Police Chief: was justice served in S...

Police Chief: was justice served in Springboro traffic stop?

There are 166 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Police Chief: was justice served in Springboro traffic stop?. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Toi Blair won't likely ever forget her 32nd birthday. Neither will Todd Pultz, the 26-year-old Springboro officer who lost his job after he arrested Blair on misdemeanor charges and then left her in the parking ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

MZA

Mansfield, OH

#61 May 6, 2009
Citizens Arrest wrote:
But the stories you're presenting here are "priceless".
Let me ask you this: What (in your opinion) is too much?$100k,$150k ....?
Where is the line?
As for good cops vs. bad cops. Springboro cops have a serious attitude and maturity problem.
Lives on the line??? Give me a break, Springboro Street workers have more of a chance of being killed. There isnt much going on in Springboro other then speeding.
Spare me the very few "Hero" stories.
These guys are way over paid for writing tickets.
<quoted text>
You are truly clueless and more goes on in Springboro then you will know. Your ignorance leaves me speechless. Every police officer in every town or city is putting their life on the line everytime they go to work and there are many heros on the Springboro police force.
Wow

Cincinnati, OH

#62 May 6, 2009
So I'm clueless?

Check your facts hot shot.

Its all public record!! There isnt much going on in Springboro other then traffic.

Apples and Oranges - you really like to mix them up dont you?

You're not focused.

"Hero's" and "lives on the line" doesnt give Spingboro Police the right to be corrupt, abusive, immature etc etc...

Do you see the difference here?

Youre clearly not undertanding the big picture.
MZA wrote:
<quoted text>
You are truly clueless and more goes on in Springboro then you will know. Your ignorance leaves me speechless. Every police officer in every town or city is putting their life on the line everytime they go to work and there are many heros on the Springboro police force.
citizen with concerns

Springboro, OH

#63 May 8, 2009
Citizens Arrest wrote:
<quoted text>
Because these "department issues" are pouring into "the streets".
This department in pushing the limits of everthing, and I have to believe laws ARE being broken.
Maybe Montgomery County Sheriff could start investigation and see what they find.
These cops need a MUCH SHORTER leash!! and MUCH LESS pay. I cant believe how much these traffic oops make...what is with all the overtime?
No cop in Springboro should make over $55k.
Springboro is a horrible department. I hope someone can clean it up. Several officers need to move on.
How much should Chief Kruithoff, that was run out of Battle Creek Michigan for his illegal and unethical actions, then conned the city in to hiring him be paid? Who do you think puts pressure on officers to write tickets and where do you think the fine money goes? May be to pay the administrations BIG salaries and benefits? May be to pay for the Heatherwood Country Club?
Facts 2008
Kruithoff $82,609.00 plus full retirement fund and benefits
Wilson Sergeant $81,406.00 same benefits Isn't he the DARE officer? There's a high stress job
Thompson city manager $95,000.00 same benefits, how's she managing all the Coffman forclosured poperty? Taxes a little behind there?
Pozzuto Asst. City Manager $82,966.00 Hello?!
MY favorite, Eaton Golf Course SUPERINTENDENT $75,000.00, those mowers and wild golf balls are a serious life threating hazard.
Read the article carefully,Pultz dropped a drunk that wasted his time and taxpayers money at the jail at her demand. She could have signed the summons and left with her sister.
How about that Miner case Mayor, City Council?
Expert Opinion

United States

#64 May 10, 2009
Springboro Neighbor......Since your a good researcher, I am sure that you read the entire fact finding article that you are referring to because I just did after you brought up a vaild point. The other facts(as I read them) are the offciers won on health insurance by pushing the increase of the health care back a few years where the city wanted an immediate increase. I also saw that the starting salary for new officers was increased due to it being so low and not on par with the rest of comparable departments. I also read that the officers got the two seperate pay scales merged to one within seven years where the city wanted the younger officers to be on a twelve year plan to top out, but the senior officers only took five years to top out. I agree that the officers did not get the exact money they all hoped for, but they prevailed on almost everything else and their raises for definately above the average, which is quoted in the reading as being around 2.5%. If you really did your research, you would have went further into the state employment relations site and looked up contracts for other departments that are comparable to Springboro. To name a few...Loveland, Sharonville, Tipp City, Lebanon, Franklin......! Look at those contracts and you will see the diffrence in benefits and pay. Sounds like you enjoy researching, so happy reading and let me know when you are done. Just for the record........I also looked at the vote from the union on two contract proposals from the city during that mess and it looks like there was only one or two people vote in favor of the contract for the first proposal and nobody voted in favor of the contract for the second proposal. Sounds like all of the officers had the same opinion! At least I can respect you Springboro Neighbor! Although your statements are not completly factual, at least you take the time to quote items that can be researched by other. Just make sure you read all of the information and not just want you want or what you hear from one of your friends at the city!
Expert Opinion

United States

#65 May 10, 2009
Wow? or Citizens arrest? Whoever you are today, needs to really ask some questions before spouting off. I agree that I see only traffic stuff when I open the Springboro newspaper, but I also understand that Springboro Mayors courts only handles traffic and some misdemeanor cases, but all other cases are taken to the Warren County Courts. You can look up grand jury dockets and see how many cases are presented to the grand jury and you can also google the city and look at the online stats for the department. Public records do not indicate how many late night pursuits, foot chases or other agency assists that occur. Nor do they tell how many times the officers check a dark building or residence because an alrm goes off or someone comes home and finds their door wide open. Since you did your research......how many arrests did the department have last year if you do not mind informing us. You are so way in left field it is ridiculous!
Expert Opinion

United States

#66 May 10, 2009
Citizens with concerns.......Very valid points and agree completly! That does bring up another point that I was trying to make though where Springboro neighbor tried to chime in. I hope that everyone sees the diffrence between the Dare Sgt.'s pay and the regular patrol officer pay. Not to mention that city made an agreement with the Sgt.'s a few years ago to pay their portion of their retirement to avoid the Sgt.'s joining the union! The regular patrol does still pay into their retirement, which is a huge financial diffrence! Again.......good points!
mad

West Liberty, KY

#67 May 10, 2009
Coverup!Wright or wrong!

Since: Dec 08

United States

#68 May 10, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
Springboro Neighbor......Since your a good researcher, I am sure that you read the entire fact finding article that you are referring to because I just did after you brought up a vaild point. The other facts(as I read them) are the offciers won on health insurance by pushing the increase of the health care back a few years where the city wanted an immediate increase. I also saw that the starting salary for new officers was increased due to it being so low and not on par with the rest of comparable departments. I also read that the officers got the two seperate pay scales merged to one within seven years where the city wanted the younger officers to be on a twelve year plan to top out, but the senior officers only took five years to top out. I agree that the officers did not get the exact money they all hoped for, but they prevailed on almost everything else and their raises for definately above the average, which is quoted in the reading as being around 2.5%. If you really did your research, you would have went further into the state employment relations site and looked up contracts for other departments that are comparable to Springboro. To name a few...Loveland, Sharonville, Tipp City, Lebanon, Franklin......! Look at those contracts and you will see the diffrence in benefits and pay. Sounds like you enjoy researching, so happy reading and let me know when you are done. Just for the record........I also looked at the vote from the union on two contract proposals from the city during that mess and it looks like there was only one or two people vote in favor of the contract for the first proposal and nobody voted in favor of the contract for the second proposal. Sounds like all of the officers had the same opinion! At least I can respect you Springboro Neighbor! Although your statements are not completly factual, at least you take the time to quote items that can be researched by other. Just make sure you read all of the information and not just want you want or what you hear from one of your friends at the city!
You looked at the vote??????? Where would you find that? I thought those votes are by secret ballot?????????

Hmmmmmmm, you must have been present for those votes you are referring to......

Since: Dec 08

United States

#69 May 10, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
Springboro Neighbor......Since your a good researcher, I am sure that you read the entire fact finding article that you are referring to because I just did after you brought up a vaild point. The other facts(as I read them) are the offciers won on health insurance by pushing the increase of the health care back a few years where the city wanted an immediate increase. I also saw that the starting salary for new officers was increased due to it being so low and not on par with the rest of comparable departments. I also read that the officers got the two seperate pay scales merged to one within seven years where the city wanted the younger officers to be on a twelve year plan to top out, but the senior officers only took five years to top out. I agree that the officers did not get the exact money they all hoped for, but they prevailed on almost everything else and their raises for definately above the average, which is quoted in the reading as being around 2.5%. If you really did your research, you would have went further into the state employment relations site and looked up contracts for other departments that are comparable to Springboro. To name a few...Loveland, Sharonville, Tipp City, Lebanon, Franklin......! Look at those contracts and you will see the diffrence in benefits and pay. Sounds like you enjoy researching, so happy reading and let me know when you are done. Just for the record........I also looked at the vote from the union on two contract proposals from the city during that mess and it looks like there was only one or two people vote in favor of the contract for the first proposal and nobody voted in favor of the contract for the second proposal. Sounds like all of the officers had the same opinion! At least I can respect you Springboro Neighbor! Although your statements are not completly factual, at least you take the time to quote items that can be researched by other. Just make sure you read all of the information and not just want you want or what you hear from one of your friends at the city!
I am actually a very good researcher - and I took a quick look at some of the comparables that you listed - Sharonville and Loveland? Are you serious? Sharonville has a population of 14,000, ok, I'll give you that maybe, but it has a daytime population of approximately 37,000 and is located at the intersection of two major interstates. And Loveland - their neighbor is Indian Hill. Need I say more about the area that is located? Those aren't comparables. Those are two communities thrown in there to drive the median income higher for the union.
Expert Opinion

United States

#70 May 11, 2009
As for the vote......I have already told you I am friends with several officers at the department and friends with Pultz and an aquaintance of Stewart! As you have received or know of information normal people wouldnt, I am sure we find our info the same way! Wouldn't you agree?You tell me what cities you think are comparable and I will do the research for us both. So what about Miamisburg, Centerville, Riverside, Oakwood, Tipp City, Lebanon, Troy.......Just to name a few. Maybe we should just get a copy of what comparables were used during the negotiations??? And what did your research tell you about the other items that were on the table during those negotiations?
Expert Opinion

United States

#71 May 11, 2009
And what is the daytime population in Springboro out of curiosity because I have no idea???? I am not even sure what the last census showed for the general population?
Expert Opinion

United States

#72 May 11, 2009
Just for the record....Springboro Neighbor....You are growing on me with your passion for the city! Don't get these blogs wrong and assume that people hate the city, they just dislike some of the people running it and working in it! Anytime you want to grab a beer and talk real about all of this, let me know! lol!
Expert Opinion

United States

#73 May 11, 2009
Springboro Neighbor......Out of curiosity, what is your opinion or position about the concern that was brought up by citizen with concerns? Do you feel that there is a fair diffrence in pay set between the regular patrol and the supervisors?

Since: Dec 08

Dayton, OH

#74 May 13, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
As for the vote......I have already told you I am friends with several officers at the department and friends with Pultz and an aquaintance of Stewart! As you have received or know of information normal people wouldnt, I am sure we find our info the same way! Wouldn't you agree?You tell me what cities you think are comparable and I will do the research for us both. So what about Miamisburg, Centerville, Riverside, Oakwood, Tipp City, Lebanon, Troy.......Just to name a few. Maybe we should just get a copy of what comparables were used during the negotiations??? And what did your research tell you about the other items that were on the table during those negotiations?
Actually, you can just look at the comparables that were in the fact finding report I referenced previously. Those communities seemed pretty good to me.

Listing Oakwood as a comparable to Springboro is pretty out there.......all of their officers are also paramedics or something, aren't they? Hardly a comparison.

Since: Dec 08

Dayton, OH

#75 May 13, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
And what is the daytime population in Springboro out of curiosity because I have no idea???? I am not even sure what the last census showed for the general population?
The general population of Springboro as of the 2000 Census was 12,380. That number is probably no where near where it is now with all the development that occurred (even though it seems to have really slowed down the past 3-4 years).

As for the daytime population - I couldn't find that information anywhere in my research, but I would have to say, since Springboro is a "bedroom" community,(or at least it is perceived that way) it couldn't be much more than 20,000. While Springboro does have a few large companies that I can tell, there are no GM's that are employing thousands of workers. There are quite a few businesses, but most of them seem to be smaller employers.

Since: Dec 08

Dayton, OH

#76 May 13, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
Just for the record....Springboro Neighbor....You are growing on me with your passion for the city! Don't get these blogs wrong and assume that people hate the city, they just dislike some of the people running it and working in it! Anytime you want to grab a beer and talk real about all of this, let me know! lol!
I appreciate you notice I have a passion for this City. I absolutely do. I love living here and raising my family here. Been here a long time. I am also critical of my city when I feel it is necessary, but I really don't like personal attacks about people - no matter who they are. Personal attacks accomplish absolutely nothing.

Since: Dec 08

Dayton, OH

#77 May 13, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
Springboro Neighbor......Out of curiosity, what is your opinion or position about the concern that was brought up by citizen with concerns? Do you feel that there is a fair diffrence in pay set between the regular patrol and the supervisors?
I assume you are basing your question on the salary listed for Sgt. Wilson, the DARE officer? Does that salary include overtime for the Sgt.? If he is the one I am thinking of, who is always at various school functions - I do see him A LOT at different times of the night. I will have to call and find out his base salary. Then I might be able to give you a better answer as to my opinion on that.

Simplistically, should supervisors make more than their subordinates? Of course they should. In my company, I make more money than my subordinates. I have also been working longer than them, put in my time, have an advanced degree where most of them don't, etc. A lot of times, people think they should make as much as their supervisors just because. It doesn't work that way. People that come into an organization expecting to make top salary in 2-3 years is unrealistic. The world doesn't usually work that way.
not a baker fan

Dayton, OH

#78 May 13, 2009
Springboro Neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
The general population of Springboro as of the 2000 Census was 12,380. That number is probably no where near where it is now with all the development that occurred (even though it seems to have really slowed down the past 3-4 years).
As for the daytime population - I couldn't find that information anywhere in my research, but I would have to say, since Springboro is a "bedroom" community,(or at least it is perceived that way) it couldn't be much more than 20,000. While Springboro does have a few large companies that I can tell, there are no GM's that are employing thousands of workers. There are quite a few businesses, but most of them seem to be smaller employers.
between 18-20k
Expert opinion

Cincinnati, OH

#79 May 14, 2009
Springboro Neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you can just look at the comparables that were in the fact finding report I referenced previously. Those communities seemed pretty good to me.
Listing Oakwood as a comparable to Springboro is pretty out there.......all of their officers are also paramedics or something, aren't they? Hardly a comparison.
So using the fact finding comparables like you want, I think the argument is sealed up in the officers favor. The median pay for comparables is $26.04 and Springboro was at $24.21. Lets take that one step further and know that Franklin offsets the chart a little bit by being at
$23.31, but remember that all of their officers have take home cruisers, which saves how much money on gas??? Also if you read the fact finding report, you would see that the Fact finder agrees that Springboro officers are below the comparable departments, but goes on to say that the city showed concerns about not being able to pay the salaries. So.....The fact finder did agree with the officers, but did not want to create a hardship for the city. Fair choice I think he made by doing that and merging the pay scales instead! Dont you? Overall the officers were on the right track as agreed with by the fact finder and I see that they did prevail in makig their point.
Expert opinion

Cincinnati, OH

#80 May 14, 2009
not a baker fan wrote:
<quoted text>
between 18-20k
Really? I think you went down the wrong road with my question. Of course subordinates deserve to be paid less and should put their time in like veryone else. Sgt. Wilson does work a lot of school events and does traffic details in the morning, but why is some of this overtime not put out to the road officers a little bit more instead of him having first choice at all of it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: LKQ Pick Your Part - Dayton 2 hr jblanton 1
don't waste your time or gas applying at Fuyao. (Jan '15) 18 hr Kent Grind 40
Today's Leon Harrison Quotation Wed Leon Harrison 29
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jul 28 Samuel-7g-Jackson 20,089
7-26-15 Updated sincere form letter Jul 28 The Old Cold Warrior 3
Trump was a draft dodger Jul 28 The Old Cold Warrior 8
Donate to Disadvantaged American Victims! Jul 25 Disadvantaged Victim 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages