Should the Springboro Schools close their doors?

Created by mo money on Jun 22, 2013

10 votes

Click on an option to vote

YES - no more taxes

YES - homeschool your own children

YES - I don't want to pay the teachers

YES - there are neighboring school districts

YES - I'm tired of all the drama, close the doors

Lurker

Englewood, OH

#1 Jun 22, 2013
No isn't an option?
outsider

Dayton, OH

#2 Jun 22, 2013
Lurker wrote:
No isn't an option?
No is always an option, it just isn't always the best option.(Though it beats the sheeple that just copy and paste answers on here from other threads.)
cowboy

Dayton, OH

#4 Jun 22, 2013
dumb poll...have no doubt this was put up by the pro levy nazis.
outsider

Dayton, OH

#5 Jun 22, 2013
The way I see the springboro topix board going, I'd be unwilling to bet on which side put it up. I've seen some stupid stuff up on both sides...
For Sure

Piqua, OH

#6 Jun 23, 2013
outsider wrote:
The way I see the springboro topix board going, I'd be unwilling to bet on which side put it up. I've seen some stupid stuff up on both sides...
For s-u-r-e Springboro taxpayers get no respect from the Springboro Education Association and their parent/student activists fighting against their nieghbors, who so generously
support with good wages and benefits our Springboro school employees.
"Some stupid stuff up on both sides" will always be with us,
it's just basic human nature to "war" against good and bad politics..... but standing firm on No New Taxes is the smart way to go ... no matter on which political side you stand.
outsider

Dayton, OH

#7 Jun 23, 2013
For Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
For s-u-r-e Springboro taxpayers get no respect from the Springboro Education Association and their parent/student activists fighting against their nieghbors, who so generously
support with good wages and benefits our Springboro school employees.
"Some stupid stuff up on both sides" will always be with us,
it's just basic human nature to "war" against good and bad politics..... but standing firm on No New Taxes is the smart way to go ... no matter on which political side you stand.
Personally, I am not against the step raises. That is how the military pays. What I would really prefer to see is the State pay for teacher salaries on a state level pay scale. A district could pay more, but from their own pocket. There should be no difference in pay between Hicksville, Springboro, Columbus, Dublin, or any of the small farm districts.

That may not ever happen though... Unions are a necessary evil. They should have the leadership change every few year, same as school boards. My family includes both teachers and school board members from many different areas. I see both sides, but right now what I see in Springboro is the school board pushing for too much. If starting pay with any and all experience levels is less than many parochial schools, then it won't attract top talent. Yes, thousands will apply for any position posted, we have a few teacher mills churning out teachers and telling everyone that there is a shortage. We have districts pink slipping hundreds of experienced teachers each year. Those prospects will all be applying for any and every opening they see. They won't know that they may be looking at a 20k/year paycut by going to Springboro until after a few interviews.
the rest of the story

Girard, OH

#8 Jun 25, 2013
outsider wrote:
<quoted text>
If starting pay with any and all experience levels is less than many parochial schools, then it won't attract top talent. Yes, thousands will apply for any position posted, we have a few teacher mills churning out teachers and telling everyone that there is a shortage. We have districts pink slipping hundreds of experienced teachers each year. Those prospects will all be applying for any and every opening they see. They won't know that they may be looking at a 20k/year paycut by going to Springboro until after a few interviews.
Hey! Paul Harvey! Why aren't you revealing the rest of the story? What is one of the key reasons WHY "other districts" are pink slipping hundreds of experienced teachers every year?

Here's the answer. Financial leaders within school boards of "other districts" have already found out or are just now finding out what Kelly Kohls, David Petroni, Jim Rigano, Wendy Kull, and (yes) Don Miller now understand - Particularly in THIS economic climate, it is unsustainable to perpetually maintain black ink within virtually ANY public school district... if 75%-90% of a district's budget is devoted to payroll & benefits for teachers, administrators and other staff.

Parochial schools are by no means paradises for teachers. A lot of teachers come to discover they develop conflicts of interest while employed at parochial schools. It depends on their personalities. Discipline in parochial schools used to be a number one priority. Apparently, not anymore. A neighbor of ours sends his kids to a well known parocial school that's located on Washington Church Rd. The stories we've heard about what goes on at that school are truly shocking. The worst part about it is this neighbor has become numb to that pain. He has also become numb to sending in the parochial tuition checks while paying for Springboro Schools in his property taxes.
The Next Day

Amelia, OH

#9 Jun 26, 2013
the rest of the story wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! Paul Harvey! Why aren't you revealing the rest of the story? What is one of the key reasons WHY "other districts" are pink slipping hundreds of experienced teachers every year?
Here's the answer. Financial leaders within school boards of "other districts" have already found out or are just now finding out what Kelly Kohls, David Petroni, Jim Rigano, Wendy Kull, and (yes) Don Miller now understand - Particularly in THIS economic climate, it is unsustainable to perpetually maintain black ink within virtually ANY public school district... if 75%-90% of a district's budget is devoted to payroll & benefits for teachers, administrators and other staff.
Parochial schools are by no means paradises for teachers. A lot of teachers come to discover they develop conflicts of interest while employed at parochial schools. It depends on their personalities. Discipline in parochial schools used to be a number one priority. Apparently, not anymore. A neighbor of ours sends his kids to a well known parocial school that's located on Washington Church Rd. The stories we've heard about what goes on at that school are truly shocking. The worst part about it is this neighbor has become numb to that pain. He has also become numb to sending in the parochial tuition checks while paying for Springboro Schools in his property taxes.
Your argument that it is wrong for the budget to be 75-90% for payroll is irrelevant. That in itself is not an issue. Schools are akin to a service business such as a consulting or accounting firm. The vast majority of costs are the providers of the service. It is in effect the "Cost of Good Sold" for the product or service being delivered. By definition, the vast majority of a school's costs are going to be payroll. If they are not, they you are paying way too much for supplies, utilities, insurance, etc.

in an earlier post it was said that there is nothing wrong with step raises. The reasoning being is that this is how the military does it. There are two problems with this rationale. First, research shows that a teacher's years of experience are not correlated with improved teaching ability. Therefore, paying a teacher more just because they worked another year (excluding cost of living adjustments) doesn't make sense. Second, saying that step raises are ok because that is what the military does, doesn't hold water either for me. The military is full of wasted costs and this is one of them. It is very hard to get fired from being a teacher or a soldier. To reward someone for staying out of trouble is not a good thing.
Morning After

Piqua, OH

#10 Jun 28, 2013
@The Next Day

neither does it make sense to teach studies on the U.S. Constitution in Springoboro just the way it's done in the military.
but for sure, that's what board member Don Miller dictates. You must conform!
the bankrupt kohls

Girard, OH

#11 Jul 28, 2013
Morning After wrote:
@The Next Day
neither does it make sense to teach studies on the U.S. Constitution in Springoboro just the way it's done in the military.
but for sure, that's what board member Don Miller dictates. You must conform!
I didn't know the us military thinks blacks are lucky and push the constitution from a neo-Nazi white supremacist view. wow. I learn something new from you radicals everyday! is sonny Thomas gonna teach our kids? and will kohls and rigano sub for him on days when hes out tweeting racist comments from immigration rallies? oh lease. our kids need to see how much this board loves to put them first. minority children take no offense. remember, youre lucky.
No Doubt

Englewood, OH

#12 Jul 28, 2013
the bankrupt kohls wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know the us military thinks blacks are lucky and push the constitution from a neo-Nazi white supremacist view. wow. I learn something new from you radicals everyday! is sonny Thomas gonna teach our kids? and will kohls and rigano sub for him on days when hes out tweeting racist comments from immigration rallies? oh lease. our kids need to see how much this board loves to put them first. minority children take no offense. remember, youre lucky.
Right on my man!! Couldn't have said it better myself...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Concealed carry in Boro's schools - not a matte... (Jul '13) 1 hr anonymous panther 77
741 & 73 intersection make over 1 hr traffic cop 1
Emotional Blackmail in Springboro (May '13) 1 hr private schooled 35
Mart Crowe (May '12) 12 hr Cincyalso 64
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 13 hr Telling the Truth 31,303
New High School Vice Principal - Another Reason... (Sep '10) Oct 15 student at EHS 16
Cops Still Pedos? Oct 8 Anonymous 3
Springboro Dating
Find my Match

Springboro Jobs

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]