Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,516

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Curious

Toledo, OH

#27457 Sep 16, 2013
If the school board is spending money on technology, then why are there eight year old computers in the high school labs?
Heart Burn

United States

#27458 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, never knew the power I had over your vote. Maybe someday you'll be able to do your OWN resarch and make up your OWN mind. Until then, glad I can influence you (your convictions must be weak, if I have any influence on them).
My own research? Me thinks you haven't read a single thing I've posted.

Did you just say your convictions are weak? I think you're preaching that to the choir...we all have witnessed that from your posts. lol
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27459 Sep 16, 2013
Curious wrote:
If the school board is spending money on technology, then why are there eight year old computers in the high school labs?
Money that is planned and allocated for purchases must still move through the proper channels to ensure our district spends that money responsibly, rationally, and reasonably to the best accrued benefit of us all.
No Turning Back

Akron, OH

#27460 Sep 16, 2013
partisan wrote:
being on the school board is a very thankless job, with most board members being open to name calling, slanderous statements and having their personal lives put under a microscope. it's a wonder to me why anyone would want to be a school board member.
Obviously, Ron Malone wants to be a "school board member" to continue serving the best interests of the Springboro Education Association. Perhaps he has not looked past his big ego broadly enough to recognize that a school board representative has to have VISION for doing what's right for our SEA school community AND our community of taxpayers as a whole; and that the school board elected official must have a civic pride in SERVING all constituents.

Our reform minded school board representatives have the winning agenda of civic pride in serving ALL constituents; but Mr. Malone has rejected the new philosophy of our reform minded agenda; and now seeks only to serve his own ego by trying to turn a very important school board election into a popularity contest. Where is the professionalism in this tunnel vision leadership that could possibly benefit our children's future education?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27461 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
When they did that they are putting our "hard earned tax dollars" at risk, being spend on court cases we (like most others) will loose.
Speaking of meaningless lawsuits and wasting people's money just because you can, let me present exhibit number one in the history of David Stuckey.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-08-27...

Unfortunately for Mr Stuckey he did not prevail, more than one person in this community has commented over the years on how much better of a basketball coach he was than Mr. Holtrey.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27462 Sep 16, 2013
truth to power wrote:
<quoted text>
So this virtual wedgie you're experiencing is the result of a lack of ability on your part to access the Warren County BOE site?
Here ya go, skippy!! So glad I could help!!
http://www.co.warren.oh.us/bdelec/candidates_...
No, not my wedgie, it's the lack of anyone here supporting any of these candidates.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27463 Sep 16, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend your right to have your say.
Is displaying a Confederate flag a crime of some sort?
The speakers who were asked to leave were because they kept arguing with the chair about what they felt they had the right to do whether or not it was in agreement with the rules of order.
Since no one but those in executive session know what goes on there, I find it exceptionally difficult to believe these people wished to speak on subjects they had no idea existed or not. Those asked to leave were just causing trouble for the sake of causing trouble and grandstanding to a partisan union and pro-union crowd.
I must have missed the forced Catholic catechism classes, when did that happen?
Spent on meaningless court cases, you mean like Ms Gregg's court case? It doesn't get any more meaningless than that. The real perps in that one are long gone, Mr. Long, Mr Lolli, Mr Renshaw, and Ms Warner. One person who did not show up in any discussions was Ron Malone, the erstwhile principal and supervisor of Mr. Renshaw, and in whose school Ms Griggs was to have taught. You would have thought that given the nature of this affair, Mr. Malone's superiors, Mr. Lolli, Mr. Long or Mrs. Warner may have contacted him about this matter. None did according to their affidavits, a casual dismissal of Mr. Malone's true degree of relevance within the school district hierarchy or was it a concerted effort to shield someone more intimately involved from possible fallout? Funny what comes out in depositions now, is it not?
Which one of Mr. Malone, Mr. Stuckey, or Mr Anderson has a child of their own in the Springboro public school system?
Mr. Malone, Mr. Stuckey, and Mr Anderson obviously do not have any skin in the game. As older white males on premier retirement plans, they are a generation or two removed and shielded from the struggles of real parenting today.
A funny thing happened on the way to the coronation..........
If you would even look at an adgenda, it lists what will be covered in excecutive session, so people know.

"A funny thing happened on the way to the coronation.........." Reminds me of Romney and his party's ineptitude to win an election each time I read it.
Heart Burn

United States

#27464 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not my wedgie, it's the lack of anyone here supporting any of these candidates.
YOU keep giving us reasons to look at other candidates that may be better qualified...based on your own criteria.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27465 Sep 16, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
My own research? Me thinks you haven't read a single thing I've posted.
Did you just say your convictions are weak? I think you're preaching that to the choir...we all have witnessed that from your posts. lol
Your words, not mine.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27466 Sep 16, 2013
Curious wrote:
Great question...I'm sure the bright people around here have an excuse uh, er answer for that one.
truth to power

Girard, OH

#27467 Sep 16, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
Reasons to continue in the direction we are going have been repeatedly posted in this forum (i.e. budget surplus, teacher's contract settled, return of busing, lower pay to play fees, lower tax amount proposed on the upcoming levy, etc.). Go visit http://educatespringboro.org/ for more. If the candidates on the ballot continue that (whether Malone, Stuckey, Anderson or Mickey Mouse) then they will get my vote.
If three seats were to be elected and I had only these options, I'd vote for Mickey.
Then I'd submit write-in ballots for Goofy and Pluto.

From what has been seen, heard, uttered, written and posted thus far, Malone Stuckey and Anderson are developing (sigh, yet another) "for the kids" campaign theme. So far their campaigns are not positive efforts. Most of their energies appears to be involved in making carefully selective attacks at past or present school board decisions, or worse, board members themselves. This community is not hearing anything from Malone Stuckey or Anderson about their respective individual visions or plans for Springboro Schools.

Just like you eloquently posted, Lerxst, this current board has brought financial stability to this district - Financial stability for the first time in a decade. By focusing on financial stability as a first priority, it eventually opened many doors that allowed the board to address scores upon scores of long overdue student educational needs and long overdue infrastructure needs. And of course as everyone knows, recently the teachers got the payday they were looking for.

This community remembers o-so-well the levels of manipulation it was forced through during the tax-and-spend Baker years. Voters in this community are wise enough to understand that voting in Malone Stuckey and Anderson represent a regressive a step toward a similiar type of lack of accountability this district suffered from during Detwiller-Baker. Voters in this community have a clear realization that school board meeting audiences are pre-planned well in advance to be heavily seated by with those in support of the teachers union. These union members have no qualms about USING THEIR CHILDREN as shills to help ensure that future padding is placed in the insides of their purses and wallets.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27468 Sep 16, 2013
truth to power wrote:
<quoted text>
If three seats were to be elected and I had only these options, I'd vote for Mickey.
Then I'd submit write-in ballots for Goofy and Pluto.
From what has been seen, heard, uttered, written and posted thus far, Malone Stuckey and Anderson are developing (sigh, yet another) "for the kids" campaign theme. So far their campaigns are not positive efforts. Most of their energies appears to be involved in making carefully selective attacks at past or present school board decisions, or worse, board members themselves. This community is not hearing anything from Malone Stuckey or Anderson about their respective individual visions or plans for Springboro Schools.
Just like you eloquently posted, Lerxst, this current board has brought financial stability to this district - Financial stability for the first time in a decade. By focusing on financial stability as a first priority, it eventually opened many doors that allowed the board to address scores upon scores of long overdue student educational needs and long overdue infrastructure needs. And of course as everyone knows, recently the teachers got the payday they were looking for.
This community remembers o-so-well the levels of manipulation it was forced through during the tax-and-spend Baker years. Voters in this community are wise enough to understand that voting in Malone Stuckey and Anderson represent a regressive a step toward a similiar type of lack of accountability this district suffered from during Detwiller-Baker. Voters in this community have a clear realization that school board meeting audiences are pre-planned well in advance to be heavily seated by with those in support of the teachers union. These union members have no qualms about USING THEIR CHILDREN as shills to help ensure that future padding is placed in the insides of their purses and wallets.
You realize that doing that hands the victory to MSA. Your choice.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27469 Sep 16, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU keep giving us reasons to look at other candidates that may be better qualified...based on your own criteria.
And yet no names are uttered. MSA will win on name recognition alone. Don't you people understand elections? Obama does.
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27470 Sep 16, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Money that is planned and allocated for purchases must still move through the proper channels to ensure our district spends that money responsibly, rationally, and reasonably to the best accrued benefit of us all.
Nice diversion. The board claimed that the technology would be in place for this school year.(actually because of the common core dollars, it has to be) That's why the teachers have the laptops and the towers were removed.
reality

Girard, OH

#27471 Sep 16, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of meaningless lawsuits and wasting people's money just because you can, let me present exhibit number one in the history of David Stuckey.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-08-27...
Unfortunately for Mr Stuckey he did not prevail, more than one person in this community has commented over the years on how much better of a basketball coach he was than Mr. Holtrey.
A quarter century later - What has changed?...nothing!

It is unfortunate that many in this and other communities have become so numb and apathetic to the public sector's abject sense of entitlement.
tellthetruth

Cleveland, OH

#27473 Sep 16, 2013
School board president brought identity fraud complaint

Assistant fire chief under investigation Blog post basis for identity fraud probe

Posted: 12:05 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 12, 2013

By Lawrence Budd - Staff Writer

Kelly Kohls, president of the Springboro school board, filed a complaint that resulted in the investigation of an assistant fire chief facing an identity fraud allegation, according to a police report obtained by the Dayton Daily News.

Kohls reported to Clearcreek Twp. police on July 27 that someone posed as her in an internet blog focused on Springboro school levy issues, according to the report.

The initial report that triggered the investgation of Chris Vecchi, assistant fire chief in Clearcreek Township, was obtained Wednesday in response to a newspaper request for documents.

The blog post was made on July 27 in a discussion of the need for a school levy in Springboro, according to the report.

The board recently voted to seek renewal of a reduced levy for operating funds after months of heated community debate. District voters have rejected five consecutive levies for new operating funds.

Vecchi was placed on administrative leave on Aug. 15, pending results of an identity fraud investigation by police and an internal investigation, according to township records.

Authorities began focusing on Vecchi after investigating Kohls’ complaint and obtaining a warrant that enabled them to identify the source of the blog posting, Clearcreek Twp. Police Chief John Terrill said Wednesday.

No charges have been filed.
Terrill said he still is investigating whether there is enough proof to bring one or more criminal charges.

“That may lead to one. It may lead to more than one,” Terrill said.

Vecchi’s suspension notice said he is accused of identity fraud, a fifth-degree felony.

The Clearcreeek Township Fire District provides fire protection and ambulance service in Springboro and the township. Springboro has its own police department.

Kohls, who is not seeking re-election, could not be reached for comment.

Vecchi’s lawyer said he is working with a township lawyer to resolve the matter.

As part of his administrative leave requirements, Vecchi, a firefighter in Clearcreek Twp. since September 2003, is required to remain at his home from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on weekdays. No disciplinary hearing has been scheduled.

Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell said his office was contacted by Clearcreek police about an identity fraud case.

“Nobody was identified at that time,” Fornshell said in an email earlier this week.

In Ohio, identity fraud is the criminal charge used in cases involving the alleged theft of a person’s identity or fraud committed using the stolen identity, according to authorities.

“Identity theft and identity fraud are terms used to refer to all types of crime in which someone wrongfully obtains and uses another person’s personal data in some way that involves fraud or deception, typically for economic gain,” according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

There is no allegation of financial gain in this case. Still Terrill said using someone’s identity on a blog could result in criminal action.

“Sometimes you are responsible for the words that you write,” Terrill said.
reality

Girard, OH

#27474 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
You realize that doing that hands the victory to MSA. Your choice.
What do I realize? Any or all of the following...

You lack enough COGNITIVE ABILITY to click on the Warren County Board of Elections website (the link I PROVIDED to you earlier), the website that provides names of candidates running for Springboro school board, as well as other Warren county elections.

-or-

You are much too A.D.D. to wait until said candidates make their respective strategic campaign moves.

-or-

You are inherently, a jerk.
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27475 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet no names are uttered. MSA will win on name recognition alone. Don't you people understand elections? Obama does.
...no names are uttered, you say? Obviously, you are not listening in the RIGHT places.

Do you still not know that your MSA team has been LEFT behind the RIGHT campaign trail in the continued direction of our reform minded board philosophy?

Do you still not know, that voters all around town doing what's right for our school district and community, all agree that
"there is no place in our children's 21st century education for
the status quo leadership of Ron Malone's past 40 years of expertise?"

Waste Watchers

Akron, OH

#27476 Sep 16, 2013
tellthetruth wrote:
School board president brought identity fraud complaint
Assistant fire chief under investigation Blog post basis for identity fraud probe
Posted: 12:05 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 12, 2013
By Lawrence Budd - Staff Writer
Kelly Kohls, president of the Springboro school board, filed a complaint that resulted in the investigation of an assistant fire chief facing an identity fraud allegation, according to a police report obtained by the Dayton Daily News.
Kohls reported to Clearcreek Twp. police on July 27 that someone posed as her in an internet blog focused on Springboro school levy issues, according to the report.
The initial report that triggered the investgation of Chris Vecchi, assistant fire chief in Clearcreek Township, was obtained Wednesday in response to a newspaper request for documents.
The blog post was made on July 27 in a discussion of the need for a school levy in Springboro, according to the report.
The board recently voted to seek renewal of a reduced levy for operating funds after months of heated community debate. District voters have rejected five consecutive levies for new operating funds.
Vecchi was placed on administrative leave on Aug. 15, pending results of an identity fraud investigation by police and an internal investigation, according to township records.
Authorities began focusing on Vecchi after investigating Kohls’ complaint and obtaining a warrant that enabled them to identify the source of the blog posting, Clearcreek Twp. Police Chief John Terrill said Wednesday.
No charges have been filed.
Terrill said he still is investigating whether there is enough proof to bring one or more criminal charges.
“That may lead to one. It may lead to more than one,” Terrill said.
Vecchi’s suspension notice said he is accused of identity fraud, a fifth-degree felony.
The Clearcreeek Township Fire District provides fire protection and ambulance service in Springboro and the township. Springboro has its own police department.
Kohls, who is not seeking re-election, could not be reached for comment.
Vecchi’s lawyer said he is working with a township lawyer to resolve the matter.
As part of his administrative leave requirements, Vecchi, a firefighter in Clearcreek Twp. since September 2003, is required to remain at his home from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on weekdays. No disciplinary hearing has been scheduled.
Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell said his office was contacted by Clearcreek police about an identity fraud case.
“Nobody was identified at that time,” Fornshell said in an email earlier this week.
In Ohio, identity fraud is the criminal charge used in cases involving the alleged theft of a person’s identity or fraud committed using the stolen identity, according to authorities.
“Identity theft and identity fraud are terms used to refer to all types of crime in which someone wrongfully obtains and uses another person’s personal data in some way that involves fraud or deception, typically for economic gain,” according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
There is no allegation of financial gain in this case. Still Terrill said using someone’s identity on a blog could result in criminal action.
“Sometimes you are responsible for the words that you write,” Terrill said.
Responsible taxpaying citizens should contact Clearcreek Township Administrator, Dennis Pickett, and ask that Mr. Kidd bring an apology to citizens at the next township government meeting.
Mr. Kidd should bring Mr. Vecchi's resignation, with an apology to Clearcreek/Springboro citizens for this unacceptable behavior.
How can we trust our Fire Chief's judgement for future decisions unless he makes the responsible decision to relieve Mr. Vecchi of his irresponsible public service?

"Find out just what thie people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them." - Frederick Douglass
Waste Watchers

Akron, OH

#27477 Sep 16, 2013
reality wrote:
<quoted text>
A quarter century later - What has changed?...nothing!
It is unfortunate that many in this and other communities have become so numb and apathetic to the public sector's abject sense of entitlement.
Totally Agree!
Unfortunate, indeed, and very WASTEFUL of our
tax dollars.

Guess that's to be expected in such a wealthy affluent community when citizens would rather pay up and go along to just get along with local government leaders, rather than face the personal attacks and injustices, that our public sector's sense of entitlement, has done to good citizens like Kelly Kohls (simply because of her political beliefs of fiscal responsibility).

Whatever happened to those four Springboro teachers/coaches who "lawyered up" for legal protection instead of telling the truth regarding their behaviors in question?

Wasn't one of those four teacher/coaches, Mr. Benjamin, who was just granted a supplemental sports contract for the new school year? What subjects does Mr. Benjamin teach at the school?

Also, does anyone know if the Tammy Grigsby lawsuit has been settled?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family Law Attorneys (May '14) 27 min Calvin James 14
Despite this Hannity Insanity: 10 hr FOVR 5
Diversity Perversity (Apr '11) 14 hr The New Cool Warrior 7
What happens when traffic cameras go away? 15 hr Fan of Leon The Man 3
The Dayton Mall shoe-thief shooter: 17 hr Fan of Leon The Man 12
Don't drive your cars to and from bars! 18 hr Dayton Taxpayer 11
Boro etiquette (Jul '13) Dec 17 near side 11
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web