Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31883 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Smells Like Union Smearin

Lebanon, OH

#30479 Feb 16, 2014
speaking of current news

http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/local/c...

Who were the coaches involved here and who was the athletic director and superintendent? This seems kind of interesting? How did they come up with that amount and why would any of those coaches willingly fork it over? Maybe the more you know will give us some tips on how to interpret this seemingly rampant diversion of funds.

Lebanon, OH

#30480 Feb 16, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
And you never discussed our former BOE president's conflict of interest by voting us into an organization she founded (OSBLC)?
Hypocrite anyone?
The board viewed that as a conflict of interest and never joined the OSBLC during the past board's tenure. Crow anyone?
No More Pizza Guys

Springboro, OH

#30481 Feb 16, 2014
Smells Like Union Smearin wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you publish Mr. Petroni's "vile" remarks so we can all see what you are talking about? This smells more and more like a union smear campaign based upon innuendo, half truth, and outright disinformation. If they (read union) never publish the actual article, it is left to the mind of the reader to contemplate what may or may not be involved. So instead of arguing about the great and excellent education a child in our district is receiving they (read union) perpetuate anything to divert attention away from their (read union) failures. At least Weideman provides verifiable source material from third party sources.
Are you stupid? It was on the news. Mr. Petroni has shown his true colors. What an embarrassment he is.

SPRINGBORO, Ohio (WDTN)– Positive messages are posted in the hallways of Springboro High School. They are part of Random Acts of Kindness Week.

It was organized by a self-proclaimed “Anonymous Panther”. He or she only communicates through e-mail and Twitter.

“The fact that it’s anonymous doesn’t really bother me because I think it says people are watching no matter what you do and even if they’re not watching, you should always be kind to someone,” says Springboro High School Principal Tina Daniel.

The “Anonymous Panther” sent an e-mail to the school board and superintendent last week informing them about the plans.

2 NEWS obtained those e-mails through a public records request.

In an e-mail dated February 5, school board member David Petroni asked the student to reveal his or her identity, but the student refused.

Petroni responded by e-mail saying,“I will never support anonymity. Why? It ain’t real life. I hope the IP address of your message permits you to graduate sir or madame.”

He also told the student to “man up or woman up”.

2 NEWS reached out to Petroni for comment, but still haven’t heard back from him.

Fellow school board members Ron Malone and Dave Stuckey, as well as superintendent Todd Petrey, were copied on that e-mail.

All three apologized to the “Anonymous Panther” for Petroni’s comments and stated their support for the student’s mission.

“For it to be student-composed, it really is a beautiful thing to see and we’re proud of our students,” comments Petrey.

Students say it brought them closer together.

“It’s really positive to have someone here who’s willing to do everything that needs to be done to make Springboro a better place. We’re all excited that somebody is willing to step up and do that for us,” explains senior Will Fridenmaker.

We emailed “Anonymous Panther” hoping to get an interview.

We received a response saying that the student never imagined it would grow into something this big and that “it is far too risky with the amount of people determined to reveal my identity. I will be revealing myself at graduation this year, so I’m not taking any chances until then.”

The student hopes it will inspire others to pay it forward.

It wasn’t just the high school that participated in Random Acts of Kindness Week. It was a district wide event.

Next year, the principal says they hope to involve the community as well.
Current Events

Springboro, OH

#30482 Feb 16, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
And just how do you get Dr. Malone from the topix of "Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies".
Spin, spin, spin.
NO DOUBT ABOUT IT Your irrelevance, as the irrelevance of this forum, is clear in this community.
Your one voice, one vote, just like everyone else on this topix speaks only your personal perspective and no ONE voice can speak for "this community."

Do you know how many Voters (age 18 and over) currently reside in "this community?"

Have you spoken to each ONE and asked each ONE in the community: Is the irrelevance of this forum clear in this community?

Betcha haven't done that!

So your irrelevance on this forum as speaking for "this community" is quite clearly to all (who are even interested enough to read this forum) nothing more than your same old one voice, one vote of blah blah blah ..... spin spin spin.... putting the re-emphasis
on the status quo greed of the union member educators for more power and money, even to the detriment of our children's first safety, highly trained teachers, and all other physical aspects required for a quality classroom education.
No More Pizza Guys

Springboro, OH

#30483 Feb 16, 2014
In the news wrote:
Our former BOE president is in the news again. I wonder if the three new tea party member of the West Clermont board are part of the OSBLC.
Tea Partiers On West Clermont School Board Likely Broke Open Meetings Laws
http://www.plunderbund.com/2014/02/15/tea-par...
I truly feel sorry for that district and what they are facing. The silver lining is that at least Kohls is a FORMER Springboro School Board member. Thank you, Lord!!

Lebanon, OH

#30484 Feb 16, 2014
No More Pizza Guys wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you stupid? It was on the news. Mr. Petroni has shown his true colors. What an embarrassment he is.
SPRINGBORO, Ohio (WDTN)– Positive messages are posted in the hallways of Springboro High School. They are part of Random Acts of Kindness Week.
It was organized by a self-proclaimed “Anonymous Panther”. He or she only communicates through e-mail and Twitter.
“The fact that it’s anonymous doesn’t really bother me because I think it says people are watching no matter what you do and even if they’re not watching, you should always be kind to someone,” says Springboro High School Principal Tina Daniel.
The “Anonymous Panther” sent an e-mail to the school board and superintendent last week informing them about the plans.
2 NEWS obtained those e-mails through a public records request.
In an e-mail dated February 5, school board member David Petroni asked the student to reveal his or her identity, but the student refused.
Petroni responded by e-mail saying,“I will never support anonymity. Why? It ain’t real life. I hope the IP address of your message permits you to graduate sir or madame.”
He also told the student to “man up or woman up”.
2 NEWS reached out to Petroni for comment, but still haven’t heard back from him.
Fellow school board members Ron Malone and Dave Stuckey, as well as superintendent Todd Petrey, were copied on that e-mail.
All three apologized to the “Anonymous Panther” for Petroni’s comments and stated their support for the student’s mission.
“For it to be student-composed, it really is a beautiful thing to see and we’re proud of our students,” comments Petrey.
Students say it brought them closer together.
“It’s really positive to have someone here who’s willing to do everything that needs to be done to make Springboro a better place. We’re all excited that somebody is willing to step up and do that for us,” explains senior Will Fridenmaker.
We emailed “Anonymous Panther” hoping to get an interview.
We received a response saying that the student never imagined it would grow into something this big and that “it is far too risky with the amount of people determined to reveal my identity. I will be revealing myself at graduation this year, so I’m not taking any chances until then.”
The student hopes it will inspire others to pay it forward.
It wasn’t just the high school that participated in Random Acts of Kindness Week. It was a district wide event.
Next year, the principal says they hope to involve the community as well.
How do you know that Anonymous Panther is not a 40 year old alcoholic pedophile? Is it wise to acknowledge and support unknown people who say the right thing at the right time without unveiling themselves? That seems naive and stupid. The kind of thing we try and teach our children to avoid, nice strangers in nice cars offering candy to the kiddies. What moron isn't teaching that to their kids? Random does not mean faceless.

Lebanon, OH

#30485 Feb 16, 2014
speaking of current news, you forgot to give us the union spin on this gem
http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/local/c ...
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30486 Feb 16, 2014
<quoted text>
The board viewed that as a conflict of interest and never joined the OSBLC during the past board's tenure. Crow anyone?
Yes they DID. They were apart of the OSBLC. Our former BOE president said so in many presentation to other groups.

Why do you think we had to vote to re-join OSBA this year.

You're too busy smearin to know the FACTS.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30487 Feb 16, 2014
<quoted text>
How do you know that Anonymous Panther is not a 40 year old alcoholic pedophile? Is it wise to acknowledge and support unknown people who say the right thing at the right time without unveiling themselves? That seems naive and stupid. The kind of thing we try and teach our children to avoid, nice strangers in nice cars offering candy to the kiddies. What moron isn't teaching that to their kids? Random does not mean faceless.
How do we know you're not one?
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30488 Feb 16, 2014
Current Events wrote:
<quoted text>
Your one voice, one vote, just like everyone else on this topix speaks only your personal perspective and no ONE voice can speak for "this community."
Do you know how many Voters (age 18 and over) currently reside in "this community?"
Have you spoken to each ONE and asked each ONE in the community: Is the irrelevance of this forum clear in this community?
Betcha haven't done that!
So your irrelevance on this forum as speaking for "this community" is quite clearly to all (who are even interested enough to read this forum) nothing more than your same old one voice, one vote of blah blah blah ..... spin spin spin.... putting the re-emphasis
on the status quo greed of the union member educators for more power and money, even to the detriment of our children's first safety, highly trained teachers, and all other physical aspects required for a quality classroom education.
Several on here keep posting about the 'community' and 'taxpayers have spoken'. Any criticism for them.....

Didn't think so.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30489 Feb 16, 2014
Weideman has more guts and looking at Petroni's response to an anonymous email
“I will never support anonymity. Why? It ain’t real life. I hope the IP address of your message permits you to graduate sir or madame.”
What does the third line mean? Does Petroni suspect this is not a student? Where is the rest of the email thread? I agree with Petroni you can't just support everybody who says they are doing good because they emailed you. You may be a big supporter of the anonymous confederate flag waving group who wants to speak about God and patriotism, but I will withhold my support and judgement until I actually have a chance to hear what they have to say and the time to reflect upon its virtues. This still smells like a union smear to me.
Such denial.
More Scrutiny Please

Springboro, OH

#30490 Feb 16, 2014
Why Common Core Deserves More Scrutiny

How well do you know the "Common Core History?"

2001 Ohio wrote original State Content Standards.

2007 Identified Ohio Standards as low, began review and overhaul.

HB 1 Passed in early 2009 adopting CC involvement. Strickland, 2010, June, adopted Common Core.

Ohio handed over its vested interest to the common good National Standards actors. State can no customize only 15% of these standards. National assessments will not measure these 15%. Now a large body with minimal Ohio input is in control of Ohio Standards for English and Math.

June 2009 HB 2 passed and in July 2009, Ohio RTTT application, included commitment to "Rigorous" content standards, i.e. Common Core happened to fit the bill.

Assessments now Must be Aligned so Ohio had to also commit to use Smarter Balance or PARRC. Ohio contracted with PARRC in 2011, which is funded by FEDERAL agencies.

Stay Alert Voters -- Before submitting to OSBA indoctrination of emotionally blackmailing Springboro Families to increase local taxes to pay it forward for Springboro Panthers; We best take a close look at all our school tax money that is going out of our Springboro Panthers local classroom and into the Local, State, and Federal Union Masters hands.

The Cry to Pay It Forward from our Springboro Panthers is not
"Current Events" but the same old rallying cry of the Pro-Levy Lovers under the leadership of Baker/Dettwiller back in the year 2008 when the renewal levy was up for approval (which passed overwhelmingly) but the New Taxes Increase failed to pass, even under the threat from Springboro Panthers that If Springboro Families did not "Pay It Forward" by indebting our family homes with higher taxes to the local schools, that they would be punished by school district leaders,
who would impose high pay to play fees and cut out busing for our students to get to class safely (among other scare tactics).

Lebanon, OH

#30491 Feb 16, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
How do we know you're not one?
My point exactly, you have no idea who anonymous is or represents. Publicly endorse me and find out the hard way later.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30492 Feb 16, 2014
No More Pizza Guys wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you stupid?
That's a rhetorical question right?:)? I think the answer is obvious. If the shoe fits.....:)

Welcome to the insanity, nice to see another sane poster around here.

Lebanon, OH

#30493 Feb 16, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they DID. They were apart of the OSBLC. Our former BOE president said so in many presentation to other groups.
Why do you think we had to vote to re-join OSBA this year.
You're too busy smearin to know the FACTS.
Better check your sources, do you like your crow hot or cold?

Lebanon, OH

#30494 Feb 16, 2014
As current as more you know likes to pretend to be, why no union spin on this gem?

More Scrutiny Please

Springboro, OH

#30495 Feb 16, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Several on here keep posting about the 'community' and 'taxpayers have spoken'. Any criticism for them.....
Didn't think so.
It is easy to offer criticism as you do; but difficult for you to accept Scrutiny of the true history of board member Ron Malone and his current efforts to hand over our school tax dollars to the Control of the SEA.....

but do you remember that the "community of taxpayers" failed FIVE proposed school tax increase levies; simply because the Scrutiny of our schools' financial business was done by Two private citizens, David Petroni and Jim Rigano, and 12 steps were recommended to the school district leaders. Long before November 2011 when these two board members were elected; they were already hard at work representing Our Children First.

Do you remember that our previous board members/school administrators did everything that that they could do to silence the voice of these private citizens, as they went about the community educating taxpayers (who had the interest to come to the meetings) that our children's 21st century education doesn't need more Money to provide a quality classroom education; we need more Accountability ensuring that all students are receiving the education that our Taxpayers are already paying for. That's what putting students first while maintaining fiscal integrity is all about.

Do you remember that one of these private citizens was threatened by the former school superintendent that legal action would be pursued against him if he used video camera during the superintendent's presentation of emotionally blackmailing taxpayers into voting for a tax increase to Pay It Forward?

Do you remember back in the days of Lolli/Jarvis in the Board room that Springboro citizens were met at the door by the school treasurer and told to write down their comments for the superintendent to see IF they were planning to speak to the board in public meeting?

Those were the bad old days that are now part of our History; but today, thanks to concerned citizens like David Petroni and Jim Rigano stepping up to serve our school children and community as BOE elected officials, we now have more transparency in our school budget and more open communication between the school community of employees and the community of taxpayers than ever before in our schools history. And that's a good thing.
The Record Speaks Truth

Springboro, OH

#30496 Feb 16, 2014
Let's continue the Scrutiny....Lest Malone Repeats his History of failed practices.

The True History of a Man….through official documents written by third party observers. It is not as golden as you have been led to believe.
As the man who led our school district as high school principal for 13 years, Ron Malone held a special place of trust, authority, and influence in our community. How he chose to use those gifts is revealed in the public records reports of his professional peer reviewers, his superiors, and his own public pronouncements.
The recent note from Mr. Tom Isaacs of the Warren County Educational Service Center in defense of Mr. Malone is noteworthy in that it did not refute any of their prior conclusions or recommendations.
DECEMBER 2010 - Warren County Educational Service Center audit
report on SHS program of studies RECOMMENDATIONS page 13:

"Increase the number of students taking the HIGH SCHOOLS THAT WORKS recommended curriculum/Ohio Core each year by at least 25 percent.
"Increase the percentage of students taking college preparatory courses. Eliminate any course offerings below the college preparatory level."

JANUARY 2012 - Superintendent Gene Lolli's annual performance evaluation of Mr. Malone notes:

"Mr. Malone does demonstrate the ability to affect change, but sometimes very reluctantly. It sometimes takes numerous requests by Superintendent before changes are implemented."

Mr. Malone needs to improve on getting request goals to the Superintendent in a timely fashion. Examples include: Requested schedule of events for delayed start at the beginning of the year, at semester, and last week and have not yet received. Also requested times and dates of all staff meetings and quarterly updates on the High Schools That Work per 2011-2012 job targets.

JANUARY 2013 - Warren County Educational Service Center audit report on SHS program of studies page 10:
"SHS still offers GENERAL LEVEL CLASSES (Algebra 1A and 1B, physical science, US History, and World History). Thus, not all students experience a college preparatory curriculum. Documents provided to the Technical Assistance Visiting (TAV Team indicate that contrary to the High Schools That Works philosophy, SHS believes that offering LOW-LEVEL COURSES is in the best interest of students. This belief, however, WAS NOT SUBSTANTIATED by research or data."
2013 US NEWS ranking of high schools in Ohio ranks King’s #23, Mason #35, Bellbrook#37, Brookville #41, Lebanon #48, Centerville #49, Waynesville #53, Monroe #90 and , and finally Springboro #97.
Given our district’s stated 40% gifted population, the fact that only 20% are on track to take A/P classes in high school, our district is severely underperforming compared to those districts around us in my opinion.
*Number of Dual College Credit Classes available when Mr. Malone
retired - 0
*Number of Dual College Credit classes added after Mr. Malone retired
June 30, 2013 - 6
Misallocation of district and taxpayer resources: 34 out of 77 elective classes at the high school had less than 20 students, more than a few had multiple classes.
IE: Children’s Literature, 2 classes – 27 total students, Entrepreneurship, 2 classes – 20 total students, etc.
My conclusion is that Mr. Malone ran this high school like a union shop, making up classes with scant demand to ensure employment for those whose skills were not in demand. This tactic robbed resources from areas of greater need in the district. Those who suffered the most were the gifted and those in need of early intervention.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30497 Feb 16, 2014
<quoted text>
Better check your sources, do you like your crow hot or cold?
Again, why did we have to vote to join OSBA? 3 of our board members regularly spoke at OSBLC events. Check YOUR facts. P/R/K are listed on SEVERAL OSBLC addenda's.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30498 Feb 16, 2014
As current as more you know likes to pretend to be, why no union spin on this gem?
The page could not be found

We're sorry, the page you requested could not be found. It is possible that the address is incorrect, or that the page no longer exists.

????????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Our ITTs can't compete with their H-1Bs" 1 min Leon Harrison 1
Why imported immigrant H-1Bs are better than yo... 21 hr The Hack Checker 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 22 hr Buffalojimmy 20,099
why do white people smell like wet dogs? (Oct '14) Fri A Rope And A Tree 14
"Our Humvees are good and tough enough" Thu Leon Harrison 1
We have the urge to merge! Aug 27 The Duke of Hazard 1
Today's Leon Harrison Quotation Aug 27 Leon Harrison 31
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages