Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,515

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Say It Again

Springboro, OH

#30304 Feb 1, 2014
HAHAHAHA wrote:
<quoted text>
It is agreed that our community has had Enough of Dr. Malone using our students to his own self-glory; but those good old days are over now that Malone is in the board room. You can Keep Your Belief in him; Just Keep his hands out of the pockets of Springboro families.
It has already been proven (along with Malone's true history of past failed practices) that this school district doesn't need more money; it just needs more accountability.
Malone will need more than quite a few votes for his position on School Tax Increases. The only thing our community made clear is that even an under-performing, arrogantly rude and quite lazy-minded "has been a principal for the PAST thirteen years" really can win election on name recognition; and a well-funded two-year advertising campaign. Malone is mistaken if he thinks the community was voting him number two board meeting so that he could raise taxes to feed his addiction for more, more, more dues for the union. Enough is Enough.
That's funny, Haha... but seriously, Malone's Tax and Spend Addiction for more, more, more dues for the union really is worth saying again:

"Malone is mistaken if he thinks the community was voting him number two board member so that he could raise taxes to feed his addiction for more, more, more dues for the union. Enough is Enough."

Malone is no longer proving himself to be insanely popular with the community... now that he is in the board room he is, no doubt, proving that he truly is a big "joke" in this community...and a legend only in his own mind.

Just a matter of time.... Thank goodness he already has an expiration date of 2017 stamped on his forehead!
Pray for Bro Ron

Springboro, OH

#30305 Feb 1, 2014
They already hatched wrote:
<quoted text>
"Children's First Budgeting" has got to be the biggest misnomer Springboro has ever seen. I think "Tea Party First Budgeting" or maybe "Trying to Dismantle Public Schools Budgeting" would be a better name for the misguided policies of the FORMER board, THANK GOD, the new board will have some sense!
Let us join in prayer for Brother Ron, Thanking God that he will have some sense!

For S-U-R-E no dollars and cents will be INVESTED in NEW TAXES as long as Ron Malone's severely misguided status quo tunnel vision leadership has influence in this school district.

Let us join in prayer for Bother Ron, that he will return to his first love of being "the beloved cheerleader captain" who just wants to have fun with the students; and who should launch a campaign for revenge against the Athletics Boosters Board President! Malone could "fit" right in with "collecting the money bags" at the end of each event of praise and worship of himself.
HAHAHAHA

Springboro, OH

#30307 Feb 1, 2014
<quoted text>
No offense, but I don't think you know the first thing about education. All you care about is your taxes, which I'm not even disagreeing with. Leave the education of our kids to the people who know what the hell they're doing. Recognize that you are not one of these people. You are not an expert in this area, not even close. Leave it to the people who know what they're doing. Yes, people can care about kids, care about teachers, care about the bottom line, etc. at the same time. Recognize your limitations and run your mouth accordingly.
No offense taken, but I know enough about "education" to be Proficient enough in Spelling to know HOW to spell M-O-N-E-Y; obviously our SEA/union activists for SURE think that money is spelled R-E-S-P-E-C-T; and they run their mouth accordingly.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30308 Feb 2, 2014
<quoted text>
No offense, but I don't think you know the first thing about education. All you care about is your taxes, which I'm not even disagreeing with. Leave the education of our kids to the people who know what the hell they're doing.
I will most gladly do just that as soon as we can locate a few.

A system that produces only 20% of our children who can score higher than 75% on the 8th grade Ohio Achievement Assessment test year after year after year does not lead one to believe the system we have now knows what the hell its doing.

One does not need to be a rocket scientist to know that if only 20% of the rockets you design don't blow up, most people would not sign up for a ride.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30309 Feb 2, 2014
<quoted text>
"Children's First Budgeting" has got to be the biggest misnomer Springboro has ever seen. I think "Tea Party First Budgeting" or maybe "Trying to Dismantle Public Schools Budgeting" would be a better name for the misguided policies of the FORMER board, THANK GOD, the new board will have some sense!
If you cannot argue against a point rationally, you are left with attempting to demonize the position with appellations that most would find offensive.

What exactly do you not like about budgeting our scarce resources with our children first and foremost at the head of the line?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30310 Feb 2, 2014
Enough wrote:
Dr. Malone got quite a few votes for his position on the school board! I think our community made it clear who we want making decisions for our kids!! We BELIEVE in him!
He was easily outpolled by Mr. Anderson.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30311 Feb 2, 2014
<quoted text>
You will find scores plummet across the nation. Be prepared for scores everywhere to be awful. In part, the number of tests in and of itself is ridiculous. Next year's Ohio sophomores will be required to take 17 tests, some of them requiring multiple hours and sessions. Not only is that much testing simply ridiculous, but also it takes away from instructional time. Bitch all you want about Springboro, but I'd lay money on the fact that Our scores won't be good, but they'll be among the best around. Don't like the test? The scoring? Etc.? You're barking up the wrong tree. Your issue should be with the state!
If the test scores are awful it is because the adults in the system have failed the children. If our teachers are capable of teaching the material in the text books our district taxpayers have provided, the test will seem quite easy for most. If we fail at that basic mission then we have only ourselves and not the children to blame.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30312 Feb 2, 2014
<quoted text>
In other words, you grossly exaggerated the amount. Ok, gotcha.
How much do you think Mr. Harves gathered unto himself from our unwatched coffers?

Go on give us your rationalization why $1,000,000 plus is not the right amount.

How many others were plundering the pie while our erstwhile administrators were out to lunch?
dung heap

Dayton, OH

#30313 Feb 2, 2014
Malone is one big narcissist..betcha every room in his house have mirrors on all four walls.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30318 Feb 2, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
How much do you think Mr. Harves gathered unto himself from our unwatched coffers?
Go on give us your rationalization why $1,000,000 plus is not the right amount.
How many others were plundering the pie while our erstwhile administrators were out to lunch?
Actually since you are the one doing the accusing, the burden of PROOF is on YOU.
(Didn't you ever watch Perry Mason?)

Still can't do it can you?

Nice to see other people are on here calling you out for what you are. Doen't take long for them to see it. As for the other's who support you here, they are too busy bathing in the Kool-Tea......
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30319 Feb 3, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually since you are the one doing the accusing, the burden of PROOF is on YOU.
(Didn't you ever watch Perry Mason?)
Still can't do it can you?
Nice to see other people are on here calling you out for what you are. Doen't take long for them to see it. As for the other's who support you here, they are too busy bathing in the Kool-Tea......
If you deny my rational, give me a better one to examine. Bottom line is we lost way more than just the $438,000 the banks had records for during Mr. Malone's tenure?(Banks are required by law to keep records for just 7 years)

Do you really believe Mr. Harves possessed such character that allowed him to resist the temptation to loot the bags of uncounted cash on his kitchen table?

Do you really believe the Mr Harves only wrote checks to himself during the period that the banks retained records?

The high school principal, Mr Malone was charged with coordinating the volunteer fund raising efforts of the parents with the needs of the children under his supervision.

How closely should Mr. Malone have worked with an organization to avoid being taken for $1,000,000 plus over a twelve year period?

Apparently a good deal closer.
The More You Know

Dayton, OH

#30320 Feb 3, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
If you deny my rational, give me a better one to examine. Bottom line is we lost way more than just the $438,000 the banks had records for during Mr. Malone's tenure?(Banks are required by law to keep records for just 7 years)
Do you really believe Mr. Harves possessed such character that allowed him to resist the temptation to loot the bags of uncounted cash on his kitchen table?
Do you really believe the Mr Harves only wrote checks to himself during the period that the banks retained records?
The high school principal, Mr Malone was charged with coordinating the volunteer fund raising efforts of the parents with the needs of the children under his supervision.
How closely should Mr. Malone have worked with an organization to avoid being taken for $1,000,000 plus over a twelve year period?
Apparently a good deal closer.
I don't just deny your rational, I deny you know how to read comprehensively.

Principals AND STAFF MEMBERS need to work closely with the officers of all parent organizations to enhance the educational opportunities for students.

Again, where is the blame for the other staff members? What about the Jr. High Principal?

How do you get "Mr. Malone was charged" when in the document YOU cited it states "Principals AND STAFF MEMBERS need to work closely with the officers of all parent organizations to enhance the educational opportunities for students."

Please provide the PROOF where "Dr. Malone was charged" to operate in the capacity you stated.

The witch hunt is still on.

And by the way it's NOT 7 years: According to the FDIC: "(ii) Retention of records. The bank must retain the information in paragraph (a)(3)(i)(A) of this section for five years after the date the account is closed or, in the case of credit card accounts, five years after the account is closed or becomes dormant. The bank must retain the information in paragraphs (a)(3)(i)(B),(C), and (D) of this section for five years after the record is made. " - http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/80...

Seems you know as much about bank regs as you do school regs. Your fact-checking is slipping.....
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30321 Feb 3, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't just deny your rational, I deny you know how to read comprehensively.
Principals AND STAFF MEMBERS need to work closely with the officers of all parent organizations to enhance the educational opportunities for students.
Again, where is the blame for the other staff members? What about the Jr. High Principal?
How do you get "Mr. Malone was charged" when in the document YOU cited it states "Principals AND STAFF MEMBERS need to work closely with the officers of all parent organizations to enhance the educational opportunities for students."
Please provide the PROOF where "Dr. Malone was charged" to operate in the capacity you stated.
The witch hunt is still on.
And by the way it's NOT 7 years: According to the FDIC: "(ii) Retention of records. The bank must retain the information in paragraph (a)(3)(i)(A) of this section for five years after the date the account is closed or, in the case of credit card accounts, five years after the account is closed or becomes dormant. The bank must retain the information in paragraphs (a)(3)(i)(B),(C), and (D) of this section for five years after the record is made. " - http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/80...
Seems you know as much about bank regs as you do school regs. Your fact-checking is slipping.....
Five years makes it EVEN WORSE, that comes to $87,600 PER YEAR in checks Mr. Harves was writing to himself. That amount does not address the scads of uncounted cash sitting in brown paper bags on Mr. Harves kitchen table.

Which staff members carried the weight of moral authority and respect that Mr. Malone exuded in the district?

If the big cheese isn't bothering to look, why would one of the little people?

Mr. Malone, set the tone and tenor of his high school, people followed his lead, who are you expecting to buck that trend at our high school? Mr. Malone's hand picked AD who proffered a myriad of excuses for why there was no record of booster IRS filings since 2005?

The Spanish teacher?

Who?

And the question still begs an answer, where is the recovered money?
The More You Know

Dayton, OH

#30322 Feb 3, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Five years makes it EVEN WORSE, that comes to $87,600 PER YEAR in checks Mr. Harves was writing to himself. That amount does not address the scads of uncounted cash sitting in brown paper bags on Mr. Harves kitchen table.
Which staff members carried the weight of moral authority and respect that Mr. Malone exuded in the district?
Mr. Malone, set the tone and tenor of his high school, people followed his lead, who are you expecting to buck that trend at our high school? Mr. Malone's hand picked AD who proffered a myriad of excuses for why there was no record of booster IRS filings since 2005?
The Spanish teacher?
Who?
First, the only thing EVEN WORSE about it is how it call in to question your statments that are grossely over stated if not entirely mistated.

Why wouldn't the "big cheese" be the superintendant (or the BOE for that matter).

As far as the money, ask the boosters. "Authorities said Harves occasionally made payments TO THE BOOSTERS totaling more than $280,000, including a lump-sum payment of nearly $144,000 after he was confronted by other board members."

And, by the way :

"No evidence was found to link other board members or anyone else to the plot to embezzle money from the group.

Club officials said the association has instituted more stringent controls to prevent similar incidents."

Again, your arrogance and refusal to see anyone else at fault in the matter is a detriment to your credibility. I'm guessing you would say that Dr. Malone would be responsible for any "girl scout cookie" money that comes up missing as well? I'll alert the local chapter, just in case.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30323 Feb 3, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
First, the only thing EVEN WORSE about it is how it call in to question your statments that are grossely over stated if not entirely mistated.
Why wouldn't the "big cheese" be the superintendant (or the BOE for that matter).
As far as the money, ask the boosters. "Authorities said Harves occasionally made payments TO THE BOOSTERS totaling more than $280,000, including a lump-sum payment of nearly $144,000 after he was confronted by other board members."
And, by the way :
"No evidence was found to link other board members or anyone else to the plot to embezzle money from the group.
Club officials said the association has instituted more stringent controls to prevent similar incidents."
Again, your arrogance and refusal to see anyone else at fault in the matter is a detriment to your credibility. I'm guessing you would say that Dr. Malone would be responsible for any "girl scout cookie" money that comes up missing as well? I'll alert the local chapter, just in case.
Mr. Malone was the one who had the first person contact with the groups that supported his schools, it is utterly unimaginable that anyone did anything in Mr. Malone's school of which he would be unaware.

The Board of Education, many years prior, charged the school principals with working closely with their support organizations. Why would the Board from years ago ask this action be performed?

Because the parents involved in raising monies for a particular school generally had children in that school and it would be most likely that the principal of that school would have more contact with those parents than say the superintendent.

Mr. Harves forked over $144,000 to the district before he headed down the street to speak with the police. At his trial the judge told him he had to make restitution of $153,000 or so before sentencing. They credited him with "paying back" $130,000 or so before he was caught.

I wonder if any of that uncounted cash that was so willfully ignored, was used to "pay" any of that money? After all, most of us know hard difficult it is to pay off a modest home in 15 -30 years, where did a painting contractor's supervisor find those kind of monies in just a few years?

The prosecutor said that Mr. Harves actions were entirely his own. The prosecutor did NOT say that absolutely no one else was absconding with our money elsewhere. The prosecutor dealt only with Mr. Harves and his situation, nobody else.

That does not mean that no one else could have been scamming on their own in other arenas. Given the paucity of controls and our willingness to believe the best in our fellow men, it is not unreasonable that some people may have felt they could take advantage of the program.

Fiduciary duty and trust are paramount in situations involving the funds raised through volunteer efforts on the behalf of children.

Mr. Malone was one of those who took that duty and responsibility too lightly.

In regards to more stringent controls, where are the reporting mechanisms instituted since they admitted to the looting?

I asked for such reports and received a checking account statement that showed how much money was deposited and who the checks were written to each month. This is the type of reporting MR HARVES preferred, it tells you exactly what he wants the reader to know.

Real accounting reveals the underlying cost structure of a business and its subsequent sales revenue, from which we are able to judge if a proper return on investment is being earned. Accounting illuminates inefficiencies, offers possible corrective measures, and brings to light opportunities.

While the checking account statement is important as a check and balance item, it alone does not quite do the same thing.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30325 Feb 3, 2014
The question remains, whether it is $500,000 or $250,000, where is the money.
reality

Springboro, OH

#30326 Feb 3, 2014
dung heap wrote:
Malone is one big narcissist..betcha every room in his house have mirrors on all four walls.
Plus these days, Ron Malone is filled to the gills with spite. All anyone in this community needs to do is to come to any school board meeting to not only witness the spite in Malone's eyes but also to hear it in his voice. When you come to meetings, be sure to bring lots of older Springboro students with you. Each and every Boro student should be hearing what's coming out of the mouth of Ron Malone, the role model they themselves christened to be "insanely popular" in this community.
Enough

Springboro, OH

#30327 Feb 3, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
The Spanish teacher?
Who?
Wow!! We just continue to beat the dead horse!!
Follow the Monies

Springboro, OH

#30328 Feb 3, 2014
The Boosters were paid back the monies that Harves took.
IF you doubt it or have questions, go to them and ask to see the books!
The monies that were taken have NOTHING to do with Dr. Malone.
The monies taken were taken from the Boosters and paid back directly to the Boosters as per the Warren County Courts!
Stop beating a dead horse!
Strange Friendships

Springboro, OH

#30329 Feb 3, 2014
Does anyone else think it is strange the power that Babb 'appears' to have in our District??
Why does one parent get to have the ear of the Superintendent and no other parent?
Who elected her to be our voice?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Despite this Hannity Insanity: 2 hr FOVR 5
Diversity Perversity (Apr '11) 6 hr The New Cool Warrior 7
What happens when traffic cameras go away? 7 hr Fan of Leon The Man 3
The Dayton Mall shoe-thief shooter: 9 hr Fan of Leon The Man 12
Don't drive your cars to and from bars! 10 hr Dayton Taxpayer 11
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 15 hr Bently 19,559
Will we have to sign liability-reslease forms? Dec 19 Sky King 1
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:56 pm PST