Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,302

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
You Need to Learn More

Springboro, OH

#30221 Jan 27, 2014
Why Common Core Deserves More Scrutiny

Common Core History

2001 Ohio wrote original State Content Standards.

2007 Identified Ohio Standards as low, began review and overhaul

HB1 Passed in early 2009 adopting CC involvement. Strickland

2010, June, adopted Common Core. Ohio handed over its vested interest to the common good National Standards actors. States can now customize only 15% of thee standards. National assessments will not measure these 15%. Now a large body with minimal Ohio input is in control of Ohio Standards for English and Math.

June 2009 HB1 passed and in July 2009, Ohio RTTT application included commitment to "Rigorous" content standards, i.e. Common Core happened to fit the bill.

Assessments now MUST BE ALIGNED soOhio had to also commit to use Smarter Balance or PARRC. Ohio contracted with PARRC in 2011, which is funded by federal agencies.

TODAY, The Evidence on Common Core:
2010 Fordham Rates States Standards (paid $6 million in the last few years by the Gates Foundation)

Ratings of State standards: California, Indiana, District of Columbia = A

Tennessee, Texas and Massachusetts = A-

Common Core = B rating

Then why Common Core?

It's rated lower than at least 6 States?

If you agree that Springboro Families need to learn more about the "Culture" of Common Core, then please visit the website at
www.OSBLC.org for the information that you need to learn more.
They already hatched

Springboro, OH

#30223 Jan 27, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Any material on that test that is not in our text books?
Our children will not suddenly become dumber because the test is harder, they will remain the same reflection of the euphemistic education we have provided them.
All tests are hard if you have not bothered to prepare for the material to be covered.
Yes. It's not so much material-oriented. There are EXTREMELY high level questions and little (if any) that is rote. Teachers will be forced, yet again, to teach to the test. I'm not saying there isn't value in the tests. I'm saying that kids across the nation will do poorly until teachers have better training on the Common Core. A huge part of the problem is the state. They make decisions at the last minute, leaving schools scrambling.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30224 Jan 27, 2014
They already hatched wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It's not so much material-oriented. There are EXTREMELY high level questions and little (if any) that is rote. Teachers will be forced, yet again, to teach to the test. I'm not saying there isn't value in the tests. I'm saying that kids across the nation will do poorly until teachers have better training on the Common Core. A huge part of the problem is the state. They make decisions at the last minute, leaving schools scrambling.
Bovine Scatology, teach the material in the book, learn the material in the book, and the rest will easily take care of itself.

If we don't have teachers capable of teaching the material, get some who can, this isn't a social welfare agency we are running.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30225 Jan 27, 2014
You Need to Learn More wrote:
Why Common Core Deserves More Scrutiny
Common Core History.
I have looked and looked and cannot find where the top cap is on common core. I see it as a set of what kids across this country will learn at a minimum. I see no maximum in the system.

Doesn't it seem logical that children, regardless of where they are born, have access to the same (minimum) education as everyone else? Children can't control where they are born. By focusing in most of the curriculum we keep public schools from teaching other non-essential subjects.

So if anyone can show me in the common core where it tells me what's the MOST a child can learn, it would appreciate it.
perspective

Springboro, OH

#30226 Jan 27, 2014
"Springboro Community City Schools are closed Tuesday Jan 28th due to dangerous wind chill temperatutures."

What ever happened to common sense? What ever happened to the type of parents who's send their children off to school with hats, scarves and gloves in conditions like this? Oh! That's right! I almost forgot! Most of these parents are our grandparents and great-grandparents, They're nice and warm on the other side of the grass.
Boro isnt an Island

Springboro, OH

#30227 Jan 27, 2014
If you live under an illusion that Children First Education-types such as Kohls Rigano and Petroni are exclusive in Ohio.... guess again.

http://www.compareohioschools.org/About__Us_....
Wonder Why

Springboro, OH

#30228 Jan 28, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
I have looked and looked and cannot find where the top cap is on common core. I see it as a set of what kids across this country will learn at a minimum. I see no maximum in the system.
Doesn't it seem logical that children, regardless of where they are born, have access to the same (minimum) education as everyone else? Children can't control where they are born. By focusing in most of the curriculum we keep public schools from teaching other non-essential subjects.
So if anyone can show me in the common core where it tells me what's the MOST a child can learn, it would appreciate it.
It is agreed that "Children can't control where they are born."

Therefore, why do we label zip code 45066, as a rich school district that CAN afford to
pay More taxes so that Our highly paid School Athletic Director can hire additional staff (with our school tax dollars which are needed for classroom education to the benefit of all students)to be used instead to run an elite million dollar a year sports program?

Why do we have school employees running their mouths AGAINST Springboro Taxpayers for being TOO greedy to pass Increased Taxes school levies, so that Springboro Schools employees can be paid higher wages and compensation/benefits packages than school staff that work in zip code areas that educate children born in less wealthy communities?
Heres Why

Springboro, OH

#30229 Jan 28, 2014
Wonder Why wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore, why do we label zip code 45066, as a rich school district that CAN afford to
pay More taxes so that Our highly paid School Athletic Director can hire additional staff (with our school tax dollars which are needed for classroom education to the benefit of all students)to be used instead to run an elite million dollar a year sports program?
Why do we have school employees running their mouths AGAINST Springboro Taxpayers for being TOO greedy to pass Increased Taxes school levies, so that Springboro Schools employees can be paid higher wages and compensation/benefits packages than school staff that work in zip code areas that educate children born in less wealthy communities?
Now that the 2013 negotiations are finished, Maney has shifted away from the previous focus of current employees pay / compensation. He's now focusing on attempting to re-establish a bunch of useless elective courses so that more teachers may be hired. Of couse, the hiring of more teachers will mean more working revenue for the SEA.

Why do we have school employees running their mouths? That's an excellent question! Quite a number of students at our schools would like to know the answer to this as well.
Wonder Why

Springboro, OH

#30230 Jan 28, 2014
Heres Why wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that the 2013 negotiations are finished, Maney has shifted away from the previous focus of current employees pay / compensation. He's now focusing on attempting to re-establish a bunch of useless elective courses so that more teachers may be hired. Of couse, the hiring of more teachers will mean more working revenue for the SEA.
Why do we have school employees running their mouths? That's an excellent question! Quite a number of students at our schools would like to know the answer to this as well.
Thank You for your help.

Wonder why there were no questions asked regarding increasing the graduation credit requirements, by adding two more electives?

Wonder why newly elected Board of Education President, Mr.Charles Anderson, appointed retired educator and former under-performing SHS principal, Ron Malone, to the very important Curriculum and Budget board committees? Wonder if Mr. Anderson is aware of the true history of Mr. Malone's past failed practices and Mr. Malone's leadership weaknesses; now proven by his misallocation of district and taxpayer resources, using our program of studies to run the high school like a union shop, making up classes with scant demand to ensure employment for those union teachers whose skills were not in demand?

Of course, taxpayers have no need to wonder why the hiring of more teachers producing more revenue for the SEA..... simply put, it's all about the more money the SEA teachers earn, the more union dues (from taxpayers pockets) are paid, benefitting the local, state, national education associations with NEW MONEY streaming into the pockets of "big union" politicians political campaigns.
banker

Dayton, OH

#30231 Jan 28, 2014
with all the "geniuses" here, why are there so few viable candidates for school board ? Scraping the bottom of the pot for the MSA group is a prime example of "how low can you go".
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30232 Jan 28, 2014
Wonder Why wrote:
<quoted text>
First, still no answer to : So if anyone can show me in the common core where it tells me what's the MOST a child can learn, it would appreciate it.

Second. If you haven't notice this is a country ran on capitalism. Therefore money talks. Ask your question of The Ohio state university. Sports teams bring in money and visibility (esp. football). As long as capitalism rules the day, this will be the case.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30233 Jan 28, 2014
Wonder Why wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask him where the $438,000 supposedly recovered by the boosters would be found?
That $438,000 is but the tip of the iceberg and represents monies the parents of athletes made up when the man who was supposed to be looking out for them failed in his duties as principal at the high school.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30234 Jan 28, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
First, still no answer to : So if anyone can show me in the common core where it tells me what's the MOST a child can learn, it would appreciate it.
Second. If you haven't notice this is a country ran on capitalism. Therefore money talks. Ask your question of The Ohio state university. Sports teams bring in money and visibility (esp. football). As long as capitalism rules the day, this will be the case.
All state and federal education programs attempt to set a bar minimum bar. Unfortunately for the children, too many administrators view this as the penultimate in regards to their performance as well.

Free advertising that is generated by successful athletic programs is the cheapest form of positive advertising a school can get. Of course nothing is free, and one look at the balance sheets of many successful programs makes one blush with the cost of free.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30235 Jan 28, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
All state and federal education programs attempt to set a bar minimum bar. Unfortunately for the children, too many administrators view this as the penultimate in regards to their performance as well.
Free advertising that is generated by successful athletic programs is the cheapest form of positive advertising a school can get. Of course nothing is free, and one look at the balance sheets of many successful programs makes one blush with the cost of free.
Again (feeling repetitive) where does it state that their is a "top level" the student's can be taught? How does Common Core keep a certain district from excelling above the common core standard?

Successful athletic programs bring in money and notoriety to a school. This is the way a capitalist society works. The most money wins, you get what you pay for (unless you want to "jump the fence"). Some people look for a free ride. Like watching a football game from a hill instead of supporting their local athletic program.
The More You Know

Maineville, OH

#30236 Jan 28, 2014
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask him where the $438,000 supposedly recovered by the boosters would be found?
That $438,000 is but the tip of the iceberg and represents monies the parents of athletes made up when the man who was supposed to be looking out for them failed in his duties as principal at the high school.
Just curious, but where does it state that the athletic boosters fall under the supervision of the H.S. Principal? The Boosters support H.S. and J.H.S. teams.
HAHAHAHA

Springboro, OH

#30237 Jan 28, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Again (feeling repetitive) where does it state that their is a "top level" the student's can be taught? How does Common Core keep a certain district from excelling above the common core standard?
Successful athletic programs bring in money and notoriety to a school. This is the way a capitalist society works. The most money wins, you get what you pay for (unless you want to "jump the fence"). Some people look for a free ride. Like watching a football game from a hill instead of supporting their local athletic program.
You mean some people look for a free ride, like thieves who take money from others whose trust and confidence has been deceitfully won?

You mean like an under-performing high school principal gets elected to public office by name recognition in the community as being insanely popular?

Is that how the systems works?
HAHAHAHA

Springboro, OH

#30238 Jan 28, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious, but where does it state that the athletic boosters fall under the supervision of the H.S. Principal? The Boosters support H.S. and J.H.S. teams.
Just curious, but is it not a proven fact that the Boosters Officer greed led him to support himself quite generously stealing money from the H.S. and J.H.S. teams?

Same old story of the Boosters just like in the Schools.

More Money Isn't Needed; Just More Accountability.
amen

Springboro, OH

#30239 Jan 29, 2014
perspective wrote:
"Springboro Community City Schools are closed Tuesday Jan 28th due to dangerous wind chill temperatutures."
What ever happened to common sense? What ever happened to the type of parents who's send their children off to school with hats, scarves and gloves in conditions like this? Oh! That's right! I almost forgot! Most of these parents are our grandparents and great-grandparents, They're nice and warm on the other side of the grass.
Wow! I didn't know 3 degrees F could make so much of a difference!

-6 F Tuesday........Springboro Schools are closed
-3 F Wednesday...Springboro Schools on 2 Hr Delay

I'd say it's time school district decision makers like Sprinboro's John Pennell begin to tune out the perennial wimps on the Weather Channel. When the schools are closed for nothing more than cold temperatures, what kind of example are we sending our kids? When the schools are closed for nothing more than cold weather, what kind of message are we sending to our children about potential lucrative lifelong careers as linemen, pipefitters, electricians, etc?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30240 Jan 29, 2014
The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Springboro Policy #9210

Revised 8/10/93
Revised 11/28/06
Revised 3/27/07

Each parent and or support organization must obtain the approval of the Board as a prerequisite to organizing, and SHALL WORK within the appropriate school setting IN COOPERATION with the PRINCIPALS and other staff members and shall abide by the policies of the Board. Each group will submit its bylaws to the Superintendent or designee.

PRINCIPALS and staff members NEED TO WORK CLOSELY with the officers of all parent organizations to enhance the educational opportunities for students. The activities must be integrated and balanced in accordance with the total District educational program and District goals and objectives must comply with all State and local laws and regulations.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#30241 Jan 29, 2014
Ask Mr. Malone why the Board that existed in 2006 felt the need to revise this policy that sat dormant for 13 years previous. And then again revise the policy 4 months later.

Most policy revisions are reactions to past offenses, I wonder what prompted this revisiting?

Principals need to work closely with the officers of all parent organizations.....

Principals need to work closely with the officers of all parent organizations......

Principals need to work closely with the officers of all parent organizatons.....

How close does a principal need to be working to avoid the loss of say $1,000,000 plus?

Apparently a lot closer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 8 hr Pastor LDM 19,381
How much will Jeff Fowle's taxi ride cost us? 12 hr Dee3120 3
Test (Oct '10) Tue The Duke of Hazard 3
Leon Harrison brand urinal cakes (Jul '13) Tue The Duke of Hazard 20
Dayton-area defense firm fighting to keep $80M ... Tue The Old Cold Warrior 1
looking for a text buddy (Nov '12) Tue David 55
Where's all the old threads? Oct 20 The Duke of Hazard 2
Springboro Dating
Find my Match

Springboro Jobs

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info