Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,791

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27925 Oct 14, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Mr. Wiedeman, I would not like any one of the three union first school board candidates to mow my lawn, nor do some laundry, nor render services running for school board election against our Children First.
That's why I am voting only for Students First/Responsible Budgeting 4-1 victory on November 5, 2013, by casting my vote
for David Bitner and Kolton Vaughn.
I am not voting for either of the union first school board candidates (Malone/Stuckey/Anderson) because that would be a vote AGAINST our Children First.
Only those who support Union First school board candidates should vote for the third school board representative, one of which, will be either Malone,Stuckey,Anderson.
Please join those of us who trust in our current board's financial expertise and stay the course in the direction of a quality 21st Century classroom education. The future of our schools and community depends upon a 4-1 Students First BOE majority of elected officials.
VOTE NOVEMBER 5, 2013 for DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN!
Parents Representing Parents
Students First
Responsible Budgeting
A Winning Ticket for All our Students, School Employees, and Taxpaying Community members!
While I concur with your picks of Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn, I must remind you that three will be elected.

Mr. Anderson by all accounts is a decent man who has built a reputable business in our community .
He has served in the past on our school board and asks to serve yet again. Given his financial, business, and community acumen I would think he is someone who would serve us all well.

Add the third for Mr. Anderson
Do Not Support Greed

Dayton, OH

#27926 Oct 14, 2013
Vote for BITNER and VAUGHN ONLY! Don't chance the loss of all that has been accomplished over the last couple of years by voting for any other candidates. All 3 of the others believe the school board should have requested the full levy renewal amount even after all of the needs have been met with the reduced renewal amount. That kind of greed should not be supported.
inside track

Girard, OH

#27927 Oct 14, 2013
An exerpt from Educate Springboro's "In the Direction of Truth"...

"When someone asks you to look at things in a new way ó to entertain the idea that the truth is not what you thought it was ó it is normal to fight it. That is why this board made transparency and debate a cornerstone of all we do."

This statement also explains much of the reason behind why Students First candidates Bitner and Vaughn don't have much interest in participating in debate with Malone.

The term "transparent" ought to never be applied to former high school principals who made it a habit to either bury or destroy records.
Get Real

Akron, OH

#27928 Oct 14, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
While I concur with your picks of Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn, I must remind you that three will be elected.
Mr. Anderson by all accounts is a decent man who has built a reputable business in our community .
He has served in the past on our school board and asks to serve yet again. Given his financial, business, and community acumen I would think he is someone who would serve us all well.
I am well aware that three will be elected; While I concur with your picks of Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn, I must remind you that a vote for Mr. Anderson is a vote against Mr. Bitner and Mr. Vaughn.

Of course, it is your vote, your choice to vote AGAINST our Children First. But I must remind you, to do so, puts at risk our children's future, because voting for Mr. Anderson increases the odds that Mr. Malone, Mr.Stuckey, Mr.Anderson will have the legal opportunity, as the BOE majority, to answer your question:
HOW WOULD A UNION BOARD MAJORITY USE YOUR TAX DOLLARS?

Maintaining a 4-1 Children's First Budgeting BOE majority is a MUST for our future financial stability and we MUST vote on November 5, 2013, for the only TWO children's first budgeting school board candidates, DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN.
cmon John

Girard, OH

#27929 Oct 14, 2013
John Parise wrote:
<quoted text>...the reason I will vote no is simply because if the candidates with the black signs win, we will start to see an unrelenting series of levies put back on ballot like before...I do not want to go back to those days..
Regarding your point of what's likely to happen if Malone Stuckey and Anderson wins, I don't disagree with you.

However it's important to consider the ongoing needs of this district's schools. This November's school levy is a RENEWAL levy. It isn't a SUPPLEMENTAL levy.

So thus, this renewal levy is a request for continuance of taxes we've already been paying, minus a 15% ROLLBACK which was agreed to by the Boro board of education. This 15% rollback goes directly back to district taxpayers.

Here's the absolute worst case scenario:
The renewal levy fails.
Malone, Stuckey and Anderson all win.
The aftermath?
Failure of this November renewal levy would give a Malone-Stuckey-Anderson dominated school board would have JUST ANOTHER EXCUSE to put school levys on the ballot, with millage out the wazoo!!
And no! I'm won't be placing wagers that a future school board dominated by union interests would agree to returning a 15% rollback to district property owners!

Vote YES for school levy !
please clarify

Girard, OH

#27930 Oct 14, 2013
Do Not Support Greed wrote:
Vote for BITNER and VAUGHN ONLY!

All 3 of the others believe the school board should have requested the full levy renewal amount even after all of the needs have been met with the reduced renewal amount. That kind of greed should not be supported.
If you will, please explain exactly how you were made aware that Charles Anderson... "...believe(s) the school board should have requested the full levy renewal amount...".
Remember in November

Akron, OH

#27931 Oct 14, 2013
Vote for BITNER and VAUGHN ONLY! Don't chance the loss of all that has been accomplished over the last couple of years by voting for any other candidates. All 3 of the others believe the school board should have requested the full levy renewal amount even after all of the needs have been met with the reduced renewal amount. That kind of greed should not be supported.
Very Much Worth Repeating! Do Not Support Greed!

Spread the great news that a 4-1 Children's First Budgeting BOE majority can only be made possible by voting ONLY for the ONLY
TWO school board candidates, who are already on board with our current board's new reform-minded philosophy, putting the needs of our children first with our tax dollars!

Vote for Charles Bitner and Kolton Vaughn on November 5, 2013,
who are the only two school board candidates whose leadership
agenda is a good fit with the needs of our children's quality 21st century classroom education.... and beyond!

Vote for Charles Bitner/Kolton Vaughn
Students First/Responsible Budgeting
November 5, 2013

It's a Winning Ticket for keeping our 4-1 Children's First Budgeting BOE Majority!
Do Not Support Greed

Dayton, OH

#27932 Oct 14, 2013
please clarify wrote:
<quoted text>
If you will, please explain exactly how you were made aware that Charles Anderson... "...believe(s) the school board should have requested the full levy renewal amount...".
Dayton Daily News published questions submitted to the candidates and the candidates answers.

http://vote.daytondailynews.com/candidate-det...

You must pick at least two to see and compare their answers.

Charles Anderson plainly states that we should have planned for the full renewal.
Truth Seeker

Girard, OH

#27933 Oct 14, 2013
It seems to me that a vote for the teachers union supported candidates of Malone/Stuckey/Anderson would be like Congress voting for their own raises and benefits...and we have seen how disastrous that arrangement has been over the years. The conflict of interest is too great to expect we would see a good outcome. Personally, I applaud the innovation and improvements the current board majority has implemented and believe we should stay the course by voting only for Bitner and Vaughn.
Non Partisan

Akron, OH

#27934 Oct 14, 2013
Truth Seeker wrote:
It seems to me that a vote for the teachers union supported candidates of Malone/Stuckey/Anderson would be like Congress voting for their own raises and benefits...and we have seen how disastrous that arrangement has been over the years. The conflict of interest is too great to expect we would see a good outcome. Personally, I applaud the innovation and improvements the current board majority has implemented and believe we should stay the course by voting only for Bitner and Vaughn.
How would a union controlled school board use your tax dollars?

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustrice and wrong which will be imposed upon them." -Frederick Douglass
Get Real

Akron, OH

#27935 Oct 14, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
To compel a man to furnish contributions of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
-Thomas Jefferson

As for me and my household of voters, we will vote only for the
only TWO school board candidates that we believe are the best fit
to get the job done right.

VOTE NOVEMBER 5, 2013, FOR THE TWO SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES,
DAVID BITNER and KOLTON VAUGHN, WHO SHOULD BE ELECTED OUR
NEXT TWO BOARD REPRESENTATIVES.
Remember in November

Akron, OH

#27936 Oct 14, 2013
Very Much Worth Repeating! Do Not Support Greed!

Spread the great news that a 4-1 Children's First Budgeting BOE majority can only be made possible by voting ONLY for the ONLY
TWO school board candidates, who are already on board with our current board's new reform-minded philosophy, putting the needs of our children first with our tax dollars!

Vote for Charles Bitner and Kolton Vaughn on November 5, 2013,
who are the only two school board candidates whose leadership
agenda is a good fit with the needs of our children's quality 21st century classroom education.... and beyond!

Vote for Charles Bitner/Kolton Vaughn
Students First/Responsible Budgeting
November 5, 2013

It's a Winning Ticket for keeping our 4-1 Children's First Budgeting BOE Majority!
No turning Back

Akron, OH

#27937 Oct 14, 2013
Let's stay focused on putting Children First.
It's for our children, our community and toward a better future for our schools!

Fresh ideas have allowed our district to sustain itself in an uncertain economy with NO new money required.

Look at Today and the Future!

Renewal levy saves taxpayers $6.5 million over the five year life of the levy, while continuing to generate surplus.

Reduced school fees, lower pay to participate fees, busing restored, staff cuts reversed, long neglected building and ground maintenance funded.

Efficiency plans reallocate resources from under utilized programs to gifted and early intervention.
PUTTING MONEY WHERE IT IS NEEDED!

District run preschool instead of outsourcing, saving $132,000 each year. Analyzing data to expose "Proficient" as failing. Raising the bar for students and teachers.

Adding ACT/College Essentials class, balancing class sizes, and strengthening our curriculum. Emphasizing early college credit programs through the high school, Post Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO), Advanced Placement, and Dual Credit courses.

Coordinated technology plan with wireless access for every building, laptops to every teacher, and more than 1100 new computers.

WHY WOULD OUR COMMUNITY WISH TO GO BACK?

If you agree with putting Children First
visit http://educatespringboro.org
Share this informaton with others....
The Next Day

Amelia, OH

#27938 Oct 14, 2013
We should be renewing for the full amount. The reduction is simply a political move to help Bitner and Vaughn get elected and prop up the standing of the three majority BOE members. The small reduction is political window dressing but it's also real dollars that could have been used for high value things. For example, more sections of the ACT class at the high school. Many kids who want and need to take this class, aren't able to. What about adding other AP classes? The money could have been used for that. Many area schools have better AP offerings than we do. I'm not talking about AP Guitar, etc., but multiple levels of business classes, math, etc. Things with tangible ROI potential and helpful to our kids. Remember, it's kids first unless you have political games to play.
DONT SUPPORT THE GREED

Springboro, OH

#27939 Oct 14, 2013
The Next Day wrote:
<quoted text>
We should be renewing for the full amount. The reduction is simply a political move to help Bitner and Vaughn get elected and prop up the standing of the three majority BOE members. The small reduction is political window dressing but it's also real dollars that could have been used for high value things. For example, more sections of the ACT class at the high school. Many kids who want and need to take this class, aren't able to. What about adding other AP classes? The money could have been used for that. Many area schools have better AP offerings than we do. I'm not talking about AP Guitar, etc., but multiple levels of business classes, math, etc. Things with tangible ROI potential and helpful to our kids. Remember, it's kids first unless you have political games to play.
If it is such an important concern maybe they should just remove the generous raises and put it in these areas. I would hardly call 6.5 million over the course of five years window dressing. Plus, it continues to generate surplus. I don't even think Bitner and Vaughn were candidates when this renewal was decided.
tellthetruth

Cleveland, OH

#27940 Oct 15, 2013
I am voting for STEVE MUTERSPAW for Clearcreek Twwp Trustee. Here is why:

Steve Muterspawís Answers to Cox Newspaper Survey:

Q: What are your two highest priorities and why? What specific actions will you take to accomplish them?

1. Eliminate unnecessary spending now, as we plan for the future - the most recent fire levy that was on the ballot last May is a perfect example. We were being asked to increase the fire budget despite the fact that fire department services... requests had held steady the past six years. On top of that there was a $7,000,000 surplus. We canít simply rubber stamp increases in spending for our township without performing our due diligence to determine the actual needs of the community. The larger we make our local government today the more itís going to cost to feed that animal for years to come.

2. Transparency - we need to take the business of the township out of the back rooms and move it into the public light. There are lawsuits right now concerning the systematic and ongoing violations of the sunshine laws by some of our current and past trustees. In addition to costing tens of thousands of dollars the township pays to provide legal representation for these reported violations of our trustees, it diverts valuable time and energy away from township business. Our taxpayers deserve to have the assurance that the business of the township is for the benefit of the citizens, not the trustees themselves and their friends.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#27941 Oct 15, 2013
tellthetruth wrote:
I am voting for STEVE MUTERSPAW for Clearcreek Twwp Trustee. Here is why:
Steve Muterspawís Answers to Cox Newspaper Survey:
Q: What are your two highest priorities and why? What specific actions will you take to accomplish them?
1. Eliminate unnecessary spending now, as we plan for the future - the most recent fire levy that was on the ballot last May is a perfect example. We were being asked to increase the fire budget despite the fact that fire department services... requests had held steady the past six years. On top of that there was a $7,000,000 surplus. We canít simply rubber stamp increases in spending for our township without performing our due diligence to determine the actual needs of the community. The larger we make our local government today the more itís going to cost to feed that animal for years to come.
2. Transparency - we need to take the business of the township out of the back rooms and move it into the public light. There are lawsuits right now concerning the systematic and ongoing violations of the sunshine laws by some of our current and past trustees. In addition to costing tens of thousands of dollars the township pays to provide legal representation for these reported violations of our trustees, it diverts valuable time and energy away from township business. Our taxpayers deserve to have the assurance that the business of the township is for the benefit of the citizens, not the trustees themselves and their friends.
Anspach and Muterspaw are better than Wade and his lackey Lamb.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27942 Oct 15, 2013
The Next Day wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a great point, it is for the children first and foremost.

But if all of that were possible, why wasn't Mr. Malone doing any of those things when he had access to the full amount of the original levy for the past TEN years?

According to the Warren County Educational Service Center report from 2007, 2010, and 2013, Mr. Malone was engaged in a process that was going in the complete opposite of what you are proposing. It would appear money had nothing to do with those choices Mr. Malone was making.

Page 10
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxs0_xA64y_HS...

"Documents provided to the TAV Team indicate that contrary to the HSTW philosophy, SHS
believes that offering low~level courses is in the best interest of students.≠ This belief,
however, WAS NOT SUBSTANTIATED by research or data."

Professional peers trying to be nice wrote that for Mr. Malone in January 2013.

The same peers also noted "that although SHS offers numerous AP courses and PSEO options, only 20% of the students report they attempted to earn early college credits during high school. This is a DECREASE of 43% from 2008, and 60% below the High Schools That Work goal."

Hard to argue with success like that described by Mr. Malone's educational peers.

Who ultimately paid the price for Mr. Malone's actions?

The children, the parents of those children, and the taxpayers who funded the program.
Greedy Sinners

Xenia, OH

#27943 Oct 15, 2013
cmon John wrote:
<quoted text>
Regarding your point of what's likely to happen if Malone Stuckey and Anderson wins, I don't disagree with you.
However it's important to consider the ongoing needs of this district's schools. This November's school levy is a RENEWAL levy. It isn't a SUPPLEMENTAL levy.
So thus, this renewal levy is a request for continuance of taxes we've already been paying, minus a 15% ROLLBACK which was agreed to by the Boro board of education. This 15% rollback goes directly back to district taxpayers.
Here's the absolute worst case scenario:
The renewal levy fails.
Malone, Stuckey and Anderson all win.
The aftermath?
Failure of this November renewal levy would give a Malone-Stuckey-Anderson dominated school board would have JUST ANOTHER EXCUSE to put school levys on the ballot, with millage out the wazoo!!
And no! I'm won't be placing wagers that a future school board dominated by union interests would agree to returning a 15% rollback to district property owners!
Vote YES for school levy !
cmon is right. If the levy fails (something even our current BOE president has said HAS to happen) then the current budget is out the door and the new BOE will HAVE to draft a new levy (therefore asking for new money).

The only GREED going on is people's own selfish greed not wanting to help out their community and keep every penny they have while the needy go on needing and they continue to commit one of the 7 deadly sins. Paying taxes for the school is investing in our children and our future.

Always vote yes for our children.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#27944 Oct 15, 2013
The Next Day wrote:
<quoted text>
"remember, it's the kids first unless you have political games to play"...yea, you might want to mention that to Malone & Cronies, Inc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dayton-area hardware store to close 1 hr tommy 4
Springboro homewreckers (Jul '11) 1 hr tommy 20
The Pauls have been denigrated if not hated... 8 hr The Old Cold Warrior 1
Swamiji Sri Selvam siddhar- Dr Commander Selvam... (Feb '13) 10 hr lakshmi 29
Dead Beat Dad (May '10) 22 hr youknowwho 3
The Vast Indiference of Government Fri The Fart Checker 15
Springboro district snow days Feb 24 well layered 5
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web