Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31879 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

parent

Girard, OH

#28189 Oct 23, 2013
Remember in November wrote:
<quoted text>
Rumor has it around town that school board member Don Miller has joined with others who only want Kolton Vaughn and Charles Anderson as the next TWO elected officials; and this group does not want David Bitner elected.
As for me and my household of voters, we will campaign ONLY
for the election of the TWO Children's First school board candidates, DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN as our next two
board representatives....
With David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn joining Jim Rigano and David Petroni, we will ensure a 4-1 BOE CHildren's First BOE majority!
And that's a good thing for all students, teacher, school employees and community taxpayers, regardless of which one of the union first candidates comes in third place on November 5th!
VOTE NOVEMBER 5th!
FOR CHILDREN FIRST!
VOTE ONLY FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN!
The future of our schools and community depend upon it!
THANK YOU!
After having met and spoken with both Bitner and Vaughn a while back, I liked them both. What is clearest is both of them have a strong grasp on the bigger picture, an important concept that's been long extinguished in the myopic minds of union-brainwashed Malone and Stuckey. Some things Vaughn in particular had to say about Boro's academic and budget status left me with a very positive impression. While speaking with Vaughn, for a second or two I experienced deja vu in that Petroni and I were talking. David Petroni is unquestionably the most effective and hardest working individual sitting on Springboro's school board. Another person or two on the school board with Petroni's knowledge, energy and savvy wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
Remember in November

Akron, OH

#28190 Oct 23, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Vote for whomever you wish, but three people will be elected whether or not you choose to participate or not.
If you wish others to make the choice for you, that is right.
Vote Anderson, Bitner, Vaughn
Thank You, Mr. Wiedeman, for granting my "wish" to vote
for whomever; and I do not believe that others are making
MY choice by voting "their choice" of a third candidate;
since I only choose TWO candidates that fit in with my winning ticket of putting OUR CHILDREN FIRST.... my choice of voting
for only the two candidates that I TRUST is RIGHT for me;
those trusting in a third candidate are making their choice;
not choosing FOR me.

Because it is Right for me, I believe my privilege is to
vote FOR the TWO candidates that I believe in; and not a
REQUIREMENT to vote for a third candidate.

ON NOVEMBER 5th...

VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN!
THESE TWO GOOD MEN ARE ALL THAT WE NEED TO
HAVE AN ELECTED CHILDREN'S FIRST BUDGETING
BOE MAJORITY!.... and that's a good thing!
Remember in November

Akron, OH

#28191 Oct 23, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
You act as though this is a monolithic school board.
Let us all be reminded how Kelly Kohls voted to give away $90,000 of the taxpayers money to a group that sold our gymnasiums at a profit. The group sold back to the taxpayers, who funded the construction, the right for their children to play in the gyms the taxpayers owned. When asked to pay the standard fees that had been on the books for years, they balked at paying the school district. The group claimed that a former superintendent waived their fees in the midst of a levy campaign being run because the district was ostensibly broke.
Mrs. Kohls graciously agreed to let them keep the $90,000 they had collected over the past three years and they could then begin paying at a dramatically reduced rate for the future.
A rational person does not sell a scarce resource for a discount.
It would have been wonderful if the group selling the gyms back to the public had reduced their costs to the citizens of this community who funded their construction and upkeep, but the group did not.
The group just kept the fees the same and made even more money for a private group that was not even a 501(c)3.
Just goes to show that you can't purchase friends with other people's money, they still won't like you.
So much for your vaunted 4-1 majority.
Well duh there, doug!.... so much for YOUR male ego!

Now, exactly how does that answer YOUR question, posted all over town, asking:

How would a union controlled school board use your
tax dollars?

...not sure what you mean about "vaunted"....
but my reference to the 4-1 majority of board members simple means that Don Miller is the only ONE of the board members left who was part of the good old boys union board majority, way back in time, when all this high pay to play business was first started by former athletic director, Troy Holtrey, and former school administrators Baker/Dettwiler/Long.

Without Kelly Kohls coming on board in 2010, we probably would
not have the amazing expertise of our children's first school board/budget committee members, Jim Rigano and David Petroni, who have done so much good leading our school district in the right direction of fiscal responsibility and highest academic achievement for all students. Hooray for US! and a big Thank You and Gobs of Appreciation are due our current "four" responsible budgeting school board members,
Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, David Petroni, and Wendy Kull!

....Just don't trust Don Miller's judgement, because of his previous 8 years of pro-union first service while keeping our kid's first interest left behind... neither do I trust Miller's endorsement of only TWO school board candidates, Anderson and Vaughn, which is nothing less than the union's strategy to
split the conservative ticket and conquer the school board election for the union majority school board candidates
threesome - Malone,Stuckey,Anderson.

Could it be that "insider Don" already knows the fool-proof plan that pro-union lover, Ron Malone, will be ONE of the three elected officials come November 5; and that Don wants to make sure that the NEITHER of the TWO Conservative candidates are elected?
November and Beyond

Akron, OH

#28192 Oct 23, 2013
Truth Is... Mr. Stuckey stated in the DDN that he and Mr. Malone were running for school board, and that they were seeking a
third candidate, of like mind, to run as a majority to get elected to the board so that the direction in which our current board is leading could be changed....

Inquiring minds would ask Mr. Anderson why he cozied up as a
threesome to run for election with retired public education leaders to take back "their" board to change reform minded directions back to old outdated "status quo?"

If Mr. Anderson is such a "good fit" with Bitner/Vaughn to
elect as our third Children's First budgeting board representative, then why is he cozily fitting in as a Threesome with Malone and Stuckey during the election campaign?

REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR SUCCESS ON NOVEMBER 5th...AND BEYOND!

VOTE ONLY FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN
AS OUR NEXT TWO
BOARD REPRESENTATIVES!

Fresh ideas have allowed our district to sustain itself in an uncertain economy with NO new money required...

As elected board representatives, David Bitner
and Kolton Vaughn will continue leading our school district in the direction of common sense and fiscal responsibility, challenging the status quo
where need be... and THAT IS A GOOD THING!
Lerxst

Miamisburg, OH

#28193 Oct 23, 2013
November and Beyond wrote:
REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR SUCCESS ON NOVEMBER 5th...AND BEYOND!
VOTE ONLY FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN AS OUR NEXT TWO BOARD REPRESENTATIVES!
Look, no matter how you cut it you are getting three new board members. Two of the five are very appealing. The rest...not so much. That said, why not have a hand in selecting which one of those three will likely offer the least resistance to current policy? If you don't choose you are letting someone else do the choosing for you.
Hunka Burning Love

Akron, OH

#28194 Oct 23, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
Rumor is that NFSS officer Tiffany Carlisle is at odds with most of her usual chicken little side kicks. The rumor stems from her possibly supporting Kolton Vaughn and not the entire MSA ticket.
Way to think outside the box you've been painted in Tiffany.
Vaughn, Bitner, Anderson this November 5th.
Truth is that all NFSS/Union Activists for SURE have nothing
but a cold hearted 'hunka burning love' all false gods of
unionism; and they want nothing more but to further indoctrinate all students into the union's gospel ministry of fighting social justice for the union classroom teacher's best interest/financial gain!

...loving them some unionism is just like riding a bicycle!
Once they learn the "HOW TO" of loving them some unionism;
they will never forget... nor forsake.

Don't be deceived into a pity party for the Levy Ladies,
thinking they are shut out of the Malone/Stuckey/Anderson
threesome! It's all monolithic strategy! The false religion
of Unionism is like unto a structure of a single block of stone;
with their old outdated 1983 collective bargaining "laws"
etching away our children's 21st century education!

on a lighter side of the MSA signs of darkness...
Rumor has it that plans are already being made for the levy lady queen to "jump out of the cake"
at the MSA victory party!
... and the fat lady has already been chosen to sing praise
and worship to the false gods of education, celebrating
happy days are here again, TIME TO PASS THE COLLECTION PLATES!
Remember in November

Akron, OH

#28195 Oct 23, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, no matter how you cut it you are getting three new board members. Two of the five are very appealing. The rest...not so much. That said, why not have a hand in selecting which one of those three will likely offer the least resistance to current policy? If you don't choose you are letting someone else do the choosing for you.
Lighten Up! I'm only one voice, one vote for Bitner and one
vote for Vaughn, no need to jump on the bandwagon with Doug
to enlighten on how I should express my own Right to Vote;
No Requirement to Vote.

Perhaps you remember the popular song made famous by "old blue eyes" ..."I did it my way - no regrets?"

We all have one voice and one vote for each of our chosen candidates; and if we all do it "our way" then in No Way
should we have regrets on November 6, no matter which way
the majority vote goes on election day!

Isn't that a good thing?

GOD BLESS AMERICA and GOD BLESS YOU!

Now on to Victory on November 5!
VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN
who are the only TWO candidates who are
the right fit to lead our school district
in the direction of highest academic achievement
for all students, while living within the
framework of our Children's First Budget.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28196 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Thank You, Mr. Wiedeman, for granting my "wish" to vote
for whomever; and I do not believe that others are making
MY choice by voting "their choice" of a third candidate;
since I only choose TWO candidates that fit in with my winning ticket of putting OUR CHILDREN FIRST.... my choice of voting
for only the two candidates that I TRUST is RIGHT for me;
those trusting in a third candidate are making their choice;
not choosing FOR me.
Because it is Right for me, I believe my privilege is to
vote FOR the TWO candidates that I believe in; and not a
REQUIREMENT to vote for a third candidate.
ON NOVEMBER 5th...
VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN!
THESE TWO GOOD MEN ARE ALL THAT WE NEED TO
HAVE AN ELECTED CHILDREN'S FIRST BUDGETING
BOE MAJORITY!.... and that's a good thing!
Anytime I can grant you a wish my dear I will feel free to do so.

Vote Anderson Bitner Vaughn
Remember in November

Akron, OH

#28197 Oct 23, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Let freedom ring! God Bless America!

Isn't it great to live in this great nation where we each
have the privilege to vote; but not the requirement to
vote for the lesser of the three evils?

Wouldn't it be great to work in a state where all people
had the Right To Work without the Requirement of either
voting to join the Union and pay big dues; OR be charged
a portion of the dues to join the Union's hostility against you?
Kinda like giving in to voting for the lesser of two evils,
and that's NOT a good thing!
riot

Springboro, OH

#28198 Oct 23, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
This latest banter back and forth is a riot. All these Bitner/Vaughn people arguing about whom to vote for - and you all are supposedly on the same side in your politics! Wonder why this community is the way it is right now?

Can't believe I am saying this but Mr. Wiedeman is exactly right. There are THREE seats up and one side only has two running. Math is simple - politics not so much. You need to vote for three. You might as well have a say in who the third person will be.
Stay Focused

Akron, OH

#28199 Oct 23, 2013
Let's Stay Focused on the $54 Million Dollar
question:

HOW WOULD A UNION CONTROLLED SCHOOL BOARD USE
YOUR TAXES?

This is a pivotal school board election. The outcome of this election will affect the direction of this district for years, and possibly decades to come. We may choose to regress toward a repetition of many of the mistakes this district has made in the past by consciously voting for a union-controlled school board.

Or we can stay the course by continuing in a fiscally responsible manner, ensuring that meeting kids’ educational needs are the first priority. The school board exists to represent the interests of parents and the public providing a check and balance to assure the school system meets the needs of the community.
Parent and community representation are critical. David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn are both parents of children enrolled in Springboro Schools and have committed to making education their top priority. Bitner and Vaughn support the “Children First” philosophy.

Two of David’s and Kolton’s opponents – Ron Malone, former high school principal and David Stuckey a former teacher – retired this last year. Electing these two and their partner Charles Anderson would create a school board where none of the 5 members is parent with children enrolled in school. My advice is to elect a couple of men with young kids to the board. The school district already has 400 employees with Education background and experience.

Unions are doing to public education what they have done to GM and Chrysler. Quality of education is declining as the unions force more money into compensation and away from improving the product – highly educated children. The result is persistent requests for additional taxes as the school system’s resources are drained.

Our board has been able to strike a balance that is sustainable, but negotiations will begin again in March 2015. The teacher’s union supports the Malone, Stuckey, Anderson ticket and hopes to get two very friendly allies on the school board. It is important to have Bitner and Vaughn on the board as advocates for parents and children during the next round of negotiations.
A UNION CONTROLLED BOARD WILL PLACE PRIORITY ON MEETING THE DESIRES OF ITS MEMBERS.

On November 5th, please vote for our only TWO
non-union school board candidates, Parents
Representing Parents, BITNER/VAUGHN, who should
be our next two elected board representatives.
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#28201 Oct 23, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
You act as though this is a monolithic school board.
Let us all be reminded how Kelly Kohls voted to give away $90,000 of the taxpayers money to a group that sold our gymnasiums at a profit. The group sold back to the taxpayers, who funded the construction, the right for their children to play in the gyms the taxpayers owned. When asked to pay the standard fees that had been on the books for years, they balked at paying the school district. The group claimed that a former superintendent waived their fees in the midst of a levy campaign being run because the district was ostensibly broke.
Mrs. Kohls graciously agreed to let them keep the $90,000 they had collected over the past three years and they could then begin paying at a dramatically reduced rate for the future.
A rational person does not sell a scarce resource for a discount.
It would have been wonderful if the group selling the gyms back to the public had reduced their costs to the citizens of this community who funded their construction and upkeep, but the group did not.
The group just kept the fees the same and made even more money for a private group that was not even a 501(c)3.
Just goes to show that you can't purchase friends with other people's money, they still won't like you.
So much for your vaunted 4-1 majority.
School board members Don Miller and Wendy Kull also agreed
with Kelly Kohls on this vote. Wonder why Mr. Wiedeman is
targeting only Kelly Kohls on this blog? And why now?
common ground

Girard, OH

#28202 Oct 23, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Vote for whomever you wish, but three people will be elected whether or not you choose to participate or not.
If you wish others to make the choice for you, that is right.
Vote Anderson, Bitner, Vaughn
Thank you, Doug Wiedeman. Your sentiment is logical and wise.

Each and every registered voter in this district has the option of voting for either ONE, TWO, or THREE school board candidates. Regardless of how many candidates anyone chooses to vote for, THREE new board members will be elected on November 5th.

Most voters tend to look for and vote for candidates who they share common ground with. In a three seat election, if a voter feels they "share common ground" with only two candidates, politics101 dictates the remaining third ballot should be awarded to the candidate who a given voter considers to be the next best option. Or, to put it in a glass-half-empty perspective ... give the 3rd vote to the "least of the evils". In doing this, an individual voter works to build the vote count against the fouth and fifth candidates, the ones he perceives to be the "worst of the evils".
Keep It Simple

Akron, OH

#28203 Oct 23, 2013
common ground wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Doug Wiedeman. Your sentiment is logical and wise.
Each and every registered voter in this district has the option of voting for either ONE, TWO, or THREE school board candidates. Regardless of how many candidates anyone chooses to vote for, THREE new board members will be elected on November 5th.
Most voters tend to look for and vote for candidates who they share common ground with. In a three seat election, if a voter feels they "share common ground" with only two candidates, politics101 dictates the remaining third ballot should be awarded to the candidate who a given voter considers to be the next best option. Or, to put it in a glass-half-empty perspective ... give the 3rd vote to the "least of the evils". In doing this, an individual voter works to build the vote count against the fouth and fifth candidates, the ones he perceives to be the "worst of the evils".
All's Ima Saying... no need to build the vote count against the
fourth and fifth candidates, by voting for a third candidate, just because the third candidate is the lesser of the three MSA evils.

Common sense 100% dictates that we can only vote FOR a candidate; the worst of the evils is trying to vote AGAINST the fourth and fifth. IF you only have two candidates on the ballot with whom you share common ground, then you only have two candidates for whom you can vote. On November 5th, we have a clear division in our school district politics. Both sides are assuming that their candidates will be the top two; and that Anderson will be the
third for either Malone/Stuckey or Bitner/Vaughn.
Let's say that Malone is the top vote getter; and Stuckey is
the second; then voting for Anderson would push Kolton/Bitner into fourth and fifth ... all the way out of the board room.
Even with the skill of the political consultants studying voting
patterns, there is no certainty that Bitner/Vaughn are going to
be the two top vote getters; so voting FOR the lesser of the evils may very well split the conservative ticket, pushing one or both,
out of the board room.
I'm sure that the union strategy of Malone/Stuckey finding just the right fit in choosing Anderson for a threesome win in November is their reasoning that conservatives would always vote for the "lesser of the evils"
and it does appear that some conservatives will fall right in
with the union's collective thinking... if you "tell" them to choose three, they will not think independently, but will choose three, even if one of the three is the "opposition."

But as for me and my household of voters, we will vote only for
the two candidates that are the right ones for the job.
On November 5th, Vote for David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn!
These Two good men elected as two top vote getters is a good thing! It's a Win-Win Ticket for All!
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28204 Oct 23, 2013
Question Everything wrote:
<quoted text>
School board members Don Miller and Wendy Kull also agreed
with Kelly Kohls on this vote. Wonder why Mr. Wiedeman is
targeting only Kelly Kohls on this blog? And why now?
Mrs. Kohls was the one who abandoned her principals and supporters.

Perhaps had she not we would have had the floor at the Intermediate School gym refinished, the girls would have had a locker room that would have been on par with the boys, and the junior high gym would have been refurbished with money that was due and owed the school district.

A year later none of that is done, the floors continue to deteriorate and the girls remain in substandard facilities. Mrs. Kohls had the opportunity to fix these things but she chose instead to choose a solution that she hoped would reward her politically.

Instead Mrs. Kohls let a private group walk off with the money that was due the taxpayers of this school district.

Who will now make up that $90,000 that she let walk with her vote?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28205 Oct 23, 2013
<quoted text>

....Just don't trust Don Miller's judgement, because of his previous 8 years of pro-union first service while keeping our kid's first interest left behind... neither do I trust Miller's endorsement of only TWO school board candidates, Anderson and Vaughn, which is nothing less than the union's strategy to
split the conservative ticket and conquer the school board election for the union majority school board candidates
threesome - Malone,Stuckey,Anderson.
Could it be that "insider Don" already knows the fool-proof plan that pro-union lover, Ron Malone, will be ONE of the three elected officials come November 5; and that Don wants to make sure that the NEITHER of the TWO Conservative candidates are elected?
Actually I have come to respect Mr. Miller's judgement, when presented with the facts the past year and a half he generally made the right decision regardless of whom you believe he is affiliated with in this universe. If he challenged a position it made the opposition sharpen its argument to win his support and that served all involved well.

The person who has lost my support as I learned more about the machinations of board politics is the ever preening Mrs. Kohls. While many of the attacks upon her personal life were uncalled for and just mean, her professional demeanor and actions provided much fodder for the fire.
Another View

Akron, OH

#28206 Oct 23, 2013
I strongly disagree with the opinion posted on this blog... that board member Kelly Kohls let a private group walk off with "money."

I did not agree with board members Kelly Kohls, Don Miller, and Wendy Kull who had the majority vote to approve the contract; but I do remember that the board listened to all comments made by participating citizens; and the board listened to the public comments that Mr.Petrey made to the board, in arguement of all the good things that accepting that money right now could do "for the kids."
This action was taken during the public board meeting, open and transparent, and the majority vote of three board members in favor of accepting the contract is legally exactly how the board should be conducting all business. Therefore, neither of the three board members, Kelly Kohls, Don Miller, nor Wendy Kull, who approved a legal contract (which the superintendent had brought to the board)"let" money walk away.

Truth be told, if Kelly Kohls had voted No with Jim Rigano and David Petroni, then Kelly's political opposition most likely would have
pre-arranged another community-wide hissy fit in front of the TV cameras, demanding that this board show respect, and vowing to vote for revenge and take back "THEIR" board, once again returning
sanity and Pride to the boro board room.
Stay Focused

Akron, OH

#28207 Oct 23, 2013
Let's Stay Focused on the $54 Million Dollar
question:

HOW WOULD A UNION CONTROLLED SCHOOL BOARD USE
YOUR TAXES?

This is a pivotal school board election. The outcome of this election will affect the direction of this district for years, and possibly decades to come. We may choose to regress toward a repetition of many of the mistakes this district has made in the past by consciously voting for a union-controlled school board.

Or we can stay the course by continuing in a fiscally responsible manner, ensuring that meeting kids’ educational needs are the first priority. The school board exists to represent the interests of parents and the public providing a check and balance to assure the school system meets the needs of the community.
Parent and community representation are critical. David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn are both parents of children enrolled in Springboro Schools and have committed to making education their top priority. Bitner and Vaughn support the “Children First” philosophy.

Two of David’s and Kolton’s opponents – Ron Malone, former high school principal and David Stuckey a former teacher – retired this last year. Electing these two and their partner Charles Anderson would create a school board where none of the 5 members is parent with children enrolled in school. My advice is to elect a couple of men with young kids to the board. The school district already has 400 employees with Education background and experience.

Unions are doing to public education what they have done to GM and Chrysler. Quality of education is declining as the unions force more money into compensation and away from improving the product – highly educated children. The result is persistent requests for additional taxes as the school system’s resources are drained.

Our board has been able to strike a balance that is sustainable, but negotiations will begin again in March 2015. The teacher’s union supports the Malone, Stuckey, Anderson ticket and hopes to get two very friendly allies on the school board. It is important to have Bitner and Vaughn on the board as advocates for parents and children during the next round of negotiations.
A UNION CONTROLLED BOARD WILL PLACE PRIORITY ON MEETING THE DESIRES OF ITS MEMBERS.

On November 5th, please vote for our only TWO
non-union school board candidates, Parents
Representing Parents, BITNER/VAUGHN, who should
be our next two elected board representatives.
Wake up Springboro

Girard, OH

#28208 Oct 23, 2013
test
Wake up Springboro

Girard, OH

#28210 Oct 23, 2013
November 5 - Anderson / Bitner / Vaughn

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dayton's Best Pizza? Really!? (Nov '14) 4 hr The real deal 13
Review: LKQ Pick Your Part - Dayton 18 hr jblanton 1
don't waste your time or gas applying at Fuyao. (Jan '15) Thu Kent Grind 40
Today's Leon Harrison Quotation Jul 29 Leon Harrison 29
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jul 28 Samuel-7g-Jackson 20,089
7-26-15 Updated sincere form letter Jul 28 The Old Cold Warrior 3
Trump was a draft dodger Jul 28 The Old Cold Warrior 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages