Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
28,261 - 28,280 of 31,181 Comments Last updated 3 min ago
Grammar Class

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

More Housewives wrote:
Yes some of these are teachers teaching your kids
Debbie Leach Christian
Educate Springboro
November 3, 2013
In the direction of simple truth
Here’s the simple truth about the Board of Education race in Springboro.
Tina Paul Schrof OK, this just pisses me off!!! Sorry, just putting it out there!!! They have no ethics!!! Wow you should talk Tina
Debbie Leach Christian True Dat!
Kathy Hart Educate Springboro has 13 followers on Facebook. That's gotta tell you
something......time for them to close up shop and move on! MSA!!!YOU wish Kathy
Amy Goldstein Walker I just said about 63637726 cuss words in my head
Why not lots of room with no brains and all.
Debbie Leach Christian Good thing you kept them locked in your head....you would owe your kiddos LOTS of bucks
Kristie Dabrowski Geiger Me too Amy
Tina Paul Schrof Oh, I have more running in my head........trust me!! Again more cus words than brains lol.
Debbie Leach Christian What drives me crazy (er) is that when I read this trash...I can hear Petroni's voice. Sick!
Did yu frow up in yo mouf?
Melissa Markle Edwards Wow! This brings CYA to a whole new level!
Don't you worry, "Educate Springboro"; I will be sure to vote for Malone, Stuckey, and Anderson SEPARATELY.
Wendy Verba Telatko Interesting. Educate Springboro supports Charles Anderson because of his business acumen" $ but don't support 2 men who have given lives to the education of our children. "Children first"? Bittner, Vaughn, and Petroni. Don't make me laugh. So much for full public disclosure when the candidate in question wasn't even informed.
Wendy why don't you run for this office since you are queen of all that is perfect in Springboro?
Umm....what can you possibly say to this? Disturbing? How did this person earn a diploma with this awful display of grammar? So full of hate and yet clearly challenged in many ways. Just relax and let the election play itself out now. The community can choose school board members without this pitiful attack on people in the community. Regardless of what you may be trying to support, your post is awful in terms of content and presentation.
No debate means No choice

Maineville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

SCARE TACTICS ARE FOR THE WEAK!

Can anyone answer how we will end up with a UNION CONTROLLED board when only 1 of the 5 candidate have belonged to a union.(Unless Bitner and Vaughn have and aren't admitting it, they never show up to answer questions because they cannot think for themselves).

Part of being in an election is running and putting everything out for the public to base a decision on (including the company you work for, which Vaugn did but Bitner didn't).

Makes one ask :

What are they hiding?
What are they afraid of?
What kind of representatives would they be?

Only candidates who have the fortitude to show up for public debates deserve to be considered.

Only the EDUCATED should lead our EDUCATORS.
poundsand

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

No debate means No choice wrote:
SCARE TACTICS ARE FOR THE WEAK!
Can anyone answer how we will end up with a UNION CONTROLLED board when only 1 of the 5 candidate have belonged to a union.(Unless Bitner and Vaughn have and aren't admitting it, they never show up to answer questions because they cannot think for themselves).
Part of being in an election is running and putting everything out for the public to base a decision on (including the company you work for, which Vaugn did but Bitner didn't).
Makes one ask :
What are they hiding?
What are they afraid of?
What kind of representatives would they be?
Only candidates who have the fortitude to show up for public debates deserve to be considered.
Only the EDUCATED should lead our EDUCATORS.
good grief you are a broken record. Try going back and READING the last 6 pages and maybe you'll figure it out.
Vote Today

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Malone was at the polls this morning doing what he always did at the high school. Stand around and smile and wave. Only people who do not want ANY accountability would vote for him. Heck of a nice guy but no substance in my opinion.
MSA

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

The community is voting for you today! Finally relief after 3 yrs of embarrassment. We are not letting the tea baggers take over. Bring in the republicans and democrats!
Heart Burn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Vote Today wrote:
Malone was at the polls this morning doing what he always did at the high school. Stand around and smile and wave. Only people who do not want ANY accountability would vote for him. Heck of a nice guy but no substance in my opinion.
He had a cup of coffee in his hand when I voted....somebody better check to see if he is still awake.
Great Idea

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

I've got it! Here's an idea everyone could get behind: remember the controversial push for a new charter school here in town not long ago? I'm second guessing myself now - I say let's do it -

- Petroni and Rigano can go over there to head up the Board! They can be Co-Presidents if they wish!
- Kohls can come back as Superintendent or Grand-Poobah or whatever she wants to rename the role!
- Wiedemann, since he obviously knows exactly how to do it, can serve in the combined role of Principal-Vice Principal-Counselor-Teacher-Se cretary-etc.!
- Bitner could obviously be comfortable as Head of Security!
- Vaughn, I don't know, he could handle PTO President?

Wiedeman probably has an airplane hanger where classes could meet, everyone would be assigned a gun upon entrance, and they could teach all the radical and fanatical topics that they want (creationism, elitism, right-wing nutjobbedness, how to host a tea party, etc.)! They could spend absolutely ZERO dollars on anything (that'd make them happy), and they could finally do away with sports or any other extracurricular activities that further teach real life-lessons! Anyone in town who wants their children to attend would be encouraged to go: the numbers must be upwards of a few dozen!

Yep, I'm convinced, a separate charter school here in town like the one I explained above would be a great idea!

However, FOR THE REST OF US IN SPRINGBORO, we'll take people from a more 'normal' conservative point of view to manage our already distinctly above-average children's education. An education in any school is what you put into it as a student - if we just don't have some of these drastically 'out-there' thinkers making our school nationally 'weird', our kids will be just fine, and able to become as successful as they decide to be!

I just voted MSA for Springboro School Board: those who value and understand 'normal' life should do the same!
The Next Day

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

My Experience wrote:
Mr. Wiedeman is right, under Malone and the Baker administration, PSEO classes where not encouraged, but rather discouraged. I know this for a fact because I tried to get information and enroll my children in the program when they were in high school and actually started the process while they were in junior high, but only got unreturned phone calls and emails, and unanswered questions in person. My children were considered "gifted" by the district, though I consider them "ignored" by Malone and the Baker administration. For those who may not be aware, PSEO stands for Postsecondary Education Option and allows students to take college classes while still in high school for both college and high school credit. It is a fantastic program for students who are ready for the challenge. But another bonus is that students do not have to pay for the classes or books so it not only gives them a jumpstart on college credits, but also saves them and their parents money. However, in Springboro this was not an encouraged option. I wondered why and finally had a very honest teacher tell me off the record that it was because some of the state per pupil money followed the student to the college and Springboro wanted to keep the money in the district. That is why they raved about AP classes instead, but in reality, it was because AP classes keep the high school teachers employed. But anyone who knows anything about AP classes knows that the amount of credit if any that a college awards a student for a years worth of AP work is based on a test that is taken at the end of the year and colleges vary on how much credit they will award. So again, we see that Malone was more concerned with the teachers well being and not the children. Seems like a very pro-union idea to me. I could go on, but in the end, I got my children PSEO by transferring to a school that encouraged college courses and my children completed two full years of college while still in high school making them graduate from college in half the time and saving lots of our money, money they were able to use for grad school.
So you could say I'm getting even by NOT voting for the MSA "ticket" which isn't really a "ticket". Fortunately the current BOE and Bitner/Vaughn understand the value of early college and support PSEO, one of the many reasons they will be getting the votes in my family.
Your story is incomplete. There is more to the story but I know it doesn't fit with your agenda. The more competitive colleges (i.e., harder to get into) often will not take PSEO credits because the rigor of the curriculum at the college they were taken at can vary widely. They do however, accept AP classes because they are based on a known national standard. I can't speak to the information you shared above but I do know you left out a strong reason for not taking PSEO if you child is a good student.
The Next Day

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

I am hearing that Bitner and Vaughn put marketing literature in people's mail boxes last night. Being politicians, they should know better. While it may sound trivial, that is against the law. Only the Postal Service can do that. I should know, I've been called on the carpet by the Postal Service for distributing information to my neighborhood about a group get-together.

Feels like one more example of them and their PAC of believing that certain laws don't apply to them or others of their idealogical bent.
Vote Today

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

The Next Day wrote:
I am hearing that Bitner and Vaughn put marketing literature in people's mail boxes last night. Being politicians, they should know better. While it may sound trivial, that is against the law. Only the Postal Service can do that. I should know, I've been called on the carpet by the Postal Service for distributing information to my neighborhood about a group get-together.
Feels like one more example of them and their PAC of believing that certain laws don't apply to them or others of their idealogical bent.
You are correct and by law it is not legal but it is enforced as much as tearing the tags off your mattresses. With that said I doubt Bitner and Vaughn did this but some of their volunteers certainly could have. In the end it is trivial as you mentioned.

Did anyone notice Malone had a lawn chair with him. Got to get that nap in.
My Experience

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

The Next Day wrote:
<quoted text>
Your story is incomplete. There is more to the story but I know it doesn't fit with your agenda. The more competitive colleges (i.e., harder to get into) often will not take PSEO credits because the rigor of the curriculum at the college they were taken at can vary widely. They do however, accept AP classes because they are based on a known national standard. I can't speak to the information you shared above but I do know you left out a strong reason for not taking PSEO if you child is a good student.
Your comments are incorrect. A smart parent/student/advisor will first find out a students future plans then learn what that school accepts and work backwards in determining where to take PSEO courses. They may even utilize Transfer.org , a website colleges even use to see which classes will be accepted at various colleges and then make their choices. Also, its good to have a backup plan for alternative colleges since sometimes the first choice college doesn't work out. Again, the credit awarded for AP classes is based on one test and a whole year's worth of class. The student may have a bad day on test day or be smart but not a good test taker and this effects their score. Then the awarding of AP credit is so varied from college to college so no I didn't leave anything important out of my comment. AP classes keeps money in the district and secures jobs for teachers, neither of which was the goal of my own children's education. Why, because I was looking out for the children and not the job security of unionized teachers, which is exactly what Rigano, Petroni, Bitner, and Vaughn will do.
The Next Day

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

My Experience wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comments are incorrect. A smart parent/student/advisor will first find out a students future plans then learn what that school accepts and work backwards in determining where to take PSEO courses. They may even utilize Transfer.org , a website colleges even use to see which classes will be accepted at various colleges and then make their choices. Also, its good to have a backup plan for alternative colleges since sometimes the first choice college doesn't work out. Again, the credit awarded for AP classes is based on one test and a whole year's worth of class. The student may have a bad day on test day or be smart but not a good test taker and this effects their score. Then the awarding of AP credit is so varied from college to college so no I didn't leave anything important out of my comment. AP classes keeps money in the district and secures jobs for teachers, neither of which was the goal of my own children's education. Why, because I was looking out for the children and not the job security of unionized teachers, which is exactly what Rigano, Petroni, Bitner, and Vaughn will do.
I understand and agree with many of your comments but I think you missed my point. Based on direct conversations had with Admissions Counselors at several colleges, those colleges that are harder to get into are much more likely to accept AP credits than PSEO credits. For example, a PSEO credit from MUM or Sinclair may not be accepted by a top tier college because they don't have a good benchmark for the rigor and toughness of the class, whereas, with AP, they do know the level of rigor of the material. I agree that both PSEO and AP credits are important for our district to offer.

I am very concerned that our AP offering is below where it should be. I am not convinced the current BOE is going to take it to where it needs to go because it would require funds and they are working hard to minimize taxes (and they spend time on tangents like charter schools, Constitution classes, Creationism, etc.). I also think our community is going through a transition as an increasing number of our fellow citizens have gone to better colleges than was the norm in the past. Examples of the demographic profile we are moving towards are Oakwood and Centerville in our area and Dublin in the Columbus area or some of the suburban Cincinnati schools. Our curriculum should be more like theirs than perhaps the districts we have traditionally compared ourselves to. Not trying to sound elitist but rather trying to be realistic.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

[QUOTE who="Great Idea"
I just voted MSA for Springboro School Board: those who value and understand 'normal' life should do the same![/QUOTE]

Please tell us what exactly which of Mr. Bitner and Mr Vaughn beliefs you disagree with today.

BELIEVE
• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe in order to deliver the highest level of education we must raise the bar well past the state minimums and strive to challenge our children, parents, and staff to reach higher. We can and must do better, our children’s future depends on our actions today.

• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe that allocating resources from areas of less demand to areas of greater demand is one common sense approach to resolving needs in our schools. Federal and state mandates may preclude some reallocation, but we are still left with a sizable amount to influence.

• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe that in order to take advantage of the higher level classes at the high school, more children must be put on that track at earlier grade levels.

Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn support Mr. Petrey’s move towards emphasis on more development in the earliest grade levels. While not all children will eventually end in a calculus class in high school, we can certainly better prepare them all for post graduate success. And that benefits everyone.

• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe that the future belongs to technology. It is absolutely essential that we recognize technology not as a means to an end, but as a conduit through which knowledge flows. Much like the wires that flow to our houses bringing electricity, our technology investments are being made to ensure the future flow of knowledge to our children.

• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe that leveraging school fees, services, personnel decisions, safety, or infrastructure maintenance to threaten families in order to influence regular or levy elections is wrong.
justice

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

In 12 hrs we will finally be on our way to bringing back Springboro with MSA. It is so embarrassing to watch what these other 2 candidates have done to our reputation. We want people on our board who represent honesty and who are really wanting to help this district. We are finally going to see justice and have the right people representing our schools. Bye bye Kohls. Rigano and Petroni will be next. Your opinion won't matter because you will be the minority. The people of Springboro are tired of your scare tactics and illegal actions. This district has spent too much money on legal fees. Money that should have been used for our children. This community doesn't want you.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

The Next Day wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand and agree with many of your comments but I think you missed my point. Based on direct conversations had with Admissions Counselors at several colleges, those colleges that are harder to get into are much more likely to accept AP credits than PSEO credits. For example, a PSEO credit from MUM or Sinclair may not be accepted by a top tier college because they don't have a good benchmark for the rigor and toughness of the class, whereas, with AP, they do know the level of rigor of the material. I agree that both PSEO and AP credits are important for our district to offer.
I am very concerned that our AP offering is below where it should be. I am not convinced the current BOE is going to take it to where it needs to go because it would require funds and they are working hard to minimize taxes (and they spend time on tangents like charter schools, Constitution classes, Creationism, etc.). I also think our community is going through a transition as an increasing number of our fellow citizens have gone to better colleges than was the norm in the past. Examples of the demographic profile we are moving towards are Oakwood and Centerville in our area and Dublin in the Columbus area or some of the suburban Cincinnati schools. Our curriculum should be more like theirs than perhaps the districts we have traditionally compared ourselves to. Not trying to sound elitist but rather trying to be realistic.
Teaching your kids how to go to college while they are still at home with all its attendant opportunities, both good and bad, is plus for the children. Getting out of the cozy confines of SHS and learning to sit in a classroom of strangers, either do your homework or don't, either go to class or don't, learning that you are now the responsible party for your fate, are lessons that cannot be purchased in the hallways of SHS.

Making excuses for not doing so shows you are not serious about the children's future.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

justice wrote:
In 12 hrs we will finally be on our way to bringing back Springboro with MSA. It is so embarrassing to watch what these other 2 candidates have done to our reputation. We want people on our board who represent honesty and who are really wanting to help this district. We are finally going to see justice and have the right people representing our schools. Bye bye Kohls. Rigano and Petroni will be next. Your opinion won't matter because you will be the minority. The people of Springboro are tired of your scare tactics and illegal actions. This district has spent too much money on legal fees. Money that should have been used for our children. This community doesn't want you.
Bringing back endless levies, lessening the strength of our curriculum, delaying or ignoring facility maintenance and upkeep, reducing opportunities for our children, rewarding the union for its support,
etc. etc etc.

Sorry, but that is a road to no where for our children.

Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn support the progress made since the last school board election.

• Renewal levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million, yet still produces a surplus.

• Reduced school fees, lower pay to participate fees, as well as restored busing, and and long neglected building maintenance.

• Money and resources to the gifted and early intervention programs.

• Raising the academic bar for students and teachers. We are better than #97 in the state.

• Adding ACT/College Essentials class, emphasizing early college credit programs through the high school, Post Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO), Advanced Placement, and Dual Credit courses.

• Balancing class sizes, and strengthening our curriculum.

• Technology plan with 1,100 new computers, wireless access for every building, and laptops to every teacher .

Which part of this agenda do you disagree with today and why?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Truth is that in Mr. Malone failed to advance the strength of our high school curriculum.

These are not my words but those of the Warren County Educational Service Center, professional peers from the education world evaluating the program of studies of Mr. Malone's high school.

This was written in 2010 and again in 2012,(Mr Malone apparently did not heed their recommendation in 2010).

page 10

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxs0_xA64y_HS ...

" Documents provided to the Technical Assistance Team (TAV) indicate that contrary to the High Schools That Works (HSTW) philosophy, SHS believes that offering low-level courses is in the best interest of students. This belief, however, WAS NOT SUBSTANTIATED by research or data."

Superintendent Baker asked in his goals for 2008 for an increase of 15% participation in A/P classes and honors classes.

The Warren County Education Service Center audit of our program of studies for 2010 noted that Mr. Malone delivered not an increase but a DECREASE of 43% on his goal from 2 years earlier.

"Although SHS offers numerous AP courses and PSEO options, only 20 percent students report they attempted to earn college credit during high school. This is a DECREASE of 43 percent from 2008, and 60 percent below the HSTW goal. See Table 8. "

Argue against that truth if you can, those are not my words, but those of professional educators.

Vote for the three that were not involved in the dumbing down of our curriculum.

Vote Bitner, Vaughn, and Anderson
Tired of all of you

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Mr. Wiedeman, I BELIEVE you're an idiot.
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell us what exactly which of Mr. Bitner and Mr Vaughn beliefs you disagree with today.
BELIEVE
• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe in order to deliver the highest level of education we must raise the bar well past the state minimums and strive to challenge our children, parents, and staff to reach higher. We can and must do better, our children’s future depends on our actions today.
• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe that allocating resources from areas of less demand to areas of greater demand is one common sense approach to resolving needs in our schools. Federal and state mandates may preclude some reallocation, but we are still left with a sizable amount to influence.
• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe that in order to take advantage of the higher level classes at the high school, more children must be put on that track at earlier grade levels.
Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn support Mr. Petrey’s move towards emphasis on more development in the earliest grade levels. While not all children will eventually end in a calculus class in high school, we can certainly better prepare them all for post graduate success. And that benefits everyone.
• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe that the future belongs to technology. It is absolutely essential that we recognize technology not as a means to an end, but as a conduit through which knowledge flows. Much like the wires that flow to our houses bringing electricity, our technology investments are being made to ensure the future flow of knowledge to our children.
• Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn believe that leveraging school fees, services, personnel decisions, safety, or infrastructure maintenance to threaten families in order to influence regular or levy elections is wrong.
poundsand

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

justice wrote:
Yes, let's regress back to the Baker era when our school district was so much more reputable and honest.

Here's a refresher on how 'justice' and the right people representing our schools handled things:

* Capped high school class sizes in the 20s, while other grades who most need teacher attention, had larger class sizes (often up to 30).

* Taught the majority to meet the proficient standard (proficient is a OAA test score in 8th grade >40), while our district receives a “D” in gifted education and a “C” for our more challenged, lowest 20%.

* Ignored the changing curriculum and testing standards for students.

* Charged higher pay-to-play and school fees than were necessary.

* Failed to plan for technology in our classrooms and then spending resources on wireless technology that was inadequate and required replacement.

* Ignored recommendations to improve the rigor of our high school academic programs by failing to promote college credit options for our students.

* Reacted to circumstances and spent more than budgeted instead of planning to invest and keeping up our buildings, grounds and bus fleet.

* Assumed the only solution was higher taxes and proposed yearly levies to pass.

Yes, let's return to the good old days bringing back Springboro with MSA!!
Blah blah blah

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2013

Judged:

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
BELIEVE
Mr. Wiedeman, I BELIEVE you're an idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 11 min Old Guy 30,240
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Mike Brown High C... 18,762
Middletown Gangs (Apr '13) 15 hr Mz Pebbles 26
Family Law Attorneys 21 hr Peter Simmons 6
Debate: Ferguson - Dayton, OH 23 hr Leon Harrison 2
Dayton printing company president talks hard co... Thu Literature Lover 1
This is why I am an Ann Fan! Wed The Duke of Hazard 4

Search the Springboro Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000