Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
5,621 - 5,640 of 31,137 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Hey Bernie.

Got a question for you or anyone else that may know the difference.

Some of the school district resides in Montgomery county, yet still part of the Springboro School. Any idea on the difference in how homes in Mont Co valuations would differ than their Warren County neighbors. Some of the homes in the back of Settlers Walk, etc, where some of the biggest yes turnouts originate from are in Mont Co, not Warren. I wonder if this bigger turnout has anything to do with a difference in the taxes one pays. Heck a person whose home is valuated by Warren Co could sit a mere few feet from one that sits in Mont Co. I am not asking facetiously, could there be a big difference in total tax bills based on the county making the valuation?
Bill

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Let me remind "Consider this First" and any other Springboro residents that feel entitled to more of my tax dollars. If you are sending your child to a "public" school than I am required to help fund a "basic" education for you kids. If you want more than that, send them to a private school.

The sports programs at many "public" schools have gotten costly and out of hand, including Springboro. If you want your child to have pro sport aspirations, than join a private club or AAU team which you will fund and not the taxpayer. Because let me asure you that should junior become a pro, which is highly unlikely, the tax payers back in little old Springboro will not be sharing in his wealth.

Not addressing teacher's salaries and class size. Again I only need to fund a basic education for you child. I am comfortable with paying $50,000 per teacher, but not the newly discovered $70,000 plus salaries of the current crop of 9 month employees. Since most of us 30 and up crowd had class sizes of 30+ in K-12, you'll get no sympathy for classes of 20 or less for your kid. If you want that, fund the private school!

NO Tuesday is in 12 hours!
Clueless

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Consider This First Wrote:

"The very people putting everyone down for differing points of view on this blog, could be some of the very people parenting the kids my children would have to walk to school with, or stand beside on their own at a bus stop. For obvious reasons, I am not comfortable with that."

I thought I had heard it all, but this takes the cake. A Parent admits why her kid can't go to a community bus stop.
Clueless

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Consider this first wrote:
I am sitting here, reading these posts and thinking to myself; I bet all these very passionate "Smart Voters" must have some serious personal financial trouble if they are willing to spend the majority of their days, sitting a blog, repeating their same anti-tax propaganda, and putting down anyone who has a different view point than theirs. Why else would they spend so much time being so hateful to others?
Either that, or they are retired, living on a fixed income, with their children already through the system, and are trying their very best to manipulate others so that they can keep their taxes where they would like them to be. They probably do not even really care about what is going on in the schools.
Well, the truth is that schools need money, same as everyone else. And just like all of you, their bills are not fixed. Perhaps you disagree with busing, sports, and teacher salaries. But let me say this - as I am sure you are aware of, you get what you pay for in life. I personally would rather have a well paid happy teacher for my child, than a burned out underpaid disgruntled one. I also would prefer for my child to grow up in a community that values their desire to excel in sports. That creates a sense of school pride and unity. Sporting events bring people together, they can inspire communities, they create wonderful qualities in students. They are important.
Now on to busing - there may have been a time when it was safe for kids to walk two miles to school or stand at community bus stops. Sadly, those times have long passed. If you disagree, just read some of these posts. People are increasingly cruel and make poor judgements. The same is true for our kids. The very people putting everyone down for differing points of view on this blog, could be some of the very people parenting the kids my children would have to walk to school with, or stand beside on their own at a bus stop. For obvious reasons, I am not comfortable with that.
Lastly, it has to be noted that a community that can not afford quality teachers, programs, and busing is not a desireable one when people are looking to buy a home. That in turn makes homes not sell, which makes listing prices fall, which devalues neighboring properties. And when homes become very affordable, and the schools are somewhat better than, oh let's say, Dayton public, guess who moves in. People with less than desirable backgrounds, values, and morals. You do not belive me?? Do some research. Trotwood, Northmont, West Carrollton ... to name a few. How do you feel about their communities and schools? Like them enough to leave Springboro and move there??
Vote smart, vote yes! Save the schools, and the property values. Not only for the future of the children, but for the future of the community.
You do not have to agree with everything going on, but you will only hurt yourself if you continue to let the levy fail. Deal with the issues later. Focus on your future now.
Don't want the rifraft of the Trotwoods, Northmonts and the West Carrolltons moving to Boro.

Racist. Snob. Enabler. It is people like YOU that have pretty much ruined Springboro for what it use to be. I really wish you would have stayed up in Beavercreek or Centerville. I guess Centerville was getting too diverse for your type though. I am ashamed to call someone like you my neighbor.
Boroman54

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Pillar wrote:
Hey Bernie.
Some of the school district resides in Montgomery county, yet still part of the Springboro School. Any idea on the difference in how homes in Mont Co valuations would differ than their Warren County neighbors. Some of the homes in the back of Settlers Walk, etc, where some of the biggest yes turnouts originate from are in Mont Co, not Warren. I wonder if this bigger turnout has anything to do with a difference in the taxes one pays. Heck a person whose home is valuated by Warren Co could sit a mere few feet from one that sits in Mont Co. I am not asking facetiously, could there be a big difference in total tax bills based on the county making the valuation?
do not know about countie flips but I live in Turtlecreek township but all my kids when to boro because the school district lines and I pay boro school taxes not Lebanon. the property tax is based on the school district not the township
answer

Amelia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Pillar wrote:
Hey Bernie.
The people who are in the Montgomery County section of SW pay a higher tax than the same homes in Warren County. Warren County's tax rate is lower than Montgomery County's. The school portion of the tax is exactly the same for all homes in the Springboro School District.

As for tax valuation, being in real estate in the past, I always felt like the Warren County Auditor valued property slightly lower than the Montgomery County Auditor. I never knew why, and I never did any official "analysis" of it, but it was just a trend I noticed.

So I would always recommend that my clients recognized the great tax value they were getting in Springboro. It's a great community, great location, and also has highly rated schools. And the property taxes are actually some of the lowest around.

Just thought I would answer the question posed.
Concerned Clearcreek Mom

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

While you are sitting there pondering that we, those who only put down and hate others, must have no life to sit around and blog all day, would you like to know what I think about you? Good.
You come across as nothing, and I do mean nothing, more than a little stuck up snob. One who feels her precious little kids can't be caught around the unsavory kids of some of the bloggers here they might have to rub up against at the bus stop. Heaven help them!
One who is beside herself with the thought that this and future levies may continue to fail and has believed what her realtor friends are telling her...that the housing prices will go down, people will sell and move away, and the non-whites and white rednecks will move south to town. Heaven forbid if her little angel had to go to school and associate with those types!
One who feels she is more deserving than those on fixed incomes struggling or the retired who have already raised their kids, actually making fun of those that might be having financial struggles so unlike her precious family that is light years above the rest, one that is trying to appear so smart and with it, but only appears totally non-caring except for herself.
I can even imagine what you look like. "You get what you pay for in life."
"Deal with those issues later." "Focus on your future now." You don't even know it, but you are setting an absolutely horrible example for your children in everything you have written here. I truly hope you are not as bad as what you have professed here.
Bernie

Batavia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Try this link Pillar

http://www.mcrealestate.org/pdffiles/taxrates...

You realize that we took kids in from Miamisburg schools because Baker "thought it was cruel to split up a neighborhood". Miamisburg district said "Why sure!!!!!"
Bernie

Batavia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Concerned Clearcreek Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
While you are sitting there pondering that we, those who only put down and hate others, must have no life to sit around and blog all day, would you like to know what I think about you? Good.
You come across as nothing, and I do mean nothing, more than a little stuck up snob. One who feels her precious little kids can't be caught around the unsavory kids of some of the bloggers here they might have to rub up against at the bus stop. Heaven help them!
One who is beside herself with the thought that this and future levies may continue to fail and has believed what her realtor friends are telling her...that the housing prices will go down, people will sell and move away, and the non-whites and white rednecks will move south to town. Heaven forbid if her little angel had to go to school and associate with those types!
One who feels she is more deserving than those on fixed incomes struggling or the retired who have already raised their kids, actually making fun of those that might be having financial struggles so unlike her precious family that is light years above the rest, one that is trying to appear so smart and with it, but only appears totally non-caring except for herself.
I can even imagine what you look like. "You get what you pay for in life."
"Deal with those issues later." "Focus on your future now." You don't even know it, but you are setting an absolutely horrible example for your children in everything you have written here. I truly hope you are not as bad as what you have professed here.
WOW!! you go girl.

Hey CCM bet a beer that I get to the polls faster than you do!! Have to! Diane says vote early vote often!
We will be Voting

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

To Consider this First:
We live in FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP!!! Maybe my kid sits next to your kid. Scary, isn't it.

And, yes, it is legal.
Go look at a map of the school district. It is not only Clearcreek Township, but part of Turtlecreek and Franklin Township too are included in your school district.

Some of us even have cows, and horses, and kids in 4-H.
Concerned Clearcreek Mom

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Bernie wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW!! you go girl.
Hey CCM bet a beer that I get to the polls faster than you do!! Have to! Diane says vote early vote often!
A beer would be great after this. All of us should plan to meet in some dark seedy bar where rift-raft like us will fit in. I'll be wearing the dark sunglasses. See you at the polls everyone!:)
Consider this first

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

We will be Voting wrote:
To Consider this First:
We live in FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP!!! Maybe my kid sits next to your kid. Scary, isn't it.
And, yes, it is legal.
Go look at a map of the school district. It is not only Clearcreek Township, but part of Turtlecreek and Franklin Township too are included in your school district.
Unless you also pimp out your kids and sell drugs, you were not exactly the neighbors I was referring too. You may want to work through those insecurities you have going on.
Reality Check

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

<quoted text>
A beer would be great after this. All of us should plan to meet in some dark seedy bar where rift-raft like us will fit in. I'll be wearing the dark sunglasses. See you at the polls everyone!:)
Hey ya'all! I've got a great big couch on my porch where we all could sit and have a cold one after voting in the a.m. Huge fridge on porch too - so plenty of liquid refreshments. Just bring your own spitoon - gave it up for lent!
Consider this first

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Bernie wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW!! you go girl.
Wow! You hit the mark. I am one of those snobby, care about my childrens future education types. Don't you just hate me. I mean just imagine, someone who cares more about the value of my home, then the superintendents hair.

You and Bernie and all the "Gang", are just upset because someone is spending time challenging you and your rhetoric. If you must know, I do think you are white trash and it has nothing to do with your house, or type of car, or money in the bank, and everything to do with the way you treat others who come at you from a differing point of view. This would be a case in point.

I am not against anyone who is underprivledged or has a different ethnicity than myself. I am merely pointing out a fact of life (whether it is right or wrong) that when home prices fall, so comes all of the issues that opens up. Communities are forever changed, and not for the better. These are facts, not realtor talk.

The fact is that school performance in acheivement is directly linked to the money spent per student. And much as you may dislike it, or disagree, extracurricular activites indirectly feed into that performance.

You know the difference between upper class and middle class; EDUCATION, and it starts now. I want the best for my children, and I am so sorry that you feel that is not an example I should be setting.

If you do not like me - I think I can live with that. It is worth it, if even one person realizes how deceived they are by you and the rest of your ilk.

I am also wondering how many non-levy related board meetings you have attended to discuss all these issues you have presented? How many letters to the board? How many neighborhood meetings, pre-levy did you have to try to resolve your concerns? Before it hit your bottom line, I am guessing you did not care enough to take the time. It did not matter enough then, did it?

I fear you will succeed tomorrow. However, you will see in the long run that you have done nothing but fail. You may have good points, but you are so misguided if you think lower taxes will make things better. Pass the levy and then step away from this blog, and make a difference in the community by raising awareness in a reasonable and cooperative way. You may think I am dramatic, or a diva, or whatever you think - but I am giving you good advice. You are just being to "right" to see it.
News Facts

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

Stay Alert wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone see the FACTS on ABC TV national news last evening which reported names of colleges and universities all across the nation that are cutting Sports programs because of lack of funding?
In the best interest of our children's future and preparation for college.... stop thinking of self-interest and instant gratification for your students and explain to them there is not enough money for them to indulge themselves.
Teach your students to use money wisely and model parental responsibility on May 5. Vote Smart! Vote No .....
Take a look at the ratings on this EXCELLENT post--VERY telling. Those "disgruntled" yes voters JUMPED on this. The highest number of individual ratings I've seen on an item in a LONG while.

So--all of you "yes" voters out there--IT REALLY IS ALL ABOUT SPORTS NOW ISN'T IT??

Be honest. You want all of the taxpayers to pay for your kids to play. My kids come home in tears because not a single team will let them in--not even at 2nd or 3rd string or just bench warmers with heart to practice.

And you want US to pay for YOUR kids to play.

KO

Since: Aug 08

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

<quoted text>
You joke about it but however it goes tomorrow we all should try and set something up.
Clueless

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

<quoted text>
Unless you also pimp out your kids and sell drugs, you were not exactly the neighbors I was referring too. You may want to work through those insecurities you have going on.
Overt racism! You may wish to work through your issues. Sure hope you're not one of the highly-paid supplemental coaches we have employed in Springboro mentoring our kids. Even if you really feel these things in your heart, you really have the guts to post this rant?
Clueless

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

<quoted text>
Wow! You hit the mark. I am one of those snobby, care about my childrens future education types. Don't you just hate me. I mean just imagine, someone who cares more about the value of my home, then the superintendents hair.
You and Bernie and all the "Gang", are just upset because someone is spending time challenging you and your rhetoric. If you must know, I do think you are white trash and it has nothing to do with your house, or type of car, or money in the bank, and everything to do with the way you treat others who come at you from a differing point of view. This would be a case in point.
I am not against anyone who is underprivledged or has a different ethnicity than myself. I am merely pointing out a fact of life (whether it is right or wrong) that when home prices fall, so comes all of the issues that opens up. Communities are forever changed, and not for the better. These are facts, not realtor talk.
The fact is that school performance in acheivement is directly linked to the money spent per student. And much as you may dislike it, or disagree, extracurricular activites indirectly feed into that performance.
You know the difference between upper class and middle class; EDUCATION, and it starts now. I want the best for my children, and I am so sorry that you feel that is not an example I should be setting.
If you do not like me - I think I can live with that. It is worth it, if even one person realizes how deceived they are by you and the rest of your ilk.
I am also wondering how many non-levy related board meetings you have attended to discuss all these issues you have presented? How many letters to the board? How many neighborhood meetings, pre-levy did you have to try to resolve your concerns? Before it hit your bottom line, I am guessing you did not care enough to take the time. It did not matter enough then, did it?
I fear you will succeed tomorrow. However, you will see in the long run that you have done nothing but fail. You may have good points, but you are so misguided if you think lower taxes will make things better. Pass the levy and then step away from this blog, and make a difference in the community by raising awareness in a reasonable and cooperative way. You may think I am dramatic, or a diva, or whatever you think - but I am giving you good advice. You are just being to "right" to see it.
I am speechless. And this person should have taken my name - Clueless, with a capital C. Or maybe White Bigot Clueless would be better.

Where have you been all this time...Consider This First? Consider what first? Your ignorance? Your stupidity? You are the best thing that the anti-levy group could have going for it the night before the election. You could be our Poster Child on Why to Vote No...if facts don't pursuade someone.

I feel much better now about the outcome of tomorrow, gang, after reading her rants here. How do we spell D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-I-0-N???? They are really feel desperate because they are about to open their wallets because the spread the wealth ploy didn't work.

Vote Smart/Vote No on May 5th!
Consider this first

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

By the way, since you are all so open to having neighbors that are "undesirable", perhaps you should consider moving to one of the communities I mentioned. They too have had levy issues, and now have an affordable tax rate. And since a "basic" education is all you care about - you should be more than happy with the options the schools provide. That would actually solve my bus stop issues. Perfect.
Taxed to the Max

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

We will be Voting wrote:
To Consider this First:

Yeah! Proud to call you a neighbor! 4-H kids are some of the nicest, hardworking kids I've ever met. They seem to have more of a purpose for their lives. It really is about more than animals!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Springboro Discussions

Search the Springboro Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 min Old Guy 29,373
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Badabing Badabang 18,588
Kettering manufacturer wins $280K on aircraft p... 2 hr Defense Nut 1
Mayor Whaley: Immigrant children a humanitarian... 3 hr Leon Harison 1
Wright Patterson Air Force Base 4 hr The Hack Checker 1
Idea - convert tennis courts in front of Sycamo... 9 hr tennis 4
Mart Crowe (May '12) 19 hr riseabove 55
•••
•••
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000