Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 32045 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Cyber Bully

Tipp City, OH

#30649 Feb 19, 2014
InAppropriate wrote:
<quoted text>
Commenting on Mr. Wiedeman's children is inappropriate! Do NOT attach any children!
Shame on you! You want to question Mr. Wiedeman great BUT leave the children alone!
You sound like a cyber bully. Seems to happen alot in Springboro.
The More You Know

Tipp City, OH

#30650 Feb 19, 2014
InAppropriate wrote:
<quoted text>
Commenting on Mr. Wiedeman's children is inappropriate! Do NOT attach any children!
Shame on you! You want to question Mr. Wiedeman great BUT leave the children alone!
I wish to offer an apology for the tone and tenor of my last post concerning Doug. Regardless of my frustration surrounding the events of this forum, that does not make it right for me to have come out as strong as I did. To that end, I hope you will consider acceptance of this apology.
reality

Springfield, OH

#30651 Feb 19, 2014
Springboro listen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to ask, did Anderson or Stucky even do any homework on the "partner" they chose to run with? It would be very embarrassing to me to find our that my running mate was derelict in every way possible. Academic dereliction, athletic dereliction, and fiscally derelict. Malone was very disrespectful of Springboro parents, students and citizens telling them that the district was broke, students would suffer if they did not get more money yet, there was no crisis, ever. Although who benefited from possible passage of a levy? Malone, daughter, wife all work in the district. As Malone's Principal slush funds rose to above 6 figures, he cried poor. As he canceled all field trips and stopped ordering books for students his groups went out to dinner, lunch and got new clothes on the taxpayers. As one in four of our graduates did not meet the minimum competencies to get into college he smiled and said hello. Do you dummies get it, you were duped. Students cried for their hero never knowing they were the butt of jokes, losing academically and phony praise would keep them happy. Students of Springboro welcome to indoctrination 101.
You're absolutely correct. Now take what you've posted and continue the logic a step or two. What do indoctrinated students of Springboro schools do best? They tend to pass their Boro indoctrination onto their parents, many of whom have never set foot in a school board meeting. How many parents in this community voted for Malone solely because their kids pleaded for them to do so? How many recent Springboro graduates were misled or duped into voting for Malone because of a certain Springboro teacher's unethical (if not illegal) use of old high school permission slips? The bulk of the aforementioned votes were about bolstering a campaign built to capitalize on our older students' pop figure-worship of Ron Malone. The unethical Malone-supporting campaign blogs had absolutely nothing to do with pressing issues in this district such as validity of current OAA / OGT scoring thresholds.

Many Boro parents tend to be ignorant to, or worse, intentionally wear blinders toward the fact that their children's teachers union ( the SEA) is absolutely dead set on an agenda of creating a seemingly endless list of perceived "needs" in our schools. The more perceived needs union-greed supporters like Babb and Bindemann can lobby for, the more it will appear Springboro City Schools is in need of an "additional" levy. In terms of buidget forcasting, citizens of this community should ignore Ron Malone. Why should we chance putting the reins of this district's fiscal well being in the hands of a man who has continually proven he is incompetent and irresponsible as a manager of capital? We as a community need to demand the immediate removal of Ron Malone from budget and finance chair. We as a community need to continue putting our trust in Jim Rigano and David Petroni. Jim and David are the ones who laid out the groundwork as to how to bring this district back from tons of irresponsible spending that led to tens of millions of dollars worth of irresponsible (and yes, sometimes unaccountable) red ink.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30652 Feb 19, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
So Doug can defend Petroni for an attack on a student as well as call our kids not "PROFICIENT" but his kids are off base?
GOT IT.
Do you mean like the snide comments you made?.

Seriously this is still not newsworthy, I am not offended and I doubt if my kids are either.

What is newsworthy are the comments made earlier by a former football mom regarding the flow of money through the football program and Mr. Wilhite's handling of such.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30653 Feb 19, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, where in the common core does it set a ceiling for learning. Common core sets the least amount a student will be taught. It ensures that no matter where you happen to be born you have equal access to the same education as anyone else born in this country.
If a district wants to teach at an accelerated rate (8th grade math in 7th grade) they are welcome to do that.
Why does a child born in Alabama having the same access to education that a child in New York sound so bad?
If you want to know how well central planning works out, ask the Soviets and the Chinese about their five year plans for a variety of enterprises. See how well that worked out for them before you try instituting documented failure here.
Cannot Stop Laughing

United States

#30654 Feb 19, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish to offer an apology for the tone and tenor of my last post concerning Doug. Regardless of my frustration surrounding the events of this forum, that does not make it right for me to have come out as strong as I did. To that end, I hope you will consider acceptance of this apology.
THIS IS THE BEST POST I'VE EVER SEEN! I don't know who you are, but we MUST meet for coffee!
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30655 Feb 20, 2014
Excellent Education wrote:
<quoted text>
I know way more about what my kids are learning in school than you do. My oldest will be in the top 5% of the class. My youngest, who knows, but I'm sure she will do quite well also. Know why? I did what I was supposed to do as a parent. Many do not. They expect teachers to work miracles with their kids, and some do. It should be about growth. Maybe that kid who got 74% would have gotten a 40% without his excellent teacher.
I've been more than happy with the education my kids are receiving. They're very smart, have been exposed to a wide variety of coursework, and will do well in college and a career.
I am not expecting miracles, I am merely expecting people to do the job they were hired to do. If your job is to teach, teach the material in the textbook you are provided. There is zero reason to believe that only 1 in 5 parents is as good as you are. There is, however, a multitude of evidence collected, correlated, and saved by the state to demonstrate the failure of our system in educating children in this district.

The failure of 80% of our children who receive a D or F on the Ohio Achievement Assessment tests, is a cumulative failure of education that begins with the first math lesson in kindergarten. You cannot lay the entire blame on 8th grade math teachers because they are forced to deal with the knowledge base their students arrive in class with at the first of the year. That knowledge base is the result of accepting as PROFICIENT the attainment of 40-60% of the curriculum each prior year of education. Focusing and celebrating the hollowness of PROFICIENT leads us to a class of 8th graders who know much less than is expected.

You can't build a foundation for a house by skipping half of the building blocks, why would we expect education to be any different?
Do not Forget Baseball

Lebanon, OH

#30656 Feb 20, 2014
I knew there was funny stuff going on with the baseball program. Every year we ran fund raisers to generate money for trips to Florida the team took every couple years. We would ask Pelfrey how much money we took in and he would just answer "We had a good event". Nobody ever had any idea how much money we raised for that team except the coach. It was also 90% cash. There was absolutely no accounting to the people who were doing the work for the team and nobody wanted to jeopardize their kid's chances of playing by getting on the wrong side of the coach by asking too many questions. Finances were something Pelfrey obviously did not want to talk about. The investigators need to speak with some of the parents of past players and not just the hand picked ones the coaches suggest.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30657 Feb 20, 2014
Show me the money wrote:
<quoted text>
As a football mom who sold Lottery Tickets and Lift-A-Thon and contributed for whatever went unsold to meet the coach's mandated amounts, I know that those funds never made it out of Wilhite's hands. By 2008, Wilhite had taken over the Mom's account. Why hasn't the auditor interviewed the Football Mom's secretary/treasurer? She was the keeper of the checkbook and did anything Wilhite told her to do, including, it seems, providing a home for football playing foster children. And where did his brand new pickup truck and Cadillac come from? On a high school teacher's salary with a stay at home wife and two kids?
Maybe the curtain is being pulled back, listen soon for the cries of "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, all is well in Oz".
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30658 Feb 20, 2014
Let us review the report from the State Auditor on our summer camps

State Auditor Report
Springboro Community City School District
December 12, 2013

"1. Springboro Boys Basketball Camps
A bank account was maintained by Troy Holtrey, the former Springboro High School head basketball coach and former ATHLETIC DIRECTOR who operated the camp. Mr. Holtrey indicated that he had been operating camps for approximately 20 years. He believes he opened the account in 2004/05 per the request of the Superintendent. Prior to operating his own bank account the camps financial activity was accounted for by the Springboro Boosters.

Mr. Holtrey indicated that after he had paid for all of the expenses (camp workers, t- shirts, basketballs, etc.) related to the camp, he considered any funds remaining from the fees he collected to be his stipend.

2. Springboro Football Camp
A bank account was maintained by Ryan Wilhite, the Springboro High School head football coach who operated the summer football camp. Mr. Wilhite indicated that he had been operating a camp for approximately 7 years. He believes he opened the account in 2009 per the request of the former ATHLETIC DIRECTOR (Mr. Holtrey).

Prior to operating his own bank account, the camp’s financial activity was accounted for through an organization known as the ‘Springboro Football Moms Club’ and the Springboro Boosters.

During our interview, Mr. Wilhite stated that some of the checks that were written to him were used to pay for other High School team related expenses, pay camp workers in cash or reimburse him for other expenses made out of personal funds. He also indicated that after he had paid for all of the expenses (camp workers, t-shirts) related to the camp, he considered any funds remaining to be his stipend.

3. Springboro Girls Basketball Camp
A bank account was maintained by Tom Benjamin, the Springboro High School girls head basketball coach who operated summer camp. He noted that he had operated summer camps for approximately 5 years and he has always had this outside account.

According to Mr. Benjamin, he collected camp fees for a summer girls basketball camp he operated. After he had paid for all of the expenses (camp workers, t-shirts, basketballs) related to the camp, he considered any funds remaining from the fees he collected to be his stipend.

4. Springboro Baseball Camp
We did not meet with Mr. Pelfrey, boys head high school baseball coach; however, from review of the outside bank account we found that a separate outside account was first opened in April 2011.

Upon review of the outside bank account it appeared as if Mr. Pelfrey paid himself a stipend with the fees collected for the camp after he had paid for all the camp related expenses (insurance, camp workers, t-shirts) which was consistent with how the coaches for the boys basketball camp, girls basketball camp, and football camp paid their stipends.

5. Springboro Girls Volleyball Camp
A bank account was maintained by Kevin Sedensky, girls high school head volleyball coach who operated a summer camp.

Per a memo Coach Sedensky wrote to the District dated August 7, 2012, in April 2011 the District’s ATHLETIC DIRECTOR directed him to open a summer camp account in his name.
Mr. Sedensky also operated the Panthers Youth Volleyball league activity in this bank account in the winter of 2012."
Stop Common Core

Springfield, OH

#30659 Feb 20, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, where in the common core does it set a ceiling for learning. Common core sets the least amount a student will be taught. It ensures that no matter where you happen to be born you have equal access to the same education as anyone else born in this country.
If a district wants to teach at an accelerated rate (8th grade math in 7th grade) they are welcome to do that.
Why does a child born in Alabama having the same access to education that a child in New York sound so bad?
Again, One Collective Size (stamped with the status quo union label) Does Not Fit All Students Across this Great Nation.
Again, that's why some states are opting out of full implementation of Common Core.
Common Core is just like the affordable health care act; no one (not even our political leaders) knew what was in it, at the time that is was passed into law. Now, what is wrong for the Individual is becoming known.

About Common Core, we do know that we cannot afford to gamble with our future
by continuing Investment of our local school tax dollars in status quo standards that were not internationally benchmarked or research-based.

Common Core has never been piloted or field tested anywhere, but other standards that are higher - Indiana, for example - ARE proven. The four people who were the lead writers of CCSS, two each in math and ELA, have NEVER been classroom K-12 Teachers or had written standards before.

If concerned citizens strongly oppose LOSS of local control to the federal government (or any other consortium outside of Ohio) now is the time to send a clear message to our school district leaders and Ohio State Representatives, urging them to offer their support of
House Bill 237.
Republicans for CC

Franksville, WI

#30660 Feb 20, 2014
Stop Common Core wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, One Collective Size (stamped with the status quo union label) Does Not Fit All Students Across this Great Nation.
"Many respected conservatives back the Common Core, including such scarred veterans of the education-reform wars as Jeb Bush, Bill Bennett, John Engler, Chris Christie, Mike Huckabee, Sonny Perdue, Bobby Jindal, Rod Paige, and Mitch Daniels. They realize that academic standards are just the beginning, setting out a destination but not how to get there. They understand, too, that a destination worth reaching beats aimless wandering—and a big modern country is better off if it knows how all its kids and schools are doing against a rigorous set of common expectations for the three R’s."

"As Arkansas’ Mike Huckabee said on his radio show in early May,“Parents and people involved in their local schools should let it be known that core standards are valuable, and they’re not something to be afraid of—they are something to embrace.” He also faulted the Republican National Committee for passing a resolution against the standards.“I think that’s very short-sighted,” Huckabee said.

Shortly after the RNC resolution, Jeb Bush noted that the weak-kneed nature of today’s state-level standards is what led a bi-partisan group to develop the Common Core together in the first place. "We’ve so dumbed down our expectations for young people,” Bush explained,“so as not to create any kind of conflict because we're worried about little Johnny’s self-esteem rather than if little Johnny can read or write." Undeterred by his party’s national committee, he made clear that "I'm going to stay in the fight."
- http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/201...
The More You Know

Franksville, WI

#30661 Feb 20, 2014
Stop Common Core wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it that a child in Alabama should be treated differently than a child in New York? They both wear the same diapers and eat the same food, etc.

Common core is about standards NOT curriculum. Suggesting that children in Alabama can't learn at the same rate as children in New York (or anywhere else) is a logic that would lead that we need different traffic laws in New York as we have in Alabama.
The More You Know

Franksville, WI

#30662 Feb 20, 2014
Cannot Stop Laughing wrote:
<quoted text>
THIS IS THE BEST POST I'VE EVER SEEN! I don't know who you are, but we MUST meet for coffee!
Thanks for noticing. LOL
Worth Repeating Again

Franksville, WI

#30663 Feb 20, 2014
Worth Repeating Again

Franksville, WI

#30664 Feb 20, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to know how well central planning works out, ask the Soviets and the Chinese about their five year plans for a variety of enterprises. See how well that worked out for them before you try instituting documented failure here.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Are you obsessed with communism?
Facing Problems

Springfield, OH

#30665 Feb 20, 2014
reality wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely correct. Now take what you've posted and continue the logic a step or two. What do indoctrinated students of Springboro schools do best? They tend to pass their Boro indoctrination onto their parents, many of whom have never set foot in a school board meeting. How many parents in this community voted for Malone solely because their kids pleaded for them to do so? How many recent Springboro graduates were misled or duped into voting for Malone because of a certain Springboro teacher's unethical (if not illegal) use of old high school permission slips? The bulk of the aforementioned votes were about bolstering a campaign built to capitalize on our older students' pop figure-worship of Ron Malone. The unethical Malone-supporting campaign blogs had absolutely nothing to do with pressing issues in this district such as validity of current OAA / OGT scoring thresholds.
Many Boro parents tend to be ignorant to, or worse, intentionally wear blinders toward the fact that their children's teachers union ( the SEA) is absolutely dead set on an agenda of creating a seemingly endless list of perceived "needs" in our schools. The more perceived needs union-greed supporters like Babb and Bindemann can lobby for, the more it will appear Springboro City Schools is in need of an "additional" levy. In terms of buidget forcasting, citizens of this community should ignore Ron Malone. Why should we chance putting the reins of this district's fiscal well being in the hands of a man who has continually proven he is incompetent and irresponsible as a manager of capital? We as a community need to demand the immediate removal of Ron Malone from budget and finance chair. We as a community need to continue putting our trust in Jim Rigano and David Petroni. Jim and David are the ones who laid out the groundwork as to how to bring this district back from tons of irresponsible spending that led to tens of millions of dollars worth of irresponsible (and yes, sometimes unaccountable) red ink.
Let's Face It, Springboro.

Ron Malone is the biggest threat to the future of our school children and community. Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.

Let's Face It, Springboro.

Admitting the problem is the first step towards change may sound corny, but it is often true.
Ron Malone can't do better until Ron Malone admits that his old status quo failed practices of the past are not good for our students first 21st century education.

Mr. Malone is pretty good at trying to hide and ignore his problem of failed leadership as the principal that everyone loved for the past 13 years; but now that Mr. Malone is an elected board representative, it is no longer possible for him to hide the truth from concerned citizens, no matter how much Malone tries to ignore it by hiding behind the MSA majority rules mantra in the board room.

Truth is, the majority of voters elected Charles Anderson as board representative.
Now, isn't it time that board president Charles Anderson stopped ignoring his responsibility and accountability to his community wide constituents, and put a stop to this current action of school employee Todd Petrey, who is now working against children first, re-instating Ron Malone's status quo agenda putting union first financial interests priority with our school tax dollars?

Why is it in this community that one man, Ron Malone, is allowed to continue this bullying of his fellow board members and professional peers in the board room, just as he did in his protest rally against his professional peers and Board of Education authority in his vote for revenge against children first, in March 2012?

Face It Springboro. Ron Malone IS the problem at the heart of it all. Ron Malone has got to go, or else our school children and community will lose it all that has been done for the past two years, putting students first.
The More You Know

Franksville, WI

#30666 Feb 20, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
This quarter’s report highlight where the top 20 countries education systems strengthen lies and where there needs to be improvement to maintain, move-up, or drop out of the top 20.

1 Japan
2. South Korea
3. United Kingdom
4. Singapore
5. Russia
6. Finland
7. Canada
8. Netherlands
9. Ireland
10. Israel
11. China
12. New Zealand
13. Norway
14. Belgium
15.Germany
16. Denmark
17. Estonia
18. United States of America
19. France
20. Portugal

Russia 5, China 11, USA 18. If this is an example of central planning why wouldn't we want in on it??????
The More You Know

Franksville, WI

#30667 Feb 20, 2014
Source for above: http://worldtop20.org/
The More You Know

Franksville, WI

#30668 Feb 20, 2014
"Other surprises in the 2013 Poll, was how well some countries outperformed others that spend more per student. The United States had the highest per cost per student ($15,172) but ranked 18th; countries like Estonia 17th ($6,126), Finland 6th ($10,157) and even first place Japan spends less ($10,596) per student."

- http://worldtop20.org/

In Springboro we spend $7,926.

Oakwood spends $11,240.

Mason spends $10,125.

Looks like money does help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Boo 21,334
Springboro basketball Nov 15 jessie 2
Ryan Luke St John arrested for murdering 2 year... (Mar '17) Nov 14 Justice For Brayden 3
bad Middletown neighborhoods (Jul '13) Nov 13 reality 17
SVG Motors (Steve's a Vain Guy) (Jan '16) Nov 13 dkraus1044 29
News 18-year-old Arrested After Baby Remains Found Nov 12 Barney Fife 8
Mart Crowe (May '12) Nov 10 Deanna Held 77

Springboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages