Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
28,161 - 28,180 of 31,199 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Oh My

Springboro, OH

#28669 Nov 3, 2013
by Jim Rigano

Extremists, radicals, fanatics! Sounds like a scary Halloween tale. Add in the words “tea party” and that’s supposed to make it a true horror story. Unfortunately, this is where some in our community have taken the dialog surrounding our school board and the upcoming election. It’s time for Toto to pull back the curtain and for us to elevate the conversation.

For the record, I do believe in limited government, fiscal responsibility, and free markets. I also believe that a free society requires virtuous people and that children need to learn these concepts. How confusing it must be for them to watch the behavior of adults and the tenor of the debate around our schools.

What has the school board done to invite this wrath? We are trying to change things in a few areas and the system would rather not change. Just like in Washington, opponents to change assign their targets what they believe are derogatory labels - "tea party", "extremist", "fanatic". However, if you were to ask what has been done that is "fanatical", you’ll get nothing more than generalities that have little basis in fact and are distorted to sound extreme.

If you asked me about the school board’s record over the last two years I would tell you about holding people accountable, uncovering embezzlement that had gone on for years, raising academic standards, increasing ACT scores, advocating for kids to take classes for college credit, restoring salary increases, controlling runaway medical insurance costs, balancing the budget (and giving the excess back), providing services for gifted students, reducing pay-to-play fees and increasing student participation, upgrading technology for online learning, instituting bring your own technology, reinstating high school busing, reinstating textbook purchases, reinstating a building maintenance program, and correcting numerous other deficiencies from years of administrative neglect.

You might recognize these things are good and are already implemented in other districts and ask why has it taken so long to address them in Springboro? I don’t know, but compared to the lethargic past, this has been a pretty “radical” two years. And to do all this while lowering taxes you would have to conclude these two years have been “fanatically” amazing and “extremely” successful.

At this point you might ask what this has to do with the upcoming school board election. This election will set a direction, backward or forward. The supporters of Malone and Stuckey tell you the current board is too “extreme”. Compared to the stagnation they are accustomed to, that is understandable. The other candidates are David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn. They are parents with young children enrolled in the district who are motivated to encourage our schools to continue to innovate, to offer more opportunities, and to keep children the board’s first priority.

On November 5th, we will make a decision. Will we choose based on the record, or the labels?
School District Voter

Springboro, OH

#28670 Nov 3, 2013
Stay Alert Voters -

While it is true that there are NO tickets NOR
voting blocks of school board candidates on the
ballot for voting -- just five candidates from which you are allowed to choose three...
only two are conservative candidates;
three are liberal candidates

On Tuesday, November 5th (or even before)

DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO VOTE FOR THREE!

YOU CAN VOTE FOR JUST TWO!

VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN
AS OUR NEXT TWO ELECTED BOARD REPRESENTATIVES!
**YOUR ONLY TWO CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES**

The future of our children's 21st century education with quality classroom professional educators depends upon it!

Vote Yes! Yes!
FOR BOTH DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN!

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#28671 Nov 3, 2013
figure out where you belong.

liberalism...moochers electing looters to steal from producers.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28672 Nov 3, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
So union's can make your car(s), deliver the energy to your house and entertain you at the theatre and on tv...
But teaching your kids is where you draw the line?
I think the writer said they would never vote for a union backed candidate.

Where did you get anything about teaching out of that comment?

No Debate, logical and coherent arguments please.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28673 Nov 3, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you work weekends? Did you get paid overtime for over 40 hours a week? Did the bicycle you ride to work comfortable and are you using a generator at your house or union delivered electricity?
Well, the only response I have is to vote for the three candidates who were not involved in dumbing down the high school curriculum.

Vote for Bitner, Vaughn, and Anderson
No debate means No choice

Maineville, OH

#28674 Nov 3, 2013
PARTISAN wrote:
<quoted text>
You a relative of Jimmy Hoffa ? And what part of NO don't you understand ?
Ok, so you have never worked weekends nor over 40 hours with no overtime pay, have never driven a car and have never had electricity to your house. Wait a minute, house may have been built with help of unions so you must live under a rock.

Got it.
partisan

Dayton, OH

#28675 Nov 3, 2013
The only thing you got is a hard on loving the union backed candidates.
No debate means No choice

Maineville, OH

#28676 Nov 3, 2013
partisan wrote:
The only thing you got is a hard on loving the union backed candidates.
Now that's the maturity I've come to expect around here. Are you old enough to vote yet?
partisan

Dayton, OH

#28677 Nov 3, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the only response I have is to vote for the three candidates who were not involved in dumbing down the high school curriculum.
Talked to a friend who knew this particular Anderson from way back then.....he said that particular Anderson was wishy washy on anything that the public wanted to know about school board decisions. HM..sounds like another school board Anderson..IS IT SOMETHING IN THE WATER ?
Water Pollution

Springboro, OH

#28678 Nov 3, 2013
partisan wrote:
<quoted text>
Talked to a friend who knew this particular Anderson from way back then.....he said that particular Anderson was wishy washy on anything that the public wanted to know about school board decisions. HM..sounds like another school board Anderson..IS IT SOMETHING IN THE WATER ?
Nothing in the water. Sounds like politics is dirty business.

...you can go into it clean; but you can't come out clean.
Did You Know

Springboro, OH

#28679 Nov 3, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
DID YOU KNOW... The Best Ever Response is

ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 5th,

DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO VOTE FOR THREE!

YOU CAN VOTE FOR JUST TWO!

VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN FOR
SPRINGBORO SCHOOL BOARD!

If you believe overtaxing the taxpayers is wrong,

If you believe that leveraging school fees, services, personnel decisions, safety, or infrastructure maintenance to threaten families in order to influence regular or levy elections is wrong,

If you believe in order to deliver the highest level of education wemust raise the bar well past the state minimums and strive to challenge our children, parents, and staff to reach higher,

If you believe that the future belongs to technology and support its rational integration into our district's programs,

Then please join other who BELIEVE ....

Look at Today and the Future!

Vote for VICTORY on November 5th for BOTH our Conservative candidates...

David Bitner AND Kolton Vaughn as our next TWO elected
BOE officials in First and Second Place!

There can only be TWO candidates at the top of the leader
board! Every Vote Counts! Please make sure that your one voice counts for BOTH conservative candidates!
Spread The Great News

Springboro, OH

#28680 Nov 3, 2013
Stay Alert Voters! Each one of us in this community has ONE
opportunity to VOTE for only TWO conservative school board candidates, IF we believe that David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn should be elected as the First and Second board representative.

The third "wheel" will be broken, no matter which one of the Threesome of Ron Malone, David Stuckey, or Charles Anderson rolls into third place! Third place winner is just symbolism; no
substance! Why waste a vote trying to influence electing one of the three liberal candidates?

WHY NOT USE JUST TWO VOTES TO BRING VICTORY TO
OUR ONLY TWO CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES?

VOTE FOR BOTH DAVID BITNER/KOLTON VAUGHN!
YOUR ONLY TWO CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES WHO MUST
COME IN FIRST AND SECOND!
motorvoter

Mason, OH

#28681 Nov 3, 2013
At a recent school board meeting Kohls/Rigano/Petroni received a report back regarding classes taught by a conspiracy group from someone I can't easily distinguish from this criminal:

www.splcenter.org/blog/2013/11/02/hatewatch-e...
No friends

Springboro, OH

#28682 Nov 3, 2013
Partisan/Parise you have no friends. You are only here for the town to laugh at. Quit making up stuff.
truth to power

Springboro, OH

#28683 Nov 3, 2013
Stay Alert Voters wrote:
<quoted text>
If you watched the TV news last night, then you should know that
Anderson really did not orchestate all of this as a tactic against Bitner and Vaughn, Because....
Our School Board member, David Petroni, spoke to the cameras on the news last night, telling the public why the Paid for by Educate Springboro signs are posted around town.
People in this community were informed that Educate Springboro
spent THEIR money to advance THEIR opinion on who they would
like elected to their school board, "for the children."
Because it is a PAC, Educate Springboro has every right to endorse any candidate, with or without their permission. Long before Educate Springboro's endorsement, I decided I'd vote for Bitner Vaughn and Anderson because Bitner Vaughn and Anderson have valuable private sector business related skills to bring to the board room.
Being lifetime educators, both Malone and Stuckey might be OK at interpreting and making policies. But having no business background neither Malone nor Stuckey has any clue about budgets and five year forecasts.

Vote Bitner Vaughn Anderson
Picture It

Springboro, OH

#28684 Nov 3, 2013
motorvoter wrote:
At a recent school board meeting Kohls/Rigano/Petroni received a report back regarding classes taught by a conspiracy group from someone I can't easily distinguish from this criminal:
www.splcenter.org/blog/2013/11/02/hatewatch-e...
Obviously your biased dark tunnel vision could see only your hatred
and hostility toward school board members Dr. Kohls, Mr. Rigano, and Mr. Petroni.

Those who were there with a broader, reform minded vision,
saw a concerned Springboro parent, who obviously is an independent thinker, presenting a review to our FIVE fabulous board members, school district leaders, and community members, commenting on an
independent study course in which he and his Springboro student had interest.

God Bless America! and May God Bless You!

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#28685 Nov 3, 2013
No friends wrote:
Partisan/Parise you have no friends. You are only here for the town to laugh at. Quit making up stuff.
Jobe, just how many alias do you have ? And you are the campaign manager of Malone/stucky/Anderson? You are setting a poor example to the clan you are backing..Keep up the good work...you are getting more votes for others the more you shoot your mouth off.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28686 Nov 3, 2013
That was some turnout for the big MSA union rally fighting against free speech and the right to voice one's opinion.

Television always covers union rallies, we only wish that more than 70 people would have shown up to fight against our first amendment rights.

In case those fighting the bad fight need a refresher course in basic parts of the Constitution, here it is.

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that comprise the Bill of Rights.
Inquiring Minds

Springboro, OH

#28687 Nov 3, 2013
truth to power wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it is a PAC, Educate Springboro has every right to endorse any candidate, with or without their permission. Long before Educate Springboro's endorsement, I decided I'd vote for Bitner Vaughn and Anderson because Bitner Vaughn and Anderson have valuable private sector business related skills to bring to the board room.
Being lifetime educators, both Malone and Stuckey might be OK at interpreting and making policies. But having no business background neither Malone nor Stuckey has any clue about budgets and five year forecasts.
Vote Bitner Vaughn Anderson
Totally Agree with your point about Educate Springboro's rights of endorsement; and I haven't heard anyone around town question that right. I have heard lots of folks questioning the "reason for it all" at this late hour. What was the urgency of driving through the darkness of night proclaiming with expensive signs their
choice of school board candidates?

I have heard lots of people point out, as you have, that they had already decided, from the beginning of the school board campaigns, exactly how they would vote; and I have heard lots of people say they have already voted their choice of one, two, or all three candidates.

Inquiring minds do question exactly What was the Point of two board members making such a big deal about telling the public
their choice of candidates?

Other than slightly bruising the
morale of the Two conservative candidates, who are now being bombarded and badgered and falsely accused by the MSA supporters for pulling this dirty "gotcha" trick on the innocent older gentleman, Mr. Anderson, when everyone knows a more deserving soul than Mr. Anderson cannot be found anywhere in Springboro...?

I did notice that Mr. Anderson had carefully prepared his response
to the TV news, sitting comfortably in his chair with his precious grandchild in sight...everything carefully pre-arranged to play the victim role...

while the Bitner/Vaughn campaign hurriedly tried getting out a press release, and unfortunately, was misquoted by the TV news reporter...

BUT, it is agreed that Educate Springboro has every right...
even if it does cause some of the school board candidates
feel they were wronged.
Inquiring Minds

Springboro, OH

#28688 Nov 3, 2013
IF YOU BELIEVE...

THAT WE MUST ELECT A CONSERVATIVE MAJORITY TO
FILL THE THREE OPEN BOE POSITIONS, THEN VOTE ONLY
FOR BOTH DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN!

On November 5th (or even before)

Don't feel obligated to vote for three!

You CAN vote for just TWO!

VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN FOR
SPRINGBORO SCHOOL BOARD!
YOUR ONLY TWO CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATES!

It's for our children, our community and toward a better future
for our schools!

VOTE FOR BITNER/VAUGHN!
November 5th, 2013

VOTE FOR RENEWAL LEVY THAT SAVES TAXPAYERS
$6.5 MILLION!

It's for our children, our community and toward a better future for our schools!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 25 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30,533
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr see the light 18,872
This is why I am an Ann Fan! 6 hr Ann Fan 3
looking for a text buddy (Nov '12) 13 hr bill 44
Aaron fannigan Fri he aint all into you 2
Found dog! (Dec '13) Aug 27 Hero Officer Wilson 7
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! Aug 27 Gun Nut 38
•••
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••