Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,801

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Read more
Bernie

Amelia, OH

#4179 Apr 7, 2009
B54, did you know Noel Easton? I wonder what he would make of this now. To those who don't, Noel was the owner of the Easton Farm that is on 741. Quite a good individual. On the other side of 741 you had Boss Ketterings Farm (Dorthy Lane and Settlers Walk)that was owned by John Remick who used to be Mayor of Springboro. He is the one who gave us Heatherwood and Pioneer Blvd. It was a belief at that time that the thing to do was raise taxes higher to keep the "riff raff" out. I never thought I would hear that again.

Well the "riff raff" that founded this town did a pretty good job. They founded some of the churches that still stand in this town. They started Community Organizations Like the Grange, Lions Club, Rotarians, 4H. Their "riff raff" kin still live here and still contribute to this community. They may not live in a 500k house but I do know that they do not have "crumbs" on their tummy and will extend a hand to you and help lift you when you need it.

So when you fall of your garden tractor and need help getting up and you see a scruffy man in a pair of Bibbs with a smile a mile wide walking toward you.....don't be a dick....take his hand!

Since: May 08

Pittsburgh, PA

#4180 Apr 7, 2009
Another Boro Student wrote:
I forgot to say that you can sign up for the PSEO program until May 1.
Boro Student, how about expressing your interest in the PSEO program to your high school teachers so that Mr. Malone, SHS principal, can desiginate May 1 to recognize this educational program by allowing interesteded students to wear a PSEO hat to class. And what will be the cost of highlighting this educational program? Just Priceless!
Boroman54

Eaton, OH

#4181 Apr 7, 2009
Bernie - Yes Noel and I were friends for many years even when he was on board of Trustees for Clearcreek township - He would be hopping mad about the whole thing - He use to get angry about Jim Elders events. if Noel had his way 73 would still be split at 741. He said it helped keep the speed down and keep Carl H busy. LOL - I loved how that "park" is named for Fred Maine when Jim Elder was the push for it. I think Jim's sons tickets were the reason for re-format of the 741/73 inter change AND Ray Perez complains about the buses not being able to make the short chute to East bound 73.
Anonymously yours

Falling Waters, WV

#4182 Apr 7, 2009
Curious As Well wrote:
<quoted text>
You conviently forgot to mention the first item on the list is to hire more teachers to keep up with growth (and there are more kids coming in to the schools over the next few years than are graduating). Everyone keeps talking about busing and pay to play and not about the fundamental issue of class size. If you are going to engage in an honest discussion, you can't pick and choose the data to support your existing bias.
I didn't mention it because (1) the worst possible thing to do is to hire MORE teachers. That adds costs to the roll for the future years to comes and is the principal reason why our budget is the way it is. It is a nice "selling point" to non-astute voters, I guess.(2) We have been promised this before that our class sizes would "go down" and more teachers hired if we passed levies and this did not occur.(3) Student growth will not be at 250 students more per year, but even if it is, why would we need to hire 10 more teachers. You did hear that we closed Jonathan Wright, I presume?
Anonymously yours

Falling Waters, WV

#4183 Apr 7, 2009
Vote Yes wrote:
Well - It doesnt matter, We'll keep making up the difference so you can save your precious $300.
Just be thankful that someone is able to pay, so you dont have to live in Dayton.
<quoted text>
Hey, Vote Yes...I also live in an equally valued home in the district with two children and guess what? My husband and I are voting No and offsetting your votes!

Stop engaging in the class warfare. If you would bother to ask your neighbors, you will find that many of us don't "reward" bad financial decisions by giving them more money to more of the same. In fact, my experience has been that a lot of the people in the more expensive homes are the ones that are saying NO to this and all future levies.
Moe

Dayton, OH

#4184 Apr 7, 2009
Vote Yes wrote:
It does make sense, I know it seems counter intuitive.
And let me say that I completely understand the Vote NO position... I really do, but if you vote NO Baker then has every excuse to do whatever he wants to make our lives difficult.(empowered)
You WILL pay more out of your pocket if you vote NO. Absolutely no question about it.
Like I told KathyRN - Youre going to cut off your nose to spite your face.
Vote yes - then do everything you can to get rid of Baker and the current board.
<quoted text>
So a bully is disempowered when their demands are passively granted?

I do hope you continue to post. Please know your arguments are illustrating the need to vote no, strengthening the opposition's resolve, and adding some entertainment value to this board.
Anonymously yours

Falling Waters, WV

#4185 Apr 7, 2009
Resident of 23 years wrote:
<quoted text>
Holding the school accountable SHOULD have started years ago and NOW is as good a time as any to get back on the right track. And when the school district gets its financial house in order, I'll go back to voting Yes like I did for the previous 22 years.
And yes - the tax money I'll save by voting NO will help quite a bit. But the main point is that I refuse to be held hostage by an arrogant, wasteful, disingenuous school administration.
Amen, Sister! This is why myself, my husband and many of us folks in Springboro, even the ones than can easily afford $500,$700,$900 more in taxes per year, are voting a resounding NO. We do not reward a school board and superintendent who have made unwise and manipulative poor business decisions by throwing MORE MONEY at them. It is the absolutely ONLY way you force their hands to cut and get rid of some of the fat.

Get it Yes and Yes Votes???? We can afford this, yes many of us can...but we won't. And you have shown us NO reason why we should.
Bernie

Amelia, OH

#4186 Apr 7, 2009
Noel and I did some volunteer work together,He had alot of "lost" Construction techniques.

Oh...by the way the picnic shelters at North Park and Clearcreek elementary and a small sidewalk bridge on 73 were built by the "riff raff" Lions Club. The "riff raff" Jay Cees(future business leaders) did alot of volunteer work also. Ask Jeff Kirby. Thanks to Ed Wade the "riff raff" 4H club is doing well.
Anonymously yours

Falling Waters, WV

#4187 Apr 7, 2009
Vote Yes wrote:
Youre right! But Baker isnt going to suffer, we are.
Be careful what you wish for!!!
Vote NO, and you empower Baker. He will punish the community. Its going to get ungly!
<quoted text>
Just when I thought you couldn't sound any nuttier, you throw us that "Baker will punish us if we don't vote for this?" Oh, yeah. That is really going to get a yes-vote from me! You have also just confirmed what many people have posted on here and they have been called "conspiracy-theorists! " Thanks for the confirmation of how corrupt we know the super and board are!
Anonymously yours

Falling Waters, WV

#4188 Apr 7, 2009
Vote Yes wrote:
Well I would say approve the levy, then oust Baker!
OR
Fail the Levy - and Oust Baker really really fast!
Because it truly is going to cost more (out of pocket)if you VOTE NO.
<quoted text>
Truly cost more out of pocket by voting No???? Not my household, Mr. Sports parent! No little munchins in your over-rated sports system.
mom with a plan

Cincinnati, OH

#4189 Apr 7, 2009
Taxed Off wrote:
You can't get rid of Baker, even if you get an entirely new BOE. Remember, those of you have been following this board, Baker was given a NEW 3 YEAR CONTRACT - A YEAR BEFORE HIS CONTRACT WAS UP last August.
He would have to be bought out for 3 YEARS.
But a new BOE could control him - and keep him in-check and over rule his poor judgement!
Vote Yes

Cincinnati, OH

#4190 Apr 7, 2009
Well its time for me to leave (Horray!!)

But before I do - Let me leave you with this: And I say this calmly without an attitude.

I have read many posts (not all 4132) and if this forum represents the majority of Springboro - then so be it, thats the way the cookie crumbles.

While you rally around NO MORE TAXES - our children have to walk into these schools every day and suffer the consequences. NOT US.

Your not punishing Baker or the BOE, your not really saving that much money - a no vote is simply putting our kids in harms way.(academically)

I have proposed corporate sponsorship - but then people say that gives to much power to the corporations.

The football field was paid for by MVH, lets get another company to pay for books, and another for sports equipment etc etc.

But I'm not reading about alternatives, I'm simply reading NO again and again - "VOTE NO"

Take buying a car for example - Seems like you would save a ton of money by not owning a car, but then youre left to ride your bike to work everyday right? Rain, Snow freezing cold temps, thats the cost of not owning a car. It not always about money.

The true cost of a NO vote is going to cause major disstractions for our children. At the end of the day what price are THEY going to pay?

It cant be just about dollar and cents, and if it is - who's going to pay for it?

P.S. I will not be responding to any replies. Unless of course someone writes something so provocative I just cant resist.:-)
Taxed Off

Lebanon, OH

#4191 Apr 7, 2009
We need a new BOE who will set the agenda, not blindly follow the Superintendent and Treasurer. The BOE needs to have the balls to stand up for what is right and what the constituents want, and the Super and Treasurer need to do what the Board tells them to do.
Sara

Girard, OH

#4192 Apr 7, 2009
According to the info released by the schools they are using Google maps to determine th 2 mile radius. Using their system I have now discovered I am 2.4 miles from one of my kid's schools and 2.5 miles from the other. I guess we can ride, if we desire.

I am still voting NO for the fourth time.

http://www.tcnewsnet.com/main.asp...
Bernie

Amelia, OH

#4193 Apr 7, 2009
Go here for data
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/springboro-oh...

Go here for NEW IDEAS. Read past your nose sparky!
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/springboro-oh...
Bernie

Amelia, OH

#4194 Apr 7, 2009
Careflight field again!!!! That is one thing we did not need. Why could not MVH donated a new wing to the Jr. High. Instead we have this crap of a building taking up space that could have been used for additions in the future. That's why the first high school planned failed. They had it built for too far in the future. They finnaly got it passed when they added in functions that would let them add in the future when needed with lesser expense. THEY PLANNED!!

I have been here for plenty of levies and still am in touch with kids that had a classroom ON A STAGE!!! MY OWN INCLUDED! They are prospering quite well.

Why is it everyone wants to privatize a public school? ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES... quit running around like chicken little.

Baker must really scare you. Did you poop in your pants when you said he is going to punish us? If the Government can break the UAW contract I bet we can break his and not cost a dime.

Since: Aug 08

Loveland, OH

#4195 Apr 7, 2009
It cant be just about dollar and cents, and if it is - who's going to pay for it?

It stopped being about dollars and cents a long time ago. Now for me it is a matter of standards and principles.

Since: May 08

Bidwell, OH

#4196 Apr 7, 2009
Vote Yes wrote:
Youre right! But Baker isnt going to suffer, we are.
Be careful what you wish for!!!
Vote NO, and you empower Baker. He will punish the community. Its going to get ungly!
<quoted text>
Vote yes, now, YOU are getting SCARY! You and I live in Springboro, NOT Jonesboro! And our school board members are locally elected servants of "we the people." Our school superintendent, David Baker, and our Springboro School teachers, are hired by the local taxpayers to provide the educational services that local taxpayers, parents included, agree to pay for. David Baker has stated recently in a local newspaper that 40% of the people will always vote yes, 40% will always vote no, and the task of the pro levy voters is to actively engage the undecided 20% to join their 40% neighbors for increased taxes and, thereby, force the 40% No voters to financially support the pro levy agenda. There is nothing conspiring or scary about our Springboro Schools Levy Campaigns, nor our school district leaders. It is just manipulative strategy that our district leaders have opportunity to learn by attending training sessions, such as those provided by the taxpayers funded Ohio State Boards Association. And, these scare tactics of "making us suffer" if we don't allow ourselves to be folded into David Baker's agenda seems to work best on undecided parents with children enrolled in our schools. So, we parents need to relax in the security of knowing that we do not live in an "educational compound" and David Baker is not the "big daddy cult leader" that we all must submit to so that he will not "punish us and our little children and then turn our lovely 'Boro community into something ugly!" Stand up to your fears and vote smart for our schools and our future. Know when to say No on May 5.
not a baker fan

Dayton, OH

#4197 Apr 7, 2009
Vote Yes wrote:
Well its time for me to leave (Horray!!)
But before I do - Let me leave you with this: And I say this calmly without an attitude.
I have read many posts (not all 4132) and if this forum represents the majority of Springboro - then so be it, thats the way the cookie crumbles.
While you rally around NO MORE TAXES - our children have to walk into these schools every day and suffer the consequences. NOT US.
Your not punishing Baker or the BOE, your not really saving that much money - a no vote is simply putting our kids in harms way.(academically)
I have proposed corporate sponsorship - but then people say that gives to much power to the corporations.
The football field was paid for by MVH, lets get another company to pay for books, and another for sports equipment etc etc.
But I'm not reading about alternatives, I'm simply reading NO again and again - "VOTE NO"
Take buying a car for example - Seems like you would save a ton of money by not owning a car, but then youre left to ride your bike to work everyday right? Rain, Snow freezing cold temps, thats the cost of not owning a car. It not always about money.
The true cost of a NO vote is going to cause major disstractions for our children. At the end of the day what price are THEY going to pay?
P.S. I will not be responding to any replies. Unless of course someone writes something so provocative I just cant resist.:-)
"weed out those that can't afford to live in Springboro"

seems to me you're a bit late in claiming not to have an attitude.
Boroman54

Eaton, OH

#4198 Apr 7, 2009
Bernie wrote:
Noel and I did some volunteer work together,He had alot of "lost" Construction techniques.
Oh...by the way the picnic shelters at North Park and Clearcreek elementary and a small sidewalk bridge on 73 were built by the "riff raff" Lions Club. The "riff raff" Jay Cees(future business leaders) did alot of volunteer work also. Ask Jeff Kirby. Thanks to Ed Wade the "riff raff" 4H club is doing well.
Noel was big on volenteer work and a smile - My guess was his big family and hard farm work - even as township Trustee he rode the snow blade (its april and snowing again) My dad and Noel were both in the lions club (boy did I make alot of pancakes) Ralph wade and Don Cottrell were big in 4h - Wade insurance alway go's after the 4h cattle winner(even now) ole Boro people tried to work together not get things on someone else's dime. Mr. Chenault and volenteer fire always helped out. Now the majority just says give me give me give me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Smoking-violation fines go unpaid (May '11) 3 hr The Captian 55
Springboro Fish Market Coming Soon!!!! 5 hr Mindylynn 6
News Ohio microwave-baby mom to be sentenced (Sep '08) 8 hr Juliannetyreece 8
Leon and his perverted rants 9 hr Fan of Leon The Man 2
"Is it racist hate to question the Welfare State?" 9 hr Fan of Leon The Man 3
Beairshelle Edme' has the lips, but McCall Vryr... 13 hr Fan of Leon The Man 13
Anyone know John Vlahos? 19 hr Tess1989 1
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web