Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
29,541 - 29,560 of 31,176 Comments Last updated Monday
whatcha wanna bet

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30075
Jan 20, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

3

John Parise wrote:
Wonder how long it will be before the union backed school board decides to screw the residents and put a new levy on the ballot.
I'm placing my wager that this new board, which is controlled by liberal socialist idealism, is aiming for May 5th, 2015 as the target date that they'll attempt a useless additional-millage levy to begin pulling money out of our wallets so that they're completely free to reconstruct a new updated version of the Baker-Detwiller-SEA public manipulation Borg.
Now do you believe us

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30076
Jan 20, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

3

We've been trying to tell you that Anderson is not a fan of the KPR era. You kept trying to pretend that it was your side's idea to put him on the board. He campaigned with Malone and Stuckey for a reason. Now your posts suggest that you are realizing that Anderson will not be all that supportive of the pizza guys. Get it now?
The More You Know

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30077
Jan 21, 2014
 

Judged:

5

5

4

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohi o/2013/06/17/grading-the-teach ers-analysis-shows-little-conn ection-between-pay-and-value-a dded-performance/
Grading the Teachers: Little Connection Between Teacher Pay and Performance
JUNE 17, 2013 | 6:15 AM
BY MOLLY BLOOM AND PATRICK O'DONNELL
4 CommentsEmail
LYNN ISCHAY / THE PLAIN DEALER
"There is little connection between how much money Ohio teachers make and how much knowledge they impart to students over the course of a single year, according to a StateImpact Ohio/Plain Dealer analysis of a new measure of teacher performance.
In fact, that analysis of state data shows that within many school districts, teachers who received the lowest grade in a key aspect of teacher performance known as value-added are paid more on average than teachers who earned the highest grade.
In order to TRUELY save money you ELIMINATE POSITIONS, anyone is business knows that. Paying a teacher more is FAR cheaper than hiring another one (no additional fringe).

I don't question the pay of the teachers, rather the number of teachers we have (teacher per pupil ratio). It's one of the reasons so many students are made to take study halls.

Not to mention lowering our criteria for the teachers we hire, as the previous BOE mentioned.
The More You Know

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30078
Jan 21, 2014
 

Judged:

6

6

6

Educate Springboro wrote:
Educate Springboro is a group dedicated to providing accurate information, as well as advocacy, for fiscal responsibility plus innovation in our school and local government.
Fresh ideas have allowed our district to sustain itself in an uncertain economy with NO new money required. We will continue to challenge the status quo where need be .... And that is a GOOD thing!
If YOU agree with putting Children First, PLEASE join Educate Springboro's Work In Progress for a Brighter Future for Our School Children and Community......
Visit http://educatespringboro.org
Please show your support for Our Children First AND The Progress made in the past two years And Renewal Levy that saves Springboro Families $6.5 million! Please join us and Share this information with others who believe in supporting the amount of necessary taxation required to do the job correctly! Children First Budget Works!
This "commercial message" is brought to you by the Political Action Committee - Educate Springboro, because they want you to give them your money instead of giving it to CHILDREN FIRST (i.e. your tax dollars).

This is the same PAC that was behind (from the beginning of their campaign) the 2 candidates that did not make the vote for the BOE. Money given seems to be well spent!
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30079
Jan 21, 2014
 

Judged:

5

5

5

The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to TRUELY save money you ELIMINATE POSITIONS, anyone is business knows that. Paying a teacher more is FAR cheaper than hiring another one (no additional fringe).
I don't question the pay of the teachers, rather the number of teachers we have (teacher per pupil ratio). It's one of the reasons so many students are made to take study halls.
Not to mention lowering our criteria for the teachers we hire, as the previous BOE mentioned.
Spoken by someone who truly knows nothing of how business operates.

It is not how much you spend, but rather how much your receive in return for every dollar invested.

Paying too much is not guarantee of quality or value, just as the converse is true, paying too little is no guarantee of saving money or gaining value.

When I went to school we had consistently between 28 and 36 kids per class. The level of intelligence per class ran the gamut from not so bright to really sharp. The difference between then and now is the amount of actual work that was done each day, some teachers still abide by that model, many others seem to follow another path.

My son has a Spanish teacher who follows the former and expects her students to perform. She provides each parent a syllabus of this week's expectations. She was also the only teacher I noted who addressed the shorter teaching schedule and said this did not abrogate her responsibility to teach the entire curriculum in the time allotted. She said no time could be wasted and we had to make every minute count. And she has, near as I can tell.

This is an example of value and this woman should be paid more for the job she is doing.

On the flip side of the coin is the number of teachers who teach via worksheets and "group" study while they peruse their email and text messages or some other form of entertainment.
Or they show 4 or 5 movies, "Finding Nemo" or "The Day After Tomorrow" (Hollywood's take on climate change), further shortening the school year by 10 days a semester.

You could have 10 children or 40 in this class, the value return is the same, low.

If you disparage every teacher that is hired today as a chump, you do a disservice to all who are not, and they make up the bulk of new teachers hired.

One of the main reasons so many take an extra study hall at the high school is because we have failed to challenge them academically for so long they think that their senior year is for coasting home with little or no effort. This is a culture of failure that has been inculcated upon our children by years of an administration bent on making school "fun."

Why do we have a program that allows children to not take final exams if they so desire? Because it was about getting our attendance numbers up so we could ensure the flow of money from the state. We are reimbursed by the state based upon the number of students who come through our doors every day.

Who ever heard of allowing students to forgo the final exams to test their accumulated knowledge for the sake of attendance numbers?

Our schools have become for some large corporate, social welfare agencies designed to provide employment rather than educate our children.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30080
Jan 21, 2014
 

Judged:

6

5

4

Now do you believe us wrote:
We've been trying to tell you that Anderson is not a fan of the KPR era. You kept trying to pretend that it was your side's idea to put him on the board. He campaigned with Malone and Stuckey for a reason. Now your posts suggest that you are realizing that Anderson will not be all that supportive of the pizza guys. Get it now?
You ethnic slurs are rather endearing in white pillowcase hooded sort of way.

Mr. Anderson is still a business man with ethics, intelligence, and a level head.

Why would anyone not support such a man for a job that requires all three?

I would hope Mr. Anderson is for the best interests of all of our children and all of our community first and foremost.
reality

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30081
Jan 21, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

3

The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
This "commercial message" is brought to you by the Political Action Committee - Educate Springboro, because they want you to give them your money instead of giving it to CHILDREN FIRST (i.e. your tax dollars).
This is the same PAC that was behind (from the beginning of their campaign) the 2 candidates that did not make the vote for the BOE. Money given seems to be well spent!
The worst mistake this district could ever make would be ballooning the number of classes back to the irresponsible point it was prior to the arrival of KPR. In additition to being grossly under-attended, a lot of the cancelled courses had poorly constructed curricula. In the past, our kids have told us such classes serve as last minute "go-to's" for kids who feel they need to bail out of a class they're struggling with. Perhaps a higher percentage of Boro students will think about sticking it out, staying in their class, and seeking tutoring asisstance if so many less-than-useful "go to's" aren't available.
School District Voter

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30082
Jan 21, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I would hope that each Parent who has a child enrolled in Springboro Schools would get informed, get involved, and stay engaged in the business of a quality classroom education due to each child in this district that our Springboro Taxpayers are already funding.
Contrary to the indoctrination of OSBA membership, our school district does not need more money; we need more accountability.

I would hope that our Springboro parents who don't just go along to get along, for S-U-R-E,
would get involved in the new parents group with the high school principal; attend the school superintendent's parent district council meeting (even if they are not the building principal's pick of two). I would hope that Springboro parents and all concerned citizens would stay alert and sound the alarm to our board president, Mr. Anderson, and our board vice-president, Mr. Malone, when we see our elected officials closing their minds to those of us reform-minded common sense voters. It is the responsibility of all five elected officials to listen to the needs of the school community, in addition to listening to their taxpaying constituents. It isn't an either/ nor/ or/ situation; It is a must that both sides (school employees and community taxpayers work together so that BOTH sides WIN on all issues (we know it can be done as proven by Increased pay for All School Employees and Reduced renewal levy taxes for all Springboro families). So why would educated Springboro families NOT fight mightily in opposition to passing a New Tax Increase on our family homes?

Contrary to Mr. Malone's biggest concern that our school tax dollars should be used to put the re-emphasis on the educator; I believe our biggest concern, community-wide, is staying on course in the direction of our school district's financial sustainability, working within the framework of our children first budget five year forecast through 2017, with no new money needed.

After the January 9th board meeting decisions that were made by our Three newly elected BOE officials, concerned citizens can clearly see the contrast between Mr. Anderson, Mr. Malone, and Mr. Stuckey AND Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano. It appears now that we do have the out of balance Three board members who are all about the work they do as OSBA members, working against our Two board members that are all about the work they have done and the progress made in the last two years.

We could say that our school community of employees and our community of taxpayers are now unevenly yoked, and since we are all fully vested in the interest of our education business in Springboro, we have to go along with each other; but with constant irritation and friction because common sense voters will not just go along to get along. There is greater division in our board room now than in 2007 when the LAST new money levy was passed.
And with board members who are honest with taxpayers about what is needed for a quality classroom education through 2017, there is NO reason for our new board members to propose that Increased Taxes are needed from Springboro taxpayers for many years to come.
The More You Know

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30083
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken by someone who truly knows nothing of how business operates.
You're wrong. I work for a global company and have contact with several managers as well as attending seminars on the subject.

How can you say that giving someone a 5% raise is not cheaper than onboarding a new employee?

I can tell you a bad business decision, throwing money at signs and mailings that had NO bearing on the outcome of an election that could have been better spent (donated) elsewhere.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30084
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

2

The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. I work for a global company and have contact with several managers as well as attending seminars on the subject.
How can you say that giving someone a 5% raise is not cheaper than onboarding a new employee?
I can tell you a bad business decision, throwing money at signs and mailings that had NO bearing on the outcome of an election that could have been better spent (donated) elsewhere.
Dear Less You Know,

The more you write the more you illustrate how little awareness you possess in certain areas.

The fact that you work for a global company means what precisely to this conversation?
The fact that several managers speak with you on occasion offers what, your need for constant supervision? Attending seminars on what subject? Fortunately or unfortunately we cannot read your mind to ascertain of what you speak .

Your point of giving someone a raise does not in any way, shape, or form constitute a point for or against anything. It provides no background information with which to evaluate its relevance.

How someone wishes to expend their capital resources is for them to decide. Whether or not you agree or disagree with its use is of no consequence.

Thanks for writing.
Kohls on 700 WLW

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30085
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

4

The link below a Jan 21st half hour podcast featuring Springboro's Kelly Kohls on 700WLW-AM Marc Amazon show about fundamental issues with school boards in America's public schools.

http://www.700wlw.com/media/podcast-marc-amaz...

One of my favorite quotes from this interview....
"I didn't seek office as part of a popularity contest, I did it because I was going to be honest."
What a pity Mr. Malone cannot honestly make claim to this!
Get Real

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30086
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Kohls on 700 WLW wrote:
The link below a Jan 21st half hour podcast featuring Springboro's Kelly Kohls on 700WLW-AM Marc Amazon show about fundamental issues with school boards in America's public schools.
http://www.700wlw.com/media/podcast-marc-amaz...
One of my favorite quotes from this interview....
"I didn't seek office as part of a popularity contest, I did it because I was going to be honest."
What a pity Mr. Malone cannot honestly make claim to this!
No pity party due Mr. Malone!

But honestly, isn't it time for concerned Springboro parents to make claim against Mr. Malone's dishonesty of spreading lies about Kelly Kohls, David Petroni, and Jim Rigano, throughout our schools, neighborhoods, and churches during his March 2012 Vote for Revenge against opening up his status quo leadership as SHS principal to the New Opportunities in service to our schools and community that were presented to him in the job offer to district office?

Isn't it time to start that petition signing of community members requesting that Mr.Malone
step down form board authority leadership; now that his True History as under-performing insanely popular principal proves that Mr. Malone refused to Stand Up for Students First, running our SHS like a union shop.

Inquiring minds question if our new board president, Mr. Anderson, actually supports Mr. Malone's dishonesty in leading our SHS students in a community-wide "Pity Party" protest against board authority in March 2012; as Mr.Malone dishonestly manufactured his false crisis of being victim of the Three BOE elected officials and our school district's new Vision of Reform for our 21st Century Students First Quality Classroom Education; as mandated by the State Department of Education?

The More You Know

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30087
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Less You Know,
The more you write the more you illustrate how little awareness you possess in certain areas.
The point is I have attended seminars, meetings, etc. They talk about or business (which is expansive on 3 continents) and the bottom line is that to cut employees is the main way for a company to save money. You know, downsizing. I am involved with everything from HR to AP and I hear the same thing over and over.

Exactly what is your expertise?

I would agree that one can do what they want with their money, by the same toke people should be allowed to vote and think the way they want without having the same old repetitive jargin that is posted on this site OVER AND OVER.

I still think you money would have been better spent elsewhere, it's my opinion and according to you, I'm entitled to it.
Do the Math

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30088
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

4

4

2

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
No pity party due Mr. Malone!
But honestly, isn't it time for concerned Springboro parents to make claim against Mr. Malone's dishonesty of spreading lies about Kelly Kohls, David Petroni, and Jim Rigano, throughout our schools, neighborhoods, and churches during his March 2012 Vote for Revenge against opening up his status quo leadership as SHS principal to the New Opportunities in service to our schools and community that were presented to him in the job offer to district office?
Isn't it time to start that petition signing of community members requesting that Mr.Malone
step down form board authority leadership; now that his True History as under-performing insanely popular principal proves that Mr. Malone refused to Stand Up for Students First, running our SHS like a union shop.
Inquiring minds question if our new board president, Mr. Anderson, actually supports Mr. Malone's dishonesty in leading our SHS students in a community-wide "Pity Party" protest against board authority in March 2012; as Mr.Malone dishonestly manufactured his false crisis of being victim of the Three BOE elected officials and our school district's new Vision of Reform for our 21st Century Students First Quality Classroom Education; as mandated by the State Department of Education?
Let me see, Dr. Malone, Mr. Stuckey and Mr. Anderson all received over 79% of the votes and you are talking about having a petition circulated to ask Dr. Malone to step down from the Board??? Are you crazy!?
The voters spoke - loudly and clearly! They wanted change, honesty, ethics, sound thinking and rational decisions! AND they got it with the three being elected!
Good luck to you and your 'petition'.
The Gannon FIle

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30089
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Hey, vote down levies, so the kids become Purdue Shooters!
The More You Know

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30090
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Do the Math wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me see, Dr. Malone, Mr. Stuckey and Mr. Anderson all received over 79% of the votes and you are talking about having a petition circulated to ask Dr. Malone to step down from the Board??? Are you crazy!?
The voters spoke - loudly and clearly! They wanted change, honesty, ethics, sound thinking and rational decisions! AND they got it with the three being elected!
Good luck to you and your 'petition'.
Only the insanely popular would call it crazy if voters demand that Mr. Malone step down because we don't think that he has applied honesty, ethics, sound thinking, and rational decisions "as the man who led our school district as high school principal for the past 13 years.... The More You Know about the True History of Mr. Malone's past failed practices and misallocation of district and taxpayer resources..... the more you know that Malone has to go....

It doesn't take luck..... it just takes "staying to the task" doing what's right for our school children and community.
All Done

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30092
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Do the Math wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me see, Dr. Malone, Mr. Stuckey and Mr. Anderson all received over 79% of the votes and you are talking about having a petition circulated to ask Dr. Malone to step down from the Board??? Are you crazy!?
The voters spoke - loudly and clearly! They wanted change, honesty, ethics, sound thinking and rational decisions! AND they got it with the three being elected!
Good luck to you and your 'petition'.
All done with the math! Only thing proven is that Ron Malone can fool 79% of the people all the time during his Two Year Campaign Against Our School district's Vision of Reform, and win his vote for revenge school board election on his name recognition as being insanely popular in the community.

Mr. Malone did not win school board election on approval of his past poor performances as high school principal; because his true history was not on the ballot on November 5, 2013; only Ron Malone's name recognition; and we all know that just means "insanely popular."
dontcha love unionlogic

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30093
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

1

The Gannon FIle wrote:
Hey, vote down levies, so the kids become Purdue Shooters!
Thank you so much for these tremendous words o' wisdom. So sorry about your obvious inability to recover from being tossed out of Springboro High's debate club, oh so long ago.

Explaining the fallacy of faulty analogy...
http://www.txstate.edu/philosophy/resources/f...
The More You Know

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30094
Jan 22, 2014
 

Judged:

2

1

1

All Done wrote:
<quoted text>
All done with the math! Only thing proven is that Ron Malone can fool 79% of the people all the time during his Two Year Campaign Against Our School district's Vision of Reform, and win his vote for revenge school board election on his name recognition as being insanely popular in the community.
Mr. Malone did not win school board election on approval of his past poor performances as high school principal; because his true history was not on the ballot on November 5, 2013; only Ron Malone's name recognition; and we all know that just means "insanely popular."
Well said. And the people said Amen!
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30095
Jan 23, 2014
 

Judged:

2

2

2

The More You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is I have attended seminars, meetings, etc. They talk about or business (which is expansive on 3 continents) and the bottom line is that to cut employees is the main way for a company to save money. You know, downsizing. I am involved with everything from HR to AP and I hear the same thing over and over.
Exactly what is your expertise?
I would agree that one can do what they want with their money, by the same toke people should be allowed to vote and think the way they want without having the same old repetitive jargin that is posted on this site OVER AND OVER.
I still think you money would have been better spent elsewhere, it's my opinion and according to you, I'm entitled to it.
A business cannot "save" its way to prosperity, it must produce something that generates more than the sum of its raw materials cost.

The primary reason for downsizing the human resources is because these individuals are not needed for the efficient production of the company's product. Monies that could be better invested elsewhere in the company are simply reallocated to generate better returns to the bottom line. Or some companies simply become bloated on the HR side by changes in business situations, technology changes, or just getting too comfortable. Sooner or later the market will tell that company to adjust or die.

You are certainly entitled to you opinion, regardless of how ill informed it may be, and are free to ignore whatever information you wish.

If you would care to debate the points I have made regarding our school system, please feel free, I welcome the opportunity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 min truth told 18,742
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 11 min Pops 30,181
Concealed carry in Boro's schools - not a matte... (Jul '13) 18 min Student 4 Conceal... 66
This is why I am an Ann Fan! 31 min Ann Fan 1
Nonprofit plans major headquarters expansion do... 2 hr The Hack Checker 1
Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 hr Marvin Levels 188
Ambulance, fire levy sparks debate in Ohio (Feb '13) 5 hr IdontKNOW 2,036

Search the Springboro Forum:
•••
•••
Springboro Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••