Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,320

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#15654 Dec 14, 2010
Hey Pillar have you heard from Bernie lately?? Much like the BOE, I have not heard from him LOL Hope everything is OK. Then the BOE will question why every levy gets a "NO".
Pillar wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't agree more. Now here is an example of people that are not leading the way to changing our school system for the better. For lunch today I went to Heathers Face Book Page to see what their soup was. I like to stop in there for lunch on my lunch hour. I learned that they were having one of my favorites, Chicken Tortilla. I also saw this right below the soup of the day post:
Lisa Jo Brovont Babb: Thanks for donating AGAIN to our NFSS function last week. As always...YOU ROCK!!! Saturday at 10:52pm
It concerns me for a couple of reasons.
1) NFSS is still in full fund raising mode. IE they are STILL not listening to the majority of the community, raising funds for the next levy demand.
2) Instead of fund raising "For the Children", like the PTO, they are fund raising for themselves. How many 10s of thousands of dollars has NFSS raised and spent of failed levy "campaigns"?
3) NFSS Officer, Mrs. Babb thanks this business "AGAIN" for donating to their NFSS FUNCTION. AGAIN? Guess what Heather...I will remember that next time I decide where to go to buy a Kentucky Bourbon Ale, Stella Artois or some other import, smoke a cigar, and watch a game with the guys in the Man Cave, as I do quite often. Why should I spend my money in a business when I know profits are donated to an organization that goes against what I and most in this community stand for? I wonder what kind of donation Educate Springboro would get if they asked Heathers for one.
Now I know this is a teacher hangout and popular with the NFSS crowd. And business is business. BUT once you use your business as a public supporter of a PAC then I draw the line. They are free to donate their money as they see fit. But I am just as free to choose where to spend my money. I know where I will be spending less of it now. Why do these businesses continue to mix business with local politics? Especially when the politics they choose to publicly support are time and time again in the minority of community beliefs.
OH AND BTW...Thought this was Hilarious, also posted today on Heathers Face Book page:
Sonny Thomas: I just love your joint!! 4 hours ago
I wonder if NFSS will now deem Heathers as a racist coffee house because Sonny Thomas "likes" their joint. Does Lisa Babb and NFSS know that donations they receive from Heathers are in part from Sonny Thomas? lmbo.
Had Too Much

Bidwell, OH

#15655 Dec 14, 2010
Had too much already from our Springboro substitute teachers such as Tammy Grigsby and Lisa Babb; and our Neighbors for Springboro Schools activists, such as treasurer Larry Babb; blabbing for greed throughout our community and dominating our public school board meetings with their emotionally-charged Teachers Union pep rallies.

Substitute teacher Lisa Babb has shown herself willing to throw our school district parents under the bus; and our students off the bus into the cold; in her efforts to FIRST pave the highway for an easier ride for our Springboro Education Association's agenda for the future of our children, which is of greed, not need.

With the recent news article stating FACTS that substitute teachers nationwide are having great difficulty being hired as full time teachers in this current economy; the intense self interest of job security for teachers and administrators, promoted by our Neighbors for Springboro Schools and Springboro Education Association is transparent to community voters. Some voters see the NFSS and SEA combined agendas as sort of "you scratch my back; I'll scratch yours; since both parties are itching greedily for demands of big school spending and increased taxes.

Imagine the GOOD for our children's education that could be done IF our Neighbors for Springboro Schools and our Springboro Education Association directed their same engery used to raise money for greed, toward our childrens' classroom that ARE in need?
Had Too Much

Bidwell, OH

#15656 Dec 14, 2010
Had too much complaining from teachers about paying for classroom supplies out of their own pockets; and not enough recognition of good things from parents and community support. We can never have too much gratitude. Thank you, PTO. And thanks to all who contribute to the success of our Springboro PTO.

The GOOD for our children's education being done by our PTO is recognized in the recent Springboro Newsletter; Our PTO does a great job raising money; Deborah Ferris, PTO president. Then we partner with the teachers and principals to put those dollars where they will be used the most and where there is no general fund money available.
Twp Resident

Piqua, OH

#15657 Dec 14, 2010
Had Too Much wrote:
Had too much complaining from teachers about paying for classroom supplies out of their own pockets; and not enough recognition of good things from parents and community support. We can never have too much gratitude. Thank you, PTO. And thanks to all who contribute to the success of our Springboro PTO.
The GOOD for our children's education being done by our PTO is recognized in the recent Springboro Newsletter; Our PTO does a great job raising money; Deborah Ferris, PTO president. Then we partner with the teachers and principals to put those dollars where they will be used the most and where there is no general fund money available.
What I'VE had too much of... is hearing 2nd hand various teachers' b!+c#!ng & pathetic "oh, we've got no $ to buy supplies" sob stories being channeled thru my kids at the dinner table.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#15658 Dec 14, 2010
STOP STEP INCREASES!

Teachers want our money and they want it fast!

swee pea

Piqua, OH

#15659 Dec 15, 2010
Twp Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
What I'VE had too much of... is hearing 2nd hand various teachers' b!+c#!ng & pathetic "oh, we've got no $ to buy supplies" sob stories being channeled thru my kids at the dinner table.
Man you sure got that right! A lot of kids especially older students possess more wisdom than what many of their teachers actually give them credit for. The typical kid of today is more keen in this way than we were way back when, and they can usually see the truth of the matter through these kinds of soap opera melodramas at ever increasingly younger ages! I know of a few high schoolers who've gotten angry or disgusted after teachers or NFSS inspired people wasted too much valuable in-class study time with not-so-carefully-veiled pro-levy rant, or like you posted, the woe is me I don't have enough teachers supplies self pity parties.

Location hidden

#15660 Dec 15, 2010
All the more reason to stop the step increases. This is insanity!

Location hidden

#15661 Dec 15, 2010
All the more reason to stop the automatic step increases. This is insanity!

Location hidden

#15662 Dec 16, 2010
this morning as I watch my lane get blocked with this snow and drink my coffee, I reflect on the sad state of affairs in the Boro SD. Whether you are PRO or CON on this levy issue, you have to see the trends of the rest of the Country IE Florida's SD BOE meeting and many others. We have come a "ME" society rather than that society which the Supreme being means. the patients are running the Mental Hospital. Why does Lobbyist have more power than the Government?? Why does the teacher unions have more power than the BOE. We have dropped back to the 1920's where mob rule were high power. The government is worried that they will have to work until Christmas Eve when I have worked 24/7 from 12/26 to 1/3 with naps. Yes Virgina there is a Santa Clause but he/she/it (PC comment :?>) is buried in stuff darker/sticker than this snow. we have organizations that worry if there is nativity scene at the court house when within 5 blocks you have kids hungry / people being shot/ETC and those organizations are tax free when I as a farmer is taxed on how many bales of hay I have. We have a Teacher Union that is suppose to be made up of people who are preparing our kids for the future but whose leadership can't even understand the present. Great leaders understand the Goal is not as important as the Path there. Even the MEANEST and self center leaders (Business/government/etc) have realized too late that this is true and have tried to make good for the here after with donations Carnegie/Joesph/FORD/Edison all realized that they got the money but at what costs. Kids going to schools with big new tech things but are hungry is good?? Abe wrote in candle light with a blacken stick. MOO - kids with food to grow tall and strong are better prepared to accept the future than weak ill adults IE North Korea. China/North Korea are prime examples. MOO - leader are in front of fan guiding us not the supplier of the stuff hitting the fan.

Location hidden

#15663 Dec 16, 2010
If the English majors come on the attack - it is OK, just another example of killing the messenger over the listening to messenger IE the BOE over public and BOE members who are trying .
esc appointed treasuer

Yellow Springs, OH

#15664 Dec 16, 2010
why isnt George stepping up and being the interim treasurer? This is utter nonsense.
BOE or George

Miamisburg, OH

#15665 Dec 16, 2010
esc appointed treasuer wrote:
why isnt George stepping up and being the interim treasurer? This is utter nonsense.
Why would he step up to take over a balance sheet of a sinking ship?

Isn't he happy where he is?

I think the question is, why isn't the BOE changing the job description to make it one position, and then when his contract is up he can take the new responsibilities, or move on, and the BOE could hire someone else to do the job.

Again it's the BOE that is the problem, not George.
esc appointed treasuer

Yellow Springs, OH

#15666 Dec 16, 2010
If the higher paid staff (ex the business manager that states he has a treasurer's license) cannot fill in until the board finds a new one....then we are not serious about going the extra mile. I agree the positions should be combined and combined now....but the question is...is he really a licensed treausurer that can do the job? or do we have a "I have been exposed" limited skills high paid exec?

Location hidden

#15667 Dec 17, 2010
Basically it is against OHIO law - he can hold two administrative offices. as business mgr he BUYS things and as Treasurer he could OK the buy - simplified but that is the thought
esc appointed treasuer wrote:
Taxpayer

Wheeling, WV

#15668 Dec 17, 2010
"No one is without knowledge except he who asks no questions."
-West African Proverb

Is it the responsibility of our Board of Education to change policy in order to combine the business manager and treasurer hired positions? Anyone know if the recommendation has been made from taxpayers to Mr. Kruse to make this change?
Anybody else think ...It is unacceptable to taxpayers who support our schools with $42 million budget for our children's education, for our Board of Education officials to hire high cost administrators and neglect basic education needs of our children, such as providing safe transportation to our classrooms.(Recently on a cold frosty morn, I helped a young driver on the way to our excellent Springboro Schools dig out of a snow bank; parents had already left for work; and student was tense over getting to class on time; do you think our Board of Education officials and School Superintendent ever think that what happens at home BEFORE the students get to class has a direct influence on their readiness to learn once they arrive IN the classroom?)
Anybody else think it is wrong for our Teachers Union to demand much more of our $42 million than state minimums for themselves; BUT send the message loudly to our high school students that state minimum bus transportation to class suits the Teachers Union greedy agenda just fine?
Our Board of Education must step up to the strong leadership plate and put children first when budgeting our school tax dollars. Anybody out there feel that something is wrong in our school district leadership when we support big salaries and benefits to administrators such as $105,000/yr. Superintendent; $99,000/yr. Business Manager; and $103,000/yr. Treasurer? Andů..
In addition, taxpayers foot the bill for about $53,000/yr. Transportation director; and our BOE targets a certain group of high school students and their parents to punish because of levy failure to deny about $150,000/yr. of our tax money to be spent providing a safe ride to class. Is it not unacceptable to learn, according to our teachers union activists, that out of $42 million that our school children do not have adequate classroom supplies and up to date textbooks? And do Springboro taxpayers not support the increased salary of $99,742/yr. for Sandra Warner, Springboro Schools Executive Director of Instruction?
Anybody out there see anything wrong with this? What I see wrong is that our Board of Education officials are putting Springboro Education Association demands FIRST in our school budget; and it is time for taxpayers in our school district to demand that our Board of Education officials put our children FIRST in our school budget.
Mr. Kruse, BOE president: COMBINE the administrative positions of Business Manager/Treasurer; and cut the big cost of TWO salaries; and use our school tax dollars to the benefit of children first. Is it not one of the board's primary responsibilities to set policy upon which all administrative action is based?
Mr. Kruse, Mr. Miller, Mr. Anderson, Ms. Ellis, Dr. Kohls; the weather outside is frightful! Why not get to work to bring goodwill to all residents of our Springboro City/Community school district by tearing down that wall of intimidation and control between our Springboro Education Association and our Board of Education's responsibility to:
Establish a sound philosophy for all educational programs and activities.
Provide leadership for educational progress through a consensus of goals and objectives.
Adopt policies for the operation of the school district.
Approve adequate methods of program and personnel evaluation.
Develop sound financial plans consistent with district needs and community resources.
Make sound decisions in the areas of budget, curriculum and instruction, collective bargaining, and program planning.
May Flower

Piqua, OH

#15669 Dec 17, 2010
BOE or George wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would he step up to take over a balance sheet of a sinking ship?
Isn't he happy where he is?
I think the question is, why isn't the BOE changing the job description to make it one position, and then when his contract is up he can take the new responsibilities, or move on, and the BOE could hire someone else to do the job.
Again it's the BOE that is the problem, not George.
Agreed! George Long would have to be nuts to step into the treasurer's position. His ultimate destiny in that role, as turbulant as district affairs are these days, probably wouldn't be a whole lot different than the fate of newbie Yankees managers & coaches during the earlier years of the Steinbrenner regime.
Funny Funny

Lebanon, OH

#15670 Dec 17, 2010
I love the way "Educate Springboro" goes to the public about starting the healing and bringing both sides to the table, but then continues the same old spin and same old rhetoric. Supreme double standards.
Better go to the pharmacy and pick up my prescriptions now.
broke banker

Dayton, OH

#15671 Dec 17, 2010
Funny Funny wrote:
I love the way "Educate Springboro" goes to the public about starting the healing and bringing both sides to the table, but then continues the same old spin and same old rhetoric. Supreme double standards.
Better go to the pharmacy and pick up my prescriptions now.
ya anderson, better get those diet pills if you can't say no to a bucket of buffalo wings.
swee pea

Piqua, OH

#15672 Dec 17, 2010
broke banker wrote:
<quoted text>
ya anderson, better get those diet pills if you can't say no to a bucket of buffalo wings.
Hey, isn't there a common prescription mood stabilizer that could also double as diet pills? That one should be right up Scott's alley! lol!
Tell it like it is

Cincinnati, OH

#15673 Dec 17, 2010
This is an excerpt from an article about a small city in Rhode Island. Do we want the same outcome for Springboro City Schools? We are on the road to the same fate if we cave into the demands of the unions for another levy increase. We must say "No" to this insanity of the SD unions insatiable appetite for levies! We need to live within our means.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/CF_REPORT_1...

"The major problem is the city, with an annual operating budget of about $16 million, is facing about $32 million in promised after-retirement health-insurance costs in addition to the $48 million in pension obligations".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Emotional Blackmail in Springboro (May '13) 3 hr truth to power 36
Middletown 1965 to early 70 (Jun '09) 5 hr thetallcoolone 237
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 16 hr Fred 19,408
Obama to take away free antenna TV (Dec '09) 20 hr Joni Kooken 43
Concealed carry in Boro's schools - not a matte... (Jul '13) Tue soph 78
Mart Crowe (May '12) Oct 26 yourfriendjayne 66
741 & 73 intersection make over Oct 25 traffic cop 1
Springboro Dating
Find my Match

Springboro People Search