Should Springboro BOE ask for another...

Should Springboro BOE ask for another tax levy?

Created by Springboro Speak Up on Aug 21, 2008

414 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes, we need money now

Yes, but wait at least 1 year

Yes, but wait at least 2-5 yrs

No, the voters have spoken

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Resident of 23 Years

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Aug 22, 2008
Hopefully more people will vote. Since there have been no comments, it looks like this forum is inactive, despite the fact there is voting going on. So this comment will serve to "bump" it back up the list of forums.
Resident of 23 Years

Cincinnati, OH

#2 Aug 29, 2008
Well, some people are finding this and the poll results are interesting. BOE are you getting the message? The numbers may be small, but the proportion is speaking loudly.
No Way Not again

Euclid, OH

#3 Aug 29, 2008
Should they ask for another levy? No. Should they budget and cutback? Yes. The Springboro Admin just doesn't get it.
McBoro

Euclid, OH

#4 Aug 29, 2008
If they spent 1/2 as much time and effort working to stick to a budget (and cutbacks as necessary) as they do planning levies, we would not be in this situation. It is easier to ask for more money than it is to actually do their job and stick to a budget.
Wow

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Sep 2, 2008
Maybe the $1000 dinners at Heatherwood Golf club should go!
Tom

Miamisburg, OH

#6 Sep 2, 2008
No, we need those. It helps the children, really. Remember it is all for the children. I am sure Baker and the BOE would never spend a dime on anything other than essentials for the kids - I just refuse to believe it. ;-)
Concerned Clearcreek Mom

Englewood, OH

#7 Sep 2, 2008
Tom wrote:
No, we need those. It helps the children, really. Remember it is all for the children. I am sure Baker and the BOE would never spend a dime on anything other than essentials for the kids - I just refuse to believe it. ;-)
Me. I REFUSE to believe that Dr. Baker and the members of the Springboro School Board are not good financial stewards of OUR money.

...I mean, I know they need their tummies filled at McDonalds, Rosatti's Pizza...before they begin to be able to teach our kids well.
Concerned Clearcreek Mom

Englewood, OH

#8 Sep 2, 2008
I meant "Me Too!" :-}

Only Dr. Baker and the BOE would be talking about "Me."
Resident of 23 Years

Cincinnati, OH

#9 Sep 9, 2008
I was just reading the articles via the Springboro Sun links on the other Springboro schools tax levy board. It seems the treasurer had a meeting to tell the press why the levy is so necessary. But no mention was made of these kinds of purchases - of course.

The articles made the point that we defeated the levy attempt by around 60% both times. Look at the results of the voting on this board. Surely that has to tell the BOE something!
Concerned Clearcreek Mom

Englewood, OH

#10 Sep 10, 2008
It seems the voting on this poll follows the general sentiment of the public.

If you haven't voted yet, please do so! Let your voices and opinions be heard!
Please Vote

Englewood, OH

#11 Sep 25, 2008
Let your opinions be heard.
20 yr resident

Cincinnati, OH

#12 Sep 30, 2008
Over the last 22 years I have watched the Boro system go downhill. Each vote, it's the same spin. 1)We need money! 2)They don't get it. 3)They ask for less like they should have in the first place [while trying to make it seem like they are giving taxpayers a break by decreasing the amt] 4)They don't get it again so they threaten with low cost, but high community sensitivity (like not bussing kids with in a mile of the schools when the law says not bussing within 2 miles is fine). Threats also have included participation fees for sports & clubs. So what!Schools are there to educate. Why have every tax payer pay for football players (ouch, I know many enjoy..) for example, when that is an option or privlege, NOT a requirement.
I say VOTE NO until Baker and the overpaid principals cut huge pay cuts. Geez...used to be a principal handled things. Now there are assitant principals. Which brings me back to the money and levies and bonds. They build saying they won't ask for more money to build, but then SURPRISE! a year or so later they are asking for money to staff the building. More principals, more janitors, more electricty, etc. Make the system change. Please VOTE NO on all school pocketbook padding.
Concerned Clearcreek Mom

Englewood, OH

#13 Sep 30, 2008
20 yr resident wrote:
Over the last 22 years I have watched the Boro system go downhill. Each vote, it's the same spin. 1)We need money! 2)They don't get it. 3)They ask for less like they should have in the first place [while trying to make it seem like they are giving taxpayers a break by decreasing the amt] 4)They don't get it again so they threaten with low cost, but high community sensitivity (like not bussing kids with in a mile of the schools when the law says not bussing within 2 miles is fine). Threats also have included participation fees for sports & clubs. So what!Schools are there to educate. Why have every tax payer pay for football players (ouch, I know many enjoy..) for example, when that is an option or privlege, NOT a requirement.
I say VOTE NO until Baker and the overpaid principals cut huge pay cuts. Geez...used to be a principal handled things. Now there are assitant principals. Which brings me back to the money and levies and bonds. They build saying they won't ask for more money to build, but then SURPRISE! a year or so later they are asking for money to staff the building. More principals, more janitors, more electricty, etc. Make the system change. Please VOTE NO on all school pocketbook padding.
Amen! And folks also don't just blindly keep voting for the renewal levies either!!!! The huge one was enacted to build schools a few years ago. They were built. I don't understand why folks would vote in that renewal in March. It was like $10.9 mils - HUGE!!!!! Don't keep falling for voting yes for the renewals when they come up as that is just the same as asking for additional money. Wouldn't it be actually nice to get a decrease in our taxes for once?????
Resident of 19 Years

Cincinnati, OH

#14 Sep 30, 2008
20 yr resident wrote:
They build saying they won't ask for more money to build, but then SURPRISE! a year or so later they are asking for money to staff the building.
That's because the first levy was a BUILDING levy, the second one was an OPERATING levy. It's illegal to use building funds to operate and vice versa.
Concerned Clearcreek Mom wrote:
The huge one was enacted to build schools a few years ago. They were built. I don't understand why folks would vote in that renewal in March. It was like $10.9 mils - HUGE!!!!! Don't keep falling for voting yes for the renewals when they come up as that is just the same as asking for additional money.
Same answer as above. The renewal levy was for operating expenses, it was not a renewal on a building levy. Also, 10.9 mils is not 10.9 million dollars. That renewal that pasted in March was 10.05 mils and generated $9.2 million. And you guys seriously think taking away 20% of the operating budget would have been good for you? You think your property values are in the tank now? More people would be upside-down on their $300,000 3 bedroom house (which baffles my mind, but that's a different discussion...who am I to tell a family of 4 that they don't need 3,500 square feet).
Resident of 23 Years

Cincinnati, OH

#15 Sep 30, 2008
Resident of 19 Years wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because the first levy was a BUILDING levy, the second one was an OPERATING levy. It's illegal to use building funds to operate and vice versa.
<quoted text>
Same answer as above. The renewal levy was for operating expenses, it was not a renewal on a building levy. Also, 10.9 mils is not 10.9 million dollars. That renewal that pasted in March was 10.05 mils and generated $9.2 million. And you guys seriously think taking away 20% of the operating budget would have been good for you? You think your property values are in the tank now? More people would be upside-down on their $300,000 3 bedroom house (which baffles my mind, but that's a different discussion...who am I to tell a family of 4 that they don't need 3,500 square feet).
You are correct about the bond issue for the buildings and they did tell us at the time that an operating levy would be forthcoming. I supported the renewal but not the additional. The time has come for the schools to re-evaluate their priorities and adjust their budget (i.e. make cuts) accordingly.

The 25 students per class sounds nice, but really that is just an average of the total students in the building divided by all the teachers (including specials, like art, music, etc. who don't have classes all the time). This is not really a reflection of how many students are in a classroom during instruction.

We have to read the school district's information with the same kind of skeptical eye we read real estate ads (you know, where "river view" may be real estate speak for "in the flood plain"). Also, they tried to sneak one by us with that new levy labeled on the ballot as "continuing" which was not noted in any of the campaign ads, letters, etc. that I saw before the election.

This is definitely a case of "buyer beware."
Concerned Clearcreek Mom

Englewood, OH

#16 Oct 6, 2008
Resident of 19 Years wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I am aware that 10.9 mils is not 10.9 million dollars. When you vote these things in, they are divided by the number of houses and property value of each. So, when less houses are sold and less people coming in, you do the math. My point was that oftentimes people will vote for renewals simply because they have been paying the taxes currently so there is no additional tax increases, so they think why not. In fact, that was the way the BOE tried to sell the renewal..."no new taxes". We need to be cognizant whether renewal monies are really needed or whether cuts can be made in the operating budget. I, for one, would like to see some real cuts made.
transplant to springboro

Oxford, OH

#17 Oct 9, 2008
My husband graduated from springboro high school, back when the middleschool was the high school. We got married ten years ago and i moved up here from a suburb of cincinnati. I voted yes on the levy to build a new school, and my husband refused to vote yes. His comment was, there will be a tax levy almost every year for the next twenty years becouse this school system is terrible at manageing money. At the time I didnt believe him, but 3 kids and ten and a half years later these spoiled springboro kids are walking into a high school that looks like a college, which is totally uneccasary. Yes our children need to be in school biuldings that are conforatble, but not the TRUMP TOWER of high schools.The BOE needs to make some changes, starting with Dr. Baker!!!!!!!!!
He is the rudest individual I have ever met. He needs to keep in mind that when he is walking through the community, we are paying his astronamical salary,it dosent just appear out of nowhere. I am sick and tired of the BOE, and I am sick and tired of the rich snobs in this district that think they have to have the best of everything. I totally agree with the lady that was talking about the $300,000 houses. Give me a break. You people in this town need a touch of reality!! Wake up, the real world is out their, you just need to find it!!!!!!!!!!
transplant to springboro

Oxford, OH

#18 Oct 9, 2008
Also on another note, my parents just moved to town, and have never experience just stuck up, rude self centered, egotistical driven people as their is here. My comment was " thats what Ive been telling you for years, they just had to see it to believe it!!! Maybe John Agenbroad needs to take back controll of the community and teach people what its like to be NICE! I think its a lesson ALL of you could use!!!!!!!
A Change is Coming

Euclid, OH

#19 Oct 12, 2008
For years Springboro Schools have stated "support the levys or it will affect your property values". Well look at the sorry state of the economy now! Retirement investments and college funds are tanking, we are experiencing an economic decline worse than in the depression with many neighbors losing jobs, foreclosures astronomical, gas prices have jumped incredibly over that last year, food prices are up.....yet still Baker and the BOE expect the taxpayers to take on more taxes! Wake up! A truly responsible and compassionate leader would pull the levy from the November ballot and not ignore the real facts.
An Unknown Voter

Englewood, OH

#20 Oct 15, 2008
They are just copying the Centerville school levy signs which say "Protect our Property Values" or something like that. I guess this might appeal to the 30 something's out there who move every 2 years and want to get the highest possible price for their home, but for the rest of us why would we care. I really doubt people looking at buying a home look at whether levies fail. As long as the schools rating is good, that is what they care about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr Hate 21,721
Stacy Burns 18 hr John 4
Wheres all the ladies? May 23 Junior 3
hamburger wagon (Dec '08) May 22 Eric Viking of Old 58
Chris Mulcahy (Apr '16) May 22 Ghost of Leon Har... 30
Where is fuego May 21 3rdEye 1
SVG Motors (Steve's a Vain Guy) (Jan '16) May 21 Billie Marshall 33

Springboro Jobs

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages