police profiling and illegal procedures
charley heston

United States

#23 Sep 25, 2010
Harrassed in the Boro wrote:
I had four (yes, I literally mean four) officers at my house for an hour on the report that I had stolen lumber from a construction site. The reality was that I had been dumpster diving with my ten year old for scraps to use to build a tree fort. The job site had tons on uncut pieces of lumber that were untouched, and when the SPD showed up and found a half a dozen pieces of cut lumber in my garage they were sure they had cracked a serious case. The officer freaked out when I used the term dude and told me that he was going to arrest me. They were prepared to enter my house to arrest me (I was in the basement and did not hear the doorbell), but my dogs encouraged them to stay outside. Officer Dunkel was the most immature unprofessional police officer I have ever come accross. If he is a typical SPD member, then we need to clean house starting with the Chief who must condone such behavior since I don't seem to be the only one that has issues with them.
I will not only never vote for a police levy again, but I will lead the campaign against it.
don't forget our own fake hero, the mayor. he pulls strings with the spd.
Common Sense

Dayton, OH

#24 Oct 1, 2010
swordfish wrote:
last night at 1:30 a.m. my daughters friend was pulled over leaving my houes and detained for 1/2 hour for no reason. When she asked why she was pulled over the officer asked what are you doing and where were you. THIS IS NOT A REASON to pull over a 19 year old girl!!! how rude and how illegal!!!!! Who do they think they are THE NAZI, what gives the Springboro Police the right to do as they please!! the constitutions give us a right to MOVE FREELY AS WE PLEASE and if we are NOT breaking the law then there is on reason to do what this officer did.I think that this is law suite time and retraining for the mis trained young inexperianced officers . I blame the Chief if he allows this, he needs retraining or replacement. THIS REALLY UPSETS ME AS YOU CAN TELL. Please if you have kids and love them and want them to grow up respecting for the police and the laws then we need to unit and regester all the illegal stops and illegal questioning by our OUT OF CONTROL OFFICERS. They need training and some one in charge with a respect to the people of the community which they are hired and paid by us to protect and work with NOT HASSEL AND DEGRADE !!!!
Please respod and get involved if not it could get really bad. Think of our children..
I live off of Gilpin Dr. in Springboro. The plice deserve every right to stop crime within the writ of the law; however, it is up to the citezenry to become aware of their rights and stand up for themselves. I am an addict and have multiple felonies in my background, though I am now a student and have been drug/crime free for five years now. I am also gainfully employed. A few weeks ago, I was walking from my apartment on Gilpin to a gas station. Earlier in the night, I was speaking on the phone when a bicycle cop rolled through our apartment complex. I waved to him. Well, when returning from the gas station I was stopped by the same officer. I was like, "Didn't I wave to you." This didn't deter him from demanding my i.d. and running it. With my backgroung I knew he was going to want to search me. I began asking him questions about why he had stopped me... things like Is it illegal to walk this late?... or Do I fit a profile being a young white male with a ball cap to the side? Eventually, needless to say, he decided not to search me because I was obviously aware of my rights. I was honest and considerate. He does have a job to do and at one point it would have been smart to stop me. However, police learn an us and them mentality that would be a part of any psychology on a sports team. It is beneficial for them to think that way... like a defense mechanism. Citizens must learn this and how to exploit it to preserve their rights. Many people in jail and conviceted of various crimes, have pled to cases they could have beaten due to rights infringements. It's just easier to take a plea deal to get out now than to fight for your rights. Police are versed in the law and they prey upon people's ignorance of it and are often bullies. If you don't believe it, just check out the standford studies of the mock prison students did in school. Just try an be compassionate. If you can remember that a poliice officer is a person, maybe they can remember you are too.
mike

Springfield, OH

#25 Nov 11, 2010
Over paid 16 weeks of school and given a gun. lol The local gas station attendant is in more danger than the springboro police officer but they will exagerate their jobs dangers.. SPD needs to be sued so they can't afford to commit civil rights violations.
Reformer

United States

#26 Nov 19, 2010
Please please please!!!! If you feel you were mis-treated by SPD write a letter to the Ohio Attorney General.

Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray
30 E. Broad St., 17th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215

Don't send email, send an actual letter.

Keep it brief and ask for them to investigate the SPD for Illegal stops and abuse of power.
Current Boro Resident

Loveland, OH

#27 Feb 12, 2011
How's this for SPD incompetence?

My home was robbed Monday but the police deny anyone even entered my home "because there were no wet footprints" in my house. Because there was snow on the ground, they are 100% sure that they should've left tracks in my house. I have a rug right by my door and there's a concrete patio between the snow and my back door. Seems logical to me that between the concrete and the rug, my floor wouldn't have wet footprints!

I'm so ticked!

Do I have any means to complain?
incompetent officials

Dayton, OH

#28 Feb 12, 2011
Current Boro Resident wrote:
How's this for SPD incompetence?
My home was robbed Monday but the police deny anyone even entered my home "because there were no wet footprints" in my house. Because there was snow on the ground, they are 100% sure that they should've left tracks in my house. I have a rug right by my door and there's a concrete patio between the snow and my back door. Seems logical to me that between the concrete and the rug, my floor wouldn't have wet footprints!
I'm so ticked!
Do I have any means to complain?
yea, call your council person, or the mayor they will tell you the same thing, "don't bother me".
fuct by boro also

Cleveland, OH

#29 May 7, 2011
i was sitting on my front porch smoking a cig last summer and "got pulled over" wtf? The pig asked for my id and i said it was inside the house. He questioned me for at least 20 mins.? I have sat on my porch and watched thousands of drivers speed by going 45mphs or fatser in a 25mph zone and have NEVER seen anyone pulled over? the SPD makes me want to move out of this town...which i'm in the process of doing!
fuct by boro also

Cleveland, OH

#30 May 7, 2011
I ask anyone that has the chance and who isn't afriad of getting pulled over for no reason to drive past the SPD and count how many police cars,vans and SUV's this tiny town has? It seems that the only people that get pulled over in springboro are also the only people that live here and make their undesereved paychecks available!!
Movin On

Conway, SC

#31 May 8, 2011
There's a great video on youtube on how to handle an encounter with the police.

Link:


You should watch it with your kids; it's an eye opener. I had my son watch it. I lived in Springboro and walked all the time and constantly saw teenagers pulled over. It usually involved 2-3 squad cars. The Springboro police do travel in packs.
John

United States

#32 Jun 2, 2011
I read with interest the recent article about the Roving OVI Checkpoints conducted by The Combined Agency OVI Task Force of Montgomery County on May 28th. After reading this article, I am concerned about our basic rights in the U.S. being eroded more and more as we justify any means felt necessary to reach a desired objective.
One of the basic tenants our country is founded upon is the freedom from unreasonable search and seizure by our government. Preserving this right is so important, that the Supreme Court has issued literally dozens of opinions and strict decisions that outline what types of searches and seizure are and are not permitted and appropriate for law enforcement or other government agencies to conduct.
Not that not that many years ago, we used to require "Probable Cause" by any government agency to stop and "arrest" you.(make no mistake, being stopped and detained by an authority for questioning even temporarily, is being "arrested" if only 10 minutes). Proof that a reasonable suspicion had existed was required by judges, and propbably cause then had to be proven early on in the case proceedings to prove the legitimacy of anything that was found while conducting a search of someone's person or property. This was all in place to ensure that we were not trampling on the rights of law abiding citizens while conducting necessary policing actions to help curb crime.
More recently, DUI checkpoints were put in place in Ohio to attempt to proactively target locations that were felt to be problem areas for impaired drivers. These checkpoints were allowed by the U.S. Supreme court, in part, to try and serve the greater good of communities by targeting impaired drivers in high risk areas who posed a safety risk to everyone. Fortunately/unfortunately, it seems that few actual DUI/OVI suspects are caught in these checkpoints, but many law abiding citizens are stopped, required to produce their paperwork, and be subjected to search, simply for driving on a particular street at a particular time of day.
Now, we are facing an even more of a challenge to our basic rights - "Roving OVI Checkpoints". The "Roving Checkpoint" is all the reason an officer needs to stop and arrest your movement - directly contrary to the basic tenants our country was built upon. These stops affect law abiding citizens disproportionately more-so than others. While the arrestee's papers and computer records are being checked, a typical stop also involves visually and often physically searching a persons property while under temporary arrest by the agency conducting the checkpoint. Only after proving oneself "safe" to be released back into the community is a person released. Expanding the scope of these checkpoints by issuing citations for other infractions to justify the checkpoint as a whole is another topic for another letter.
In the DDN article, the Roving Checkpoints conducted by The Combined Agency OVI Task Force of Montgomery County fortunately/unfortunately netted ZERO OVI violations after stopping 1322 vehicles/people for questioning. Remember - OVI was the primary purpose here. While not finding ANY OVI violations, 2 people were arrested and detained - one for an open container, and one for narcotics violations - The remaining 7 "paperwork violators" were given tickets. These numbers seems to be pretty par for the course for these checkpoints - stop hundreds if not thousands of citizens, spend thousands or dollars on overtime and resources, and catch a minuscule number of actual criminals - in this case 2 people, or 00.151% of those stopped. Are these OVI Checkpoints effective based on past history? would you stand for being randomly searched at your local retailer, because they have a shoplifting problem?
Maybe we can think of a better way, since these results don't seem to be very effective.
itsme

North East, MD

#33 Dec 23, 2011
swordfish wrote:
last night at 1:30 a.m. my daughters friend was pulled over leaving my houes and detained for 1/2 hour for no reason. When she asked why she was pulled over the officer asked what are you doing and where were you. THIS IS NOT A REASON to pull over a 19 year old girl!!! how rude and how illegal!!!!! Who do they think they are THE NAZI, what gives the Springboro Police the right to do as they please!! the constitutions give us a right to MOVE FREELY AS WE PLEASE and if we are NOT breaking the law then there is on reason to do what this officer did.I think that this is law suite time and retraining for the mis trained young inexperianced officers . I blame the Chief if he allows this, he needs retraining or replacement. THIS REALLY UPSETS ME AS YOU CAN TELL. Please if you have kids and love them and want them to grow up respecting for the police and the laws then we need to unit and regester all the illegal stops and illegal questioning by our OUT OF CONTROL OFFICERS. They need training and some one in charge with a respect to the people of the community which they are hired and paid by us to protect and work with NOT HASSEL AND DEGRADE !!!!
Please respod and get involved if not it could get really bad. Think of our children..
i just started walking home from work in elkton and have been stopped by cops 3 out of 3 days for no reson at all so i understand
AlawKnowingCitiz en

United States

#34 Jan 13, 2012
I wish the cops would pull sum garbage like that on me, and when they ask what your doing you say uh this is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA what do you mean what am I doing out at 1 am I can do what ever I want and right now you are harassing me. That usually sets them straight but most people don't know what to do because they panic. If the officer continues make sure you get his dash cam footage and if his camera wasn't on during the stop make sure you get a really good lawyer and claim police corruption, harassment and you did nothing wrong.
AlawKnowingCitiz en

United States

#35 Jan 13, 2012
And sum of u are dumb if the cop lied in court and there was no footage from pullover then you should have made up sum big lie about that cop in court if he was lien fair is fair say he said he was going to shoot you haha idk how this would work but you never know
AlawKnowingCitiz en

United States

#36 Jan 13, 2012
If this is all true contact the FBI and tell them you don't feel safe in your town because of the corrupt actions of the police, just make sure you have a few people to back your story with the same situation
Hey

United States

#37 Jan 13, 2012
Are we talking white or black people? Just saying might explain why and I'm not Raciest.
Upset Springboro Resident

Cincinnati, OH

#38 Apr 29, 2012
SPD is out of control and something must be done about the constant harrassment and balant violations of our constitutional rights. We are tax paying citizens of Springboro and it has gotten so bad that I try to avoid driving in Springboro if at all possible. They lie and come up with lame reasons to pull you over. They degrade and act in a very unprofessional manner and intimidate the tax paying residences of Springboro. Everyone knows about them and I have been informed from other agencies including Dayton, Miamisburg, and even Warren County Sheriff that they are ridiculus and over the top. Our citizens and residence need to stand up to Springboro PD and their out of control behavior and illegal stops, unprofessional conduct, and lies once and for all. These guys are the last people I would contact if I needed help. I would call the Warren County Sheriff and ask for help and instruct them in no way send Springboro PD as they are not wanted in our Town anymore. I am contacting the Mayor or Springbor, Warren County Justice Center and also the State of Ohio to launch an investigation into their abusive and unjust practices. SPRINGBORO PD YOUR DAY IS COMING. THE TRUTH ABOUT YOU WILL BE EXPOSED FOR ALL TO SEE. I will not relent until justice is served on the abuses of this municipal police department.
yeahhhhh

Collinsville, IL

#39 Sep 17, 2012
As a student in administration of justice here are simple words to maybe help you out:

An officer only needs reasonable suspicion to stop someone whether in a vehicle or walking down the street. They have to justify this if it ever makes it to the courts. Same goes for detaining. To detain is not the same as arrest.(honestly, what good can a teenager be up to driving around at 1:30am. just think about if it wasn't your kid, what conclusion would you draw.) and in these situations they can do what is called a terry stop or frisk where they feel only the out clothing

There is nothing saying an officer cannot ask to conduct a search. With permission they absolutely can but you can always rescind their ability to search your vehicle. yes, there are bad cops. but remember, they deal with the scum of the earth everyday. not everyone fits the typical 'bad guy' look so they always have to be alert and look out for their own safety. it's important to look at both sides. Don't stoop the the level of the bad cops.

Probable cause is needed for an arrest, such as a crime was committed in their presence or after making a reasonable suspicion stop he/she finds drugs, weapons, open container, etc. Again, the courts are in place to correct errors made by those type a, gung ho cops that get ahead of themselves.

educate yourself one what is truly legal and what is not. law enforcement is not black and white, it is mostly grey but we live in a checks and balances world and the courts will mostly likely catch the discrepancies.
BoroPoliceReform

Euclid, OH

#40 Oct 24, 2012
I would agree if you we were talking about Dayton, or Cinci or Riverside or Trotwood etc..

But we are talking about Springboro! A very quiet town filled with good people and extremely low crime.

Look at the stats, I honestly dont know why we have full time police dept.

All we need is to contract the Warren County Sheriff for the very limited services we need.

I wrote two anonymous letters to the Ohio Attorney Generals Office.

One was about the out of control dept as a whole, and the second was a request to investigate officer Nathan Anderkin, a man who should not be permitted to wear a badge or carry a gun.

Nathan has had one confirmed affair with a woman in Springboro, for those who know this - her first name is Julie and she lives off of Penyroyal - Oh yeah - I got the goods on this guy.

Why is this important?

Well Nathan is married, and hes having an affair with a married woman. This is "Conduct unbecoming" and it also puts Nathan in the position of being more likely to take a bribe etc.

Nathan is serious bad apple. He is also one of the most abusive officers I have ever seen.

Hes a little guy who feels big with a badge and gun, that is a total recipe for disaster.

I strongly encourage people to write a letter to Ohio Attorney Generals office.

Anonymous or not, they will see a pattern.
yeahhhhh wrote:
As a student in administration of justice here are simple words to maybe help you out:
An officer only needs reasonable suspicion to stop someone whether in a vehicle or walking down the street. They have to justify this if it ever makes it to the courts. Same goes for detaining. To detain is not the same as arrest.(honestly, what good can a teenager be up to driving around at 1:30am. just think about if it wasn't your kid, what conclusion would you draw.) and in these situations they can do what is called a terry stop or frisk where they feel only the out clothing
There is nothing saying an officer cannot ask to conduct a search. With permission they absolutely can but you can always rescind their ability to search your vehicle. yes, there are bad cops. but remember, they deal with the scum of the earth everyday. not everyone fits the typical 'bad guy' look so they always have to be alert and look out for their own safety. it's important to look at both sides. Don't stoop the the level of the bad cops.
Probable cause is needed for an arrest, such as a crime was committed in their presence or after making a reasonable suspicion stop he/she finds drugs, weapons, open container, etc. Again, the courts are in place to correct errors made by those type a, gung ho cops that get ahead of themselves.
educate yourself one what is truly legal and what is not. law enforcement is not black and white, it is mostly grey but we live in a checks and balances world and the courts will mostly likely catch the discrepancies.

“Tin Foil Hat applied to lower ”

Since: Jul 08

Allegeny

#41 Oct 26, 2012
I been back in this town after gone for 20 years, and the local springboro cops are all pretty much fresh off the boat and clueless to anything but traffic entrapment cronies. they are revenue machines period. I mean one cop sat in the middle of 741 waiting for me to turn right, once I did he nailed me for going into the left lane instead of the right lane, even though my property was less then 200 yards down the road so I needed that left lane.. nope violation 4511.36 or some chit..he didn't care, judge didn't care the court is setup to flush them in and process and out to a pay window, yup that is serving the public alright, right up the ass.
haha what a joke

Jamestown, NY

#44 Dec 12, 2013
I need some help answering my question. Would this be concidered illegal profiling? Yesterday i was stopped for a headlight out. I just left the auto store from buying the light. Not even 2 blocks out of the store i get pulled over. The police officer stops me. K not big deal. i have the light and the reciept. The officer comes to my window and asked for my licence and registration. I give it to him and i told him i knew why he pulled me over. for my headlight. well he spots my husband it the passanger seat, and says oh does he have ID. Of course duh!!! Mind you he is Puerto Rican. Anyway, so he takes our IDs and goes back to his car. He sits in his car for about 15 mins. In the mean time another police officer pulls up next us and gets out and goes to the other officers car. then leaves. well after he leaves. 2 officers come out and walk up to my husbands side of th car. Ill be honest. my husband was on parol for attempted sale of a controlled substance. Hes off parol. Had a job for 3 years and just recently lost it. So they harrass him about that and then ask him to get out of the car. they say hes not in trouble but they just want to talk to him. so he gets out. they put him up against my car and search him. well my husband had about 800 dollars on him bc we were on our way to the store to get groceries and things that we needed. so the cops think that he is carrying way way way to much money on him and so they want to search my car. so the cop asked my to exit my car and then they search my pockets. then they want to search my car. of course they did not find anything. i do homecare for people that have tramatic brain injuries. i try and keep them out of facilities and keep them in their homes. So this routine traffic stop took about 45 min over a headlight. i had proof that i was getting it fixed. so what was the purpose of searching me and my husbands person. was it because he was puerto rican and was, key word was on parol?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ryan Lucas St John 1 hr brystjohn 10
Leonard fugate (Sep '15) 1 hr FifthSt 8
The little snots and the Beavercreek bus boycotts! 7 hr Informant 3
D.P.&L. Sucks! (Jun '16) 7 hr Informant 9
Wants to know (Jul '15) 10 hr Wants to know 3
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 12 hr mexico 20,845
Open-border retard Republicans & dumbass Democrats Sat Latina Lover 1

Springboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages