Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31948 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

real information here

Miamisburg, OH

#28092 Oct 18, 2013
BoroMio wrote:
<quoted text>
We are new to Boro. What does S.T.A.R.S mean?
Lookup facebook Stars springboro... you will find a facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/SpringboroSTARS
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28093 Oct 18, 2013
Bang the Drum wrote:
<quoted text>You just don't get it, the money was stolen from the fundraising efforts of the boosters and the teams, not the school. The money had been repaid. It's the BOEs job to figure out why there is a shortfall, maybe because there are less than half a dozen of sports that are profitable, the rest run a deficit. The SAB should not fill a gap they did not create! The money should go to help the schools with major repairs such as new tennis courts and a new track.
Mr. Malone as principal is responsible for overseeing the various activities that support his school.

All of the money has not been repaid, they can not even give you a firm idea of how much was stolen.
The only thing the prosecutors could do was go back to the checks this man wrote to himself which the bank still had records. As a corporation you only need to go back 7 years for retention purposes.

The amount they discovered was based on checks Mr. Harves was writing to himself for the past 7 years. They contain no amounts prior to that because no records exist. They contain no cash thefts, because no one bothered to count the money before they turned it over to Mr. Harves for depositing.

If a chucklehead like me can see something is not right in the program after one visit, how did it escape the notice of an ever vigilant Mr. Malone?

I agree completely on the needs of the sports program. The board set up a method for distributing the funds raised through concession stand sales, Each sport would receive a portion based upon the percent of participation they provided to staff the concession stands during football game. I would argue that since the football teams did not staff the concession stands during track meets last spring, the monies generated there stay within the track program. Their parents did the work, no one else in that instance.

The money the boosters hold now is the result of the parents of the pay to participate making up the difference between what was stolen and what was needed.

An odd tax to levy for others incapacity to do their jobs correctly
Vote for MSA

Dayton, OH

#28094 Oct 18, 2013
Waste Watchers wrote:
How would a union-first controlled school board mis-use our winning agenda of our successful Children's First Budgeting
school tax dollars?
Let Us Count Their Severely Misguided Ways....!
First things First -- the union first board majority, no doubt first thing, would waste thousands of our school tax dollars in donations to membership in the pro-levy, pro-union first Ohio School Boards Association.
Ohio School Boards Association indoctrinates local school board elected officials that the Board of Education works FOR the school superintendent/treasurer (as in the bad old days of Baker/Dettwiller) and that it is the superintendent's task to
present to the community, on a 24-7 year round basis, the WANTS of the local Teachers Union for more,more,more of our hard earned dollars,even IF there is NO need for new money...
Let me get this straight - If I become a teacher and my school board is a member of OSBA, I will be rich because the school board will not be able to think for themselves and they will do as I ask. WOW! You mean, when my parents told me not to become a teacher because there was no money in it they lied to me. And the teachers that were working in the district before this wonderful board became elected, they were rich and always got everything they wanted because the board got the taxpayers to pay for all of their wants. Thanks for letting me know.
Straight to the Point

Akron, OH

#28095 Oct 18, 2013
Vote for MSA wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get this straight - If I become a teacher and my school board is a member of OSBA, I will be rich because the school board will not be able to think for themselves and they will do as I ask. WOW! You mean, when my parents told me not to become a teacher because there was no money in it they lied to me. And the teachers that were working in the district before this wonderful board became elected, they were rich and always got everything they wanted because the board got the taxpayers to pay for all of their wants. Thanks for letting me know.
Don't worry about it! You have already proven yourself not smart enough to be a teacher in my community.
Straight to the Point

Akron, OH

#28096 Oct 18, 2013
Vote for MSA wrote:
<quoted text>
You Are Welcome.

Have you checked out this helpful website for additonal information about teachers?

http://www.ratemyteachers.com/dave-stuckey/22...
Straight to the Point

Akron, OH

#28097 Oct 19, 2013
Remember in November that Springboro voters have a clear choice at the polls to move ahead in the direction of common sense and responsible budgeting for our students first 21st century quality classroom education; IF voters elect school board candidates David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, who are the only two who should be our next two board representatives.

Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn are already on board with our school district agenda of fiscal responsibility;
Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn are already united with our school district's winning agenda of Children's
First Budgeting, and the current board's amazing accomplishments of unanimously voting for pay increases for every school employee, and reduced school taxes for every Springboro family!

Remember on November 5, 2013, that the October 17,
2013, DDN reports:
---All five candidates running for three board seats back the proposed reduced levy.
While emphasing they favored seeking the full
renewal, Ron Malone, former principal at Springboro High School/Dave Stuckey, a former teacher and coach/and former board member Charles Anderson support Issue 14.
David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, candidates with no prior ties to the district running on an opposing ticket, support the reduced levy, but not the full renewal. The question to ask is why would those who support the full amount wish to take more than is needed from a supportive community?" Bitner said.---

People in this community should ask themselves on November 5, 2013: Why would any citizen who cares about the future of our students first, our great schools, and our community not vote for our only two Students First/Responsible Budgeting school board candidates, DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN,
who should be our next two board representatives?
Get Real

Akron, OH

#28098 Oct 19, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I concur completely, there is NO CONFLICT of interest with either of these two men running for school board.
My concern is:
How will a UNION CONTROLLED school board would spend your TAX DOLLARS?
Of course there is CONFLICT of interest with both these men,
Ron Malone and David Stuckey, running for school board on their highly visible agenda of taking back THEIR board for SEA control of our Children's first budget!

How will a UNION CONTROLLED school board mis-use our proven Children's First Budget winning agenda?

Wasn't it Springboro Parent for Sure and union activist,
David Bowman, who said...

"It is like asking the fox to audit the hen house to see if the chickens should continue to be used for eggs or served up for dinner...."

Stay Alert Voters! We don't want to play "Guess Who's Coming for Dinner" with our students first 21st century quality classroom education!

Don't be "tricked" into splitting the conservative ticket of school board candidates David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, who are the only two Students First/Responsbile Budgeting school board candidates. Electing both David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn is the only guarantee of 4-1 BOE Children's First Budgeting majority!

Remember on election day, November 5th....
VOTE FOR DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN
WHO ARE THE ONLY TWO SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES
WHO SHOULD BE ELECTED AS OUR NEXT TWO
BOARD OF EDUCATION REPRESENTATIVES.
the fork in the road

Cleveland, OH

#28099 Oct 19, 2013
This is a very pivotal school board election. A fork in the road has appeared, and this fork is viewed by some in this community as a better option. However, this fork in the road will return us toward the past when this district was dominated by union controlled school boards. Inherent dangers of this fork in the road isn't lost in this community's memory.

Rather than risking a return to mistakes of the past, we should choose to stay the course. We shouldn't choose to take the fork in the road. We should continue in a fiscally responsible manner, ensuring our kids’ educational needs are the first priority. The school board exists to represent the interests of parents and the public, providing checks and balances to assure the school system meets the needs of the community.

Parent and community representation is critical. David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn are both parents of children enrolled in Springboro Schools and have committed to making education their top priority. They support “Children First” philosophy.

Elect David Bitner & Kolton Vaughn.
StudentsFirst

Cleveland, OH

#28100 Oct 19, 2013
MEET and GREET
David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn.

Where: 205 East St., Springboro, Ohio
When: Monday, October 21, 2013
Time: 6:30 until 8:30 p.m.

We are looking forward to meeting you and listening to your concerns.
Vote MSA

Akron, OH

#28101 Oct 20, 2013
The MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE in this upcoming election is and should always be who will guide the district in the best direction for THE STUDENTS.

Just because the current board members continually state the children's first manta does not mean they have to act that way. Under the current board classes have been cut. Classes have been combined. More students were encouraged to take PSEO but in reality many of those students are getting less of an education. Administrators have been hired with little to no experience (one that didn't read her mail for over a month which if it weren't for the students diligence could have had drastic effects on a few students chances for scholarships). This board spent weeks discussing wording changes to a policy that in the end wouldn't have changed the policy but caused a lot of conflict for nothing.

The district has a lot of challenges ahead, who will keep the focus on the kids?
Stay Focused

Akron, OH

#28102 Oct 20, 2013
Fresh ideas have allowed our school district to sustain itself in an uncertain economy with no new money required!

According to the DDN, Status quo school board candidates, Malone/Stuckey/Anderson, were
against the reduced renewal levy BEFORE they were supportive!

Remember last March 2012 when Ron Malone (who was the SHS princial) refused to accept responsibility of focusing on our Students First and lead our school district in the challenges ahead in our students first 21st century classroom education?

Why would our community vote to turn back to the Malone/Stuckey/Anderson status quo, business as usual leadership of a union controlled school board?

Only the fresh ideas of Students First/Repsonsibile Budgeting school board candidates, David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn,
are a good fit with our school district leaders to meet the challenges ahead!

David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn are the only TWO
school board candidates who should be our next
TWO school board representatives, who can be trusted, after election, to continue to challenge old out-dated status quo business where need be...
and THAT IS A GOOD THING!

VOTE NOVEMBER 5th FOR
DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN
IT'S A WIN-WIN TICKET FOR ALL STUDENTS, PARENTS,
SCHOOL DISTRICT EMPLOYEES and SPRINGBORO FAMILIES
and TAXPAYING HOMEOWNERS!
November and Beyond

Akron, OH

#28103 Oct 20, 2013
Vote MSA wrote:
The MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE in this upcoming election is and should always be who will guide the district in the best direction for THE STUDENTS.
Just because the current board members continually state the children's first manta does not mean they have to act that way. Under the current board classes have been cut. Classes have been combined. More students were encouraged to take PSEO but in reality many of those students are getting less of an education. Administrators have been hired with little to no experience (one that didn't read her mail for over a month which if it weren't for the students diligence could have had drastic effects on a few students chances for scholarships). This board spent weeks discussing wording changes to a policy that in the end wouldn't have changed the policy but caused a lot of conflict for nothing.
The district has a lot of challenges ahead, who will keep the focus on the kids?
The most important issue in the November 5th school board election is spreading the great news that Children's First Budgeting works!
Where the board's at right now is wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility! That's what our school district superintendent stands for!
And that's what Students First/Responsible Budgeting school board candidates, David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn, are standing for at the polls with Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners!
The most important issue of this school board election is to stay on this new course and move in the direction of common sense and sound financial leadership for our childlren, schools and community.
Vote for Students First/Responsible Budgeting school board candidates, DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN, who should be
our next two elected school board representatives!
Our children's future depends upon it!
Does Not Belong

Lebanon, OH

#28104 Oct 20, 2013
Bang the Drum wrote:
<quoted text>You just don't get it, the money was stolen from the fundraising efforts of the boosters and the teams, not the school. The money had been repaid. It's the BOEs job to figure out why there is a shortfall, maybe because there are less than half a dozen of sports that are profitable, the rest run a deficit. The SAB should not fill a gap they did not create! The money should go to help the schools with major repairs such as new tennis courts and a new track.
All of the money was not recovered and the money that was stolen was replaced by the parents who paid ridiculously high pay to play fees. The parents paid those fees because money that was supposed to be there to fund our athletic programs was being stolen out from under our kids. The only reason the boosters exist is to support Springboro athletics, no other reason.
reflection

Cleveland, OH

#28105 Oct 20, 2013
Vote MSA wrote:
Look in the mirror and ask yourself these questions.
Do you wish Springboro schools to regress toward making many of the terrible mistakes of the past all over again?
Do you wish a return to union-controlled school boards of the past?
Regardless of the specific sentiments in this board race, virtually everyone in this community is "For The Kids".
However when it comes to the local teachers union, the SEA's number one agenda is and has always been doing whatever's necessary to PROTECT THE INTERESTS OF THEIR OWN PEOPLE.

Who will keep the focus on the kids, you ask?

- David Bitner
- Kolton Vaughn
- Jim Rigano
- David Petroni
informed

Marengo, OH

#28106 Oct 20, 2013
Observer wrote:
BLAH BLAH BLAH.....AKA DOUG WEIDEMAN YOUR AN IDIOT!
Yes Doug you are an idiot, tell us about your incident at Sky Bank please.
No Turning Back

Akron, OH

#28107 Oct 20, 2013
Vote MSA wrote:
The Malone/Stuckey/Anderson run for school board seems to be fueled by fear.
It is dark and angry--promising to bring calm to a storm. The problem with their platform is that there is no storm. If there is a sense of tubulence in our community, it has been manufactured by those who oppose change, wish to suffocate debates they would surely lose, and return to the days of endless
levies, punitive actions against our citizens, and never ending financial emergencies within the school district.

Why would our community want to back to the past? We have sought to change the status quo, and that is difficult, but debate does not equal harm. The politically correct tenet that spirited discussion is harmful stifles new ideas. When a blanket of suppression covers the conversation, the only sure losers will be our community and the children we serve.

Our current board leadership is navigating us away from the repeated failures of the past and toward a better future for our schools. Looking to the past, copying failed policies, and fearing change does not remove barriers to improvement, it imposes them. The fear of change will not chase our community back into the darkness of previously failed practices. Let's stay on this new course and move in the direction of common sense, ethics and sound financial decisions for our children, schools and community.

Vote Responsibly November 5, 2013! The future of our schools and
community depend upon it!

Vote For Students First/Responsible Budgeting
Parents Representing Parents
David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn
It's a Winning Ticket for all students, parents, teachers, school district employees, and community-wide taxpayers!
Spread the Great News

Akron, OH

#28108 Oct 20, 2013
MEET and GREET
David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn.

Where: 205 East St., Springboro, Ohio
When: Monday, October 21, 2013
Time: 6:30 until 8:30 p.m.

We are looking forward to meeting you and listening to your concerns.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28109 Oct 20, 2013
informed wrote:
<quoted text>Yes Doug you are an idiot, tell us about your incident at Sky Bank please.
Go ahead, you tell everyone.

I will still be speaking the truth.
none

Springboro, OH

#28110 Oct 21, 2013
reflection wrote:
<quoted text>
Look in the mirror and ask yourself these questions.
Do you wish Springboro schools to regress toward making many of the terrible mistakes of the past all over again?
Do you wish a return to union-controlled school boards of the past?
Regardless of the specific sentiments in this board race, virtually everyone in this community is "For The Kids".
However when it comes to the local teachers union, the SEA's number one agenda is and has always been doing whatever's necessary to PROTECT THE INTERESTS OF THEIR OWN PEOPLE.
Who will keep the focus on the kids, you ask?
- David Bitner
- Kolton Vaughn
- Jim Rigano
- David Petroni
Is the answer none of the above?
DIDYOU KNOW

Cleveland, OH

#28111 Oct 21, 2013
Why is this guy still around?

Clearcreek administrator retiring after 35 years

DDN -- CLEARCREEK TWP., Warren County — Township Administrator Dennis Pickett is expected to announce his retirement Wednesday after 35 years in public administration.

Pickett, 57, said he was retiring, effective July 31, 2012.“It’s just time,” he said.

Pickett, administrator in Clearcreek Twp. since November 1985, also worked as administrative assistant in Franklin Twp.“I certainly will miss him. He’s been good for Clearcreek Twp.,” said Ed Wade, chairman of the township trustees.

In his time with the township, Pickett has seen the community and staff grow, and the government move from a small office to a sprawling government center.

However, he clashed with Linda Oda, the fiscal officer elected in 2007, prompting a review last year by the trustees. Also last year, Trustee Cathy Anspach sought discipline against Pickett for failing to advise township officials that former trustee Dr. Greg McDonald, a local dentist, had been receiving health insurance for himself and his wife that was subsidized through funds set aside for unemployed workers.

On Tuesday Anspach said their dispute was in the past.

“I think he’s just burned out on the job,” she said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 10 hr New york 20,648
Why will we still vote for Trump? 16 hr repubsnow 4
3 missing women, 1 found dead Thu Look 1
Chris Morris Thu Scorpi 1
Do you have to pound and peck on the keys? Thu The Old Cold Warrior 3
Leon is the hack checker Thu Fan of Leon The Man 2
New film in Dayton Thu Fan of Leon The Man 4

Springboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages