Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13309 May 26, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
"The higher pay of union jobs represents nothing more than an unfair tax on consumers."

Interesting no one has been able to debate or refute the above comment nor others ones by Mr. Conard.

Also interesting that the clueless and uneducated wouldn't look at it and say union members should take "less" to benefit everyone. Nope, the rich should pay more in taxes

Hypocrisy?
Refute it ?

I crushed it.

Labor is but one cost of production or services.

And even that just doesn't matter.

Since you are either intentionally dense, or really have no concept of how capitalism works - let me once again explain an immutable fact of business:

Prices reflect the most that can be charged for a good or service, the cost of production is almost meaningless.

For example:

Our dinner companions last night showed me the Rolex Explorer his wife bought my friend to celebrate his sale of a business.

Now, the cost of the materials and the labor required to produce his new "Explorer" is no more than the cost of the materials and labor it required to produce the Tag "Tiger Woods" watch he wore for the past year.

But the cost was triple.

That's because labor, materials, advertising, and administration all form the "floor" of the price range, but:

Products are placed at the highest price possible, regardless of the underlying costs incurred.

One more example for our "slow" friends.

A beginning attorney will start out charging $250 an hour for his services. As he gains experience and ability, his hourly rate climbs to $400 to $500 an hour.

That attorney may, in fact have used technology to reduce his costs substantially, yet he charges more than ever for his services, because he can.

Increased labor costs simply distribute more of the profit to the workers who help create it, and less to the owners.

If you continue to profess the idiotic believe that increased labor costs increase price, it's proof you are simply a Right Wing Wacko propagandist, unworthy of serious consideration.

Now, I'll return to my Monte Cristo cigar, which costs 2X the cost of the cigar my Dad is enjoying, even though they are manufactured with the same labor cost.

You see, those who sell Monte Cristos charge 2X as much, because they can.
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13310 May 26, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>Refute it ?

I crushed it.

Labor is but one cost of production or services.

And even that just doesn't matter.

Since you are either intentionally dense, or really have no concept of how capitalism works - let me once again explain an immutable fact of business:

Prices reflect the most that can be charged for a good or service, the cost of production is almost meaningless.

For example:

Our dinner companions last night showed me the Rolex Explorer his wife bought my friend to celebrate his sale of a business.

Now, the cost of the materials and the labor required to produce his new "Explorer" is no more than the cost of the materials and labor it required to produce the Tag "Tiger Woods" watch he wore for the past year.

But the cost was triple.

That's because labor, materials, advertising, and administration all form the "floor" of the price range, but:

Products are placed at the highest price possible, regardless of the underlying costs incurred.

One more example for our "slow" friends.

A beginning attorney will start out charging $250 an hour for his services. As he gains experience and ability, his hourly rate climbs to $400 to $500 an hour.

That attorney may, in fact have used technology to reduce his costs substantially, yet he charges more than ever for his services, because he can.

Increased labor costs simply distribute more of the profit to the workers who help create it, and less to the owners.

If you continue to profess the idiotic believe that increased labor costs increase price, it's proof you are simply a Right Wing Wacko propagandist, unworthy of serious consideration.

Now, I'll return to my Monte Cristo cigar, which costs 2X the cost of the cigar my Dad is enjoying, even though they are manufactured with the same labor cost.

You see, those who sell Monte Cristos charge 2X as much, because they can.
I'm sorry.

That was too vehement.

The new me is a kinder gentler me.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Even if it's wrong.

Have a great Memorial Day.
Turkey

Dahlonega, GA

#13311 May 26, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry.
That was too vehement.
The new me is a kinder gentler me.
You are entitled to your opinion.
Even if it's wrong.
Have a great Memorial Day.
Turkey man!!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13313 May 26, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, give you credit, you keep hammering away. A portion of what you posted is correct, a portion is completely wrong, a portion is your (usual) straw man argument regarding items that have not been debated. In other words, you know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know what’s going on. It appears you’ve never been involved in this part of business.
“Prices reflect the most that can be charged for a good or service, the cost of production is almost meaningless.”
LMAO. Prices are set to (hopefully) cover costs and generate an overall profit margin for the business. The higher the costs, the higher the price, otherwise the company may lose money. How does a company determine “the most that can be charged”?
Did you ever have an economics class? Probably not. Some interesting concepts to be learned.
“Products are placed at the highest price possible, regardless of the underlying costs incurred.”
Define “highest price possible”. How does a company determine “the highest price possible”? Wouldn’t the highest price possible be whatever they want it to be? What if their product doesn’t sell at that price?
LMAO again. In some cases, yes, in many cases, no. It depends on the product. I’m well aware a Cadillac has a higher per unit profit than a Malibu. However, competition CERTAINLY has a lot of impact on pricing. Ever bypass one gas station for another because it has a lower price? Ever comparison shop for anything? If you need an elective procedure done at a hospital or health care provider, do you comparison shop?
Ever sat on a pricing committee for a business? Many years ago, I was on a committee to determine pricing at a local hospital. Items for comparison were compared with other local hospitals (the competition), we could have charged more, but likely would have lost business.
Another BTW, labor costs are normally the highest single line item cost at a hospital. Think these costs would be lower without unions?
“A beginning attorney will start out charging $250 an hour for his services. As he gains experience and ability, his hourly rate climbs to $400 to $500 an hour.”
“That attorney may, in fact have used technology to reduce his costs substantially, yet he charges more than ever for his services, because he can.”
Only partially correct/accurate. Attorneys are a great example of where someone can price himself (or herself) out of business. If you’re having something fairly simple and routine done, are you going to the $100 an hour or $500 an hour attorney?
“If you continue to profess the idiotic believe that increased labor costs increase price...”
Wrong again. If I can sell something at $10 a unit whereas my competition (a union shop) has to sell at $12 a unit, all other things being equal, I’ll sell more than my competitor. Simple logic, one would think. Perhaps that’s what’s failing you. Simple logic.
While I somewhat understand your point, and while I have almost the same type of respect for cops as I do service men, I’ll “take” my 30+ years of accounting, finance and business experience over your experience, at least for this discussion.
That being said, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, even though you’re wrong.
BTW, I wouldn’t know about cigars, smoking is stupid. But it’s your right…

Location hidden

#13314 May 26, 2013
The above post is supposed to look a little more "readable":

Well, give you credit, you keep hammering away. A portion of what you posted is correct, a portion is completely wrong, a portion is your (usual) straw man argument regarding items that have not been debated.

In other words, you know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know what’s going on. It appears you’ve never been involved in this part of business.

“Prices reflect the most that can be charged for a good or service, the cost of production is almost meaningless.”

LMAO. Prices are set to (hopefully) cover costs and generate an overall profit margin for the business. The higher the costs, the higher the price, otherwise the company may lose money.

How does a company determine “the most that can be charged”?

Did you ever have an economics class? Probably not. Some interesting concepts to be learned.

“Products are placed at the highest price possible, regardless of the underlying costs incurred.”

Define “highest price possible”. How does a company determine “the highest price possible”? Wouldn’t the highest price possible be whatever they want it to be? What if their product doesn’t sell at that price?

LMAO again. In some cases, yes, in many cases, no. It depends on the product. I’m well aware a Cadillac has a higher per unit profit than a Malibu. However, competition CERTAINLY has a lot of impact on pricing. Ever bypass one gas station for another because it has a lower price? Ever comparison shop for anything? If you need an elective procedure done at a hospital or health care provider, do you comparison shop?

Ever sat on a pricing committee for a business? Many years ago, I was on a committee to determine pricing at a local hospital. Items for comparison were compared with other local hospitals (the competition), we could have charged more, but likely would have lost business.

Another BTW, labor costs are normally the highest single line item cost at a hospital. Think these costs would be lower without unions?

“A beginning attorney will start out charging $250 an hour for his services. As he gains experience and ability, his hourly rate climbs to $400 to $500 an hour.”

“That attorney may, in fact have used technology to reduce his costs substantially, yet he charges more than ever for his services, because he can.”

Only partially correct/accurate. Attorneys are a great example of where someone can price himself (or herself) out of business. If you’re having something fairly simple and routine done, are you going to the $100 an hour or $500 an hour attorney?

“If you continue to profess the idiotic believe that increased labor costs increase price...”

Wrong again. If I can sell something at $10 a unit whereas my competition (a union shop) has to sell at $12 a unit, all other things being equal, I’ll sell more than my competitor. Simple logic, one would think. Perhaps that’s what’s failing you.

Simple logic.

While I somewhat understand your point, and while I have almost the same type of respect for cops as I do service men, I’ll “take” my 30+ years of accounting, finance and business experience over your experience, at least for this discussion.

That being said, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, even though you’re wrong.

BTW, I wouldn’t know about cigars, smoking is stupid. But it’s your right…

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#13315 May 26, 2013
^^^Great post, Bill.

Location hidden

#13316 May 26, 2013
To all our veterans out there, those who served overseas and those who did not, but were willing to go if called - thank you for your service.

There was a slide show at our church this morning showing pictures of family members who were veterans who have since passed on. A number of the pictures were obviously WWII era. Some of them were such young boys. At the end of WWll, our nation had 16,000,000 veterans who had served in the war. We are losing them at a rate of 600/day and it is expected there will only be 1,000,000 left by the end of this year. My father in law was a bomber pilot and my father was a fighter pilot - both good men who have since passed on.

I am grateful to those today who are still willing to put on the uniform of our armed forces, knowing that they face the possibility of sacrificing their lives because they made that decision. I know a number of young people who are friends of my children who have made that commitment.
May God Bless them and Keep them.

Location hidden

#13317 May 26, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
To all our veterans out there, those who served overseas and those who did not, but were willing to go if called - thank you for your service.
There was a slide show at our church this morning showing pictures of family members who were veterans who have since passed on. A number of the pictures were obviously WWII era. Some of them were such young boys. At the end of WWll, our nation had 16,000,000 veterans who had served in the war. We are losing them at a rate of 600/day and it is expected there will only be 1,000,000 left by the end of this year. My father in law was a bomber pilot and my father was a fighter pilot - both good men who have since passed on.
I am grateful to those today who are still willing to put on the uniform of our armed forces, knowing that they face the possibility of sacrificing their lives because they made that decision. I know a number of young people who are friends of my children who have made that commitment.
May God Bless them and Keep them.
+1

abso-frickin'-lutely!
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13319 May 26, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
<quoted text>Well, give you credit, you keep hammering away. A portion of what you posted is correct, a portion is completely wrong, a portion is charged for a good or service, the cost of production is almost meaningless.”
LMAO. Prices are set to (hopefully) cover costs and generate an overall profit margin for the business. The higher the costs, the higher the price, otherwise the company may lose money. How does a company determine “the most that can be men, I’ll “take” my 30+ years of accounting, finance and business experience over your experience, at least for this discussion.
That being said, youÂ’re certainly entitled to your opinion, even though youÂ’re wrong.
BTW, I wouldnÂ’t know about cigars, smoking is stupid. But itÂ’s your rightÂ…
Ah.... Folks

Thank you for joining our tour.

Today, we'll be observing the The Right Wing Wacko, a species destined to extinction because they were never able to modify their beliefs or behavior, regardless of how obviously incorrect such beliefs were, or how self-defeating their conduct proves to be.

If only you had stayed awake in microeconomics and macroeconomics, and successfully operated a business, you'd have discovered one primary rule of business:

Businesses maximize profits by charging the price that results in the greatest revenue, while paying the least amount possible for any and all costs, labor being one of those costs.

Prices are not established to "cover costs". Never have been, never will be. Prices are set to maximize revenue. Always have been, always wi be.

That's called capitalism.

That wasn't so difficult to grasp, was it ?

Since you apparently rode the short bus to school, let me give you a few more examples. Maybe the sheer weight if reality will penetrate that Right Wing Wacko rust, and those neurons will start to fire.

Maybe a Right Winger will understand this example.

I was recently at a gun show, where I purchased a Colt AR-15 as a gift for a friend from several of us who admire him a great deal.

We paid almost $800 more for the AR-15, than I paid for the last Colt AR-15 I purchased, even though my Colt AR-15 was manufactured at the same time, in the same plant, by the same company.

The difference in price, therefore, could not possibly have anything to do with labor costs.

Why did the gun dealer charge nearly double the price for a duplicate AR-15, than he charges me for the one I previously bought, when there could not have possibly been any difference in labor costs ?

Because they can.

That's called maximizing revenue.

One more for our "Slow Learner" ;

An associate and I must visit the West Coast of Costa Rica in a few weeks. The labor costs in Costa Rica are 1/3 the labor costs in Chicago, yet we'll be paying more per night for the same quality hotel room as a Michigan Avenue hotel owned by the same corporation.

Why do they charge more for a room on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, even though their labor costs are 1/3 what they are in Chicago ?

Because they can.

That's called maximizing profit.

Let me know if you still don't understand. We'll keep trying, I bet you can get it sooner or later.
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13320 May 26, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>Ah.... Folks

I was recently at a gun show, where I purchased a Colt AR-15 as a gift for a friend from several of us who admire him a great deal.

We paid almost $800 more for the AR-15, than I paid for the last Colt AR-15 I purchased, even though my Colt AR-15 was manufactured at the same time, in the same plant, by the same company.

The difference in price, therefore, could not possibly have anything to do with labor costs.

Why did the gun dealer charge nearly double the price for a duplicate AR-15, than he charges me for the one I previously bought, when there could not have possibly been any difference in labor costs ?

Because they can.

An associate and I must visit the West Coast of Costa Rica in a few weeks. The labor costs in Costa Rica are 1/3 the labor costs in Chicago, yet we'll be paying more per night for the same quality hotel room as a Michigan Avenue hotel owned by the same corporation.

Why do they charge more for a room on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, even though their labor costs are 1/3 what they are in Chicago ?

Because they can.

Let me know if you still don't understand. We'll keep trying, I bet you can get it sooner or later.
By the way.

It's still the kinder gentler me.

Just having fun.

Perhaps you might also want to consider that:

with the productivity of the American worker at the highest point in history,
and
with real wages having not increased in the the last 3 decades,(actually dropping when adjusted for inflation),
then
those static wages, and dramatically increased worker productivity, should have resulted in astounding price deflation,

if labor costs directly impact prices.

But they don't.

Instead, not surprisingly, we have experienced annual inflation rates between 2% to 4%.

Those static wages and increased productivity has translated into exploding profits, as the corporations simply enjoy higher RPE,(Revenue Per Employees).

Without unions to force employers to reward employees for their increased productivity,
it is a shock !
shock !
I tell you,
that instead, employers simply enjoy the highest profits in history, while demanding those greedy workers take another pay cut.

Businesses exist to maximize profits by charging the highest price per unit possible, while paying the least possible for the costs of production,(including labor).

As a stockholder, I want management to screw it's employees and increase my ROI.
My portfolio is doing well thank you.

If the employees who work for the companies in which I own stock are too ignorant or lazy to form a union and bargain for increased wages and benefits - that's not my fault.

Heck, they're probably Right Wing Wackos fighting against the very unions that would force some of my profits into their pockets.

Amazing to watch how hard Right Wing Wackos work to make others more and more money.

Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13321 May 26, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>By the way.

It's still the kinder gentler me.

Just having fun.

Perhaps you might also want to consider that:

with the productivity of the American worker at the highest point in history,
and
with real wages having not increased in the the last 3 decades,(actually dropping when adjusted for inflation),
then
those static wages, and dramatically increased worker productivity, should have resulted in astounding price deflation,

if labor costs directly impact prices.

But they don't.

Instead, not surprisingly, we have experienced annual inflation rates between 2% to 4%.

Those static wages and increased productivity has translated into exploding profits, as the corporations simply enjoy higher RPE,(Revenue Per Employees).

Without unions to force employers to reward employees for their increased productivity,
it is a shock !
shock !
I tell you,
that instead, employers simply enjoy the highest profits in history, while demanding those greedy workers take another pay cut.

Businesses exist to maximize profits by charging the highest price per unit possible, while paying the least possible for the costs of production,(including labor).

As a stockholder, I want management to screw it's employees and increase my ROI.
My portfolio is doing well thank you.

If the employees who work for the companies in which I own stock are too ignorant or lazy to form a union and bargain for increased wages and benefits - that's not my fault.

Heck, they're probably Right Wing Wackos fighting against the very unions that would force some of my profits into their pockets.

Amazing to watch how hard Right Wing Wackos work to make others more and more money.
If I forget.

Happy Memorial Day.

Despite the harassing we give others here on TOPIX, we all do understand that most of us love our country and want our troops to be safe and sound.

Just wanted to get that in before the Wife complains I'm keeping the kids up too late for family "movie night".

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#13322 May 26, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed that, absent unions, American Workers are nothing but "Human Resources" a/k/a Serfs.
Agreed that, absent unions, the Middle Class and Americans' quality of life will continue to deteriorate.
Agreed that, as long as Right Wing Wackos are able to convince significant numbers of Americans that their only tried and true mechanism to maintain the Middle Class and a decent quality of life, i.e., unions, are "bad", America will continue to decline toward even more "Banana Republic" status.
But hey, I've got my pensions, the kids' educations are all prepaid, trusts are in place to assure graduate degrees are available, but if your want your kids to be serfs, good for you.
lol SO! You have yours, so screw everyone else. Just like a union thug.

I've no financial worries AND I didn't need a bullying, hostage holding union in order to achieve it.

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#13323 May 26, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
If I forget.
Happy Memorial Day.
Despite the harassing we give others here on TOPIX, we all do understand that most of us love our country and want our troops to be safe and sound.
Just wanted to get that in before the Wife complains I'm keeping the kids up too late for family "movie night".
Agree. Hope you've had a nice day with your family.
The WB

Warner Robins, GA

#13324 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Now does that idiotic post make sense even to you, an obviously mentally challenged child, whose Daddy dropped him on his head when he was young ?
You just saw simple straightforward evidence that cutting taxes on corporations, while increasing profits, actually results in higher unemployment.
Absent a recession, tax revenues always increase, whether or not tax rates are cuts. We grown ups call that "inflation" and "growth".
Can you even comprehend how stupid that theory of yours is ?
If cutting taxes always results in increased revenue,
then all we have to do is cut taxes on the rich and the corporations to zero %, and money is gonna flown into the treasury so fast and heavy we'll never be able to spend it all.
Have you happened to notice that whenever Ronnie Ray-Gun cut taxes on the rich - the deficit exploded and the national debt doubled ?
Have you happened to notice that when Bush cut taxes on the rich the deficit exploded and the national debt tripled ?
With your obvious retardation issues, I gotta ask, do they actually allow you to feed yourself, or do they put a football helmet on you and feed you pudding through the face mask.
Any liar can make a graph and I suspect this is the case in this particular graph.
You obviously know absolutely nothing about tax revenue vs. tax rates. You also have no clue where anything related to private industry and profitability.
Were the "numbers" on the graph leading or lagging? What else was going on when these huge profits were realized?
You are a dishonest person spouting dishonest information. Figures don't lie, but liars use figures.
Lower the tax rates on corporate profits and watch the money flow into the American economy. Keep rates as they are or make them more punitive and the slow slog will continue.
Of course I don't expect you to understand any of this- you've obviously been the beneficiary of a taxpayer funded liberal arts education.
The WB

Warner Robins, GA

#13325 May 27, 2013
Informed Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah.... Folks
Thank you for joining our tour.
Today, we'll be observing the The Right Wing Wacko, a species destined to extinction because they were never able to modify their beliefs or behavior, regardless of how obviously incorrect such beliefs were, or how self-defeating their conduct proves to be.
If only you had stayed awake in microeconomics and macroeconomics, and successfully operated a business, you'd have discovered one primary rule of business:
Businesses maximize profits by charging the price that results in the greatest revenue, while paying the least amount possible for any and all costs, labor being one of those costs.
Prices are not established to "cover costs". Never have been, never will be. Prices are set to maximize revenue. Always have been, always wi be.
That wasn't so difficult to grasp, was it ?
Since you apparently rode the short bus to school, let me give you a few more examples. Maybe the sheer weight if reality will penetrate that Right Wing Wacko rust, and those neurons will start to fire.
Because they can.
Because they can.
Supply and demand. A concept that used to be taught in grade school. You must have been absent that day.
ChicknButt

Douglasville, GA

#13326 May 27, 2013
The WB wrote:
<quoted text>
Supply and demand. A concept that used to be taught in grade school. You must have been absent that day.
For some of us, our educations extended beyond grade-school.
golf trip

Cleveland, GA

#13327 May 27, 2013
Bill in Dville wrote:
"The higher pay of union jobs represents nothing more than an unfair tax on consumers."
Interesting no one has been able to debate or refute the above comment nor others ones by Mr. Conard.
Also interesting that the clueless and uneducated wouldn't look at it and say union members should take "less" to benefit everyone. Nope, the rich should pay more in taxes
Hypocrisy?
Hypocrisy, that's your middle name. If I recall correctly you have bragged many times about being in management in the health care business, I believe at a hospital. While you are off on your golf trip to Vegas many hard working people are still paying after many years for that 3 day stay in your hospital. A place where competition you also believe to be a foundation of our country is nonexistent. A place where shopping for the best deal is just not allowed, they say its not possible. A place where management pays 50 thousand dollars for a bed. Or 1 million for a scanner you can get for 20 thousand if you are working in the auto industry. Reason is management has no reason to control costs, its a pass along business like our local power company. The clueless and uneducated you so loath look at the bill from their local hospital and wonder why they just can't take less for the good of all. They don't call it an unfair tax on consumers, they call it extreme greed to the extent it borders on being robbery.
I hope you are enjoying your early retirement and all the perks that came with the job. I hope just once in a while you think to yourself, I should have done more to help the common man instead of just myself. But we all know that never happened. Cross the border and the same procedures cost less so costs can be reduced. But people like you truly believe you are superior and are only interested in that golf trip

Location hidden

#13328 May 27, 2013
golf trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Hypocrisy, that's your middle name. If I recall correctly you have bragged many times about being in management in the health care business, I believe at a hospital. While you are off on your golf trip to Vegas many hard working people are still paying after many years for that 3 day stay in your hospital. A place where competition you also believe to be a foundation of our country is nonexistent. A place where shopping for the best deal is just not allowed, they say its not possible. A place where management pays 50 thousand dollars for a bed. Or 1 million for a scanner you can get for 20 thousand if you are working in the auto industry. Reason is management has no reason to control costs, its a pass along business like our local power company. The clueless and uneducated you so loath look at the bill from their local hospital and wonder why they just can't take less for the good of all. They don't call it an unfair tax on consumers, they call it extreme greed to the extent it borders on being robbery.
I hope you are enjoying your early retirement and all the perks that came with the job. I hope just once in a while you think to yourself, I should have done more to help the common man instead of just myself. But we all know that never happened. Cross the border and the same procedures cost less so costs can be reduced. But people like you truly believe you are superior and are only interested in that golf trip
Bill can do a much better job with this, but I do have a question:

"Or 1 million for a scanner you can get for 20 thousand if you are working in the auto industry."

I am not saying that a piece of "scanning" equipment that is used in both hospitals and in the auto industry does not exist, but would you please identify it? I am curious as to what it is. If this is from an article about hospital costs, I would be interested in reading it.

And on a completely different tangent:
"Reason is management has no reason to control costs, its a pass along business like our local power company."
There are only two reasons for a statement this broad: sloppiness or complete ignorance. Management that does not control costs will not be management for long.

Location hidden

#13329 May 27, 2013
golf trip wrote:
<quoted text>
Response Part 1:

LMAO, you are so clueless and uneducated in SO many ways...You should have had your Wheaties before posting...

"If I recall correctly you have bragged many times about being in management in the health care business, I believe at a hospital."

I haven't worked in a hospital in around 18 years.

I AM proud of what my employers have accomplished. Several of our "early" employees at the last company made into 7 figures in stock/option payouts. EVERY employee at that company had option they made a profit on. Our original investors had over a 40x return on their investments. YEP, I am PROUD.

"While you are off on your golf trip to Vegas"

Your "cheap shot" anger about me enjoying I trip I've earned is duly noted. Grow up.

"A place where competition you also believe to be a foundation of our country is nonexistent."

If you don't believe there's competition between hospitals, you're not worth the time or effort to have a "conversation" with. Likely the only hospital not competing for business is Grady in downtown Atlanta, but (assuming you know how to operate a radio and/or TV) there seems to be a lot of ads for them in the Atlanta area media.

If hospitals don't get patients and make money (a pretty damn good reason to contain costs, one with any common sense would think), they will be out of business or have to severely reduce services.

"A place where shopping for the best deal is just not allowed, they say its not possible."

If a woman wanted a boob job (or another fairly "simple" elective procedure not covered by insurance), they can shop around can't they? Heard any ads for Lasik or any other eye procedures lately?

"A place where management pays 50 thousand dollars for a bed."

I don't recall hospital beds costing that much, but they're used for many years. Perhaps you could research and provide a link showing the cost of a hospital bed (not all the electronic attachments) rather than picking a number out of your clueless butt...

"Or 1 million for a scanner you can get for 20 thousand if you are working in the auto industry."

Oh, really? Perhaps you could provide the name of said scanner that can be acquired by the auto industry.

"Reason is management has no reason to control costs, its a pass along business like our local power company."

That likely will be the most clueless and uneducated statement made in this thread for a LONG time.

Saving or reducing costs helps increase the bottom line (profit). Do you know what that is? If companies (including health care facilities) don’t make money, they go out of business.

“its a pass along business”

Really? Perhaps you could learn how Medicare pays for inpatient stays (I believe still on the DRG basis, meaning a fixed amount, regardless of the cost, unless it's an "outlier" case, which would be way too hard to explain to you). Most Medicaid plans pay a fixed amount per day, regardless of what it costs. Checked on managed care rates lately? Probably not. Looked at an EOB lately to see what's billed and what the ultimate payment to the provider is? You REALLY should know what you're talking about before spouting off.

A long time ago, Medicare and most Blue Cross plans were "cost based", meaning those programs paid their share of costs based on certain calculations. It changed in the 80s. Perhaps your logic and knowledge are still back in that time frame.

If a hospital (and other health care providers) doesn’t contain costs where it can, LIKE ANY OTHER BUSINESS, it will suffer the consequences, including bankruptcy.

“I hope you are enjoying your early retirement and all the perks that came with the job.”

I am. Thank you. I’m very fortunate to be in the situation I am, but I worked my ass of for it, too. You could do the same, too. Why don't you?
Informed Opinion

Lehigh Acres, FL

#13330 May 27, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>lol SO! You have yours, so screw everyone else. Just like a union thug.

I've no financial worries AND I didn't need a bullying, hostage holding union in order to achieve it.
Nope, you just needed to screw your employees out of a living wage, pensions, and benefits.

Hey, don't forget, there is stilly prison labor and child labor available in China.
It's not to late to screw them too.

Like Warren Buffet, the Billionaire investor said: There is a war between the Rich and the Middle Class, and we're winning.

But, don't worry, the little people exist to be used by you, for your personal aggrandizement.

Like John D. Rockefeller said: The American people want to be ruled by a privileged elite. If they didn't, they'd stop us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Live Bait Vending Machine Mar 6 Fighingintheham 1
News Court date set for Rincon chief's traffic charges (May '15) Feb '17 Who_ peepers 2
News City of Pooler launches new cell phone app Feb '17 vondes 1
Beware of Pedophiles wearing robes (Mar '16) Jan '17 Sarah 4
Buddy Carter on Trump Dec '16 Tattle Tale 4
Immigration What Are They Thinking (Jan '16) Oct '16 Astonished 18
Looking for Fun? (Sep '16) Sep '16 Carl 3

Springfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springfield Mortgages