Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31883 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

truth to power

Girard, OH

#27441 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
But our BOE president puting us in the OSBLC wasn't a conflict?(your hypocrisy is alive and well, I see).
So at their age, you expect them to have children? Who do you think they are, Tony Randall?
At least I've "done my homework" and know who I'm voting for.
'Do your homework' obviously loses his point in regard to home schooling, so he attempts to scramble the argument, deflecting it over to OSBLC...

PRICELESS !
truth to power

Girard, OH

#27442 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are those still waiting for names and reasons. I've seen plenty of why NOT to vote for someone, but never why TO vote for someone (unless from an MSA supporter, whose ideas are of no importance here, obviously).
Again, three good reasons:

1) Any district voter can use their deductive reasoning to go to Warren County Board of Election website to discern common sense candidates from the union-supported candidates.

2) Over the next few weeks, advertisements and yard signage will begin flooding onto every street.

3) Why should we reveal these names when we're having WAY too much fun "messin' with Do your homework"?
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27443 Sep 16, 2013
truth to power wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's three good reasons:
1) Any district voter can use their deductive reasoning to go to Warren County Board of Election website to discern common sense candidates from the union-supported candidates.
2) Over the next few weeks, advertisements and yard signage will begin flooding onto every street.
3) Why should we reveal these names when we're having WAY too much fun "messin' with Do your homework"?
1) Obviously no voter here can (or has).

2) Word is already out about MSA.

3) As some have said on this board "nice deflection".
Do your homework

Xenia, OH

#27444 Sep 16, 2013
truth to power wrote:
<quoted text>
'Do your homework' obviously loses his point in regard to home schooling, so he attempts to scramble the argument, deflecting it over to OSBLC...
PRICELESS !
I didn't lose anything. If the school system is so much better, then why don't certain board members put their kids back in public school?

I still have yet to see any names...
Question Everything

Akron, OH

#27445 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's one. Two of them have been teachers and therefore would have a better understanding of what teachers go through on a day-to-day basis.
I would also be willing to bet that all of them have spend more time in public schools than some of the children of the current BOE who homeschool their children.
Of course, you'll go on now and rip them for that and say that's why not to vote for them, because they will be for the money-grubbing SEA,etc.(by the way, didn't the teachers agree to a pay freeze a couple of years ago? Oh, sorry, guess that sheds a positive light on the teachers and is not allowed here where it is said that " the KKK has nothing on the American public education system." and that Factcheck.org was made up to prove a point for this discussion.
This board is all about tearing down what is known (MSA) and never bringing up what isn't known (better alternative candidates).
Why would our community want to go back to the past? We have sought to change the status quo, and that is difficult, but debate does not equal harm. The politically correct tenet that spirited discussion is harmful stifles new ideas. When a blanket of suppression covers the conversation, the only sure losers will be our community and the children we serve.
Educate Springboro looks to the future–using the knowledge of the past, but with direction toward a goal. While the Board of Education has made missteps in the past year and a half, they were made in a public and transparent fashion. This transparency allowed the community to engage and round out our actions to reflect their wishes and desires. It produced better, more properly vetted ideas and actions, and our schools are better for it. When we work together and talk to each other about the issues, better solutions are developed.
Our leadership is navigating us away from the repeated failures of the past and toward a better future for our schools. We are leading with a goal to provide every Springboro child the opportunity to acquire all the knowledge and intellectual skills they possibly can. It has been our desire to remove all barriers that might restrain them from their innate desire to inquire, explore, and absorb everything they can. Looking to the past, copying failed policies, and fearing change does not remove barriers to improvement, it imposes them.
We’ve built a financial foundation on the principle of fiscal responsibility. We’ll continue to make changes that make sense; for example, eliminating underutilized courses to fill needs in other areas. We won’t propose new classes just to fill an employee’s schedule and avoid a difficult decision. We won’t continue relationships with service providers that don’t provide the best value just because working with them has been past practice. We’ll continue to demand integrity and ethics from everyone we work with from boosters to vendors, from students to administrators.
Common sense, ethics and sound financial decisions guide Educate Springboro. Share this with your friends and neighbors.
The fear of change will not chase our community back into the darkness of previously failed practices.
Let’s stay on this new course and move in the direction of leadership for our children, schools and community.
visit http://educatespringboro.org/ .
Heart Burn

United States

#27446 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
...This board is all about tearing down what is known (MSA) and never bringing up what isn't known (better alternative candidates).
And you wonder why others are toying with you by not bringing up alternative candidates. You can't support your candidates with objective reasons to vote FOR them. So you want to change the discussion by tearing down other candidates. Yes you are the transparent. If you remember Petroni and Rigano ran on a very specific platform of objectinve items they wanted and proved to be able to do. They actually did their homework, and it shows today witht the succes they have had in our district. SAM doesn't seem to actaully stand for anything other than to "take back our board". You certainly have not given any real reason to vote for them. In fact, by your own words you have given me pause to serioulsy look at other candidates...ones with children in the district, ones that have never sued the district as a sittring teacher, ones that do not have huge conficts of interest by serving family over the kids and the interests of the community.

But I digress. Lets look at some of your other recent "homework" and contradicting posts:
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>...I also have a hard time with a board that...are putting our "hard earned tax dollars" at risk, being spend on court cases we (like most others) will loose(sic).
You do know, from all your homework, that Stuckey has previuosly sued the district? And not this BOE. He lost, of course, but is that what you want from a teacher and BOE member? A person that has put his self interest ahead of the kids, district and coummunity to sue because he didn't get a coaching job he wanted?

You keep giving me more and more reasons not to support these people. lol.

For my own edification; Can you name a single court case "like most others" that this BOE has lost?
truth to power

Girard, OH

#27447 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Also I don't see how someone get's voted on to the BOE without having a child enlisted in Springboro Public Schools, but that was the public's decision. Those people have nothing to loose since their children aren't affected by the BOE's decisions.
I need to re-package these words and send them back to you. Very soon, before you realize it, you're going to be eating them.
What if any is your preference? FEDX, AMEX or UPS?
Lerxst

Girard, OH

#27448 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are those still waiting for names and reasons. I've seen plenty of why NOT to vote for someone, but never why TO vote for someone (unless from an MSA supporter, whose ideas are of no importance here, obviously).
Reasons to continue in the direction we are going have been repeatedly posted in this forum (i.e. budget surplus, teacher's contract settled, return of busing, lower pay to play fees, lower tax amount proposed on the upcoming levy, etc.). Go visit http://educatespringboro.org/ for more. If the candidates on the ballot continue that (whether Malone, Stuckey, Anderson or Mickey Mouse) then they will get my vote.

Now, what are the compelling reasons that MSA are standing on that they want me to turn my back on the results that the current board has brought us? Unlike the educate springboro site, the MSA website has nothing except hollow "guiding principles." Is it unreasonable for me to ask for, and hear, the details of their plans? If they are compelling enough I'll vote for them. Otherwise, just because someone's name is Ron Malone is not good enough.
Believing

Akron, OH

#27449 Sep 16, 2013
I am a risk taker. I will let myself believe.

Excellence is not an act, but a habit.
- Aristotle

Expect More, Achieve More!
Excellence is not a banner on the wall or a quick headline in the news. It is what we do every day. Our core business is excellence in teaching, learning and leading. We strive to be a little better today than we were yesterday. That excellence is not an act. It is a habit, and it's a goal that we embrace every day throughout our district.- Springboro Schools

(This message is approved by Springboro Families and Taxpaying Homeowners who fully support the direction in which our current school board representatives are leading our children's 21st Century quality classroom education.)
Heart Burn

United States

#27450 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
But our BOE president puting us in the OSBLC wasn't a conflict?(your hypocrisy is alive and well, I see).
1) How is it a conflict if it was a better choice?

2) She isn't running is she?

3) what is hypocritical about it?
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
So at their age, you expect them to have children? Who do you think they are, Tony Randall?
But are there candidates that do have children "enlisted" in the distrcit? This is YOUR criteria, not mine. Why are you not looking at, nor can you name any other candidate that may meet YOUR criteria much better than those that don't?
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
At least I've "done my homework" and know who I'm voting for.
So you already know who you are voting for, but can't name any other candidates. WOW. You have made your mind up already to vote for candidates that go against pretty much every thing you hold dear when it comes to being a good BOE member...A bunch of old men those that sue the district, those that have no kids in the district and those that have conflicts of interests, when there are other cxandidates that do not have those issues....if that is your homework...Doesn't sound like you have done your homework very well...So far I'd have to give you a D-
partisan

Fairborn, OH

#27451 Sep 16, 2013
being on the school board is a very thankless job, with most board members being open to name calling, slanderous statements and having their personal lives put under a microscope. it's a wonder to me why anyone would want to be a school board member.
truth to power

Girard, OH

#27452 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Obviously no voter here can (or has).
3) As some have said on this board "nice deflection".
So this virtual wedgie you're experiencing is the result of a lack of ability on your part to access the Warren County BOE site?
Here ya go, skippy!! So glad I could help!!

http://www.co.warren.oh.us/bdelec/candidates_...
No Turning Back

Akron, OH

#27453 Sep 16, 2013
Long held traditons provide the foundation for Springboro students as they achieve in academics, the arts and athletics. These traditions are merging with the expectations of a changing world. Many of today's top careers didn't exist ten years ago, and our students are growing up immersed in technology. We are creating a 21st Century learning environment where all students are encouraged to succeed in our globally and digitally connected world.

Springboro Schools: Expect More. Achieve More.

How can we believe in Ron Malone's leadership team as board representatives in charge of our children's 21st Century quality classroom education, when Mr. Malone doesn't even believe in himself as a good "fit" with Board expectations?

"I've always felt that the key to a person's effectiveness is how they fit within an organizational philosophy. This changes over time. I'm not sure the fit is a good now as when I came to Springboro in 2000."
- Ron Malone, former high school principal and 2013 school board candidate

People in this community need to spread the news that Mr. Malone seeks to gain control of our reform minded Children First Budgeting Board Members, with whom he disagrees in 21st century education philosophy, only to re-instate status quo SEA business as usual ...
To put the re-emphasis on increased dollars for more union employees job security, while leaving our kids left behind.

Some people get so entrenched in the old philosophy of status quo business as usual that it’s tough to get them to think whether or not something is going to help the kids.
Heart Burn

United States

#27454 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhhhhh, using YOUR criteria:

1) Not a bunch of old men with no kids in the system. Do the other candidates have children in the district? If yes then your homework is flawed

2) Not a bunch of old men with a history of suing the district. Have any of the other candidates ever sued the district? If the answer is no then you homework is flawed.

3) Not a bunch of old men with conflicts of interests. Do any of the other candidates have conflicts of interests, personal agendas to protect family members, etc? If the ansnwer is no then your homework is flawed.

There are 3 positive reasons...using YOUR criteria, to vote for, or at the very least not have your mkjind made up already and look at other candidates.
truth to power

Girard, OH

#27455 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>

Yeah! The word's out about MSA, alright!
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27456 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't speak for them. However I can't support a board that allows hate speach and a confederate flag to be displayed in a board meeting one minute and stiflling free speach the next. The speakers who were thrown out were said not to be speaking about items "on the adgenda". They were speaking about items on the agenda in the executive session portion. Decisions are made in executive session just as they are in public sesson, therefore the public has a RIGHT to speak to either to let their voices be heard.
I also have a hard time with a board that wishes to bring in religion and force it onto kids in public schools.(see Dover) When they did that they are putting our "hard earned tax dollars" at risk, being spend on court cases we (like most others) will loose.
Also I don't see how someone get's voted on to the BOE without having a child enlisted in Springboro Public Schools, but that was the public's decision. Those people have nothing to loose since their children aren't affected by the BOE's decisions.
Again, what are the names of the candidates that are the other options? I would think it's a simple question but I guess if noone supports any other candidates then the election result is pretty much determined before it even starts.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend your right to have your say.

Is displaying a Confederate flag a crime of some sort?

The speakers who were asked to leave were because they kept arguing with the chair about what they felt they had the right to do whether or not it was in agreement with the rules of order.

Since no one but those in executive session know what goes on there, I find it exceptionally difficult to believe these people wished to speak on subjects they had no idea existed or not. Those asked to leave were just causing trouble for the sake of causing trouble and grandstanding to a partisan union and pro-union crowd.

I must have missed the forced Catholic catechism classes, when did that happen?

Spent on meaningless court cases, you mean like Ms Gregg's court case? It doesn't get any more meaningless than that. The real perps in that one are long gone, Mr. Long, Mr Lolli, Mr Renshaw, and Ms Warner. One person who did not show up in any discussions was Ron Malone, the erstwhile principal and supervisor of Mr. Renshaw, and in whose school Ms Griggs was to have taught. You would have thought that given the nature of this affair, Mr. Malone's superiors, Mr. Lolli, Mr. Long or Mrs. Warner may have contacted him about this matter. None did according to their affidavits, a casual dismissal of Mr. Malone's true degree of relevance within the school district hierarchy or was it a concerted effort to shield someone more intimately involved from possible fallout? Funny what comes out in depositions now, is it not?

Which one of Mr. Malone, Mr. Stuckey, or Mr Anderson has a child of their own in the Springboro public school system?

Mr. Malone, Mr. Stuckey, and Mr Anderson obviously do not have any skin in the game. As older white males on premier retirement plans, they are a generation or two removed and shielded from the struggles of real parenting today.

A funny thing happened on the way to the coronation..........
Curious

Toledo, OH

#27457 Sep 16, 2013
If the school board is spending money on technology, then why are there eight year old computers in the high school labs?
Heart Burn

United States

#27458 Sep 16, 2013
Do your homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, never knew the power I had over your vote. Maybe someday you'll be able to do your OWN resarch and make up your OWN mind. Until then, glad I can influence you (your convictions must be weak, if I have any influence on them).
My own research? Me thinks you haven't read a single thing I've posted.

Did you just say your convictions are weak? I think you're preaching that to the choir...we all have witnessed that from your posts. lol
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27459 Sep 16, 2013
Curious wrote:
If the school board is spending money on technology, then why are there eight year old computers in the high school labs?
Money that is planned and allocated for purchases must still move through the proper channels to ensure our district spends that money responsibly, rationally, and reasonably to the best accrued benefit of us all.
No Turning Back

Akron, OH

#27460 Sep 16, 2013
partisan wrote:
being on the school board is a very thankless job, with most board members being open to name calling, slanderous statements and having their personal lives put under a microscope. it's a wonder to me why anyone would want to be a school board member.
Obviously, Ron Malone wants to be a "school board member" to continue serving the best interests of the Springboro Education Association. Perhaps he has not looked past his big ego broadly enough to recognize that a school board representative has to have VISION for doing what's right for our SEA school community AND our community of taxpayers as a whole; and that the school board elected official must have a civic pride in SERVING all constituents.

Our reform minded school board representatives have the winning agenda of civic pride in serving ALL constituents; but Mr. Malone has rejected the new philosophy of our reform minded agenda; and now seeks only to serve his own ego by trying to turn a very important school board election into a popularity contest. Where is the professionalism in this tunnel vision leadership that could possibly benefit our children's future education?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Chris 20,107
maternity care new to area 13 hr newbymom 3
Ohio's bitchin' politicians... 15 hr Fan of Leon The Man 1
R.I.P. My 1997 SONY fat-screen TV 15 hr The Duke of Hazard 1
why do white people smell like wet dogs? (Oct '14) Tue THE DOCTOR IS IN 17
Today's Leon Harrison Quotation Tue Leon Harrison 32
"Our ITTs can't compete with their H-1Bs" Aug 30 Leon Harrison 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages