Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31855 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

My Experience

Dayton, OH

#28756 Nov 4, 2013
Mr. Wiedeman is right, under Malone and the Baker administration, PSEO classes where not encouraged, but rather discouraged. I know this for a fact because I tried to get information and enroll my children in the program when they were in high school and actually started the process while they were in junior high, but only got unreturned phone calls and emails, and unanswered questions in person. My children were considered "gifted" by the district, though I consider them "ignored" by Malone and the Baker administration. For those who may not be aware, PSEO stands for Postsecondary Education Option and allows students to take college classes while still in high school for both college and high school credit. It is a fantastic program for students who are ready for the challenge. But another bonus is that students do not have to pay for the classes or books so it not only gives them a jumpstart on college credits, but also saves them and their parents money. However, in Springboro this was not an encouraged option. I wondered why and finally had a very honest teacher tell me off the record that it was because some of the state per pupil money followed the student to the college and Springboro wanted to keep the money in the district. That is why they raved about AP classes instead, but in reality, it was because AP classes keep the high school teachers employed. But anyone who knows anything about AP classes knows that the amount of credit if any that a college awards a student for a years worth of AP work is based on a test that is taken at the end of the year and colleges vary on how much credit they will award. So again, we see that Malone was more concerned with the teachers well being and not the children. Seems like a very pro-union idea to me. I could go on, but in the end, I got my children PSEO by transferring to a school that encouraged college courses and my children completed two full years of college while still in high school making them graduate from college in half the time and saving lots of our money, money they were able to use for grad school.

So you could say I'm getting even by NOT voting for the MSA "ticket" which isn't really a "ticket". Fortunately the current BOE and Bitner/Vaughn understand the value of early college and support PSEO, one of the many reasons they will be getting the votes in my family.
No debate means No choice

Maineville, OH

#28757 Nov 4, 2013
SCARE TACTICS ARE FOR THE WEAK!

Can anybody answer how we will end up with a UNION CONTROLLED board when only 1 of the 5 candidate have belonged to a union.(Unless Bitner and Vaughn have and aren't admitting it, they never show up to answer questions because they cannot think for themselves).

Part of being in an election is running and putting everything out for the public to base a decision on (including the company you work for, which Vaugn did but Bitner didn't).

Makes one ask:

What are they hiding?
What are they afraid of?
What kind of representatives would they be?

Only candidates who have the fortitude to show up for public debates deserve to be considered.

Only the EDUCATED should lead our EDUCATORS.
Check

Springboro, OH

#28758 Nov 4, 2013
Pay for those flyers with a check, Doug?
certainly worth repeating

Springboro, OH

#28759 Nov 4, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Vote for the three that were not involved in the dumbing down of our curriculum.

Vote Bitner, Vaughn, and Anderson
Vote for the three that were not involved in the dumbing down of our curriculum.

Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28760 Nov 4, 2013
Check wrote:
Pay for those flyers with a check, Doug?
Maybe we should revisit the message and see if it provides any clues

As the man who led our school district as high school principal for 13 years, Ron Malone held a special place of trust, authority, and influence in our community. How he chose to use those gifts is revealed in the public records reports of his professional peer reviewers, his superiors, and his own public pronouncements.

The recent note from Mr. Tom Isaacs of the Warren County Educational Service Center in defense of Mr. Malone is noteworthy in that it did not refute any of their prior conclusions or recommendations.

• December 2010 Warren County Educational Service Center audit report on SHS program of studies RECOMMENDATIONS page 13:
“Increase the numbers of students taking the High Schools That Works recommended curriculum/Ohio Core each year by at least 25 percent.
Increase the percentage of students taking college preparatory courses. Eliminate any course offerings below the college preparatory level.”

• January 2012 Superintendent Gene Lolli’s annual performance evaluation of Mr. Malone notes:
“Mr. Malone does demonstrate the ability to affect change, but sometimes very reluctantly. It sometimes takes numerous requests by Superintendent
before changes are implemented.”
“Mr. Malone needs to improve on getting request goals to the Superintendent in a timely fashion. Examples include: Requested schedule of events for
delayed start at the beginning of the year, at semester, and last week and have not yet received. Also requested times and dates of all staff meetings and
quarterly updates on the High Schools That Work per 2011-2012 job targets."

• January 2013 Warren County Educational Service Center audit report on SHS program of studies page 10:
“SHS still offers general level classes (Algebra 1A and 1B, physical science, US History, and World History). Thus, not all students experience a college
preparatory curriculum. Documents provided to the Technical Assitance Visiting(TAV) Team indicate that contrary to the High Schools That Works philosophy,
SHS believes that offering low-level courses is in the best interest of students. This belief, however, WAS NOT SUBSTANTIATED by research or data.”

• 2013 USNEWS ranking of high schools in Ohio ranks King’s #23, Mason #35, Bellbrook #37, Brookville #41, Lebanon #48, Centerville #49, Waynesville #53,
Monroe #90, and finally Springboro #97. Given our district’s stated 40% gifted population, the fact that only 20% are on track to take A/P classes in high school,
our district is severely underperforming compared to those districts around us in my opinion.

• Number of Dual College Credit Classes available when Mr. Malone retired - 0
Number of Dual College Credit Classes added after Mr. Malone retired June 30, 2013 - 6

• Misallocation of district and taxpayer resources: 34 out of 77 elective classes at the high school had less than 20 students, more than a few had multiple classes.
IE: Children’s Literature, 2 classes - 27 total students, Entrepreneurship, 2 classes - 20 total students, etc., etc.

• My conclusion is that Mr. Malone ran this high school like a union shop, making up classes with scant demand to ensure employment for those whose skills were not in demand. This tactic robbed resources from areas of greater need in the district. Those who suffered the most were the gifted and those in need of early intervention.

Please explain to the public which statements or conclusions are in error
VOTE BITNER-VAUGHN

Springboro, OH

#28761 Nov 4, 2013
I hope you are as tired of the controversy surrounding the school board as I am. The controversy has been exaggerated by MSA’s supporters to gain advantage and influence this election against the incumbent board members. The best way to move beyond the controversy is to not perpetuate it by electing one side then the next repeatedly. Bitner and Vaughn are independent thinkers without allegiance to any faction. Let’s end the controversy by electing them.

On January 5th
DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO VOTE FOR THREE!
YOU CAN VOTE FOR JUST TWO!

VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN

FOR SPRINGBORO SCHOOL BOARD!

VOTE FOR RENEWAL LEVY!
VOTE BITNER-VAUGHN

Springboro, OH

#28763 Nov 4, 2013
VOTE YOUR BELIEF!

IF YOU BELIEVE THAT LEVERAGING SCOOL FEES, SERVICES, PERSONNEL DECISIONS, SAFETY, OR
INFRASTRUCTURE MAINTENANCE TO THREATEN FAMILIES IN ORDER TO INFLUENCE REGLAR OR LEVY ELECTIONS IS WRONG,

PLEASE JOIN OTHER WHO BELIEVE THAT BOTH

DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN SHOULD BE

ELECTED OUR NEXT TWO SCHOOL BOARD REPRESENTATIVES!

VOTE BITNER/VAUGHN
**Your ONLY Two Conservative Candidates**
VOTE BITNER-VAUGHN

Springboro, OH

#28764 Nov 4, 2013
VOTE YOUR BELIEF!

IF YOU BELIEVE THAT LEVERAGING SCOOL FEES, SERVICES, PERSONNEL DECISIONS, SAFETY, OR
INFRASTRUCTURE MAINTENANCE TO THREATEN FAMILIES IN ORDER TO INFLUENCE REGULAR OR LEVY ELECTIONS IS WRONG,

PLEASE JOIN OTHERS WHO BELIEVE THAT BOTH

DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN SHOULD BE

ELECTED OUR NEXT TWO SCHOOL BOARD REPRESENTATIVES!

VOTE BITNER/VAUGHN
**Your ONLY Two Conservative Candidates**
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28765 Nov 4, 2013
Vote for the three that did not dumb down our curriculum at the high school

VOTE BITNER VAUGHN

Springboro, OH

#28766 Nov 5, 2013
VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN FOR

SPRINGBORO SCHOOL BOARD!

VOTE FOR THE ONLY TWO CONSERVATIVE SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES WHO SUPPORT THE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING PROGRESS MADE BY OUR CURRENT BOARD SINCE THE NOVEMBER 2011 SCHOOL BOARD ELECTION!

VOTE TO BRING VICTORY TO BOTH

DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN

AS OUR NEXT TWO ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES!

VOTE BITNER/VAUGHN!
VOTE FOR RENEWAL LEVY THAT SAVES TAXPAYERS
$6.5 MILLION!

GOD BLESS AMERICA! MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!
VOTE BITNER VAUGHN

Springboro, OH

#28767 Nov 5, 2013
JUST SAY NO TO STATUS QUO LEADERSHIP AND FAILED PRACTICES OF THE PAST 13 YEARS!

LOOK AT TODAY AND THE FUTURE!

VOTE FOR BOTH CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES

**DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN**

IT JUST TAKES TWO CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES

TO WIN THE MAJORITY VOTE OVER THE THREE

LIBERAL MSA CANDIDATES!

VOTE BITNER/VAUGHN!

The future of our schools and community depend
upon what voters decide TODAY!

God Bless America! May God Bless You and Your
Family!
VOTE BITNER VAUGHN

Springboro, OH

#28768 Nov 5, 2013
TODAY... the People's Voice Will Be Heard...and

that's a Priceless Thing! God Bless America!

VOTE BITNER/VAUGHN!

VOTE RENEWAL LEVY!

IT'S FOR OUR STUDENTS FIRST, OUR SCHOOL EMPLOYEES, AND OUR COMMUNITY OF TAXPAYERS!

IT JUST TAKES TWO FOR VICTORY OVER UNION
SOLIDARITY!

VOTE FOR BOTH

**DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN**

Your only TWO Conservative Candidates WHO

can bring VICTORY To Our Students FIRST

over Unionism Indoctrination in the Classroom!

VOTE BITNER/VAUGHN!

VOTE RENEWAL LEVY!

GOD BLESS AMERICA and MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND
YOUR FAMILY!

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#28769 Nov 5, 2013
looks like jimmy chmeil's goon squad was busy last night. Many campaign signs for Randy Watkins in the ward 4 council race are missing from many homes this morning. What's the matter jimmy, can't stand a little competition ? Don't your goons know it's a felony to steal campaign signs off private property ?
Grammar Class

Miamisburg, OH

#28770 Nov 5, 2013
More Housewives wrote:
Yes some of these are teachers teaching your kids
Debbie Leach Christian
Educate Springboro
November 3, 2013
In the direction of simple truth
Here’s the simple truth about the Board of Education race in Springboro.
Tina Paul Schrof OK, this just pisses me off!!! Sorry, just putting it out there!!! They have no ethics!!! Wow you should talk Tina
Debbie Leach Christian True Dat!
Kathy Hart Educate Springboro has 13 followers on Facebook. That's gotta tell you
something......time for them to close up shop and move on! MSA!!!YOU wish Kathy
Amy Goldstein Walker I just said about 63637726 cuss words in my head
Why not lots of room with no brains and all.
Debbie Leach Christian Good thing you kept them locked in your head....you would owe your kiddos LOTS of bucks
Kristie Dabrowski Geiger Me too Amy
Tina Paul Schrof Oh, I have more running in my head........trust me!! Again more cus words than brains lol.
Debbie Leach Christian What drives me crazy (er) is that when I read this trash...I can hear Petroni's voice. Sick!
Did yu frow up in yo mouf?
Melissa Markle Edwards Wow! This brings CYA to a whole new level!
Don't you worry, "Educate Springboro"; I will be sure to vote for Malone, Stuckey, and Anderson SEPARATELY.
Wendy Verba Telatko Interesting. Educate Springboro supports Charles Anderson because of his business acumen" $ but don't support 2 men who have given lives to the education of our children. "Children first"? Bittner, Vaughn, and Petroni. Don't make me laugh. So much for full public disclosure when the candidate in question wasn't even informed.
Wendy why don't you run for this office since you are queen of all that is perfect in Springboro?
Umm....what can you possibly say to this? Disturbing? How did this person earn a diploma with this awful display of grammar? So full of hate and yet clearly challenged in many ways. Just relax and let the election play itself out now. The community can choose school board members without this pitiful attack on people in the community. Regardless of what you may be trying to support, your post is awful in terms of content and presentation.
No debate means No choice

Maineville, OH

#28771 Nov 5, 2013

Can anyone answer how we will end up with a UNION CONTROLLED board when only 1 of the 5 candidate have belonged to a union.(Unless Bitner and Vaughn have and aren't admitting it, they never show up to answer questions because they cannot think for themselves).

Part of being in an election is running and putting everything out for the public to base a decision on (including the company you work for, which Vaugn did but Bitner didn't).

Makes one ask :

What are they hiding?
What are they afraid of?

Only candidates who have the fortitude to show up for public debates deserve to be considered.

poundsand

Dayton, OH

#28772 Nov 5, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
Can anyone answer how we will end up with a UNION CONTROLLED board when only 1 of the 5 candidate have belonged to a union.(Unless Bitner and Vaughn have and aren't admitting it, they never show up to answer questions because they cannot think for themselves).
Makes one ask :
What are they hiding?
What are they afraid of?
good grief you are a broken record. Try going back and READING the last 6 pages and maybe you'll figure it out.
Vote Today

Dayton, OH

#28773 Nov 5, 2013
Malone was at the polls this morning doing what he always did at the high school. Stand around and smile and wave. Only people who do not want ANY accountability would vote for him. Heck of a nice guy but no substance in my opinion.
MSA

Springboro, OH

#28774 Nov 5, 2013
The community is voting for you today! Finally relief after 3 yrs of embarrassment. We are not letting the tea baggers take over. Bring in the republicans and democrats!
Heart Burn

United States

#28775 Nov 5, 2013
Vote Today wrote:
Malone was at the polls this morning doing what he always did at the high school. Stand around and smile and wave. Only people who do not want ANY accountability would vote for him. Heck of a nice guy but no substance in my opinion.
He had a cup of coffee in his hand when I voted....somebody better check to see if he is still awake.
Great Idea

United States

#28776 Nov 5, 2013
I've got it! Here's an idea everyone could get behind: remember the controversial push for a new charter school here in town not long ago? I'm second guessing myself now - I say let's do it -

- Petroni and Rigano can go over there to head up the Board! They can be Co-Presidents if they wish!
- Kohls can come back as Superintendent or Grand-Poobah or whatever she wants to rename the role!
- Wiedemann, since he obviously knows exactly how to do it, can serve in the combined role of Principal-Vice Principal-Counselor-Teacher-Se cretary-etc.!
- Bitner could obviously be comfortable as Head of Security!
- Vaughn, I don't know, he could handle PTO President?

Wiedeman probably has an airplane hanger where classes could meet, everyone would be assigned a gun upon entrance, and they could teach all the radical and fanatical topics that they want (creationism, elitism, right-wing nutjobbedness, how to host a tea party, etc.)! They could spend absolutely ZERO dollars on anything (that'd make them happy), and they could finally do away with sports or any other extracurricular activities that further teach real life-lessons! Anyone in town who wants their children to attend would be encouraged to go: the numbers must be upwards of a few dozen!

Yep, I'm convinced, a separate charter school here in town like the one I explained above would be a great idea!

However, FOR THE REST OF US IN SPRINGBORO, we'll take people from a more 'normal' conservative point of view to manage our already distinctly above-average children's education. An education in any school is what you put into it as a student - if we just don't have some of these drastically 'out-there' thinkers making our school nationally 'weird', our kids will be just fine, and able to become as successful as they decide to be!

I just voted MSA for Springboro School Board: those who value and understand 'normal' life should do the same!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Norris Lake (Apr '11) 1 hr KATBLUE 42
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr UnderstandPeople 20,032
"Conni Post didn't mention Muslim countries" 15 hr Leon Harrison 1
112 south clinton _ 613_ middletown_oh trash re... (Feb '14) 18 hr Quit Correcting e... 3
melissa Sue Dray 18 hr Quit Correcting e... 2
How do you make advocates and activists go away? 19 hr Tantor 2
How can we ridicule Trump as a fool? Sun Leon Harrison 2
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages