Who do you support for Governor in Oh...

“Hillary 4 prison 2016”

Since: May 13

Columbus, OH

#24553 Jan 26, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, dictionary.com must be part of the vast liberal conspiracy.
And so is http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dem...
"de·moc·ra·cy
noun \di-&#712;mä-kr&#601;- s&#275;\
: a form of government in which people choose leaders by voting"
...as opposed to a monarchy or oligarchy, were decisions are made by one or an elite.
Once again, what you are thinking of is "pure democracy": http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pur...
Two words...Electoral College

Using your on line dictionary definition however.... that would make Russian, Iran, Iraq, China, Egypt, Afghanistan etc.etc. Democracies I guess.
Then of course there is the fact that the word Democracy is never mentioned in the constitution but...... Art. 4, Sec. 4 states "The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government."

The deliberations of the Constitutional Convention of 1787 were held in strict secrecy. Consequently, anxious citizens gathered outside Independence Hall when the proceedings ended in order to learn what had been produced behind closed doors. The answer was provided immediately.
A Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin,“Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?” With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded,“A republic, if you can keep it.”(Benjamin Franklin)

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.......

http://lmgtfy.com/...

http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/repvsde...
Canton

Canton, OH

#24554 Jan 26, 2014
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you guys so paranoid? You can easily go to the Chillicothe forum and see that we are not the same person. In fact, there has been periods of total disagreement.
You mean besides you...oops I meant Super Nutt being busted for being a total liar? Nothing paranoid about calling a clown out on their BS game. Like I did to you for instance.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24555 Jan 26, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Darn, I guessed wrong. I was going to say you and Van Wert.
As witty as the commonly used rightwing "no I'm not, you are" tactic has ever been. Sharp as a spoon. Weak too. Hey, at least you don't see Canton telling someone from Canton how dreamy they are. It's because a toddler could figure out it's the same person. Didn't stop Super Mutt, though.
seriously

Chillicothe, OH

#24556 Jan 26, 2014
Canton wrote:
Hey, at least you don't see Canton telling someone from Canton how dreamy they are. It's because a toddler could figure out it's the same person. Didn't stop Super Mutt, though.
And it never occurred to you that more than one person in Chillicothe uses topix? Why are you so paranoid?
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#24557 Jan 26, 2014
Free Pizza 4 U wrote:
<quoted text>
Two words...Electoral College
Two words: False Dilemma

"A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, black-and/or-white thinking, the either-or fallacy, the fallacy of false choice, the fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses, the fallacy of the false alternative or the fallacy of the excluded middle) is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

Has it occurred to you that the United States could be both a democracy AND a republic?

http://www.state.gov/j/drl/democ/
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#24558 Jan 26, 2014
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
You can deny it, but it doesn't change facts. We have always been a federal republic. A constitutional republic and not a democracy.
"...democracy may take various constitutional forms: it may be a constitutional republic, such as France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, or the United States, or a constitutional monarchy, such as Japan, Spain, the Netherlands, Canada, or the United Kingdom."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_democrac...
seriously

Chillicothe, OH

#24560 Jan 26, 2014
Purely semantics. Would a democratic republic wet your appetite?
Canton

Canton, OH

#24561 Jan 26, 2014
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
And it never occurred to you that more than one person in Chillicothe uses topix? Why are you so paranoid?
It's because our President, who doesn't have a birth certificate took all my guns away.

Hey, where did all that "outrage" go over Obamacare?
seriously

Chillicothe, OH

#24562 Jan 26, 2014
Canton wrote:
It's because our President, who doesn't have a birth certificate took all my guns away.
Hey, where did all that "outrage" go over Obamacare?
Don't blame me, you voted or him.

“Hillary 4 prison 2016”

Columbus, OH

#24563 Jan 26, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Two words: False Dilemma
"A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, black-and/or-white thinking, the either-or fallacy, the fallacy of false choice, the fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses, the fallacy of the false alternative or the fallacy of the excluded middle) is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma
Has it occurred to you that the United States could be both a democracy AND a republic?
http://www.state.gov/j/drl/democ/
The original poster I responded to claimed that The USA was a Democracy.
You injected the term PURE Democracy into the discussion.

re The EC....In a Democracy, Majority rules.
In 1824, John Quincy Adams, In 1876, Rutherford B. Hayes, In 1888, Benjamin Harrison,
and In 2000, George W. Bush lost the popular vote but became President......

But since you like Merriam Webster....
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rep...

re·pub·lic
a (1): a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2): a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government
b (1): a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2): a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government.......

Hence the term representative republic......
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#24565 Jan 26, 2014
Time for high tea with my lady friends. And, we will be discussing how OBAMA SUCKS.
Ignorance Is Bliss

San Francisco, CA

#24566 Jan 26, 2014
Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean besides you...oops I meant Super Nutt being busted for being a total liar? Nothing paranoid about calling a clown out on their BS game. Like I did to you for instance.
Would it help you to stay focused if I didn't post from Chillicothe at all? Or is this diversion tactic exactly the "out" you need to avoid the facts?
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#24567 Jan 26, 2014
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
You can deny it, but it doesn't change facts. We have always been a federal republic. A constitutional republic and not a democracy.
How sad that all of these Presidents seem to be confused...

“Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people”
Abraham Lincoln

"The world must be made safe for democracy."
Woodrow T. Wilson

"Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country."
Franklin D. Roosevelt

“The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.”
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man."
Ronald Reagan
Old Guy

Mason, OH

#24568 Jan 26, 2014
Free Pizza 4 U wrote:
<quoted text>
The original poster I responded to claimed that The USA was a Democracy....
Hence the term representative republic.
You never answered my question:
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Canton

Canton, OH

#24569 Jan 26, 2014
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't blame me, you voted or him.
Scary, except for the part where he never took your guns and produced his birth certificate. You know, paranoid stuff.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24570 Jan 26, 2014
Ignorance Is Bliss wrote:
<quoted text>
Would it help you to stay focused if I didn't post from Chillicothe at all? Or is this diversion tactic exactly the "out" you need to avoid the facts?
Sure, you were talking to the shirtless poster of Putin in your room the whole time.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24571 Jan 26, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
People are too damned cold to think about Comie Care. We're supposed to break a record low on Tuesday and others across the country are worried about getting enough fuel to stay warm.
Good, and by the time it warms up, seeing you are so shocked by cold weather in late January in Ohio, we will see the "worse than slavery" effects of Obamacare and you'll be yelling I told you so, from the cab of your haunted 18 wheeler..
Canton

Canton, OH

#24572 Jan 26, 2014
Helen Roper wrote:
Time for high tea with my lady friends. And, we will be discussing how OBAMA SUCKS.
Those old diseased hags? Judging by the cold sores around all your yapping mouths, I'd say it's you who needs to worry a little more about sucking.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24573 Jan 26, 2014
Don't trip over those 30,000 record high temps in one year when you claim winter proves there is no climate change. You know...those things called FACTS. I think Ford might have been the last time you guys used them. Doesn't matter now, considering even the GOP acknowledges you guys as a bunch of fringe group kooks. Wonder why? Must be Al Gore.

“Hillary 4 prison 2016”

Columbus, OH

#24574 Jan 26, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
You never answered my question:
<quoted text>
re: your question

"Has it occurred to you that the United States could be both a democracy AND a republic?"

Since you are leaving out your qualifier "pure" no.

A Republic and a Democracy are two different forms of government..

Again in a Democracy......
The civil rights act of 1964 would not exist.
Women would not have the right to vote.
etc. etc.

In a Democracy, the majority makes the rules and the minority is at the mercy of the majority.

http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/repvsde...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 20 min longtime Boro res... 31,923
Why Donald Trump is hated in Scotland... 9 hr Eric Cartman Auth... 2
Boofuckinhoo! What will Trump and me and you do... 9 hr Eric Cartman Auth... 4
George Will and so-called "conservatives"... Jun 25 The Old Cold Warrior 1
"Is Trump a national security threat?" Jun 25 The Duke of Hazard 20
don't waste your time or gas applying at Fuyao. (Jan '15) Jun 24 Sinclairbroadcast... 82
D.P.&L. Sucks! Jun 24 The Duke of Hazard 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages