Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,562

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Exactly

Monroe, OH

#5990 May 6, 2009
Stay Alert wrote:
<quoted text>
BUT, just in case, Mom... shouldn't you be shopping for a bigger pumpkin shell to keep YOUR child's future in it very well?? Make sure it has a large handle, so that after your child graduates from the Borohood schools, your child's college professors can "pick up" where you left off and carry YOUR child into the "future." Remember, only the strongest pumpkin shell handles will survive!(Now look at the camera and SMILE...you've been punked by a common sense 'Boro voter)!
No one was punk'd because your ridiculous comments were only understood by you. I can see why education is not that important to you. You clearly did not receive a very good one.
Mark Witsken

Yellow Springs, OH

#5991 May 6, 2009
Concerned Clearcreek Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
While driving my kids to school this morning, it was so quiet through Springboro you could almost hear a pin drop. It reminded me of the "quietness" before an impending tornado. The looks on the faces of the other people I passed did not look happy. I don't feel especially happy this morning either.
I agree with what Springboro Mom (above) wrote. This levy was only defeated by 137 votes which means this is an extremely divided community. Yes, they will probably quickly put it on the ballot again, whether in August or November, which we will quickly find out soon and which will feed the fire. As their spokesman Chris Kershner said on the news last night "they need to educate more voters" and :this will be coming up again and won't go away. " Next time, either side may win by 137 votes, 20, 200, 1,250, etc. but is anybody really a winner with such a divided community?
Everyone wants good schools. Everyone wants the value of their home to stay good. I think most people want busing for all students in our community and reasonable sports fees. Parents do not want to be held hostage for new levies that appear every few years. Between all the "emotion" on each side there are a lot of facts that show that the administration has not been good stewards of the money and financially responsible.
Dr. Baker and the Board of Springboro Schools - please take off your blinders and see the "whole community" and what everyone has been saying for the past four levy attempts. Surely, there is still a way for you to roll up your sleeves, think outside of the box, and do the right things for the community? Credibility could be restored if you developed a community task force to look at what the community really wants, what cuts the community wants, and then what additional money is really needed when these things occur. Just shoving it down the throats of everybody again will not work.
Now, to get off blogging for a while and go plant some pretty flowers.:)
Hands down, I think you win the post of the day award, CCM.
(-:

No one with any measure of civic couth should be proud about what happened in this community last night, much less talk openly about drinking beer & whooping it up in celebration.

I too have seen the gross manipulation, leveraging & bullying of taxpayers in this district recently.
Frankly, it outright angers me, and I took out some of this anger at the polls yesterday.
(Yes...we have kids in school here)

But that doesn't mean I'll continue to rub it in the face of my adversary... TODAY.

Sure...it's gonna come back to another vote later this year.
Maybe in the meantime, both parties can come to some to see more common ground in each other's eyes.
WOW

Miamisburg, OH

#5992 May 6, 2009
Exactly wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. I can not let this one pass. Pillar, Bernie, Moe, CCM, Bunchabunk : READ THESE WORDS FROM YOUR OWN SUPPORTER!
"All this so called division will stop the influx of people to Sboro and the overcrowding situation will be fixed. My hope is population will reduce. One Centerville parent above said they avoided Sboro because of this."
Exactly! That is one of the major problems! It is going to keep future home buyers from buying homes and moving to Springboro. Therefore effecting PROPERTY VALUES! Spoken from one of your very own.
Amen!!! Cut off your nose to spite your face. It's embarrasing to be a Boro resident.
Exactly

Monroe, OH

#5993 May 6, 2009
Concerned reident wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don'y know expose where you work so we yes voters can choose to dobusiness elsewhare as well please?
Clearly he is retired or else he would be too busy to make fun of all the honest, hard working people in the community who dare to have a voice.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#5994 May 6, 2009
Exactly wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. I can not let this one pass. Pillar, Bernie, Moe, CCM, Bunchabunk : READ THESE WORDS FROM YOUR OWN SUPPORTER!
"All this so called division will stop the influx of people to Sboro and the overcrowding situation will be fixed. My hope is population will reduce. One Centerville parent above said they avoided Sboro because of this."
Exactly! That is one of the major problems! It is going to keep future home buyers from buying homes and moving to Springboro. Therefore effecting PROPERTY VALUES! Spoken from one of your very own.
One of MY very own? LOL !

Overcrowding? Where?
McBoro

Miamisburg, OH

#5995 May 6, 2009
Pillar wrote:
Boy oh boy...What a day, what a day.
The sun is shining, the birds are chirping.
Buses are rolling, buildings still standing with space to spare, certified teachers teaching, kids at thier desks learning The 3 R's & The History of Rock & Roll, preparing for thier bright futures.
Workers working feverishly, being paid by the taxpayer, to build a new bigger sign of some sort in front of the Jr High.(Hey what would our Childrens Futures be without a bigger fancier expensive electronic sign?)
And the best part about today...I got a lil extra money in my pocket for those couple pizzas a month.
Taking Babbs advice too, resetting my priorities...I won't be ordering them from Rosati's anymore. ;)
What is the reason not to order from Rosati's anymore?
BORO Voter

Miamisburg, OH

#5996 May 6, 2009
Stay Alert wrote:
<quoted text>
BUT, just in case, Mom... shouldn't you be shopping for a bigger pumpkin shell to keep YOUR child's future in it very well?? Make sure it has a large handle, so that after your child graduates from the Borohood schools, your child's college professors can "pick up" where you left off and carry YOUR child into the "future." Remember, only the strongest pumpkin shell handles will survive!(Now look at the camera and SMILE...you've been punked by a common sense 'Boro voter)!
You make no sense. I'm for my kids growing up tough. I hate that Springboro students are soft and their parents get way to involved with school and sports. I do not do my kids with homework, it is their responsibility. I only want my kids to get a great education and I belive that class sizes of 30 are too large, simple as that.
Boroman54

Eaton, OH

#5997 May 6, 2009
Exactly wrote:
<quoted text>
and adding to the tax burden of current and future home owners in the STATUS QUO will not help the situation and if you add that the Job OPS in the near area is dive bombing to the bottom. Again the PRO's are broadcasting the illness not the Cure. The major CON supporters are not even talking about the tax increase they are talking about the methods used to spread the money. Fact the current BOE and Dr B have shown that they can and will continue their policies and refused to work as the taxpayer is asking. All parties have to realize they are all in the same whirl pool and only one side is trying to grab for the safety rope -
Resident of 23 years

Springboro, OH

#5998 May 6, 2009
I think as many NO voters as possible should show up at the next BOE meeting where the levy loss is sure to be a hot topic. We should push for a community planning forum and then participate. I teach college on Monday and Thursday nights, but will attend if it's on any other night of the week.(And yes, I have attended in the past and have been shut down and stonewalled when asking questions or making suggestions.)

By the way, I am losing my job as of June 30, when the state contract for the program I teach is pulled from my college as well as the other 15 colleges around the state. Our work with early literacy will be moved to other entities and we can apply with them to continue our work, but there are no guarantees.

Education in general in this state is in a state of upheaval for many reasons and the allocation of money is leading to big fights at all levels. However, educational research shows time and again that the real difference is in the involvement of the teachers and the parents during and after the school day. The increased class sizes projected for Springboro are NOT the problem. The attitudes of teachers and administrators ARE the problem.

They have chosen to treat anyone with DIFFERENT ideas from themselves as the ENEMY (and I've been involved enough with the Springboro schools as a parent, advisor and other roles to see this in action). This is especially sad and hypocritical since one of the goals of education in Ohio is to teach students to value and respect diverse ideas. Isn't there a saying...physician heal thyself.

It's time for our BOE, admin. and faculty to live up to the ideals of a good education and open their minds and welcome the involvement of the WHOLE community.

Location hidden

#5999 May 6, 2009
Concerned reident wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don'y know expose where you work so we yes voters can choose to dobusiness elsewhare as well please?
Concerned Reident...Better be careful, with that many typos JDawg will be all over ya!
Exactly

Monroe, OH

#6000 May 6, 2009
Boroman54 wrote:
<quoted text> and adding to the tax burden of current and future home owners in the STATUS QUO will not help the situation and if you add that the Job OPS in the near area is dive bombing to the bottom. Again the PRO's are broadcasting the illness not the Cure. The major CON supporters are not even talking about the tax increase they are talking about the methods used to spread the money. Fact the current BOE and Dr B have shown that they can and will continue their policies and refused to work as the taxpayer is asking. All parties have to realize they are all in the same whirl pool and only one side is trying to grab for the safety rope -
Do you not get how it works? Better schools, stronger community, more desirability, high proprty values. Yes! That will mean more taxes. But guess what - it also means more equity in your home, which is more money in your pocket and will far outwheigh any taxes you may spend. Much more in fact. The taxes are a reality no matter where you live.

This is not about the illness. Passing levies is the solution.

The no voters may be discussing the issues. BUT only because it is their strategic plan to manipulate voters like you into thinking they actually care about your childrens education.

They seem like dumb, uneducated, old men - but they are brilliant at their tactical approach at making you think they care about you, and winning you over to their side, for their own good.

Almost sounds like the very thing they are accussing the school administration of, doesn't it.

Location hidden

#6001 May 6, 2009
Exactly wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly he is retired or else he would be too busy to make fun of all the honest, hard working people in the community who dare to have a voice.
Yea...clearly...go with that.

Care to point out any single one of the nearly 10,000 honest, hardworking people in the community that dared to have a voice yesterday that I personaly made fun of?

Yea that's what I thought.
Novoter

Amelia, OH

#6002 May 6, 2009
Exactly wrote:
<quoted text>
Again! Do you people reading this blog get that these so called "Smart Voters" are manipulating you to try and control the growth and population so that they do not have to pay more taxes, since their kids are out of school, AND so that they can keep things the way they were in the good old days.
Stop letting them trick you or deceive you into hurting your schools, your children, your neighbors and your property values.
They are spinning this propaganda for their futures, not yours. Someone already paid for their childrens educations, and now they do not want to do the same.
Hmmm. Some people have been here over 25 years. They have paid for their kids, some kids before theirs and YOUR KIDS TOO and are still paying.

Since: Aug 08

Loveland, OH

#6003 May 6, 2009
Exactly wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking about Pillar or Dr Baker. I mean he (Dr Baker)is retired too !!!

Sorry couldn't resist a little post levy humor.
DennisGannonsJai lBeotch

Tipp City, OH

#6004 May 6, 2009
you greed bastards ought to be ashamed of yourselves! voting down levy's 4 times!
Mark Witsken

Yellow Springs, OH

#6005 May 6, 2009
I agree 1000%!!!!
(-:
Believe me, Now a yes voter, I've been there many times over with Warren Co administrator Dennis Pickett & George Long.
This discussion is well documented on topix.com , probably going back well into this past winter or last fall.
Five Points Elementary:
Dennis Picket points to Springboro Schools and says it's up to them to spend $$$ to pave sidewalks directly to the street before he'll spend $$$ to put in crosswalks and right-of-way public sidewalks along Lytle 5 Points Rd.
Springboro schools points right back at Clearcreek Township and says it's complete waste of taxpayer dollars to build sidewalks to the street until crosswalks are installed and right-of way public sidewalks are built by the township!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH HHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Here's the truth, people:
Two of the newest & largest elementary schools in the state of Ohio right here in this district were apparently intended... BY DESIGN... to be driven to, and not walked to.
No doubt they probably didn't want to deal with any liability lawsuits, etc.
From day 1 of their openings in the fall of 2006, walking to and fro by schoolchildren has been looked down upon by principals and staff alike.
Initially that 1st autumn of '06, an old district policy was resurrected & enforced that all children MUST have a parent / guardian with them as they entered school grounds, and accompanying them all the way up to the school's front doors.
We live about five or six stones throws from Five
(-;
As far as sidewalks & crosswalks for direct access to Heatherwoode for Jr, Sr high and some older Dennis kids, keep in mind S.R. 741 is generally a state of Ohio entity.
I suspect that the overall district strategy is to grab as much stimulus help from Columbus as can possibly be had.
Boroman54 wrote:
<quoted text>1st Dennis is the Clearcreek admin not Warren County - The sidewalk issue is quite easy to fix When the homes were built on "peanuts" old farm - the Warren county and Clearcreek zoning commission should have manidated it. In Missouri - any subdivison developer has to provide at least one community use building otherwise they can't even come to the meeting - Look at the JR/HS school built in the expanded city limits but no sidewalks - if you look at Little Miami's HS - built on edge of town but there are sidewalks. it would appear that the "Pro"s are preaching to the Choir here. the Pro's want the tax payer to paid for something that the ADMIN /BOE didn't even think of or maybe they thought of it and decided the BOE needed a new board building first Much like building MEGA building that were not required and were not design for future growth - With the JW closing - the PRO's have displayed that they can't handle being a growth community and now they want the taxpayer to bail them out. I don't want to get up on the soap box - So I will do the same thing the BOE/Admin are doing except I will inform you that the facts are out there if you want to look (unlike BOE who think if they state quiet that the taxpayer won't look and won't care the "No Blood no Foul theory"
1. I knew the instant I posted that I had the error with Pickett's title being wrong.
My one allotted mistake for the year 2009 has been committed, and there's still almost 8 full months remaining! OMG!

2. Your initial stance on this point is quite arrogant, for no good reason that I can see.
If this (now... suddenly prominent) sidewalk issue around Springboro's schools is indeed "quite easy to fix" as you say it is, Boroman54, why don't you just jump right on in there and go pick up the phone and git 'r done right now?!?
Stay Alert

Pittsburgh, PA

#6006 May 6, 2009
BORO Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
You make no sense. I'm for my kids growing up tough. I hate that Springboro students are soft and their parents get way to involved with school and sports. I do not do my kids with homework, it is their responsibility. I only want my kids to get a great education and I belive that class sizes of 30 are too large, simple as that.
Boro voter... take a bow for your greatness and keep on keeping on! Now ...read my lips... no new taxes because taxes are taxes and enough is enough and "we the people" are taxed enough already. And I, for one, am sick of hearing parents and educators in thise school district whine as if every resident in Springboro has only ONE tax burden--Your child's education! Here's an example from the website Roll Back the Tax:

"I started to put together a list of some of the taxes we have just accepted we have to pay:
∑ Federal, State, Local Income taxes
∑ Property tax
∑ Sales tax
∑ Social Security tax
∑ Alternative Minimum Tax
∑ use taxes
∑ unemployment taxes
∑ DMV Ďfeesí
∑ Permits to build a house
∑ Permits to remodel a house
∑ Traffic tickets
∑ inflation- the sneakiest tax
∑ Luxury tax
∑ Telephone tax
∑ Fuel tax
∑ Cigarette tax
∑ Liquor tax
Ií m sure there are many more. Please add your comments and remind me of any Iíve missed." -the editor
Chris

Hopkins, MN

#6007 May 6, 2009
There is a definite need for administration change in Springboro. This latest levy failure was a referendum on the school board and the superintendent.

I agree w/ everyone showing up at the school board meeting, no voters and yes voters alike. Yes voters should be mad as hell at the current administration for their scare tactics (vote for the levy or else, ooga booga!) and their failure to deliver for them.

Instead of a levy, how about a recall on the next ballot?

Location hidden

#6008 May 6, 2009
McBoro wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the reason not to order from Rosati's anymore?
Front page, DDN. 4,000 "calls to voters expected to support the levy" were placed from there.

A shame too, cuz I like the garlic specialty pizza.:(
Exactly

Monroe, OH

#6009 May 6, 2009
Novoter wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm. Some people have been here over 25 years. They have paid for their kids, some kids before theirs and YOUR KIDS TOO and are still paying.
Right, that is how it works. Stop fighting it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr nter Username 19,573
Riot at Dayton Mall Wal-Mart on Xmas Eve ... Wh... 10 hr The New Cool Warrior 3
donnie burns outlaws mc (Feb '12) Fri brownkr38 6
Jerkwad Jabbar-shooting details emerge: Fri bite me 8
Happy Kwanzaa! Thu The Hack Checker 1
Bradley Glossen Thu flower 1
Bad experience at Miami Valley Hospital Thu talker43 1
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info