Police Chief: was justice served in S...

Police Chief: was justice served in Springboro traffic stop?

There are 166 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Police Chief: was justice served in Springboro traffic stop?. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Toi Blair won't likely ever forget her 32nd birthday. Neither will Todd Pultz, the 26-year-old Springboro officer who lost his job after he arrested Blair on misdemeanor charges and then left her in the parking ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

a call for the truth

AOL

#41 Apr 21, 2009
There has been more than enough to warrant an independent investigation with a multitude of allegations.

Those in law enforcement that can help bring the truth-should step up.

You know how the system works and how to bring an independent investigation into Springboro.

There are many people saying the Officer that has been involved with many women in the Springboro Community in an unethical way is Officer Nate Anderkin.

Two other Springboro Police Officers who knew of this wrongdoing TOOK his police cruiser while it was running and he was on duty.

Officer Anderkin was with a woman and you can imagine being caught with his pants down when his buddies took his police cruiser.

To the Mayor, City Manager and City Council-when will it be enough to began an Internal Affairs Investigation by an independent law enforcement agency?

If none of this is true- step up and call for the investigation before it's too late.

The truth will always come out.
MZA

East Liberty, OH

#42 Apr 23, 2009
WHY IS THE MINER CASE NOT BEING INVESTIGATED? A CHILD MOLESTOR was released, a protection order cancelled and it appears the detective and her superiors committed perjury to cover up thier horrid $#@! up! Now it seems officers that do not play ball with this unethical hypocrite who was run out of BattleCreek Michigan for his unlawful unethical behavior are being fired. While an officer that does appear to do the chief's bidding made $79,458.00 in 2008. Some one, A very Concerned Citizen posted that the mayor and city council got letters about allegetions. Are they investigating?
Everyone needs to call the Cincinnati FBI office or email [email protected]
Expert Opinion

United States

#43 Apr 24, 2009
MZA you hit the nail on the head by saying that officers are fired if they do not play ball. The last two officers that were fired(Pultz & Stewart) each had filed several grievances with the union after being denied overtime pay and certain benefits that the contract afforded to them. Most of those grievances were due to Parker not understanding the contract and just making quick decisions on items that he had no idea about. From what I am told, he was wrong on most of the grievances and the two officers prevailed on several of them. I was told that Pultz had filed three grievances for being denied proper pay and two of them were settled in his favor without arbitration and the other one was still oustanding, but settled along with the settlement that allowed him to resign. I am told that Stewart still has outstanding grievances that have not been resolved. Prior to Stewart's termination and after the termination of Pultz, I was told that Stewart received the following discipline; After having used some sick time, he was forced to bring doctors notes in which is not a requirement until a certain point, he was stripped of his extra duty detail of being the police explorer commander, lost his ranking as an officer in charge and then was not allowed to work any overtime.......Then fired!
Expert Opinion

United States

#44 Apr 24, 2009
In regards to the Miner case......Bad situation and from what I was told, this was not the first missed court appearance for this detective. I was also told of a story that went like this.....A detective had asked Parker if they could leave for a few hours to take care of something. Parker says yes only to find out later that this detective went to a circus with their child while on duty and lied about where they were originally. No discipline from what I am told, just a good talking. You ask for another story........I was told that another detective was unable to be contacted while on duty. Parker had a hunch that he might be at a females house, so Parker went there to confirm his suspicions. Sure enough he was inside this females house. The kicker to the story is that the detective is married to someone else and this female was a Springboro dispatcher who was also married to somebody else. That detective is still working and actually a field training officer that teaches new officers how to be an officer! How about one more story I heard.......A certain detective at the time was having a house built in Carlisle and had city workers use the city vehicle to remove things from his property and haul items all of which was while all were on city time! That detective has since been promoted to LT.! I say again....Pultz was fired for dropping a prisoner off in the lobby of the jail, which is a safe enviroment, but these other people are still working??????? REALLY SPRINGBORO?
Expert Opinion

United States

#45 Apr 24, 2009
Has anyone researched the way that Parker got promoted? This is the way that I was told the story goes. Parker was a detective supervisor, but never a seargent. The supervisor spot in the detective section was created by the ex-chief that was good friends with Parker to ensure that Parker did not have to leave the detective section after his rotation was over. The supervisor position in the detective section has not been filled since the promotion of PArker....go figure! When Wheeler went over seas, Kruitoff decided to promote another LT. There was two individuals eligible because of how the general orders were written(Parker was not one of them). The general orders which are written and signed off on by the chief stated that in order to become LT you had to be a SGT for at least two years. Parker was never a SGT, but the chief disregarded the orders and allowed Parker to be eligible thus giving him the promotion. I was told that other SGT's and officers wanted to file grievances, but were afraid of retribution.
Expert Opinion

United States

#46 Apr 24, 2009
FBI investigation??? There is nothing that would call for an FBI investigation. You are talking about a department that has issues with lying, forcing the hand of their officer, cheating etc.....But why would the FBI come in when there are department out there engaged in illegal activities such as bribery, extortion, etc etc....
Expert Opinion

United States

#47 Apr 24, 2009
How about one more story for the road that I heard! I was told of an incident in which an idvidual was pulled over by a Springboro officer for weaving and minor traffic violations. The officer determined that this individual was severly intoxicated and arrested him. While searching the vehicle, the offcier located 1/2 pound of marijuana in the glovebox. This person arrested happened to be good friends with the mayor and had just left an event where he stated that he was drinking with the mayor! I was told that the mayor stood off in the distance watching all of these event unfold. One guess who the officer was.....you give up??? PULTZ WAS THE OFFICER!!!

Since: Dec 08

Dayton, OH

#48 Apr 24, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
How about one more story for the road that I heard! I was told of an incident in which an idvidual was pulled over by a Springboro officer for weaving and minor traffic violations. The officer determined that this individual was severly intoxicated and arrested him. While searching the vehicle, the offcier located 1/2 pound of marijuana in the glovebox. This person arrested happened to be good friends with the mayor and had just left an event where he stated that he was drinking with the mayor! I was told that the mayor stood off in the distance watching all of these event unfold. One guess who the officer was.....you give up??? PULTZ WAS THE OFFICER!!!
"Expert Opinion" - which one are you - Pultz or Stewart?

Dayton, OH

#49 Apr 24, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
A lot of this sounds like a disgruntled ex-employee to me! And bringing up union grievances....I am in a company that unfortunately has to deal with 3 different unions....and I can tell you - grievances are filed every single day for STUPID things. Unfortunately, a lot of them are simply settled before arbitration because it would cost WAY too much to fight them, rather than just settle them. And believe me - union members know this. And certain lazy employees members use this to their advantage.
MZA

Mansfield, OH

#50 Apr 24, 2009
Springboro Neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of this sounds like a disgruntled ex-employee to me! And bringing up union grievances....I am in a company that unfortunately has to deal with 3 different unions....and I can tell you - grievances are filed every single day for STUPID things. Unfortunately, a lot of them are simply settled before arbitration because it would cost WAY too much to fight them, rather than just settle them. And believe me - union members know this. And certain lazy employees members use this to their advantage.
The Miner Case was the detective to lazy to show up for court? I'm not pro-union, lots of police department don't have unions and function very well, but only like all companies if they have fair ethical management,it starts at the top. THE MINER Case a child under the age of 13 was molested, this child and family deserved better!
Expert opinion

Mason, OH

#51 Apr 26, 2009
SpringboroNeighbor......I am neither, but do know both of the officers involved along with several other officers from the department! You have been knocking everyone since you just joined this site, but have not posted one factual piece of material that has cleared anyone of these allegations or put the department in a better light. However, several people have posted factual pieces of material that shows the negative side of the department and I can tell you point blank that everything I have written can be proven, but what would that do???? Nothing we have talked about is a form of corruption that someone would look into! So Springboro Neighbor.... Are you the Chris Thompson, the Mayor or the Chief or just want of their little sidekicks???? Bring something to the table that puts a better light on the city and department and maybe you can shut some of us up!!!
Expert opinion

Mason, OH

#52 Apr 26, 2009
MZA......Who knows what the detective was thinking, but I can tell you that the detective was a supervisor at one time and had lots of issues that ultimately lead to stepping down and becoming part of the regular patrol again! You are correct in that non union work places can work if the administration is ethical and fair, but you are not correct that a lot of departments have no union. Centerville is the only large department around this area that does not have a union. Mosat small agencies that have part timers and auxillaries do not have unions, but that it is it! Springboro would never work without a union because the administration feels that they can do whatever they want and get away with it.
MZA

Mansfield, OH

#53 Apr 28, 2009
Expert opinion wrote:
MZA......Who knows what the detective was thinking, but I can tell you that the detective was a supervisor at one time and had lots of issues that ultimately lead to stepping down and becoming part of the regular patrol again! You are correct in that non union work places can work if the administration is ethical and fair, but you are not correct that a lot of departments have no union. Centerville is the only large department around this area that does not have a union. Mosat small agencies that have part timers and auxillaries do not have unions, but that it is it! Springboro would never work without a union because the administration feels that they can do whatever they want and get away with it.
I agree with your comments to Springboro Neighbor! Why is the FOP not taking more action? I'm sure that officers are afraid to file a grievance no matter how bad now, because then they would be targets. Why should some one come in to investigate? Perjury is a crime and because of the illegal actions in Battle Creek Michigan are a red flag and the internal investigations appear to be very bogus and almost appear to be framing good people to be fired. If this much unethical stuff is being aired publicly then what is being covered up must be very bad. The Dayton Daily News and Lawrence Budd have to have this information why aren't they questioning it? Mr. Budd spins all his stories to make the police look evil while trying to make all criminals in to poor victims. The union needs start earning their dues!
Amazed

West Chester, OH

#54 Apr 28, 2009
It's about time people speak up about the corrupt deviances of Springboro.
It is so sad that the so called "superiors" are pushing out the hardworking policemen and dispatchers that want nothing more than to make a difference in the world, protect it. You know, reasons most men and women get involved in law enforcement. All that will be left at Springboro are employees just as corrupt as Thompson, Pozzuto, Kruithoff and Parker...karma sucks...and believe me they will ge theirs when it comes back to bite them in their overpayed, over compensated, lying butts.
flabbergasted

Richmond, KY

#55 May 3, 2009
Hell, if people are so afraid to come out to the public about all of the allegations. Send all the facts my way. I'd be more then happy to show the public how so-called police offers treat their community.
Expert Opinion

United States

#56 May 4, 2009
MZA, you are so dead on about Budd! I read the story about Pultz and was amazed that he let the chief say comments about Pultz should not be a police officer when Budd knew full well of the stories in Battle Creek Michigan! How could a man that was pushed out for illegal activities sit on a mountain and play God? Budd........We know you read this site so what are your answers to these questions? Is it possible that these officers are hardworking individuals that fell victim to unethical administration practices in Springboro?
Citizens Arrest

Cincinnati, OH

#57 May 5, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
FBI investigation??? There is nothing that would call for an FBI investigation. You are talking about a department that has issues with lying, forcing the hand of their officer, cheating etc.....But why would the FBI come in when there are department out there engaged in illegal activities such as bribery, extortion, etc etc....
Because these "department issues" are pouring into "the streets".

This department in pushing the limits of everthing, and I have to believe laws ARE being broken.

Maybe Montgomery County Sheriff could start investigation and see what they find.

These cops need a MUCH SHORTER leash!! and MUCH LESS pay. I cant believe how much these traffic oops make...what is with all the overtime?

No cop in Springboro should make over $55k.

Springboro is a horrible department. I hope someone can clean it up. Several officers need to move on.
Expert Opinion

United States

#58 May 5, 2009
Citizens Arrest come on????? I respect your opinion and everyone elses opinion on here, but lets not forget that the men and women of that department are putting their lives on the line every day for the safety of the community. Although Springboro is not an inner-city department, there is still a lot of dangerous incidents that these brave men and women have to face without regard for their own safety at times. Every workplace has a few bad seeds and I agree a few officers should move on, but the majority of the patrol officers, detectives and sgts. are real good people that care deeply about making a diffrence. Springboro is actually under paid and if you did your research, you would have seen that was the huge issue for the union to overcome and why this whole mess got started. Every officer in America deserves more pay and deserves our respect because they do what most people can not, will not or are afraid to do! Please do not judge all officers until you have strapped on a duty belt, radio, gun, bullet proof vest, laced your boots and searched a dark building at 3am for a burglar without knowing what corner he might be behind ready and waiting to take your life. When is the last time you chased a car at 130mph because the driver just raped a little girl and then chased the armed driver into a dark wooded area? When is the last time you walked up to a vehicle on a traffic stop that has pitch black tinted windows and occupied by four of the biggest drug dealers from Dayton who are all armed and have felony warrants for their arrest? How many pools have you dove into with 20 pounds of gear on to try to save an elderly man that was drowning? Have you ever gave CPR to a 3 month old infant, only to have that child die in your arms and then swallow your tears long enough to tell the parents that their baby had passed away? If not, Citizens Arrest, please do not make such rude comments! There are a lot of good people in the Springboro Police Department who are given a bad name by a few idiot officers and a bad upper administration. They do deserve our respect

Dayton, OH

#59 May 5, 2009
Expert Opinion wrote:
Citizens Arrest come on????? I respect your opinion and everyone elses opinion on here, but lets not forget that the men and women of that department are putting their lives on the line every day for the safety of the community. Although Springboro is not an inner-city department, there is still a lot of dangerous incidents that these brave men and women have to face without regard for their own safety at times. Every workplace has a few bad seeds and I agree a few officers should move on, but the majority of the patrol officers, detectives and sgts. are real good people that care deeply about making a diffrence. Springboro is actually under paid and if you did your research, you would have seen that was the huge issue for the union to overcome and why this whole mess got started. Every officer in America deserves more pay and deserves our respect because they do what most people can not, will not or are afraid to do! Please do not judge all officers until you have strapped on a duty belt, radio, gun, bullet proof vest, laced your boots and searched a dark building at 3am for a burglar without knowing what corner he might be behind ready and waiting to take your life. When is the last time you chased a car at 130mph because the driver just raped a little girl and then chased the armed driver into a dark wooded area? When is the last time you walked up to a vehicle on a traffic stop that has pitch black tinted windows and occupied by four of the biggest drug dealers from Dayton who are all armed and have felony warrants for their arrest? How many pools have you dove into with 20 pounds of gear on to try to save an elderly man that was drowning? Have you ever gave CPR to a 3 month old infant, only to have that child die in your arms and then swallow your tears long enough to tell the parents that their baby had passed away? If not, Citizens Arrest, please do not make such rude comments! There are a lot of good people in the Springboro Police Department who are given a bad name by a few idiot officers and a bad upper administration. They do deserve our respect
You always say to research this stuff, so I wanted to research your statement about Springboro officers being underpaid. I think $55,000 plus benefits, is a VERY good wage, so I decided to look into some things. I remembered an article I read or something I heard from someone about a dispute or something a few years ago between the FOP and the City.

If you go to the State of Ohio website, you can find all the disputes between the unions and governments in Ohio that were settled by a unbiased third party.

I searched "Springboro" and found case 06-MED-08-0831. After reading it, it was very interesting to see that the arbitrator awarded the City with pretty much everyting it argued for.

Sounds to me like any mess that was started was started by the officers.

While saying all of this, I do believe the police department has excellent employees and I have always been impressed with them, from the Chief all the way down. It takes a special person to be an officer. Maybe the bad seeds are already gone? Again, I have seen bad seeds operate too many times at my own job.
Citizens Arrest

Cincinnati, OH

#60 May 6, 2009
But the stories you're presenting here are "priceless".

Let me ask you this: What (in your opinion) is too much?$100k,$150k ....?

Where is the line?

As for good cops vs. bad cops. Springboro cops have a serious attitude and maturity problem.

Lives on the line??? Give me a break, Springboro Street workers have more of a chance of being killed. There isnt much going on in Springboro other then speeding.

Spare me the very few "Hero" stories.

These guys are way over paid for writing tickets.
Expert Opinion wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr Chris 20,107
maternity care new to area 11 hr newbymom 3
Ohio's bitchin' politicians... 12 hr Fan of Leon The Man 1
R.I.P. My 1997 SONY fat-screen TV 13 hr The Duke of Hazard 1
why do white people smell like wet dogs? (Oct '14) Tue THE DOCTOR IS IN 17
Today's Leon Harrison Quotation Tue Leon Harrison 32
"Our ITTs can't compete with their H-1Bs" Aug 30 Leon Harrison 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages