Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,279

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Decertify your union

Springboro, OH

#29379 Nov 22, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to THANK THE TEACHERS. 50+ students scoring over a 30 is something to be proud of. Most of these kids were attending high school with Dr. Malone at the helm and Mr. Stuckey teaching and still they were able to overcome(lol). Tells you something about how some people have NO IDEA what they are talking about. Those numbers seem pretty PROFICIENT.
What this proves is that our students will rise above no matter who is at the helm and in spite of who keeps them down. This could have been 100 students though.

I believe parents have learned that this union run school is not giving what the kids need and the parents are supplementing a poor education causing excellence. My only sadness is that we would give any of these teachers union bullies credit. Teachers your union is making you look bad. Get out, get a religious excuse to get out or decertify! You will get far more respect from parents, kids and society in general if you decertify your union. Other schools are doing it. Your union elected Barack Insane Obama- we blame all of you for that, your union has failed these poor children, victims of your forced indoctrination to reject their Christian, capitolism, moral, patriotic heritage. Your choice is to continue to support this??? This makes you look like you are part of it. We will never support you when you support the legal plunder of our kids and their future.
Decertify your union

Springboro, OH

#29380 Nov 22, 2013
<quoted text>
If you're going to quote, please get it right and in context.
"It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If 'is' means 'is and never has been' that's one thing - if it means 'there is none', that was a completely true statement." - Bill Clinton
(Didn't your parents teach you good study habits?)
Everyone calm down, he never had sexual relations with that woman.
He only left his imprint on that dress.
Why she did not burn it immediately after is also disturbing. Democrats, left wing extremism must drive people to do gross things and then keep the memento forever. Greg, Sarah, Jason, Bowman is this your guy? Your record speaks volumes of who you support and why you oppose Christian principles. You are truly the phonies of Springboro. Obama and Clintons-we got it now.
No debate means No choice

Xenia, OH

#29381 Nov 22, 2013
A Khatibloo-McClellan wrote:
<quoted text>
So color me crazy, but if the athletic department is short $250K, isn't that a result of the lack of planning (i.e. fiscal planning) of the current board (who were also the BOE at the time)? I believe the BOE required a "zero balanced budget" of every department. And Oh! But Wait! Didn't the BOE also reduce pay-to-participate because they had balanced the budget? I'm pretty damned sure I heard that more than once. So what the hell happened? I'm not quite sure because I wasn't at the BOE meeting this week; however, if you want to assign blame, let's start with the group who were GUNG HO about how transparently responsible they were with our tax dollars.
Maybe a reduced levy wasn't what was needed.

Fail for Children's First Budgeting....
quotes to live by

Springboro, OH

#29382 Nov 22, 2013
In a DDN article 2009 Babb says” While recognizing the bad feelings some residents have about the district, Lisa Babb of Neighbors for Springboro Schools urged voters to focus "on the things that are important: educating our kids."

"It's very easy to sit back and not agree," she added.

Babb joined the levy campaign after the board proposed shifting half-day kindergarten to all-day kindergarten on alternate days.(So when it effected her)

"I became upset in December and realized I needed to be more than upset, and get involved in helping make change happen," Babb said .

In hopes of swaying voters, Babb organized a town hall meeting earlier this week.

And while sensitive to people struggling financially, Babb said some district taxpayers — who she sees in stores and restaurants — simply need to reset their priorities.
"It's how you choose to spend your money," she said. "Let's just look at the kids at this point."
Remember Mrs. Babb is a teacher
Take; You have not bled or felt the pain enough

Xenia, OH

#29383 Nov 22, 2013
Decertify your union wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone calm down, he never had sexual relations with that woman.
He only left his imprint on that dress.
Why she did not burn it immediately after is also disturbing. Democrats, left wing extremism must drive people to do gross things and then keep the memento forever. Greg, Sarah, Jason, Bowman is this your guy? Your record speaks volumes of who you support and why you oppose Christian principles. You are truly the phonies of Springboro. Obama and Clintons-we got it now.
And how many of our troops were put in harms way over the lie Clinton told? Was any witness waterboarded?

I suppose you support deploying our troops in the name of WMD that didn't exist.
Decertify your union

Springboro, OH

#29384 Nov 22, 2013
Boro Future Brighter wrote:
The true history of a man through official documents has now proven that it is not as golden as you have been led to believe;
yielding a "black" mark on our excellent with distinction school district of a "D" grade on gifted intervention and "C" grade on the lowest 20% in achievement from state.
As status quo Malone moves on up to the board room, our future looks much brighter now that his narrow tunnel vision can be broadened by our reform-minded board members and community taxpayers.
By proven record of Malone's past employment in our school district, Taxpayers can expect Malone's resistance to change
and the need for Taxpayers to repeatedly request of Mr. Malone
to utilize his ABILITY to get on board with our current board's
winning agenda of Children's First Budgeting with our school tax dollars.
IT DOESN'T TAKE MORE MONEY...IT JUST TAKES
ACCOUNTABILITY.
Special Thanks to our current board members
Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, David Petroni, Don Miller
and Wendy Kull!
Special Thanks to our school Superintendent, Mr. Petrey, and our school district leaders!
"Where the board's at right now is wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility," Petrey said in a DDN article, "That's what I stand for."
Thank You for choosing to serve our school children and our community, making Springboro
a better place to live, work, learn, and play
sports, putting Students First, while maintaining fiscal integrity.
Are you serious, a D for 40% of our students? So what I said above is even more true. Malone kept our kids down, can you imagine what it would be if we had good leadership at the HS. We could have had 100 students get 30 and above on the ACT. In fact, 40% of our grads should be getting a 30 and above on the ACT. Parents this means that you will finally get some scholarship money. A 30 and above means your students gets money, financial assistance for college even though they are white. Being white is typically a disadvantage for the money.
Bleeding

Springboro, OH

#29385 Nov 22, 2013
<quoted text>
And how many of our troops were put in harms way over the lie Clinton told? Was any witness waterboarded?
I suppose you support deploying our troops in the name of WMD that didn't exist.
Can you say 911? Maybe Clinton should have deployed more defense, intel, and anything other than his pants doing the thinking.

Xenia, OH

#29386 Nov 22, 2013
Bleeding wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you say 911? Maybe Clinton should have deployed more defense, intel, and anything other than his pants doing the thinking.
No link between Bin Laden and Iraq...

Also, he didn't deploy his pants and to that matter his pants wasn't what he was thinking with.

There are some (affiliated with the tea party) that believe 9/11 was an inside job.
Inquiring Minds

Springboro, OH

#29387 Nov 22, 2013
Inquiring minds are asking all over town exactly what Mr.Malone meant by his campaign pledge,
if elected, to "re-define the role of the board member...?"

Based on public records of Mr. Malone's running our high school like a union shop..

can we now expect to see in the board room
intent to "re-instate Malone's misalloaction of district and taxpayer resources?"

can taxpayers now expect to see Malone's INABILITY to utilize his past experience to work with ALL
board members as a TEAM of Professionals, putting our Students First?

can taxpayers now expect that Malone will bully his "micro-managing" upon school district leaders to "make up classes" with scant demand to ensure employment for those whose skills are not in demand?

just asking around town what pro-levy, union first, retired educator, Mr. Malone, means by
his pldege to "re-define the role of the board member" some parents for sure have had this
to say...

"It is like asking the fox to audit the hen house
to see if the chickens should continue to be used for eggs or served up for dinner."
Fair And Balanced

Springboro, OH

#29388 Nov 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Maybe a reduced levy wasn't what was needed.
Fail for Children's First Budgeting....
Stay Alert Voters... don't be misled by those whose status
quo failed practices of the past lead only in the direction of
No Common Sense.

Let's Stay the Course supporting the progress made in the
last two years, with reform-minded fresh ideas of Renewal
Levy Saving Taxpayers $6.5 million, with NO NEW TAXES needed.

Failure of the Boosters' Board to live within THEIR means of
reduced pay to play fees, trying to overcome the big financial
set-back of the Boosters Board Officers' theft and big loss
of TRUST from the community as a whole LED to the athletic
funding gap... throwing our kids sports program, under
our NEW athltic director's watch, into BANKRUPTCY!

Don't YOU remember in July 2012 when our current board first
uncovered this financial "mis-step" that Taxpayers were told at public school board meeting that the Athetic Boosters Board was an "outside business" and that the school board had NO business in the Boosters business?

Well,now that the ATHLETIC FUND IS BANKRUPT and asking Taxpayers to ADVANCE $250,000 to PAY UP THE BILLS THAT THEY RAN UP (with no
accountability for their irresponsible spending)....

THE TIME HAS NOW COME TO TELL THE TRUTH THAT OUR CHILDREN'S
FIRST BUDGTING is leading our school district ....
in the direction of sustainability, while living within our
community means, with NO NEW TAXES!

that of E Y 150,BOOSTER
CELEBRATE OUR SUCCESS

Springboro, OH

#29389 Nov 22, 2013
... in the direction of Sustainability!

WE ARE meeting AND exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. WE ARE building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings -- WE ARE
putting children first.

Most IMPORTANT, we are being honest about what is NEEDED through 2017. This is REFORM at the LOCAL
level, and this IS working together toward sustainability!

Thanks AND Appreciation are due to our current board members, Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, David
Petroni, Don Miller and Wendy Kull!
Thank You, Mr. Petrey, and school district staff
for choosing to serve our schools and community!
You ARE Appreciated!

OPetrPElly
Come Grow With Us

Springboro, OH

#29390 Nov 22, 2013
...In the Direction of OPPORTUNITY!

When we combine common sense spending with the strong performance of our schools, we provide opportunities for everyone--our students, teachers, families and our community.

From the district's aging computers, buses and buildings to new Common Core curriculum and rising expectations with new standards, tresting, evaluation systems, the status quo is not equipped to meet the challenges that our school district faces. Educate Springboro reaches past the status quo. As we examine district operations and use achievement data, we are creating opportunity, directing more resources to students and more tools to teachers.

Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners
welcome our new school board members, Mr.Anderson,
Mr. Malone, Mr. Stuckey, and encourage each one
of you to get on board with our current board's
direction of leadership...in full support of the
progress that has been made the past two years!

When we all work together TODAY, our school children, school staff, and community members
are headed in the direction of a brighter future
TOMORROW!
Reject Forced Unionism

Springboro, OH

#29391 Nov 22, 2013
Decertify your union wrote:
<quoted text>
What this proves is that our students will rise above no matter who is at the helm and in spite of who keeps them down. This could have been 100 students though.
I believe parents have learned that this union run school is not giving what the kids need and the parents are supplementing a poor education causing excellence. My only sadness is that we would give any of these teachers union bullies credit. Teachers your union is making you look bad. Get out, get a religious excuse to get out or decertify! You will get far more respect from parents, kids and society in general if you decertify your union. Other schools are doing it. Your union elected Barack Insane Obama- we blame all of you for that, your union has failed these poor children, victims of your forced indoctrination to reject their Christian, capitolism, moral, patriotic heritage. Your choice is to continue to support this??? This makes you look like you are part of it. We will never support you when you support the legal plunder of our kids and their future.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Ohio can no longer AFFORD the luxury of public sector collective bargaining. From 2000 to today, Ohio's private sector has lost a net of 612,700 jobs. That means there are over 600,000 fewer workers whose activities generated tax revenues to fund government. During that same period of time, Ohio lost a net of only 1,600 government jobs. That means 613,000 fewer workers today are paying for
roughly the same size government Ohio had ten years ago in terms of employees. From January 1990 to February 2011, Ohio netted a mere 102,000 private sector jobs and 62,100 government.

Even our status quo tunnel vision liberals on the left should be able to see that our Humpty Dumpty top heavy union government
is headed for a great big fall; and guess who gets hurt the
most? With collective bargainin, schools facing fiscal emergencies must cut programs and staff, which only hurts children and younger, BUT POTENTIALLY BETTER, teachers!

With collective bargaining, the state must cut programs serving the poor and middle class, the group of Ohioans already hit hardest by the economic, mayors must cut staffing levels, which undermine our public safety and the careers of young officers and firefighters.

And what is the same old tired solution to these never ending financial woes of collective bargaining kind? You betcha there is
just one solution on the minds of our pro-union levy lovers:
Raise taxes on businesses and rich Ohioans. Ohio already has the seventh highest state and local tax burden and Ohio homewoners already have an average of twenty-five levies on their property.

Does any reasonable, common sense person really believe that higher taxes and more levies will restore our lost prosperity?
In homes across Ohio, reduced incomes mean spending CUTS!
Why should government be any different?
hello Mr Obvious

Springboro, OH

#29392 Nov 22, 2013
Glass houses wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, your spelling, grammar, and punctuation are atrocious, so I find it quite ironic that you would point out an error in someone else's post. And for the record, "their" is a PRONOUN, not an adjective. I must have had better parents than you according to your post.
This brings me to another point. Yes, many -- even most -- students who are at the top of their (there's that pesky pronoun again...a possessive pronoun to be exact) classes have involved parents. Guess what? Not all do. What about them? Some students got screwed in the parent department, and their teachers are the only ones who care about their educations. Teachers perform miracles every day, often in those low-level classes you speak so poorly of. It's a big deal when Johnny gets his low-level English credit and can actually graduate, even though he came from parents who didn't care. The teacher played a critical role in that child's life, and frankly I don't care if it's only one student (even though it isn't). He was worth it. That same teacher may have helped Sam improve his ACT score by one point, but that one point allowed him to get into MIT, the school of his dreams. One point is no big deal, right? It was to Sam. Fortunately, he had parents who pushed him and helped create the foundation, but perhaps it was the teacher who gave that all-important final push. My kids have had excellent teachers in Springboro. I'm an involved parent, but I'm only one piece of the puzzle. Sadly, in some cases, the teacher is the only piece of the puzzle for some kids. Just because this isn't YOUR experience, doesn't mean that this isn't how our world is.
No Debate's misspelling of "thier" is in a attributive modifier (adjective) application. So sorry to knock your croquet ball into the bushes.
Glass Houses

Springboro, OH

#29393 Nov 22, 2013
hello Mr Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
No Debate's misspelling of "thier" is in a attributive modifier (adjective) application. So sorry to knock your croquet ball into the bushes.
Lol, I see you had to use Google! Yes, it is functioning as a modifier, but IT IS NOT AN ADJECTIVE. Not all modifiers are adjectives, dimwit. It is a possessive pronoun functioning as a modifier. Oh, looks like I found my croquet ball...and won. My point is that in most of your posts you massacre the English language and have no place correcting anyone else. Leave it at that before you further embarrass yourself.
Glass Houses

Springboro, OH

#29394 Nov 22, 2013
The Record Speaks Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
And just because your one voice, one vote, one piece of the puzzle
FITS your needs in YOUR world; it doesn't justify the former SHS principal, Ron Malone's misallocation of ALL district and ALL taxpayer resources, making up classes with scant demant to ensure employment for those whose skills were not in demand. This tactic ROBBED resources from areas of GREATER need in the district.
Those who suffered the most were the gifted and those in need of early intervention. The Record Speaks Truth revealing for our
excellent with distinction school district a "D" grade on gifted intervention and "C" grade on the lowest 20% in achievement from
State... and that means 20% of our students were not getting the
quality education for which ALL COMMUNITY TAXPAYERS are paying.
Quite the contrary. The high school principal (Malone or whomever) is completely justified in offering low-level courses. It is a PUBLIC school - do you understand that concept? We have an obligation to educate all of our students, no matter their (pronoun) academic needs. If you are telling us that there aren't enough resources to educate low-level students, gifted students, and those in need of early intervention, then why in earth did we not seek the full renewal? It doesn't have to be that anyone "robbed" resources from another area - how about we should have enough to meet all of the needs? Instead you "rah rah rah! We reduced taxes" then in the next breath you say that the needs of gifted students aren't being met but "it's all Malone's fault!" I would have happily spent a bit more in taxes to ensure all I the students were getting the courses, intervention, etc. that they need.
Waste Watchers

Springboro, OH

#29395 Nov 22, 2013
Glass Houses wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite the contrary. The high school principal (Malone or whomever) is completely justified in offering low-level courses. It is a PUBLIC school - do you understand that concept? We have an obligation to educate all of our students, no matter their (pronoun) academic needs. If you are telling us that there aren't enough resources to educate low-level students, gifted students, and those in need of early intervention, then why in earth did we not seek the full renewal? It doesn't have to be that anyone "robbed" resources from another area - how about we should have enough to meet all of the needs? Instead you "rah rah rah! We reduced taxes" then in the next breath you say that the needs of gifted students aren't being met but "it's all Malone's fault!" I would have happily spent a bit more in taxes to ensure all I the students were getting the courses, intervention, etc. that they need.
It doesn't take more money; It takes more accountability.
Mr. Malone reluctantly resisted accountability to his boss, Mr. Lolli, and ignored recommendations that could have raised the bar
for our students, and "it's all Malone's fault" that district and taxpayer resources were wasted, along with lost opportunity of individual higher academic achievement.
Public records (which are availabe to the public upon request)
prove that Malone's poor job performance is most definitely
"all Malone's fault." Whose else could it be?

Let's look at Today and the Future with new optomism that
Mr. Malone can be led, by example of the other board members,
to utilize his abilities putting students first while maintaining fiscal integrity. It doesn't take more money; It takes more
accountability.

The time has now come for Mr. Malone (and his campaign supporters) to leave behind the status quo failed practices of his PAST, running our SHS like a union shop, misallocaitng district and taxpayer resources. As just one member of a professional TEAM, can Mr. Malone get on board with our current board's reform minded vision for our children's 21st century education; OR will he continue behaving as a school yard bully out for revenge,pretending to be the "Victim", demanding constant attention of praise and worship for himself, as the insanely popular Ron Malone, who once was a high school princiPAL?
What a waste of 41 years of experience is that?
Come Grow With Us

Springboro, OH

#29396 Nov 22, 2013
WE BELIEVE in order to deliver the highest level of education we must raise the bar well past the state minimums and strive to challenge our children, parents, and staff to reach higher.

WE BELIEVE we can and must do better, Our children's future depends on our actions today!

WE BELIEVE that our newly-elected board members can each ONE learn how to use each one's individual skills to work together as a TEAM member with our school district leaders and current board representatives.

WE BELIEVE that each one of our Five board members can be proud of personal success....but RECOGNIZE that there's something especially WONDERFUL about
being part of a BOE TEAM that can successfully
put students first while maintining fiscal intgrity, building for the future on the progress made in the past years.

Congratulations to school board members-elect,
Charles Anderson, Ron Malone, David Stuckey!

WE BELIEVE, THAT YOU BELIEVE AS WE BELIEVE, IN
WANTING THE HIGHEST ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT FOR ALL STUDENTS WHILE LIVING WITHIN OUR CHILDREN'S FIRST BUDGET GUIDELINES.

That's what Springboro Families and Taxpaying Homeowners stand for; And we stand ready to
work WITH our school board and school district leaders putting our children's 21st century education first with our hard earned school tax dollars!

"The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime."
-Babe Ruth
Reject Forced Unionism

Springboro, OH

#29397 Nov 22, 2013
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Ohio can no longer AFFORD the luxury of public sector collective bargaining. From 2000 to today, Ohio's private sector has lost a net of 612,700 jobs. That means there are over 600,000 fewer workers whose activities generated tax revenues to fund government. During that same period of time, Ohio lost a net of only 1,600 government jobs. That means 613,000 fewer workers today are paying for
roughly the same size government Ohio had ten years ago in terms of employees. From January 1990 to February 2011, Ohio netted a mere 102,000 private sector jobs and 62,100 government.

Even our status quo tunnel vision liberals on the left should be able to see that our Humpty Dumpty top heavy union government
is headed for a great big fall; and guess who gets hurt the
most? With collective bargainin, schools facing fiscal emergencies must cut programs and staff, which only hurts children and younger, BUT POTENTIALLY BETTER, teachers!

With collective bargaining, the state must cut programs serving the poor and middle class, the group of Ohioans already hit hardest by the economic, mayors must cut staffing levels, which undermine our public safety and the careers of young officers and firefighters.

And what is the same old tired solution to these never ending financial woes of collective bargaining kind? You betcha there is
just one solution on the minds of our pro-union levy lovers:
Raise taxes on businesses and rich Ohioans. Ohio already has the seventh highest state and local tax burden and Ohio homewoners already have an average of twenty-five levies on their property.

Does any reasonable, common sense person really believe that higher taxes and more levies will restore our lost prosperity?
In homes across Ohio, reduced incomes mean spending CUTS!
Why should government be any different?

IT DOESN'T TAKE MORE MONEY; IT TAKES ACCOUNTABLE.
Glass Houses

Springboro, OH

#29398 Nov 22, 2013
Waste Watchers wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't take more money; It takes more accountability.
Mr. Malone reluctantly resisted accountability to his boss, Mr. Lolli, and ignored recommendations that could have raised the bar
for our students, and "it's all Malone's fault" that district and taxpayer resources were wasted, along with lost opportunity of individual higher academic achievement.
Public records (which are availabe to the public upon request)
prove that Malone's poor job performance is most definitely
"all Malone's fault." Whose else could it be?
Let's look at Today and the Future with new optomism that
Mr. Malone can be led, by example of the other board members,
to utilize his abilities putting students first while maintaining fiscal integrity. It doesn't take more money; It takes more
accountability.
The time has now come for Mr. Malone (and his campaign supporters) to leave behind the status quo failed practices of his PAST, running our SHS like a union shop, misallocaitng district and taxpayer resources. As just one member of a professional TEAM, can Mr. Malone get on board with our current board's reform minded vision for our children's 21st century education; OR will he continue behaving as a school yard bully out for revenge,pretending to be the "Victim", demanding constant attention of praise and worship for himself, as the insanely popular Ron Malone, who once was a high school princiPAL?
What a waste of 41 years of experience is that?
You aren't addressing what I said at all. What resources did Dr. Malone "rob"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 6 hr NRA_RWNJ 31,461
greene county humane society 7 hr Tina 3
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr Chuck 19,281
Dennis Gannon trying to cover his past! 9 hr happy camper 2
For readers, not breeders and bottom feeders: 12 hr Fan of Leon The Man 2
"Reading is old-school cool!" 12 hr Leon Harrison 1
PRICHARD-Butler-Ison, Katrina 21 hr David M 1

Springboro Jobs

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro

Personal Finance