Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,280

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Taxpaying Citizen

Springboro, OH

#28954 Nov 7, 2013
Wow Wow Wow wrote:
You always assume it was a popularity contest. I strongly disagree. It was a vote against what is currently going on.
<quoted text>
It's time for Mr. Malone to wake up to the fact that what is currently going on in the school district is the big multi-million dollar business of educating our Students; and the taxpayers in this community are "stock holders" INVESTING in the education business. Does Wow Wow Wow think that supporters of the MSA campaign are now going to "stop the current 21st century quality classroom education that is now successfully "going on?"

It is agreed that the election of Mr. Anderson, Mr. Malone, and Mr. Stuckey was a "vote against" what is currently going on with the progress made in the past two years by our Children's First Budgeting reform minded BOE members Vision for our children's 21st century classroom education.

Mr. Malone told the public in a May 2013 Springboro Life magazine interview that he felt the current board's major focus was on the physical elements of education; and that he felt the re-emphasis should be put on the Educator. Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners support the direction in which our school district is
now "going in" and will stand up for kids in the boardroom to make sure that our new board members "get on board" with what's going on in our Students First classroom education.

Now that Mr. Malone is an elected BOE official, he works for the
community of taxpayers, accountable to the needs of both the school community and the community of taxpayers, and he just might find out that the job is much more demanding than being building principal managing the Principals fund, greeting students with a smile, and keeping Mr. Maney and his staff happy.

While there may be great differences in personality, leadership style, and expertise among the Five men of our new board,
the common thread shared by all must be the priority of RAISING THE BAR FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS, and working together with
students, parents, staff, and community members.

It will be a challenging year; but there is great optimism and confidence that Mr. Anderson, Mr. Malone, and Mr. Stuckey can
be taught to FIT into our school district's reform-minded vision for our children's future. We can just invest in status quo!
Taxpaying Citizen

Springboro, OH

#28955 Nov 7, 2013
Wow Wow Wow wrote:
You always assume it was a popularity contest. I strongly disagree. It was a vote against what is currently going on.
<quoted text>
It's time for Mr. Malone to wake up to the fact that what is currently going on in the school district is the big multi-million dollar business of educating our Students; and the taxpayers in this community are "stock holders" INVESTING in the education business. Does Wow Wow Wow think that supporters of the MSA campaign are now going to "stop the current 21st century quality classroom education that is now successfully "going on?"

It is agreed that the election of Mr. Anderson, Mr. Malone, and Mr. Stuckey was a "vote against" what is currently going on with the progress made in the past two years by our Children's First Budgeting reform minded BOE members Vision for our children's 21st century classroom education.

Mr. Malone told the public in a May 2013 Springboro Life magazine interview that he felt the current board's major focus was on the physical elements of education; and that he felt the re-emphasis should be put on the Educator. Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners support the direction in which our school district is
now "going in" and will stand up for kids in the boardroom to make sure that our new board members "get on board" with what's going on in our Students First classroom education.

Now that Mr. Malone is an elected BOE official, he works for the
community of taxpayers, accountable to the needs of both the school community and the community of taxpayers, and he just might find out that the job is much more demanding than being building principal managing the Principals fund, greeting students with a smile, and keeping Mr. Maney and his staff happy.

While there may be great differences in personality, leadership style, and expertise among the Five men of our new board,
the common thread shared by all must be the priority of RAISING THE BAR FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS, and working together with
students, parents, staff, and community members.

It will be a challenging year; but there is great optimism and confidence that Mr. Anderson, Mr. Malone, and Mr. Stuckey can
be taught to FIT into our school district's reform-minded vision for our children's future.

Where the current board's at right now is wanting he highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility. That's what
our school distict's reform minded vision stands for.
We can't just invest in status quo.
Get Real

Springboro, OH

#28956 Nov 7, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
SPIN,SPIN,SPIN. Bill would be proud.
Anderson is with Malone and Stuckey.
Please provide where Mr. Anderson supports Children's First Budgeting. He ran with Malone/Stuckey. Their campain was one in the same. He publicly denounced any ties to the B/V campain.
"This, once again, demonstrates that the Bitner/Vaughn Campaign and
Educate Springboro do not follow campaign laws nor do they have ethics.
Mr. Anderson strongly denounces this and has requested that the signs be taken down as he did NOT authorize this in any shape or form.
Furthermore, Mr. Anderson is NOT endorsing the Bitner/Vaughn ticket." - www.msa4springboro.com
...their campaign was one in the same...?

well the campaign is over now, and are you now denouncing the individual voice of Mr. Anderson, as an elected official,
by assuming that Mr. Anderson is just a "prop" for the retired educators, Mr. Malone and Mr. Stuckey, and that only ONE voice will be heard during school board business decisions?

Mr. Anderson is a business owner who obviously prides himself in successfully problem solving and decision making, based on his own independent life's experiences; while Mr. Malone and Mr. Stuckey have spent their adult careers in the "collective experiences" of the government schools, producing a narrow vision of business-like independent thinking.
So naturally, Mr. Malone and Mr. Stuckey
just assume that Mr. Anderson will think collectively as one with the two of them; but that's probably not going to happen for very long. Once elected, all politicians develop huge egos as a means of self-defense against destructive personal attacks from their ever present opposition; and no one can possibly please every one all the time, so it is just a matter of time for those egos to start crowding one another and the battle of the minds begin.
We'll see how the new year begins soon; but Mr. Malone doesn't
seem very strong minded in dealing with controversary... he appears very shallow and too easily offended to be an effective
leader. Furthermore, Mr. Anderson is no longer in a campaign against Bitner/Vaughn, nor WITH Malone/Stuckey.
Lerxst

Springboro, OH

#28957 Nov 7, 2013
Wow Wow Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you describe as 'going on'?
Get over yourselves

Dayton, OH

#28958 Nov 7, 2013
Taxpaying Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
be taught to FIT into our school district's reform-minded vision for our children's future. We can just invest in status quo!
This is the most humorous statement I've seen thus far. The voters overwhelmingly do not want them to be "taught to FIT" into the current school board's mindset. We went them challenge it, to remove the smokescreen that you call transparency, to TRULY put children first rather than just say it (that Kohls, Petroni, and Rigano give three craps about the kids of Springboro is laughable.) You are correct that those in elected office develop their own individual identities while in office. That's fine with us. What the community of Springboro is sick and tired of is extremism (oh my!), deceit, and disrespect. We are smart enough to know that we won't always agree with the board's decisions, but now with the likes of Kohls, Petroni, and Rigano no longer in the majority, we at least know we can TRUST them and they won't make us a laughing stock of the nation. Eventually you blowhards will see that we don't want the agenda of the current board to continue and IT WON'T. Mr. Wiedeboy will be loud, no doubt, but we are done letting him bully this community. The community has spoken. It's time for YOU to listen for a change.
Reality Bytes

Springboro, OH

#28959 Nov 7, 2013
Get over yourselves wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the most humorous statement I've seen thus far. The voters overwhelmingly do not want them to be "taught to FIT" into the current school board's mindset. We went them challenge it, to remove the smokescreen that you call transparency, to TRULY put children first rather than just say it (that Kohls, Petroni, and Rigano give three craps about the kids of Springboro is laughable.) You are correct that those in elected office develop their own individual identities while in office. That's fine with us. What the community of Springboro is sick and tired of is extremism (oh my!), deceit, and disrespect. We are smart enough to know that we won't always agree with the board's decisions, but now with the likes of Kohls, Petroni, and Rigano no longer in the majority, we at least know we can TRUST them and they won't make us a laughing stock of the nation. Eventually you blowhards will see that we don't want the agenda of the current board to continue and IT WON'T. Mr. Wiedeboy will be loud, no doubt, but we are done letting him bully this community. The community has spoken. It's time for YOU to listen for a change.
....I'm listening; all I hear is your extremism, deceit, and disrespect... seems to me that you have more in commom with
community than differences.

....a laughing stock of the the nation? isn't that just
YOUR extremism?

....three craps about the kids? So what's laughable about
YOUR rudeness and bad manners?

....you blowhards?... are you done bullying this community yet?
Words of Sustainability

Springboro, OH

#28960 Nov 7, 2013
Public schools serve the community. The community funds and supports public schools. The partnership between our schools and community can be described in many ways. It is a legislated relationship. It is a traditional bonding. It is symbiotic. It is real.
The Springboro school district stands in an almost unheard of position today. Even after plans to invest millions in technology, curriculum, buildings and buses, and even after providing every employee with raises, we are financially prepared to give something back to the taxpayer – to give back to our community by reducing their tax burden. The renewal levy on the ballot in November will be set at a lower millage rate to reduce taxes generated by that levy by nearly 15 percent.
With every step, we are proving that this district with its record of excellence is sustainable with an even lower tax burden. This is almost unheard of in school or local government today. The idea seems so foreign to some that there is even a call in our community to keep the renewal for the full amount.
There is an assumption that if we are cutting the taxes; we must be cutting back in our schools. This is simply FALSE. The following needs are in the current budget through 2017:
• high school busing restored
• over $2 million in text books and new adoptions
• over 2.1 million for new buses
• over $3.7 million in capital needs and deferred maintenance
• over $1.5 million in technology (100% WiFi, 1,000 computers, 350 teacher laptops)
• over $7.5 million for our staff in raises and benefit changes
These are met in the five-year forecast even with the lower renewal levy. This reduction of almost 15 percent millage is equal to $1,353,800 per year that we are giving back to our community.
How is this possible?
• The May 2013 five-year forecast included a surplus of $7.55 million in 2017.
• After the approval of contracts with the teachers, classified and exempt staff, the five-year forecast still reveals a surplus of $7.2 million in 2017.
• Springboro Community City Schools will receive 6.5% more in 2013-2014 than in the previous year from the State of Ohio (approximately $828,000) as well as 10.5% more in 2014-2015 (approximately $1.2 million).
• Since 2012, 2013, the district has received $3.5 million per year as a result of a pipeline that has been completed.
• A second pipeline is possible; however, the district’s current forecast assumptions DO NOT include the additional funding it may bring to the district.
Not only have we proven that we can live within our means, but now every person in this district—our children and families, our staff and teachers, and the taxpayers–will benefit.
This is significant when placed in the context of five failed levies that sought to raise our taxes by up to $45,000,000. Our community sent a clear message again and again that there could be no new taxes. The board—elected by that same community—remembers that we are all on the same side in the pursuit of true educational attainment. As it became clear through our due diligence into the finances of the district that we could meet our needs with less money, the board voted to request lower millage in the renewal levy in November.
If you budget $300 for a monthly car payment but you find the car you need with every option for $250, do you tell the dealer you’d still like to pay more? Of course not. We’re not selling a rundown clunker at the reduced price. We are meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. We are building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings – we are putting children first. Most important, we are being honest about what is needed through 2017. This is reform at the local level, and this is working together toward sustainability.
Get over yourselves

Dayton, OH

#28961 Nov 7, 2013
Reality Bytes wrote:
<quoted text>
....I'm listening; all I hear is your extremism, deceit, and disrespect... seems to me that you have more in commom with
community than differences.
....a laughing stock of the the nation? isn't that just
YOUR extremism?
....three craps about the kids? So what's laughable about
YOUR rudeness and bad manners?
....you blowhards?... are you done bullying this community yet?
No extremism here and certainly no deceit. I gladly admit to disrespect because that's exactly what those who support Kohls, Petroni, and Rigano have earned.

Yes, a laughing stock. Did you not see any of the very negative national coverage? Wow, pay attention.

My rudeness is not intended to be laughable; it's simply deserved.

No, I'm not done. Eventually, those who are bullied bully right back. Yes, I guess you've made me stoop to your level.

Boy, you blowhards (yes, I said it again and I still mean it) can dish it out, but you sure can't take it!
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28962 Nov 8, 2013
<quoted text>

Yes, a laughing stock. Did you not see any of the very negative national coverage? Wow, pay attention.
No, I'm not done. Eventually, those who are bullied bully right back. Yes, I guess you've made me stoop to your level.
Boy, you blowhards (yes, I said it again and I still mean it) can dish it out, but you sure can't take it!
You do know that people in Phoenix,AZ are NOT awaiting with rapt attention the results of the latest Springboro board meeting, nor are those in Columbus, Ga or Duluth, MN, nor Tacoma, WA., etc, etc, etc,

Bullies, is that the new hate word du jour? It seems to be all the rage with people who are not used to dealing with reality in this area. If someone expresses an opinion or facts not to your liking, is that person a bully?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28963 Nov 8, 2013
<quoted text>
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT B/V WON?
I believe the actions taken by electing in MSA in a LANDSLIDE speaks volumes toward what direction the voters want to take.
I believe that the voters motivated to vote in this election were the pro levy crowd and that carried the day for MSA.

The other side of the fence did not vote, why should they? The levy was going to pass, it was going to save homeowners money whether it passed or not, what was to get out of bed for that day?

Taxpayers won by virtue of the circumstances, however the election went, their taxes were going down.

MSA did a good job getting the levy supporters out, BV did not.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28964 Nov 8, 2013
<quoted text>
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT B/V WON?
I believe the actions taken by electing in MSA in a LANDSLIDE speaks volumes toward what direction the voters want to take.
Taxaying Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>

WE BELIEVE over taxation of the taxpayers is wrong!

WE BELIEVE in supporting the amount of necessary taxation required to do the job correctly.

WE BELIEVE that excess tax money in any government body tends to inspire creative ways to spend that money.

WE BELIEVE transparency, from budgeting to policy formulation to meetings, leads to good governance in all levels of government.

Which one of these beliefs do you think the majority of Springboro citizens do not agree?
Lerxst

Springboro, OH

#28965 Nov 8, 2013
Wow Wow Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
So, this was a vote against?:

-$5M+ surplus
- new textbooks
- reduced pay to play
- reduced levy
- school maintenance
- return of busing
- higher educational standards
- PSEO
- accountability

I can keep going, but I think you get the picture. So yeah, this was classic case of a election based on popularity. Of course the current board's trial balloon stunts regarding religion certainly didn't help. But, as I previously said that was never going to happen. Ever. The SCOTUS has already seen to it. So, that was not enough for me to discount all the improvements we have seen.

If you think that reversing course is the answer that's fine. Obviously, a large voter base agrees with you. As for me I'm at a loss how anyone can look at the track record of the last few years and not want to continue on with it. Voting has consequences.
Performance Review

Springboro, OH

#28966 Nov 8, 2013
Newly-elected board representative, Ron Malone, continued his "vote for revenge" against Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners at the Springboro School Board business meeting last night; bringing in the TV news crew and his "gotcha" supporters to, once again, demonize
Kelly Kohls' and her judgement on the MLA contract proposal.
What is it about these Springboro men, including
Ron Malone and Doug Weideman, whose self-importance leadership can only be upgraded by bloviatig in public meetings and on this Topix blog, by "degrading" this Springboro parent, Kelly Kohls?
Performance Review

Springboro, OH

#28967 Nov 8, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that the voters motivated to vote in this election were the pro levy crowd and that carried the day for MSA.
The other side of the fence did not vote, why should they? The levy was going to pass, it was going to save homeowners money whether it passed or not, what was to get out of bed for that day?
Taxpayers won by virtue of the circumstances, however the election went, their taxes were going down.
MSA did a good job getting the levy supporters out, BV did not.
Paid for by private citizen, Doug Weideman, carried the day for the MSA team, by continuing to bully the insanely popular Ron Malone who has been a high school princiPAL for 13 years.

Mr. Weideman's expensive campaign ads kept the spotlight on
himwelf and the WEAKNESSES of Mr. Malone, which were already well known by Mr.Malones fans AND thoroughly embraced community-wide.

David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn had no campaign, no campaing manager, and no money to plan a Strategy to get themselves known to voters, between the September "coming out" as parents representing parents and the November 5th election.

The David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn campaign, THE PEOPLE'S CAMPAIGN,
was botched from the beginning by Doug Weideman's false accusations against Kelly Kohls, and Doug Weideman's personal campaign to DUMBDOWN the Bitner/Vaughn campaign for school board election.

Doug Weideman only wanted ONE elected, Charles Anderson, and that is what the Bitner/Vaughn campaign was fought for and the campaign for Charles Anderson was WON. Now, Mr.Weideman's task is to get in that board room and pressure Charles Anderson to distance himself from the Educators Representing Educators BOE members, Mr.Malone and Mr.Stuckey, and PUSH him closer to the Children's First reform minded agenda of our current board.

Bring on the Controversary... it's going to be a very big show
and all us taxpayers have already pre-paid our taxes and have
"season tickets" to come to our "pre-arranged" board meetings and review the upcoming performances.

Isn't it fun being the wealthiest, most educated, "laughing stock" school district of them all?
ugly out there

Springboro, OH

#28969 Nov 8, 2013
As The Springboro housewives returns.

Lisa Jo Brovont Babb I've already done my research on this group and I have definite concerns as to why we'd spend this kind of money rather than hiring a new treasurer to work full time and having them assess the situation. It just doesn't make sense. Tonight will be interesting.
about an hour ago via mobile · Like · 3..
Heather Klasing Crabtree presented in work session on this. The video is up on the school site.
about an hour ago via mobile · Like..
Debbie Leach Christian Thank you Lisa Jo Brovont Babb. So many of us will miss most of this meeting due to Sports Awards. Timing is everything
about an hour ago · Like · 1..
Laura Niehaus Windholtz Americans for Prosperity is linked to privitizing public schools, vouchers (they are now calling opportunity scholarships) and tea party! Huge red flag!!
about an hour ago · Like · 4..
Jonna Chrisman Great!
about an hour ago · Like..
Leslie Grady Dennis has conferences tonight. I wondered how much havoc they would try to cause before January
about an hour ago via mobile · Like · 1..
Debbie Leach Christian You can bet that they planned this for this night when so many of us cannot attend. I'm not at all surprised.
about an hour ago · Like · 2..
Kathy Kofron Five points has conferences also. These guys are unbelievable.
about an hour ago · Like · 1..
Mary Landers Johnson Wonder where they plan on meeting? Every big room at the HS will be taken with teams. Dorks!
35 minutes ago · Like..
Debbie Leach Christian J
35 minutes ago · Like..
Write a comment... Options.
Stephanie Young Bindemann
Springboro moves past school election www.mydaytondailynews.com The Springboro school board meets tonight, secure about having enough money to run the district for the next five years, but faced with the possibility of division on the board in January..
Like ·· Follow Post · Share · about an hour ago.
Melanie Plant Lowe likes this..

Lisa Babb "I have definite concerns about this group". She is referring to Americans for Prosperity- look them up.
I thought Lisa Babb was a Christian- why does she oppose Americans for Prosperity, a Christian pro American, pro liberty and freedom group?? She does not like Americans to have Prosperity? I see a wolf in sheep's clothing. The Bible talks about this type. I don't see our friend Tiffy here but the regular cast of characters are here.
pound something

Springboro, OH

#28970 Nov 8, 2013
poundsand wrote:
First God created idiots," wrote Mark Twain. "That was for practice. Then he created school boards."
Funny especially this new one. In January we see the idiots work over the citizens of Springboro, give to the rich (district employees) and take from the poor and the children like they did in the past. We have proof that this is fact- look at the High School TAV report and the ESC audit of our high school. Screw the kids my peeps need a new car.
pound something

Springboro, OH

#28971 Nov 8, 2013
<quoted text>
No extremism here and certainly no deceit. I gladly admit to disrespect because that's exactly what those who support Kohls, Petroni, and Rigano have earned.
Hello are you one of those soap opera stars Housewives of Springboro? Can I get your autograph for my bird cage?
R U Sure

Springboro, OH

#28972 Nov 8, 2013
Wow Wow Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
...aw, come on now! Between napping and keeping Mr. Maney and his staff happy, do you really expect that the tunnel vision of the
MSA team really care about "what is currently going on" in
our children's classrooms?

Are you now telling us it was Principal Ron's Kids who were the ones which were lying in the March 2012 "re-instate Ron Malone"
protest?

MSA all the Way...? It's for keeping our union president and his staff HAPPY the old outdated Ron Malone status quo way!
Boro Future Bright

Springboro, OH

#28973 Nov 8, 2013
pound something wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny especially this new one. In January we see the idiots work over the citizens of Springboro, give to the rich (district employees) and take from the poor and the children like they did in the past. We have proof that this is fact- look at the High School TAV report and the ESC audit of our high school. Screw the kids my peeps need a new car.
Are you talking about January 2014, when the TWO retired
status quo "educators representing educators" Ron Malone and David Stuckey, come on board with the newly elected community business man, Charles Anderson?
It's true that Charles Anderson was elected at the Top of the leader board; but word about town is buzzing that our new BOE
member, Charles Anderson, is more of a middle of the road leader;
you know the type, just checking things out about the goings on in the board room, and then just going along to get along, just so that he can escape the wrath of Scary Sarah and her evil ones, who ALL share the TOP of the leader board in the cult-like unionism flock of followers.

Parents in this school district should be reminded that ONLY our involvement in our children's classroom education can save our children from the mean-spirited, self-serving indoctrination of unionism PUSHED down the throats of OUR children by a union teacher in every classroom.

Parents in this school district should be reminded that January 2014 is the TIME to get to our BOE meetings and take back OUR Children's First reform minded school district agenda!
Children First Budgeting Works!

And we only need ONE board member to gain a Children's First majority... and we have already WON the ONE in the middle...
It's for our children, our schools, and our community!

BORO FUTURE BRIGHT LOOKS PRETTY OPTIMISTIC....sunny side up.
Hammer Out Justice

Springboro, OH

#28974 Nov 8, 2013
Remember the MSA campaign flyer received in the mail telling us "It's simple. The Way Forward is Clear."

Well now that Anderson, Malone, and Stuckey are
elected, their campaign flyer pledges to:

Promote solidarity....

Redefine the role of a school board member...

People in this community should WAKE UP and read between the lines, and beware this message that is neither simple, nor clear, just scary...

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."
-Frederick Douglass

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 15 min xxxrayted 31,483
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Chuck 19,285
greene county humane society 3 hr The New Cool Warrior 4
Representative Mike Turner is a Pentagon Pimp 3 hr The New Cool Warrior 1
Dennis Gannon trying to cover his past! 21 hr happy camper 2
For readers, not breeders and bottom feeders: 23 hr Fan of Leon The Man 2
Mart Crowe (May '12) Sun rjd 61

Springboro Jobs

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro

Personal Finance