When is Mark Perry gonna get bashed?!?!

Posted in the Springfield Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Billy

Vine Grove, KY

#1 May 23, 2009
Everyone wants to get on here and bash our HS coaches but at what point are they going to start bashing Perry? I mean, what the hell has he done in his time here? Does his 1/3 passing attempts at UK really make him "The Man" in Springfield? A lot of kids could walk on at a major university and get in for a couple of plays and say they played at the highest level. How does this make him such a "god" around here? He is just as vulgar, if not more so, than any other coach that has ever coached here. You should stop by the weight room sometime. You would really be astonished at what was being said in there. Is 3 wins last year, not much more than that the year before, really enough to keep him off the hot seat? I would really just like to know what makes him so special to this community.
Former water girl

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#2 May 23, 2009
I loved working with the team, it was so much fun, Coach was direct and expected us to do what we signed up to do. I love him and his wife. Alot of ppl will say he has his favorited but in the gym, on the field, and on the team, he really treated everyone fairly. I am very proud to have been a water girl for our Commanders!
really

London, KY

#3 May 23, 2009
he is by far "the man" in springfield. lol. I am not impressed at all by his bench warming skills at uk.
okay

Vine Grove, KY

#4 May 23, 2009
maybe he is so good with the water gilrs because he had a similar job at UK
WC Mom

United States

#5 May 24, 2009
NOBODY cares what he did at UK. That is never mentioned by him or the players! What I as a parent care about is the way he treats the kids and he is good to the kids. That is what matters. He is a FOOTBALL coach. Football is tough, if your child is not tough enough to play football under this staff - they will not be able to play anywhere! If you do not have a child playing under him now or in the near future, this is none of your business anyway!!!
Former water girl

United States

#6 May 24, 2009
Ok so when did it become a job requirement to have incredible field experience? To be on a college football team you have to really bust your ass and be number one. Some people coach better than they play. I agree with WC Mom. BTW does anyone ask you why you are doing what you are doing now because of things you did when you were in college? Instead of getting a big head and refusing to work with a small school Coach came here and he and his staff are doing that.
I Think

Clarksville, TN

#7 May 24, 2009
I think what "Billy" is referring to is the recent bashing of Bodenhamer, Adams, and Schuler. I also think the difference is none of those three are willing to play politics. Perry is a politician. Seriously, he ought to go into politics. Because he plays that pretty well. It's tough on "outsiders" in Washington County.

I think if you call one coach out for inappropriate language then you have to hold the other coaches accountable too. That is not being done. That's not right or fair. But that's life.

Like the other coaches, Perry has gotten all he can out of the athletes he has. He has to be commended for that. If Perry carried a clip board around on the sidelines at UK then I would have to say he most likely learned a great deal from that experience.

Of all the "outsiders" Perry seems to be the most embraced. Basically he is a "good ole boy" now. I don't, however, think that should be a requirement to coach in Washington County. And we know what a "good ole boy" town Springfield is. This is UK territory too and UK players have "rock god" status. That helps.

If people are going to appraise the athletic acheivements this past season, realistically, Schuler accomplished the most. The baseball team finished with a winning record and beat some notable opponents. Other than that, I don't know where else you can look. WCMS had a very good year in football for a change and their basketball team was pretty good. The freshmen basketball team did pretty well too.

I don't know if our coaches are good teachers but I think they have done pretty much all they could with what they had to work with. The talent level is just not there. I think they are all working pretty hard. Obviously, the band deserves all the accolades. They won their state competition. I also hear we have a pretty good tennis player at the high school who has a chance to win it all. State champs in band and tennis. I think that would be great!
poo

United States

#8 May 24, 2009
I think all the coaches suck....shit we never win anything!
Haterz

Madisonville, KY

#9 Jun 25, 2009
Wow, why all the hatred? Coach perry is the best thing thats ever happened to this town. Hes a great coach on and off the field. I think fat ass billy here is just pissed cuz his lil uncoordinated son didnt get to play. hahaha
you try it

Winchester, KY

#10 Jun 26, 2009
Billy wrote:
Everyone wants to get on here and bash our HS coaches but at what point are they going to start bashing Perry? I mean, what the hell has he done in his time here? Does his 1/3 passing attempts at UK really make him "The Man" in Springfield? A lot of kids could walk on at a major university and get in for a couple of plays and say they played at the highest level. How does this make him such a "god" around here? He is just as vulgar, if not more so, than any other coach that has ever coached here. You should stop by the weight room sometime. You would really be astonished at what was being said in there. Is 3 wins last year, not much more than that the year before, really enough to keep him off the hot seat? I would really just like to know what makes him so special to this community.
So you think any kid could walk on at any major university? then you try it!! I want to see you take on a 6'3 250 guy all day in practice! you wouldnt make it thru try outs much less even get pass the practice squad!!! so to be a back up QB means alot!! It just tells me you know nothing about football! Coach perry cares about his kids he trys to make it fun for them!! if your worried about vulgar language you should have taught your kid better!! the kids mouths are worse!
Teacher

Clarksville, TN

#11 Jun 26, 2009
I think all the coaches work hard and care about the kids. A couple of them actually teach too.
i played for him

Winchester, KY

#12 Jul 10, 2009
he doesn't care about the kids, all he cares about is football, he always got on players that had to leave practice because of work, in my eyes he sucks he changed the way we played we went from a running school to a passing school
Hello

Clarksville, TN

#13 Jul 11, 2009
Well hell, what's wrong with passing? It's fun to watch.
your choice

United States

#14 Jul 11, 2009
If your going to play a team sport, you have to be committed to the team. It is not fair for players to not practice and get to play. I do think the coaches should make a schedule and go strictly by that schedule so that you can work around it. If your going to play football or any sport, get a job that you can schedule around football or choose between the two!
dogg

Stanford, KY

#15 Jul 11, 2009
Hell lets hire Barry Switzer and run the Wishbone get over it this is not 1980 anymore. We dont have 250 Pound lineman The offense is fine when the D catches up WC will be fine
Hello

Clarksville, TN

#16 Jul 11, 2009
I agree with your choice. Coaches need to make a schedule and stick with it.
tell em

Winchester, KY

#17 Jul 12, 2009
I tell you Coach plays favorites but he is a good coach. Gets the best from what he has. If they had a better defense last year state contenders for sure in 2A. but he does play favorites. Id like to see him stick around just because a team is never goin to get anywhere if every three or four years theres a new coach.
Hello

Anderson, SC

#18 Jul 12, 2009
That is always said about coaches. I don't think Coach Perry plays favorites. Plus, he went to the passing game to give WC the best chance to win. WC will have their time. There is a little talent on the way. Be patient. I will agree we need to keep our coaches around. The merry-go-round of coaches the past few years hasn't helped.
thanks

United States

#19 Aug 4, 2009
So far, I have nothing, but praise for Coach Perry & his staff. I was somewhat nervous at first with the language, but I tried to teach my kids right from wrong. Plus, not saying it is right, but wait til they go into the work place. My kid has really enjoyed practice and I can see a maturing side of him, he is becoming more responsible. Plus, Coach Perry & his staff do make it fun for the kids like the wet camping trip. Also, my son informed me that his coaches told the players if they have any trouble with their classes come see them, they would try & help by tutoring. That in my eye is the biggest. So, I have to say I think Coach Perry & his staff are a great for the kids.
Defense

Lexington, KY

#20 Aug 4, 2009
You would think he would find someone better suited to call the defense instead of Van Winkel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mercer Schools over spend again 58 min Wondering 12
When Trump Loses, What Excuse Will You Use? 1 hr red v blue 3
Mercer CPS and family court 4 hr Bring CPS down 22
Mudd Trailor Park 9 hr Joker 3
blake or victoria Releford 11 hr Gotcha 3
Marshall Remodeling 12 hr just asking 1
Let themselves go Sat Imagirlll 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages