Episcopal bishops agree not to help b...

Episcopal bishops agree not to help breakaway congregations

There are 6 comments on the Religion News Service story from Mar 21, 2013, titled Episcopal bishops agree not to help breakaway congregations. In it, Religion News Service reports that:

The Episcopal Church has a new commandment for its bishops: Thou shalt not assist former Episcopalians who are trying to take the church's assets.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Religion News Service.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#1 Mar 22, 2013
RNS) The Episcopal Church has a new commandment for its bishops: Thou shalt not assist former Episcopalians who are trying to take the church’s assets.

Church leaders have reached an agreement with nine bishops who had supported breakaway congregations in Texas and Illinois court cases. Courts have been sorting out who controls properties and other assets when congregations leave the denomination.

Under the terms, the nine bishops “express regret for any harm” to the Dioceses of Quincy (Ill.) and Fort Worth (Texas) as a result of their actions, which included filing amicus briefs that were sympathetic with the breakaway groups.

The bishops also pledged to stop supporting breakaway groups in court cases, at least until the church’s General Convention addresses the matter in 2015. They also agree to help defray costs incurred by the church in reaching the accord.

You're either part of TEC or you're not.....

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#2 Mar 22, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
RNS) The Episcopal Church has a new commandment for its bishops: Thou shalt not assist former Episcopalians who are trying to take the church’s assets.
Church leaders have reached an agreement with nine bishops who had supported breakaway congregations in Texas and Illinois court cases. Courts have been sorting out who controls properties and other assets when congregations leave the denomination.
Under the terms, the nine bishops “express regret for any harm” to the Dioceses of Quincy (Ill.) and Fort Worth (Texas) as a result of their actions, which included filing amicus briefs that were sympathetic with the breakaway groups.
The bishops also pledged to stop supporting breakaway groups in court cases, at least until the church’s General Convention addresses the matter in 2015. They also agree to help defray costs incurred by the church in reaching the accord.
You're either part of TEC or you're not.....
These divisive issues sometimes draw sharp distinctions within the individual parish. I know, here in Illinois, both the Dioceses of Quincy and of Springfield have groups within each parish who are deeply divided.

Rev. Ken

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#3 Mar 22, 2013
Stay or Leave....either way is ok. BUT IT IS NOT OK TO STEAL!!!!
What

Ava, MO

#4 Mar 22, 2013
Yes by all means don't steal but it is ok to steal the Word of the Lord and alter it to support the abomination of Sodom. Practice what you preach.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#5 Mar 22, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
These divisive issues sometimes draw sharp distinctions within the individual parish. I know, here in Illinois, both the Dioceses of Quincy and of Springfield have groups within each parish who are deeply divided.
Rev. Ken
I understand totally. It's sad to see the emotions involved. If we could just harness the energy and turn it into compassion.

Someday....

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#6 Mar 22, 2013
What wrote:
Yes by all means don't steal but it is ok to steal the Word of the Lord and alter it to support the abomination of Sodom. Practice what you preach.
No, we're very hospitable, The Episcopal Church Welcome You, even you with your misunderstanding of the sin of Sodom....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pirate Pete's Family Entertainment Centers comi... (Sep '08) Jul 19 Rabid squirrel 4
News Illinois Senate nixes vetoes of budget plan wit... Jul 6 Red Crosse 7
Where did the vegetable fruit produce lady go? Jul 2 Dave 2
News Illinois budget passes test run, but deadline w... Jul 1 Genl Forrest 2
News Illinois lawmakers scramble to approve budget b... Jun 29 USS LIBERTY 1
Illinois - A Failed State Jun 25 Old Confederate 1
anyone needing yard work done?? May '17 lomelinolawns 1

Springfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages