportunity like you had in Georgia or will you be back working for the cities of NA and Williamstown?
No to both questions. Albeit not the most amiable person, Patch found amazing opportunities for Redstone in GA amidst an excellent real estate market right before the crash...he was the brain behind their marketing and development, and, for that, he should be compensated fairly. The other offices and principals fail miserably, consistently for Redstone (they still have property on the market from sales launches 5 yrs. ago).

As far as going back to work for the town of Williamstown or the "City" of North Adams, I worked for neither and I have an excellent career post-cutthroat, dishonest Redstone. And Patch will never go back to being a town manager; he's probably going to take his settlement and start his own land development company in TX. Just my two cents...:)
Indigo

Cranberry Twp, PA

#14 Jul 21, 2008
Isnt't that the MO of most of the cut-throat developers who make gods of $$$. Mis-lead, mis-represent, and take advantage of the little guy. It's amazing to me that anyone wants to work for a Patten.
Truthsayer

Springfield, MA

#15 Jul 21, 2008
Knowing Mr. Patch personally, there is THE truth, and HIS version of it. There is the public face as to "why" he left as Billtown town manager, and the private truth. At lunch with him one day, I took out my wallet to pay the check, but the owner came over and took it, saying it was on the house "as usual". The owner had an appeal before the ZBA at the time. Mr. Patch commented that this was typical of what he received from other restaurants and merchants in town. This practice is illegal in MA. So, in this case against Redstone, there are two sides to every case. Patch has stated his, and Redstone denied. While the courts may decide, my guess is that a private settlement will occur to avoid the airing of a lot of dirty laundry.
Left Wing Crackpot

Springfield, MA

#16 Jul 21, 2008
Indigo wrote:
Isnt't that the MO of most of the cut-throat developers who make gods of $$$. Mis-lead, mis-represent, and take advantage of the little guy. It's amazing to me that anyone wants to work for a Patten.

I remember when Sixty Minutes paid a visit to Harry's door.
The Land Whisperer

Cambridge, MA

#17 Jul 21, 2008
I had the pleasure of working for Mike Patten and his partners (including Stephen Patch) for many years, and I can say without reservation, they are some of the finest individuals Iíve ever worked with. Mike would not tolerate even the slightest hint of impropriety, and Tom Gajda is without question the most ethical CFO in the business. There will inevitably be differences of opinion when large sums of money are involved, and Iím certain these matters will be settled amicably and fairly.
Flat Lander from Maine

Farmington, NH

#18 Jul 21, 2008
WOW The Land Whisperer how much kool aid have you had or excuse me money.Patten has been a scumbag for most of his life he has been run out of most of the New England states for ripping people off I know of a place New Hampshire that goes back 20 + years I am willing to bet that Redstone is not only name that he travels under Trust me he will walk away with the cash he is a will known scumbag in the Berkshires
The Land Whisperer

Cambridge, MA

#19 Jul 21, 2008
Flat Lander from Maine wrote:
WOW The Land Whisperer how much kool aid have you had or excuse me money.Patten has been a scumbag for most of his life he has been run out of most of the New England states for ripping people off I know of a place New Hampshire that goes back 20 + years I am willing to bet that Redstone is not only name that he travels under Trust me he will walk away with the cash he is a will known scumbag in the Berkshires

You're confusing Michael Patten with Harry Patten. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. It's a well known fact in land-development circles, and in the community, that Michael Patten is a stand-up guy in his business dealings, and in his personal life. Don't transpose the sins of the father on to the son, "Flat Lander."
Truthsayer

West Chesterfield, MA

#20 Jul 22, 2008
Harry Patten vs. Mike Patten. Different? Um, right?!?! Interesting that the rest of the community thinks of the them as two peas in a pod. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. As for Patch, ask most of the community of Williamstown what they think. It isn't pretty. Patch's lawsuit has accused M. Patten, Gajda, and Redstone of violations of state AND federal law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'The church is people': Rev. Peter Gregory prou... 13 hr DSS DCF CPS are M... 6
News Refugees must wait for safe harbor Sun Solons 2
News Banner moment: Chicago Cubs finally raise champ... Sun Banner Phart 4
Mowing lawns Apr 21 Gloria Eagan 1
News Assault charges piling up Apr 16 Cops Luv Kids 1
Dave Arbogast Apr 7 Captain caveman 75 2
Cigs for trade Apr 6 Anonymous 1

Springfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages