Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,302

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28083 Oct 17, 2013
No nothing wrote:
<quoted text>Nice.....blame it on the boosters! It's not their responsibility to pay for coaches and it's not their fault there's a gap. Don't lower Pay to participate and there won't be a gap.
Or we could stop stealing from the organizations and run a clean program with real costs and incomes in plain sight instead of behind a smoke screen.

After we have run a year or so with a real commitment towards doing the right thing, maybe we can see we we truly lie in regards to this financing.

I would like to forward the proposition that the money recovered from Mr. Harves belongs to the parents of the children who paid the pay to participate fees.

After all, those parents were the ones making up the shortfalls in revenues due to the continued theft that was occurring in the high school's support organization that Mr. Malone was supposed to be overseeing.
miller tyme

Girard, OH

#28084 Oct 17, 2013
Just Asking wrote:
<quoted text>
Stay Alert Voters! Why is our current pro-union school board member, Don Miller, who has decided not to run for re-election, now trying to influence the election with his endorsement in the DDN of Kolton Vaughn and Charles Anderson? Could it be the old "divide and conquer" political strategy that our liberal frenemies from across the aisle are so deeply embedded?
Think about it...we already know that darling old man who has been a princiPAL for the PAST thirteen years is a shoe in...
hmmm... could this push from pro-union board member Miller to endorse splitting the Responsible Budgeting Bitner/Vaughn ticket be a S-U-R-E win-win-win on November 5th for union-first school board candidates Malone/Stuckey/Anderson?
Don Miller's opinions and viewpoints haven't garnered a great deal of respect during his four years on the board. What makes you think that might change now?
Just Saying

Akron, OH

#28085 Oct 17, 2013
miller tyme wrote:
<quoted text>
Don Miller's opinions and viewpoints haven't garnered a great deal of respect during his four years on the board. What makes you think that might change now?
Education is not about respect...

"Education is about power and money and who gets to control
both." -Thomas Gunlock, State Board of Education

How would a union-first Malone/Stuckey/Anderson board majority
mis-use our children's first budgeting school tax dollars?

Based on Mr. Malone's past history, when he was given a choice last March 2012 to decide between Students first best interest,
OR making the SEA president, Mr. Maney and his staff happy,
Mr. Malone led our high school students in protest of board authority in order to bend to the will of the SEA president's
"happiness."

Remember in November to Vote ONLY for Students First/Responsible Budgeting school board candidates,
DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN
It's a winning ticket for ALL (no matter which union-first school board candidate comes in third)!
Just Saying

Akron, OH

#28086 Oct 17, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think they are related.
Vote Bitner, Vaughn, and Anderson
Scott Anderson and Charles Anderson are not related;
but they are both former BOE members.

Scott Anderson was the BOE president who teamed up with
board member Don Miller, along with Ron Malone and Scott Maney,
in efforts of the union to push newly elected children's first board members out of public service, by staging a "re-instate Ron Malone" student/community wide protest during March 2012.

Charles Anderson was board member during the 90's, which would have produced the Baker era of good old boy union-first years.

Aren't Don Miller and Ron Malone the last of the "good old boys" that were actively serving in leadership all the way back to the beginning of former athletic director, Troy Holtrey, presenting to the board his recommendation of the high pay to play fees?

Our school district has certainly come a long way from way back then... Why would anyone who cares about our school children and community NOT vote for school board candidates DAVID BITNER and
KOLTON VAUGHN who are already on board with wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility?

VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER AND KOLTON VAUGHN!
STUDENTS FIRST/RESPONSIBLE BUDGETING!
A WINNING TICKET FOR ALL!
Bang the Drum

Dayton, OH

#28087 Oct 17, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Or we could stop stealing from the organizations and run a clean program with real costs and incomes in plain sight instead of behind a smoke screen.
After we have run a year or so with a real commitment towards doing the right thing, maybe we can see we we truly lie in regards to this financing.
I would like to forward the proposition that the money recovered from Mr. Harves belongs to the parents of the children who paid the pay to participate fees.
After all, those parents were the ones making up the shortfalls in revenues due to the continued theft that was occurring in the high school's support organization that Mr. Malone was supposed to be overseeing.
You just don't get it, the money was stolen from the fundraising efforts of the boosters and the teams, not the school. The money had been repaid. It's the BOEs job to figure out why there is a shortfall, maybe because there are less than half a dozen of sports that are profitable, the rest run a deficit. The SAB should not fill a gap they did not create! The money should go to help the schools with major repairs such as new tennis courts and a new track.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#28088 Oct 18, 2013
huh? the boosters are a separate group until the last election the BOE could not follow their own monies boosters they help the SPORTS ITS the board of EDUCATION
Bang the Drum wrote:
<quoted text>You just don't get it, the money was stolen from the fundraising efforts of the boosters and the teams, not the school. The money had been repaid. It's the BOEs job to figure out why there is a shortfall, maybe because there are less than half a dozen of sports that are profitable, the rest run a deficit. The SAB should not fill a gap they did not create! The money should go to help the schools with major repairs such as new tennis courts and a new track.
Not A Chance

Akron, OH

#28089 Oct 18, 2013
No nothing wrote:
<quoted text>Shame on the Boosters? JC, don't you think they feel bad enough that they where duped by someone they trusted? Haven't you ever been screwed over before?
Not a Chance that the Boosters shame and blame on Springboro's taxpaying homeowners could dupe taxpayers; Springboro voters are smart enough to fail five unnecessary school tax levy increases; and smart enough to fail a CCFD Kidd 93% fire levy tax increase this past May.
Gone are the days when smart voters can be emotionally blackmailed into voting tax increases on our our own family homes, just to pay away the Boosters' bad feelings for being duped by one of their very own trusted officials.
Haven't you ever had to stop whining, count your losses, take reponsibility for your bad financial decisions, and just move on to higher ground of accountability working within the law?
Or do you believe that the Athletic Boosters are above the law; and should be bailed out of financial difficulty by those who had no input into how the Athletics Boosters were running their outside sports business, using the resources of Springboro students and tax-payer funded schools, for their own personal
financial gain?
Where is the $439,000 that was stolen from the students/parents who were paying to participate in the sports program?
And why is the athletic director now whining to taxpayers for
more, more, more...?
Excuse Me

Akron, OH

#28090 Oct 18, 2013
BoroMio wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously. For some reason I feel like I am missing out on a philosophy or something. I have learned more from this forum than any of the candidates or that SURE page. Just trying to get in the loop with you guys.
If you want to get in the loop with the TRUTH about Springboro schools, TWO words say it all... Educate Springboro...

check out this informative website and sign up to get in the
loop to learn about exciting things happening in our schools and community:

http:/educatespringboro.org/
real information here

Miamisburg, OH

#28092 Oct 18, 2013
BoroMio wrote:
<quoted text>
We are new to Boro. What does S.T.A.R.S mean?
Lookup facebook Stars springboro... you will find a facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/SpringboroSTARS
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28093 Oct 18, 2013
Bang the Drum wrote:
<quoted text>You just don't get it, the money was stolen from the fundraising efforts of the boosters and the teams, not the school. The money had been repaid. It's the BOEs job to figure out why there is a shortfall, maybe because there are less than half a dozen of sports that are profitable, the rest run a deficit. The SAB should not fill a gap they did not create! The money should go to help the schools with major repairs such as new tennis courts and a new track.
Mr. Malone as principal is responsible for overseeing the various activities that support his school.

All of the money has not been repaid, they can not even give you a firm idea of how much was stolen.
The only thing the prosecutors could do was go back to the checks this man wrote to himself which the bank still had records. As a corporation you only need to go back 7 years for retention purposes.

The amount they discovered was based on checks Mr. Harves was writing to himself for the past 7 years. They contain no amounts prior to that because no records exist. They contain no cash thefts, because no one bothered to count the money before they turned it over to Mr. Harves for depositing.

If a chucklehead like me can see something is not right in the program after one visit, how did it escape the notice of an ever vigilant Mr. Malone?

I agree completely on the needs of the sports program. The board set up a method for distributing the funds raised through concession stand sales, Each sport would receive a portion based upon the percent of participation they provided to staff the concession stands during football game. I would argue that since the football teams did not staff the concession stands during track meets last spring, the monies generated there stay within the track program. Their parents did the work, no one else in that instance.

The money the boosters hold now is the result of the parents of the pay to participate making up the difference between what was stolen and what was needed.

An odd tax to levy for others incapacity to do their jobs correctly
Vote for MSA

Piqua, OH

#28094 Oct 18, 2013
Waste Watchers wrote:
How would a union-first controlled school board mis-use our winning agenda of our successful Children's First Budgeting
school tax dollars?
Let Us Count Their Severely Misguided Ways....!
First things First -- the union first board majority, no doubt first thing, would waste thousands of our school tax dollars in donations to membership in the pro-levy, pro-union first Ohio School Boards Association.
Ohio School Boards Association indoctrinates local school board elected officials that the Board of Education works FOR the school superintendent/treasurer (as in the bad old days of Baker/Dettwiller) and that it is the superintendent's task to
present to the community, on a 24-7 year round basis, the WANTS of the local Teachers Union for more,more,more of our hard earned dollars,even IF there is NO need for new money...
Let me get this straight - If I become a teacher and my school board is a member of OSBA, I will be rich because the school board will not be able to think for themselves and they will do as I ask. WOW! You mean, when my parents told me not to become a teacher because there was no money in it they lied to me. And the teachers that were working in the district before this wonderful board became elected, they were rich and always got everything they wanted because the board got the taxpayers to pay for all of their wants. Thanks for letting me know.
Straight to the Point

Akron, OH

#28095 Oct 18, 2013
Vote for MSA wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get this straight - If I become a teacher and my school board is a member of OSBA, I will be rich because the school board will not be able to think for themselves and they will do as I ask. WOW! You mean, when my parents told me not to become a teacher because there was no money in it they lied to me. And the teachers that were working in the district before this wonderful board became elected, they were rich and always got everything they wanted because the board got the taxpayers to pay for all of their wants. Thanks for letting me know.
Don't worry about it! You have already proven yourself not smart enough to be a teacher in my community.
Straight to the Point

Akron, OH

#28096 Oct 18, 2013
Vote for MSA wrote:
<quoted text>
You Are Welcome.

Have you checked out this helpful website for additonal information about teachers?

http://www.ratemyteachers.com/dave-stuckey/22...
Straight to the Point

Akron, OH

#28097 Oct 19, 2013
Remember in November that Springboro voters have a clear choice at the polls to move ahead in the direction of common sense and responsible budgeting for our students first 21st century quality classroom education; IF voters elect school board candidates David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, who are the only two who should be our next two board representatives.

Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn are already on board with our school district agenda of fiscal responsibility;
Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn are already united with our school district's winning agenda of Children's
First Budgeting, and the current board's amazing accomplishments of unanimously voting for pay increases for every school employee, and reduced school taxes for every Springboro family!

Remember on November 5, 2013, that the October 17,
2013, DDN reports:
---All five candidates running for three board seats back the proposed reduced levy.
While emphasing they favored seeking the full
renewal, Ron Malone, former principal at Springboro High School/Dave Stuckey, a former teacher and coach/and former board member Charles Anderson support Issue 14.
David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, candidates with no prior ties to the district running on an opposing ticket, support the reduced levy, but not the full renewal. The question to ask is why would those who support the full amount wish to take more than is needed from a supportive community?" Bitner said.---

People in this community should ask themselves on November 5, 2013: Why would any citizen who cares about the future of our students first, our great schools, and our community not vote for our only two Students First/Responsible Budgeting school board candidates, DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN,
who should be our next two board representatives?
Get Real

Akron, OH

#28098 Oct 19, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I concur completely, there is NO CONFLICT of interest with either of these two men running for school board.
My concern is:
How will a UNION CONTROLLED school board would spend your TAX DOLLARS?
Of course there is CONFLICT of interest with both these men,
Ron Malone and David Stuckey, running for school board on their highly visible agenda of taking back THEIR board for SEA control of our Children's first budget!

How will a UNION CONTROLLED school board mis-use our proven Children's First Budget winning agenda?

Wasn't it Springboro Parent for Sure and union activist,
David Bowman, who said...

"It is like asking the fox to audit the hen house to see if the chickens should continue to be used for eggs or served up for dinner...."

Stay Alert Voters! We don't want to play "Guess Who's Coming for Dinner" with our students first 21st century quality classroom education!

Don't be "tricked" into splitting the conservative ticket of school board candidates David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, who are the only two Students First/Responsbile Budgeting school board candidates. Electing both David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn is the only guarantee of 4-1 BOE Children's First Budgeting majority!

Remember on election day, November 5th....
VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN
WHO ARE THE ONLY TWO SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES
WHO SHOULD BE ELECTED AS OUR NEXT TWO
BOARD OF EDUCATION REPRESENTATIVES.
the fork in the road

Girard, OH

#28099 Oct 19, 2013
This is a very pivotal school board election. A fork in the road has appeared, and this fork is viewed by some in this community as a better option. However, this fork in the road will return us toward the past when this district was dominated by union controlled school boards. Inherent dangers of this fork in the road isn't lost in this community's memory.

Rather than risking a return to mistakes of the past, we should choose to stay the course. We shouldn't choose to take the fork in the road. We should continue in a fiscally responsible manner, ensuring our kids’ educational needs are the first priority. The school board exists to represent the interests of parents and the public, providing checks and balances to assure the school system meets the needs of the community.

Parent and community representation is critical. David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn are both parents of children enrolled in Springboro Schools and have committed to making education their top priority. They support “Children First” philosophy.

Elect David Bitner & Kolton Vaughn.
StudentsFirst

Girard, OH

#28100 Oct 19, 2013
MEET and GREET
David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn.

Where: 205 East St., Springboro, Ohio
When: Monday, October 21, 2013
Time: 6:30 until 8:30 p.m.

We are looking forward to meeting you and listening to your concerns.
Vote MSA

Akron, OH

#28101 Oct 20, 2013
The MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE in this upcoming election is and should always be who will guide the district in the best direction for THE STUDENTS.

Just because the current board members continually state the children's first manta does not mean they have to act that way. Under the current board classes have been cut. Classes have been combined. More students were encouraged to take PSEO but in reality many of those students are getting less of an education. Administrators have been hired with little to no experience (one that didn't read her mail for over a month which if it weren't for the students diligence could have had drastic effects on a few students chances for scholarships). This board spent weeks discussing wording changes to a policy that in the end wouldn't have changed the policy but caused a lot of conflict for nothing.

The district has a lot of challenges ahead, who will keep the focus on the kids?
Stay Focused

Akron, OH

#28102 Oct 20, 2013
Fresh ideas have allowed our school district to sustain itself in an uncertain economy with no new money required!

According to the DDN, Status quo school board candidates, Malone/Stuckey/Anderson, were
against the reduced renewal levy BEFORE they were supportive!

Remember last March 2012 when Ron Malone (who was the SHS princial) refused to accept responsibility of focusing on our Students First and lead our school district in the challenges ahead in our students first 21st century classroom education?

Why would our community vote to turn back to the Malone/Stuckey/Anderson status quo, business as usual leadership of a union controlled school board?

Only the fresh ideas of Students First/Repsonsibile Budgeting school board candidates, David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn,
are a good fit with our school district leaders to meet the challenges ahead!

David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn are the only TWO
school board candidates who should be our next
TWO school board representatives, who can be trusted, after election, to continue to challenge old out-dated status quo business where need be...
and THAT IS A GOOD THING!

VOTE NOVEMBER 5th FOR
DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN
IT'S A WIN-WIN TICKET FOR ALL STUDENTS, PARENTS,
SCHOOL DISTRICT EMPLOYEES and SPRINGBORO FAMILIES
and TAXPAYING HOMEOWNERS!
November and Beyond

Akron, OH

#28103 Oct 20, 2013
Vote MSA wrote:
The MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE in this upcoming election is and should always be who will guide the district in the best direction for THE STUDENTS.
Just because the current board members continually state the children's first manta does not mean they have to act that way. Under the current board classes have been cut. Classes have been combined. More students were encouraged to take PSEO but in reality many of those students are getting less of an education. Administrators have been hired with little to no experience (one that didn't read her mail for over a month which if it weren't for the students diligence could have had drastic effects on a few students chances for scholarships). This board spent weeks discussing wording changes to a policy that in the end wouldn't have changed the policy but caused a lot of conflict for nothing.
The district has a lot of challenges ahead, who will keep the focus on the kids?
The most important issue in the November 5th school board election is spreading the great news that Children's First Budgeting works!
Where the board's at right now is wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility! That's what our school district superintendent stands for!
And that's what Students First/Responsible Budgeting school board candidates, David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, are standing for at the polls with Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners!
The most important issue of this school board election is to stay on this new course and move in the direction of common sense and sound financial leadership for our childlren, schools and community.
Vote for Students First/Responsible Budgeting school board candidates, DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN, who should be
our next two elected school board representatives!
Our children's future depends upon it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for a text buddy (Nov '12) 4 hr David 55
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 hr Cry Baby 19,374
Where's all the old threads? Mon The Duke of Hazard 2
SOS - PLEASE HELP!! Crowd Funding - 4 - GREECE... Mon Bro 3
cheeks club Mon Bro 10
The Dayton Oasis, the Dayton Stoop, the DDN mes... (Jan '09) Mon masterofconcretep... 5
Review: Wilmington Apartments (May '09) Mon Carlea Pearman 68
Springboro Dating
Find my Match

Springboro Jobs

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]