Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
30,201 - 30,220 of 31,176 Comments Last updated Monday Aug 18
Hold the Donuts

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
This is what the state auditor's investigator came away with after interviewing Mr. Wilhite.
According to the State of Ohio Auditor's report Mr. Wilhite "believes" it took three years before he began cutting out the Football Moms Club and the Boosters from the summer camp revenue stream because Mr. Holtrey "requested" him to do so.
Conveniently this money now found its way into a private account that only Mr. Wilhite controlled with no oversight from anyone except Mr. Wilhite.
And without the interference of those Football Moms and Boosters, 100% of the money was now his.
State Auditor Report
Springboro Community City School District
December 12, 2013
2. Springboro Football Camp
A bank account was maintained by Ryan Wilhite, the Springboro High School head football coach who operated the summer football camp. Mr. Wilhite indicated that he had been operating a camp for approximately 7 years. He believes he opened the account in 2009 per the request of the former ATHLETIC DIRECTOR (Mr. Holtrey).
Prior to operating his own bank account, the camp’s financial activity was accounted for through an organization known as the ‘Springboro Football Moms Club’ and the Springboro Boosters.
During our interview, Mr. Wilhite stated that some of the checks that were written to him were used to pay for other High School team related expenses, pay camp workers in cash or reimburse him for other expenses made out of personal funds. He also indicated that after he had paid for all of the expenses (camp workers, t-shirts) related to the camp, he considered any funds remaining to be his stipend.
Stay Focused on the failures of past practices of those coaches whose name is showing up in the audit; Those who care about the future of our school children and community will not be distracted from holding these wrong-doers accountable, iby those proud ones among us who love to bask in the spotlight of glory and praise.

Stay Focused on the failures of past practices of those coaches whose name is showing up in the audit. Those who care about the future of our school children and community will not be distracted from holding these wrong-doers accountable, by those proud ones among us who love to bask in the spotlight of glory and praise.
Say It Again

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

Show me the money wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time you see those other coaches, ask to see their records before shaking their hands. The amount of money turned into the school for camps and other fees was extremely small prior to 2012. Lack of evidence is not the same thing as innocence. The report stated that they looked into the camps that had flyers on the Springboro Website. They did not say that they looked into ALL CAMPS and ALL FUNDRAISERS. The other sports coaches may have done nothing wrong, or may not have been caught.
With the close knit relationship of all coaches and the union masters' circling of wagons,
which is a proven fact in this school district, can it possibly be that "those other coaches" may have done nothing wrong; but proudly looked the other way in loyalty to the brotherhood union who were engaged in wrong-doing?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

For Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Your knowledge and expertise on many subjects are proven by your comments on this topix blog; but do you think it shows your good judgment of a school employee for you to say what YOU are sure that she does not mean?
As a professional educator and an influential role model inside our schools, it is expected that She say to the WDTN TV news exactly what she means to communicate, as SHS principal, to the outside community of Springboro taxpayers/voters.
I just quoted what it sounded like to me, to a person who never read any of George Orwell's material the allusions I made would have fallen on deaf ears. How Ms Daniel's sounded to others is for them to decide.
parent

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

Show me the money wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time you see those other coaches, ask to see their records before shaking their hands. The amount of money turned into the school for camps and other fees was extremely small prior to 2012. Lack of evidence is not the same thing as innocence. The report stated that they looked into the camps that had flyers on the Springboro Website. They did not say that they looked into ALL CAMPS and ALL FUNDRAISERS. The other sports coaches may have done nothing wrong, or may not have been caught.
After an exhausting amount of research time, Yost's office found "conditions" in 5 Springboro sports programs: football, baseball, girl's volleyball, and both boy's and girls basketball.

There were no other sports programs listed in Yost's report.

Re: your comment "Lack of evidence is not the same as innocence"
If you sincerely believe in this philosophy, perhaps it's time you pack up and move to Beijing.
stipend My arse

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
Good link to the State Auditor Report
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/docum...
It's unbelievable that some of the individuals listed on the report are still working as teachers in Springboro schools.
No!......Wait! It's not so unbelievable after all. The SEA protects their own, regardless of whether "their own" is found to be honest or dishonest person, or found to be an excellent or subpar educator.

The money in question was stolen from families of student athletes. Obviously not all of it has been repaid.

Each Springboro high school student should have fair opportunity to read this report so that they may realize it's long term significance to their sports programs, this district and the entire community.

Multiple copies of the auditor's report should be clearly posted, behind glass, with each page shown, in each and every hallway at Springboro High School aa well as Springboro Jr High.
Parents Two

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

parent wrote:
<quoted text>
After an exhausting amount of research time, Yost's office found "conditions" in 5 Springboro sports programs: football, baseball, girl's volleyball, and both boy's and girls basketball.
There were no other sports programs listed in Yost's report.
Re: your comment "Lack of evidence is not the same as innocence"
If you sincerely believe in this philosophy, perhaps it's time you pack up and move to Beijing.
Or, better still, perhaps it's time for these coaches to pack up their sports bags and move on
out of Springboro, you know, just doing it "for the kids."
Do u know the Chief

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

All Springboro residents need to read this short article. Chief Kruitoff needs to go!! Please people we deserve so much better than this clown.
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/03/23/l...
Just Imagine

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a proud parent of a Boro high school student who's in varsity in a sport not named in the auditor's report. There's been a lot posted here about past deceptive acts of certain Boro coaches. While most of us has read State Auditor Yost's Dec 12th report and know about Harves' jail time, something we should keep in mind is there are other coaches in this district who are genuinely honest people. Not only are they honest, they're SMART enough to understand why managing summer camp fees / concessions via use of personal banking accounts isn't such a great idea ethically.
Of course no one's ever perfect; and temptation to steal is everpresent and virtually everywhere. There are plenty of current Springboro coaches who served from 2011-2012 that didn't show up on the state auditor's report. Next time you see one of them, go out of your way to give them a smile and shake their hand.
Just imagine an individual who, let's say works in a bank, and is caught stealing money.

Would it be reasoned that no one's ever perfect, and temptation to steal is everpresent and virtually everywhere?

Would customers be told - there are plenty of current employees who have worked in the bank from 2011-2012 that did not steal; and that they should go out of their way to give them a smile and shake their hand?
we were fooled again

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

Do u know the Chief wrote:
All Springboro residents need to read this short article. Chief Kruitoff needs to go!! Please people we deserve so much better than this clown.
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/03/23/l...
Here in the Boro, an ability to manipulate information & consistently be intransparent to the community appear to be hiring prerequisites for prospective public employees.
poundsand

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

Judged:

The cronyism in this school district is disgusting.

This town needs an enema.
Curious

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

Judged:

As a parent, I have put my children through several camps at SHS in preparation for their sport(s). In the past, my kids would bring home a flyer or I would see a flyer online that gives the details about the camp (cost, times, place, etc.). I don't remember ever seeing where the money will go - I had always expected that it paid for the equipment, t-shirts and the coaches.
I guess I am confused by all of the complaints on here about "stipends" that these coaches received. No where that I can recall did I ever see written or verbally expressed that these coaches were strictly volunteering their time. As for the cost of the camp, as a parent, I look at what I pay and what my child is getting in return. If it is too high then I question it or don't send my child.
Now I know the policy has changed (or was created new) regarding these camps and the district is now getting some percentage which makes sense to cover usage of courts/fields/etc. Was there a policy before?

Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

Judged:

parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a proud parent of a Boro high school student who's in varsity in a sport not named in the auditor's report. There's been a lot posted here about past deceptive acts of certain Boro coaches. While most of us has read State Auditor Yost's Dec 12th report and know about Harves' jail time, something we should keep in mind is there are other coaches in this district who are genuinely honest people. Not only are they honest, they're SMART enough to understand why managing summer camp fees / concessions via use of personal banking accounts isn't such a great idea ethically.
Of course no one's ever perfect; and temptation to steal is everpresent and virtually everywhere. There are plenty of current Springboro coaches who served from 2011-2012 that didn't show up on the state auditor's report. Next time you see one of them, go out of your way to give them a smile and shake their hand.
There are many coaches for a variety of sports that our children are participate in each year. I note my daughters's cross country coach Mr. Ron Rohrer, then Mr Jeremy Wysocki were not involved in the diversions of funds from the kids into their pockets.

I also note my daughter's track coach, Mr. Wayne Kemper's name conspicuously absent from the list the State Auditor decided was worthy of a glance. I recall Mr. Kemper going out into the community to solicit funds so that we could again host a major track meet in Springboro. He was successful garnering a major sponsor in the local Eagles lodge and the result is a money making affair each spring at the high school track.

Mr. Chad Adams at the junior high has also built upon what Mr. Kemper began with a major (21 teams last year) track meet for the junior high that returned us over $10,000 on a wonderfully crappy night filled with rain, sleet, wind, plummeting temperatures, and memories that will last a lifetime for the kids who participated.

The point is these men did it to build the program they were involved in with our kids. They did not do this to line their pockets, even though it was above and beyond their normal duties. For that I wish to applaud these gentlemen and all those who gave unselfishly of their time and effort to make good things happen for our kids.
August 2012

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

we were fooled again wrote:
<quoted text>
Here in the Boro, an ability to manipulate information & consistently be intransparent to the community appear to be hiring prerequisites for prospective public employees.
And the People Said Amen.
Agree

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

Judged:

Curious wrote:
As a parent, I have put my children through several camps at SHS in preparation for their sport(s). In the past, my kids would bring home a flyer or I would see a flyer online that gives the details about the camp (cost, times, place, etc.). I don't remember ever seeing where the money will go - I had always expected that it paid for the equipment, t-shirts and the coaches.
I guess I am confused by all of the complaints on here about "stipends" that these coaches received. No where that I can recall did I ever see written or verbally expressed that these coaches were strictly volunteering their time. As for the cost of the camp, as a parent, I look at what I pay and what my child is getting in return. If it is too high then I question it or don't send my child.
Now I know the policy has changed (or was created new) regarding these camps and the district is now getting some percentage which makes sense to cover usage of courts/fields/etc. Was there a policy before?
Totally agree with this post. When I sign my child up for a camp, I never believe the coaches aren't getting paid, a stipend, whatever you want to call it.

I too, look at the camp, the price, the coach(es)- determine if I believe the benefit is worth the price - and sign up or don't sign up based on that.

Don't ever expect the coaches to volunteer to do it. If they do volunteer, great - if not I will not be upset that they are compensated. They obviously have an expertise that I don't possess...or I would be running the camp at my house for my child.
Show me the money

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

Judged:

Agree wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally agree with this post. When I sign my child up for a camp, I never believe the coaches aren't getting paid, a stipend, whatever you want to call it.
I too, look at the camp, the price, the coach(es)- determine if I believe the benefit is worth the price - and sign up or don't sign up based on that.
Don't ever expect the coaches to volunteer to do it. If they do volunteer, great - if not I will not be upset that they are compensated. They obviously have an expertise that I don't possess...or I would be running the camp at my house for my child.
There were rules in place, important rules that were ignored for years. Rules that said that use of facilities that were not by a school organization had to pay fees, for instance, for lights on the football field, for janitorial service, for building use. None of the Coaches holding camps that were not a part of their required coaching duties paid for any of the fees to the school. They were also supposed to have their own insurance. What if your child was injured? Not only was there no liability insurance, but there was no medical personnel at these camps. The coaches could make money, but they had to follow the rules. Instead, they used all the school facilities, year round, as if they owned them, collected the money, did not pay for the use of buildings, equipment, facilities, electricity, insurance or medical personnel.
If you ran a camp at your house, would your homeowners insurance cover you for damages, theft, injuries or death? If you did it right, paid for proper equipment, staff, facilities, would you be able to make as much as if you didn't pay for those things, and used your neighbors yard and house and equipment?
Essentially, the coaches were using facilities that were not their own, to hold camps or other activities that were not school sponsored events, without following the rules.
Your logic is why the Boosters Treasurer stole for probably 20 years, because people like you don't want to get involved or question the "authority" of the long-time administration, like the Athletic Director, Principal or Coaches. I understand, you probably think that if you start asking questions, your kid will not get to play. Unfortunately, you are right. Question them, and your kid will not play.
response

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

Judged:

Curious wrote:
I guess I am confused by all of the complaints on here about "stipends" that these coaches received. No where that I can recall did I ever see written or verbally expressed that these coaches were strictly volunteering their time.
According to the State auditor's report..."Mr. Holtrey indicated that after he had paid for all of the expenses (camp workers, t-shirts, basketballs, etc) related to the camp, he CONSIDERED any funds remaining from the fees he collected to be his stipend."

According to the State auditors' report..."Mr. Wilhite stated that some of the checks that were written to him were used to pay for other High School team expenses, pay camp workers in cash or reimburse (Wilhite) for other expenses made out of personal funds.(Wilhite) also indicated that after he had paid for all of the expenses (camp workers, t-shirts) related to the camp, he CONSIDERED any funds remaining to be his stipend."

According to the State auditors' report..."Mr. Benjamin...collected camp fees for a summer girls basketball camp he operated. After he had paid for all of the expenses (camp workers, t-shirts, basketballs) related to the camp, he CONSIDERED any funds remaining from the fees he collected to be his stipend."

According to the State auditors' report..."Upon review of the outside bank account, it appeared as if Mr, Pelfrey paid himself a stipend with the fees collected for the camp after he had paid for all the camp related expenses (insurance, camp workers, t-shirts)..."

According to the State auditor's report..."A bank account was maintained by Kevin Sedensky, girls high school volleyball coach who operated a summer camp. Per a memo Coach Sedensky wrote to the District dated Aug 7,2012, April 2011, the District's A.D. directed him to open a summer camp account in his name."

In any organization that lacks leadership and discipline, established policies and procedures tend to decay and/or become habitually abused. An individual's perception of themselves potentially getting caught doing something illegal tends to be lowered right along with decay of leadership. Let's look at the possibilities. It's possible that at X point in time, there was a higher level of discipline and respect in general toward the A.D's office. It's possible that during this period of higher discipline and respect, each coach had a much different perspective of what to do with "remaining" summer camp fees. But without sufficent leadership and discipline, established policies and procedures tend to decay and/or become habitually abused.

Attn: Curious
Hypothetical scenario...At your place of employment, do you CONSIDER a proportional piece of your employer's annual profits to be automatically yours for the taking, without asking?
Doesn't it fall within the rhelm of virtually every rule of business ethics for you (and others in your company) to go through correct channels with your employer, rather than to risk potentially being discharged for theft?
Show me the money

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

Judged:

Isn't it funny how the five coaches who initially refused to speak to anyone, including the auditors, and all got the same (Union) lawyer, all said almost exactly the same thing-"Troy Holtrey told me to." I wonder if any of them got that in writing. Or if it happened at all.
Parents Two

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

Judged:

Agree wrote:
<quoted text>
We never believed the coaches are getting paid, a stipend, or whatever you want to call it:
but never would we have ever believed that a "stipend" to these individual sports coaches was what the coaches were calling "my personal bank account" (or my new car, etc.....)

There is just no way that any one reading this post is dumb enough to think that these
coaches were naïve in stealing this money for themselves; the money belonged to the school's athletic program; not to individual coaches to use as their own.

After all, even food servers in restaurants who bring you the bill for your food, are required to properly record the amount of Tips left by the customer; they don't just scoop it up in a brown bag and take to their personal bank account. And neither should sports coaches be allowed to practice such greed.
Not Funny But True

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2014

Judged:

Show me the money wrote:
Isn't it funny how the five coaches who initially refused to speak to anyone, including the auditors, and all got the same (Union) lawyer, all said almost exactly the same thing-"Troy Holtrey told me to." I wonder if any of them got that in writing. Or if it happened at all.
The Union lawyer for the five coaches is elected as board member in Centerville Schools.
A Springboro resident and member of NFSS pro-levy committee is a Centerville School Teacher, who once reminded Springboro private citizens that they were fortunate to have opportunity to speak concerns in public meetings, because most school districts did not allow public participation in public school board meetings.

Stay Alert Voters -- we now have in Springboro an elected Board of Education President who has shut out community members in public participation of our Board Committee Meetings;
allowing the SEA president to take back "their" board. The Board President and the School Superintendent are now working with the two retired educators/newly elected board members, behind the closed doors of our taxpayer-funded school facilities, condensing school district "issues" to fit with re-instating status quo, in opposition to our Children First
Vision of Reform and the progress made during the past two years in Fiscal Integrity and Budget Transparency.
Wierd Findings

Hamilton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2014

Judged:

I have been checking on camps from other schools. Seams all the schools I check for camps is being paid directly to the head coaches. Are all coaches in Ohio just taking the money? Is it only wrong if you coach in Springboro and operate the exact same way other schools operate?
Have you checked to see how the big boys are doing things like Centerville, how do they manage their camps?
Does anyone know if there was a prearranged agreement with the district and the coaches?
Has anyone on this board tried to contact any of our coaches and find out the arrangements for camps?
What if the district promised the coaches the camp money as part of their total compensation package to teach and coach at Springboro. The current coaches are receiving 80% of all camp moneys. Are they stealing from our kids also or is that the current arrangement?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family Law Attorneys 35 min Jerry Boggs 4
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 30,201
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Get a Job 18,754
This is why I am an Ann Fan! 11 hr The Duke of Hazard 4
Whata s behind increase in vacant house fires? 11 hr The Duke of Hazard 1
Concealed carry in Boro's schools - not a matte... (Jul '13) 16 hr Student 4 Conceal... 66
Nonprofit plans major headquarters expansion do... 18 hr The Hack Checker 1

Search the Springboro Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••