Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
30,281 - 30,300 of 31,139 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
Super Sweet Surrender

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30845
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

3

So true wrote:
<quoted text>
You are seriously so full of shit. You just like to hear yourself talk. Get a life, would ya. Springboro doesn't give a shit about you or your money.
Education is all about Money and Power and Who has Control of Both; and that's the Stinking Policy of the MSA majority/SEA union masters who have now enslaved our children first best interests to the stinking policy of forced unionism Rules.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30846
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

6

6

6

So true wrote:
<quoted text>
You are seriously so full of shit. You just like to hear yourself talk. Get a life, would ya. Springboro doesn't give a shit about you or your money.
I raise serious issues, real concerns, actual points of contention in the debate and this is the best you can come up with on the subjects.

Way to advance the discourse.

Why do you not address the points I raised and tell us why you think these are bad ideas?

1) Balanced budgets with surpluses
2) Renewal levy that reduced our taxes,
3) Reduced pay to participate fee
4) Reduced school fees
5) Restored busing
6) Restored building maintenance program that maintains our property
7) Money and resources finally directed towards our gifted and early intervention programs in elementary schools
8) Added an ACT class
9) Placed true emphasis on early college credit programs through the high school
10) Balancing our class sizes
11) Strengthening our curriculum
12) Upgrading our technology plan with 1100 new computers
13) Laptops to every teacher
14) Wireless plan in every building that ties it all together.
15) And of course I forgot the last board's Budget and Finance Committee led by David Petroni and Jim Rigano that finally brought to light the long term looting of the Boosters that was allowed to fester under the watchful eye of Mr. Malone and Mr Holtrey.

I may be full of scatological reserves, but facts remain facts.
Super Enough

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30847
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Great job Molly!! Springboro won with those votes in November!! MSA has my support!!!
Super Enough MSA Role modeling for S-U-R-E teaching our Students First to Bully others.
Grow up Molly! and apologize to those who were offended by your invasion of our students privacy. Even if it was legal enough, there simply is now way to do wrong, not even way down low in the Boro.
Super Enough

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30848
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

2

teaching R kids 2 cheat wrote:
According to a district document, Springboro high school health teacher Molly Wray used contact information improperly obtained from old parent permission slips to send a mass email to Springboro High School graduates last August, encouraging them to vote in the upcoming school board election. She also encouraged the graduates to access her Facebook page, where she posted endorsements for three candidates opposing the conservative candidates.
Springboro Treasurer Terrah Floyd acknowledges that the student information Wray used to send her email was protected under Ohio state law and the federal government’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). In other words, Wray illegally copied email addresses from confidential district records.
Despite the improper use of protected information for personal and political reasons, the only disciplinary action Springboro school leaders apparently took against Wray was to place a “letter of understanding” in her personnel file that gently reminds the veteran educator to maintain a “professional” relationship with former students.
Wray’s email to students last August mentioned three separate reasons for writing. The first two involved school and alumni news. The third item – which accounted for 50 percent of the email – dealt with a district levy renewal vote and the hotly contested Nov. 5 school board races.
“It is VERY important to vote on November 5th if you are still a Springboro resident,” Wray wrote, according to a copy of the email provided to EAGnews.“YOUR VOTE COUNTS and just may be the difference maker on November 5th.”
The veteran educator then provided graduates with step-by-step instructions for when, where and how they could register to vote in the election. She also encouraged readers to “share this with your Springboro contacts so that (they) see it, use it, and share it too! THANKS!!!”
While Wray stopped short of endorsing any candidates in the August email, she did encourage former students to look her up on Facebook, where she posted two items on the day before the election formally endorsing the three candidates who went on to win their races.
After the results were announced on election night, Wray posted a “thank you” to Springboro voters for electing the three candidates and passing the levy renewal.
District leaders placed a “letter of understanding” in Wray’s personnel file late last month that very gently reminded the veteran educator that district employees are encouraged “to maintain professional relationships with prior students” and “to ensure that the individuals contacted have given permission for you to contact them.”
District officials apparently view the email as a harmless reminder containing a class reunion announcement and a nonpartisan reminder to vote in the November election. They obviously saw no harm or foul when she encouraged the potential voters to refer to her Facebook site for more details – or recommendations.
Come listen to the story of teacher Molly Wray
Who met her students at the door with a smile every day!
Till when one day, the students’ names lost their faces;
‘Cause Molly Wray was secure in high political places,
She collectively gathered her students’ records of ID;
Insanely supporting the political campaign of MSA!

Go Molly! Go Molly! MSA All The Way!
Enough

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30849
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

7

6

5

Super Enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Come listen to the story of teacher Molly Wray
Who met her students at the door with a smile every day!
Till when one day, the students’ names lost their faces;
‘Cause Molly Wray was secure in high political places,
She collectively gathered her students’ records of ID;
Insanely supporting the political campaign of MSA!
Go Molly! Go Molly! MSA All The Way!
Ha ha! You are funny! Like it or not MSAIs the majority now! Don't get me started on all the insane actions of the previous board!!!
Encore

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30850
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha! You are funny! Like it or not MSAIs the majority now! Don't get me started on all the insane actions of the previous board!!!
Go Molly! Go Molly!

Living in the Boro and insanely loving me some majority MSA!

Go Molly! Go Molly!
Super Enough

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30851
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha! You are funny! Like it or not MSAIs the majority now! Don't get me started on all the insane actions of the previous board!!!
Aw, come on now!

We all know way down low here in the Boro how this MSA politics of personal destruction works in the board room!

Why NOT get started on all the MSA perceived insane actions of the previous board; and then if you run out of time here on this community wide Topix blog, then you can email
the politics of personal destruction against the board member of your choice; and the
Springboro Board of Education President, Charles Anderson, can read it for you in front of the cameras for TV broadcast; all in the name of "from MSA with love."
Celebrate Our Success

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30852
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

5

5

5

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I raise serious issues, real concerns, actual points of contention in the debate and this is the best you can come up with on the subjects.
Way to advance the discourse.
Why do you not address the points I raised and tell us why you think these are bad ideas?
1) Balanced budgets with surpluses
2) Renewal levy that reduced our taxes,
3) Reduced pay to participate fee
4) Reduced school fees
5) Restored busing
6) Restored building maintenance program that maintains our property
7) Money and resources finally directed towards our gifted and early intervention programs in elementary schools
8) Added an ACT class
9) Placed true emphasis on early college credit programs through the high school
10) Balancing our class sizes
11) Strengthening our curriculum
12) Upgrading our technology plan with 1100 new computers
13) Laptops to every teacher
14) Wireless plan in every building that ties it all together.
15) And of course I forgot the last board's Budget and Finance Committee led by David Petroni and Jim Rigano that finally brought to light the long term looting of the Boosters that was allowed to fester under the watchful eye of Mr. Malone and Mr Holtrey.
I may be full of scatological reserves, but facts remain facts.
Bravo! Bravo!

These facts are enough to get me started In Appreciation of our previous board's fiscal integrity in the direction of financial sustainability through the year 2017; giving back to Springboro families a slight reduction in renewal levy; while celebrating in appreciation more money for every school employee!

Applause! Applause!
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30853
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

8

7

7

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I raise serious issues, real concerns, actual points of contention in the debate and this is the best you can come up with on the subjects.
Way to advance the discourse.
Why do you not address the points I raised and tell us why you think these are bad ideas?
1) Balanced budgets with surpluses
2) Renewal levy that reduced our taxes,
3) Reduced pay to participate fee
4) Reduced school fees
5) Restored busing
6) Restored building maintenance program that maintains our property
7) Money and resources finally directed towards our gifted and early intervention programs in elementary schools
8) Added an ACT class
9) Placed true emphasis on early college credit programs through the high school
10) Balancing our class sizes
11) Strengthening our curriculum
12) Upgrading our technology plan with 1100 new computers
13) Laptops to every teacher
14) Wireless plan in every building that ties it all together.
15) And of course I forgot the last board's Budget and Finance Committee led by David Petroni and Jim Rigano that finally brought to light the long term looting of the Boosters that was allowed to fester under the watchful eye of Mr. Malone and Mr Holtrey.
I may be full of scatological reserves, but facts remain facts.
My apologies, I forgot a couple

16) Raises for the first time in 5 years for all classified employees (my thanks to Ms. Bellar)
17) Raises to base pay and step increases for our staff

You can thank the previous board for all of those accomplishments, including the teacher's raises.
Thanks Indeed

Maineville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30854
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

9

9

8

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
My apologies, I forgot a couple
16) Raises for the first time in 5 years for all classified employees (my thanks to Ms. Bellar)
17) Raises to base pay and step increases for our staff
You can thank the previous board for all of those accomplishments, including the teacher's raises.
You also forgot
18) Choosing Todd Petrey as our new superintendent
19) Keeping Dr. Malone on staff as Principal through the 2013 school year.
And most importantly...
20) Helping awake a community that saw over 5,000 voters throw their support behind and elect Mr. Anderson, Dr. Malone & Mr. Stukey to the board!
Yes, thanks previous board, thanks indeed.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30855
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

7

7

6

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
We certainly could tolerate no more balanced budgets with surpluses, any more levies that reduce our taxes, reduced pay to participate fees, reduced school fees, restored busing, building maintenance that maintains our property, money and resources finally directed towards our gifted and early intervention programs in elementary schools, adding an ACT class, a true emphasis on early college credit programs through the high school, balancing our class sizes, and strengthening our curriculum, while upgrading our technology plan with 1100 new computers, laptops to every teacher, and a wireless plan in every building that ties it all together.
You are right, what could we possibly have been thinking to allow the previous board to do all of those things?
Don't know Doug, but I know there are over 5,000 voters you can ask. Wait, you tried that with signs before the election to no avail.

In a capitalist system the more experienced, better professionals should get more money. Those who are more qualified are told to go after as much money as the market will bear. Why else would they be behind the CEO's of corporations making millions?

By that logic in order to get the best teachers you would have to PAY MORE in order to get ones that would take our kids back into "proficiency".

I still can't understand why the Tea Party is for CEO's of companies banking millions but at the same time they are against the teachers making as much money as they can.

I guess when you believe in capitalism it's a pick and choose game.
Encore

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30856
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Thanks Indeed wrote:
<quoted text>
You also forgot
18) Choosing Todd Petrey as our new superintendent
19) Keeping Dr. Malone on staff as Principal through the 2013 school year.
And most importantly...
20) Helping awake a community that saw over 5,000 voters throw their support behind and elect Mr. Anderson, Dr. Malone & Mr. Stukey to the board!
Yes, thanks previous board, thanks indeed.
Don't forget MollyGate!

Come listen to the story of teacher Molly Wray
Who met her students at the door with a smile every day!
Till when one day, the students’ names lost their faces;
‘Cause Molly Wray was secure in high political places,
She collectively gathered her students’ records of ID;
Insanely supporting the political campaign of MSA!

Go Molly! Go Molly!
Encore

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30857
Mar 2, 2014
 

Judged:

3

2

2

teaching R kids 2 cheat wrote:
According to a district document, Springboro high school health teacher Molly Wray used contact information improperly obtained from old parent permission slips to send a mass email to Springboro High School graduates last August, encouraging them to vote in the upcoming school board election. She also encouraged the graduates to access her Facebook page, where she posted endorsements for three candidates opposing the conservative candidates.
Springboro Treasurer Terrah Floyd acknowledges that the student information Wray used to send her email was protected under Ohio state law and the federal government’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). In other words, Wray illegally copied email addresses from confidential district records.
Despite the improper use of protected information for personal and political reasons, the only disciplinary action Springboro school leaders apparently took against Wray was to place a “letter of understanding” in her personnel file that gently reminds the veteran educator to maintain a “professional” relationship with former students.
Wray’s email to students last August mentioned three separate reasons for writing. The first two involved school and alumni news. The third item – which accounted for 50 percent of the email – dealt with a district levy renewal vote and the hotly contested Nov. 5 school board races.
“It is VERY important to vote on November 5th if you are still a Springboro resident,” Wray wrote, according to a copy of the email provided to EAGnews.“YOUR VOTE COUNTS and just may be the difference maker on November 5th.”
The veteran educator then provided graduates with step-by-step instructions for when, where and how they could register to vote in the election. She also encouraged readers to “share this with your Springboro contacts so that (they) see it, use it, and share it too! THANKS!!!”
While Wray stopped short of endorsing any candidates in the August email, she did encourage former students to look her up on Facebook, where she posted two items on the day before the election formally endorsing the three candidates who went on to win their races.
After the results were announced on election night, Wray posted a “thank you” to Springboro voters for electing the three candidates and passing the levy renewal.
District leaders placed a “letter of understanding” in Wray’s personnel file late last month that very gently reminded the veteran educator that district employees are encouraged “to maintain professional relationships with prior students” and “to ensure that the individuals contacted have given permission for you to contact them.”
District officials apparently view the email as a harmless reminder containing a class reunion announcement and a nonpartisan reminder to vote in the November election. They obviously saw no harm or foul when she encouraged the potential voters to refer to her Facebook site for more details – or recommendations.
Go Molly! Go Molly!
just loving some non partisan MSA majority living way down low in the boro!
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30858
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Thanks Indeed wrote:
<quoted text>
You also forgot
18) Choosing Todd Petrey as our new superintendent

Yes, thanks previous board, thanks indeed.
You are correct, replacing Mr. Lolli with Mr. Petrey was a step forward.

19) Tammy Strittenberger and Lee Vincent and Jeff Madden in the central office as opposed to
Sandra Warner and George Long.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30859
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

4

The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>

In a capitalist system the more experienced, better professionals should get more money. Those who are more qualified are told to go after as much money as the market will bear. Why else would they be behind the CEO's of corporations making millions?
By that logic in order to get the best teachers you would have to PAY MORE in order to get ones that would take our kids back into "proficiency".
I still can't understand why the Tea Party is for CEO's of companies banking millions but at the same time they are against the teachers making as much money as they can.
I guess when you believe in capitalism it's a pick and choose game.
Where to start, CEO's who make MILLIONS as heads of companies that make BILLIONS are chosen and compensated by the people whose money he/she is managing. The shareholders choice is one of free will, not government enforcement.

The BEST teachers should by all means be paid more than mediocre of bad teachers, on that we categorically agree.

The union, however, does not allow such heresy in terms of compensation. In the union's eyes all teachers are equal and do equal amounts of work and all deserve the same pay.

Allocating resources to benefit the greatest number of children possible would most likely precluded such compensation mysteries as to why we have $80,000 grade school PE teachers working 185 days per year and $45,000 A/P Calculus teachers working the same amount

Why does society pay a heart surgeon more than a retail manager at Tire America? Supply and demand.

Your second point is if we did hire the BEST teachers to get back to PROFICIENCY (which as we all know is failing by any reasonable measure), who would you fire in this district to make room for the BEST?

I am all for people rising to the greatest heights they strive for in this lifetime. The issue is by your overly simplistic definition could be applied to the same analogy as why don't we pay grocery store baggers as much as teachers?

Some of them as you well know also possess college diplomas.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30861
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, replacing Mr. Lolli with Mr. Petrey was a step forward.
19) Tammy Strittenberger and Lee Vincent and Jeff Madden in the central office as opposed to
Sandra Warner and George Long.
20) Lest we forget, Terrah Floyd in treasurer office rather than the oft befuddled and cackling Tracey Jarvis.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30862
Mar 3, 2014
 
21) Kyle Martin as principal at Springboro Intermediate

22) Jeff Blakely as principal at the Junior High

23) Tina Daniels as principal at the High School

Let's see what our scores look like in three years.

The past board reset the entire landscape with new, fresh, and energetic individuals in nearly every leadership position in the district.
hiding behind the cross

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30863
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Encore wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget MollyGate!
Come listen to the story of teacher Molly Wray
Who met her students at the door with a smile every day!
Till when one day, the students’ names lost their faces;
‘Cause Molly Wray was secure in high political places,
She collectively gathered her students’ records of ID;
Insanely supporting the political campaign of MSA!
Go Molly! Go Molly!
The illegal and unethical actions of Molly Wray before last fall's election epitomize what the MSA campaign was all about starting from day number one of their collective campaign.....
perpetuating a long history of union-influenced misuse-of-power in the core of this district's administration as well as with many of its teachers.

Molly Wray response:

"This is full of inaccuracies and is very biased, poor reporting. It's sad that the facts are slanted in order to create a story that will support your website's cause. Because I am a woman of faith, I trust the apostle Paul's words that reassure me that...'all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose'. I trust you believe the same and will pray that in everything you post in the future you will consider whether it is in the service of God. If you, in good faith and strong conviction of the truth, trust that what you report is accurate and truthful, not self-serving, then I am in full support of you as a brother. As for now, I feel like a brother and sister in Christ have turned on me for their own gain, not Christ's."
___

"The Devil lurks behind the cross."

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
1547-1616

___

Whether or not Ms. Wray was given punishment by Lee Vincent and Todd Petrey is immaterial, and does not dilute the fact that Wray broke FERPA federal privacy law.
Early last fall, months before the election, Wray illegally used old district permission slips in order to access names and emails of recent Springboro alumni, only to then steer them toward Wray's personal website, where the campaign of Malone Stuckey and Anderson was promoted heavily.
Wow Wow Wow

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30864
Mar 3, 2014
 

Judged:

1

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
20) Lest we forget, Terrah Floyd in treasurer office rather than the oft befuddled and cackling Tracey Jarvis.
I thought the old board hired Tracey Jarvis?

Also, where did Educate Springboro get all of their email address? Some how I signed up for the principal update and Educate Springboro started sending me their emails as well?

Doug, will you please answer these two questions?
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30865
Mar 3, 2014
 
Wow Wow Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the old board hired Tracey Jarvis?
Also, where did Educate Springboro get all of their email address? Some how I signed up for the principal update and Educate Springboro started sending me their emails as well?
Doug, will you please answer these two questions?
Negative on the only one question you asked.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Springboro Discussions

Search the Springboro Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! 38 min Molly G 13
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 53 min xxxrayted 29,406
Middletown Gangs (Apr '13) 1 hr thetallcoolone 22
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 1 hr Ant 2,222
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Abdullah OBrian 18,591
Mayor Whaley: Immigrant children a humanitarian... 21 hr Leon Repeat Offender 4
Kettering manufacturer wins $280K on aircraft p... Tue Defense Nut 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••