Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,337)

Showing posts 26,721 - 26,740 of31,004
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Bully Proof Your Child

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

Attention Parents - Only YOU can bully-proof your child with self respect and pride in individual achievement which is the only response to societies institutional bullies, anti-patriotic bullies, race bullie, class bullies, sex bullies, green bullies, secular bullies. Nurture your child, encouraging self-discipline and self-respect, and reminders of Don't leave your virtues at home when you head off to school. Remember, a union teacher in every classroom just can't do it all!
For Sure

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2013

Judged:

David Bowman and his Springboro United for Responsible Education.... all about Bullying the board until the board gave the teachers the RESPECT they deserve...? What irresponsibile role models for our students is that?

Ron Malone and his kids for protesting
reinstate Ron Malone in March 2012 community wide bullying of Springboro citizens, board members, and Ron's SHS students, whose parents were of conservative political persuasion. How un-professional is that, Mr. Malone? Isn't it true that school board candidate, Dr. Ron Malone, has prescribed "Bullying" as the bottom line of insane popularity for our Boro Alumni? Where's the Pride in that poor leadership?
No Turning Back

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

In the direction of sustainability

DISTRICT TO ASK FOR LOWER TAX MILLAGE IN NOVEMBER

In the football stands on Friday nights, we can see a basic truth: our schools and community are inextricably tied. Public schools serve the community. And the community supports public schools. Today we stand in an almost unheard of place: we are financially prepared to give something back to the taxpayer–to give back to our community by reducing the tax burden. The renewal levy on the ballot in November will be set at a lower millage rate to reduce taxes generated by that levy by nearly 15 percent (a reduction of $1,353,800 per year). There is an assumption that if we are cutting the taxes; we must be cutting back in our schools. This is simply false.

The following needs are in the current budget through 2017:

high school busing restored
over $2 million in textbooks and curriculum adoption
over $2.1 million for new buses
over $3.7 million in capital needs and deferred maintenance
over $1.5 million in technology (100 percent WiFi, 1,000 computers, 350 teacher laptops)
over $7.5 million for our staff in raises and benefit changes
These needs are met in the five-year forecast even with the lower renewal levy.

How is this possible?

Efficiency plans, reallocating resources, and receiving increased revenue all make the lower renewal levy possible.
Since 2012-2013, the district has received $3.5 million per year due to tax revenue from the Rocky's Express natural gas pipeline.(A second gas pipeline is being installed through the school district territory; however, the district’s current forecast assumptions DO NOT include projections of any funds it is likely to bring to the district.)
We recently learned that our district will receive 6.5% more in 2013-2014 than in the previous year from the State of Ohio (approximately $828,000) as well as 10.5% more in 2014-2015 (approximately $1.2 million).
The May 2013 five-year budget forecast reflected a surplus of $7.55 million in 2017.
With consideration of additional state revenue and after the approval of contracts with teachers, classified and exempt staff, budget projections still reflect a surplus of $7.2 million in 2017 with the current millage.
When the proposed decreased renewal levy is applied to budget projections, there is a still a surplus of approximately $3.9 million.
With every step, we are proving that this district--with its record of excellence--is sustainable with an even lower tax burden. We are meeting and exceeding state mandates as well as local expectations. We are building a technology backbone, investing in computers, curriculum, buses and buildings. Most important, we are being honest about what is needed through 2017. This is reform at the local level, and this is working together toward sustainability.
Editorial note: This article is adapted from a blog post by Springboro Board of Education Member David Petroni.
No Turning Back

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

The 2013 Board of Education campaign is taking shape in Springboro, and there is a clear theme emerging from three of the candidates. The opposition’s run for school board seems to be fueled by fear. It is dark and angry — promising to bring calm to a storm.
The problem with their platform is that there is no storm.

Common sense, ethics and sound financial decisions guide Educate Springboro. Share this with your friends and neighbors.
The fear of change will not chase our community back into the darkness of previously failed practices.
Let’s stay on this new course and move in the direction of leadership for our children, schools and community.
To learn more about us, visit http://educatespringboro.org/ .
Lerxst

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

For Sure wrote:
David Bowman and his Springboro United for Responsible Education.... all about Bullying the board until the board gave the teachers the RESPECT they deserve...? What irresponsibile role models for our students is that?
Ron Malone and his kids for protesting
reinstate Ron Malone in March 2012 community wide bullying of Springboro citizens, board members, and Ron's SHS students, whose parents were of conservative political persuasion. How un-professional is that, Mr. Malone? Isn't it true that school board candidate, Dr. Ron Malone, has prescribed "Bullying" as the bottom line of insane popularity for our Boro Alumni? Where's the Pride in that poor leadership?
Go read Bowman's latest blog post located here: http://www.davidebowman.com/how-our-founding-...

What's interesting to note about his posts is that all he does is tell us why we should NOT vvote for the current board and completely avoids telling us why we SHOULD vote for Malone, Stuckey and Anderson. Not even the web site for those three has any information on the issues and/or their stances. Are we to vote for them based on popularity? Seems that is what they are relying on. That and the usual scorched earth, sky is falling scare tactics that we have been witness to in the last few years.

Can someone articulate their stances? If they want my vote it would be nice to know exactly what they intend to do. Simply stating "we are for the children" is not sufficient.
BORO ALUMNI

Maineville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Your Hatred Is Showing wrote:
<quoted text>
Doug didn't say anything about this. Who are you debating, yourself?
Apparently you didn't read the entire post. My response was to "Get Smart". DOH!!
Big Questions

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

BORO ALUMNI wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you didn't read the entire post. My response was to "Get Smart". DOH!!
But why this evil indoctrination of our students and young people in Malone's egotistical "vote for revenge" against Springboro taxpayers, who have so generously INVESTED our hard earned money into his double dipping pockets all these years?

Why should we not expect more educational expertise from our school board candidates than "voting for revenge to re-instate Ron Malone?"

Excellence is not an act, but a habit.- Aristotle
Celebrate Our Success

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Springboro Schools perform well. There's no doubt about it. Our schools repeatedly achieve the state's highest ratings. Our students score in the classroom, in music and athletics, and many give back to our community. But as schools across the country prepare for the new Common Core curriculum ( www.corestandards.org ) and we adopt new teacher and principal evaluation systems, new testing, standards and technology, we will not rest on our past success. Instead, we will look ahead to tomorrow's challenges. We will expect more! NO TURNING BACK...

The 2013 Board of Education campaign is taking shape in Springboro, and there is a clear theme emerging from three of the candidates. The opposition’s run for school board seems to be fueled by fear. It is dark and angry — promising to bring calm to a storm.
The problem with their platform is that there is no storm.

Common sense, ethics and sound financial decisions guide Educate Springboro. Share this with your friends and neighbors.
The fear of change will not chase our community back into the darkness of previously failed practices.
Let’s stay on this new course and move in the direction of leadership for our children, schools and community.
To learn more about us, visit http://educatespringboro.org/ .
partisan

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

is there ANYONE worth voting for on the ballot for school board ???? I will not vote for Malone, Stuckey, Anderson...and Babb did me a favor by dropping out.
Non Partisan Voter

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

partisan wrote:
is there ANYONE worth voting for on the ballot for school board ???? I will not vote for Malone, Stuckey, Anderson...and Babb did me a favor by dropping out.
Most people I live around and work with are not really thinking at this time about the November elections. The excitement of the new school year and new football season upon us has taken center stage; and now our new high school principal has taken up the critical issue of the high school kids dress code...omg... do our professional educators have nothing better to do than gather teachers and parents in yet another another meeting to discuss changing the dress code rules -- why not just issue a black tee and a pair of jeans so that all individuality is removed and our schools can become non-gender unionisms, removing the words he and she from our kid's curriculum, and refusing to allow our children the self-pride of learning cursive writing; because after all, every signature is unique; and we do want to make sure in our government schools of unionism that every child is recognized only as "collective" community.

Just as we now have "collective" union school board candidates, Ron Malone, David Stuckey, and Charles Anderson bound together as a threesome, because it takes three union bullies to challenge ONE reform-minded BOE president! That's just so silly!
I definitely will not be following the "flock" of union school board candidates in November! I will be looking for a leader who soars above the flock; running for school board election solely on individual Principles of doing what's right for our school children and community tax payers; regardless of name recognition and popularity.
partisan

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Non Partisan Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Most people I live around and work with are not really thinking at this time about the November elections. The excitement of the new school year and new football season upon us has taken center stage; and now our new high school principal has taken up the critical issue of the high school kids dress code...omg... do our professional educators have nothing better to do than gather teachers and parents in yet another another meeting to discuss changing the dress code rules -- why not just issue a black tee and a pair of jeans so that all individuality is removed and our schools can become non-gender unionisms, removing the words he and she from our kid's curriculum, and refusing to allow our children the self-pride of learning cursive writing; because after all, every signature is unique; and we do want to make sure in our government schools of unionism that every child is recognized only as "collective" community.
Just as we now have "collective" union school board candidates, Ron Malone, David Stuckey, and Charles Anderson bound together as a threesome, because it takes three union bullies to challenge ONE reform-minded BOE president! That's just so silly!
I definitely will not be following the "flock" of union school board candidates in November! I will be looking for a leader who soars above the flock; running for school board election solely on individual Principles of doing what's right for our school children and community tax payers; regardless of name recognition and popularity.
you haven't answered my question...:(
Non Partisan Voter

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Preparing our students to be digital learners as we dedicate $1.1 million to bring our infrastructure up to date, go wireless in every classroom, and replace 1,100 of the district's aging computers. Our classrooms will be equipped for the new online state tests in 2014. Computers will not be a lonely station in the corner of the classroom. With this inverstment, technology will be integrated into instruction, problem-solving and learning.....

Springboro Schools Expect More, Achieve More....

There is no place in the busy schedule of our highly paid professional educators work duties for "problem-solving" for their students what to wear to school! How silly that the school puts so much emphasis on teaching "critical thinking skills" and then do not allow high school students to exercise their own creativity in thinking about what to wear!

lol........High School principal says.....
I have received several emails regarding dress code and yoga pants. There is a proper way to wear yoga pants and that is to have a pair of appropriate length shorts or an appropriate length skirt over top the pants. Long sweaters covering a girl’s posterior just as tightly as the yoga pants are still inappropriate. Girls wearing skirts and shorts are responsible for ensuring that the length of the skirt or shorts is three inches below the fingertips when the girl’s arms are at her sides.
Non Partisan Voter

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

partisan wrote:
<quoted text>
you haven't answered my question...:(
And why should I? As an independent thinker, never collectively, I treasure the privilege of my RIGHT to vote, not my REQUIREMENT.
Non Partisan Voter

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

lol........High School principal says.....
I have received several emails regarding dress code and yoga pants. There is a proper way to wear yoga pants and that is to have a pair of appropriate length shorts or an appropriate length skirt over top the pants. Long sweaters covering a girl’s posterior just as tightly as the yoga pants are still inappropriate. Girls wearing skirts and shorts are responsible for ensuring that the length of the skirt or shorts is three inches below the fingertips when the girl’s arms are at her sides.

Here's the irony of professional educators in our government schools micro- managing every decision
for which parents and children should take responsibility (from what the student wears to school to what the student donates to charity)...

FeedOhio is a statewide campaign to stock Ohio's food pantries that provide food and necessities for those in need. Between now and September 11th monetary donations can be made online at www.ohiofoodbanks.org/feedohio via credit card or PayPal. Just $1 can equal four meals. Food and personal care items can be dropped off at the Springboro Community Assistance Center located at 40 Florence Drive (Jonathan Wright School) on Saturday, Sept. 7th between 9:00 AM and 11:00 AM.
Non Partisan Voter

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

partisan wrote:
You and I disagree that Babb did you a favor ...
Babb did Ron Malone a favor by stepping down to allow him to have the votes that Babb would have pulled from Malone's threesome.
That's the thing about the bottom line of collective thinkers who never raise the bar -- they just hunker down and protect status quo -- and someone always has to sacrifice, individually, for the collective business as usual to survive.
Again, I will not vote for a collective threesome of SEA union
rubber stamps.
partisan

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Non Partisan Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
And why should I? As an independent thinker, never collectively, I treasure the privilege of my RIGHT to vote, not my REQUIREMENT.
good grief...what a lame answer !
Tee Hee Hee

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

partisan wrote:
<quoted text>
good grief...what a lame answer !
Typical "partisan" response!-- If an independent thinker does not "parrot" back what a partisan is thinking, then the partisan thinks the independent thinker response is "lame!" Where's the respect for "both sides?"
partisan

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Tee Hee Hee wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical "partisan" response!-- If an independent thinker does not "parrot" back what a partisan is thinking, then the partisan thinks the independent thinker response is "lame!" Where's the respect for "both sides?"
the least you can do non-partisan is to use your first alias instead of switching id's...that is more than lame. wasn't asking for your maiden name...was asking a general question that you got your panties in a bind over.
Tee Hee Hee

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

partisan wrote:
<quoted text>
the least you can do non-partisan is to use your first alias instead of switching id's...that is more than lame. wasn't asking for your maiden name...was asking a general question that you got your panties in a bind over.
Just jumped into that partisan/non-partisan "general" question there -- just gave me a chuckle -- and the least I could do was pass a long a chuckle or two to all you uptight partisan/non-partisan ones! Love Y'all!
Stay Focused

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
Questions that beg answers after reading what professional educators who audited our program of studies at the high school reported.
What was Mr. Malone doing with his curriculum?
Just 13% of his students were in A/P classes? LESS than 2% were enrolled in PSEO?
That amounts to LESS than 1 child in 7 getting a rigorous course of study.
This was as good as Mr. Malone could produce, 1 out of 7 students getting a real education?
HIgh Schools That Work Ohio Regions
Technical Assistance Visit Report
Springboro High School, Springboro, Ohio
December 14-15, 2010
This report presents findings of a High Schools That Work (HSTW) Technical Assistance Visit (TAV) to Springboro High School (SHS), Springboro, Ohio, on December 14-15, 2010. It describes major goals facing administrators, faculty and students in achieving the HSTW Goals, Key Practices and Key Conditions to implement the HSTW school improvement design.
For each TAV goal, the report provides the school with recommended action steps and resources for HSTW Key Practices and/or state/federal accountability targets selected by the school or the TAV Team to close achievement gaps and increase student achievement.
The report reflects the limitations of a two-day visit to assess all efforts under way to improve the academic achievement of all students. HSTW Ohio Regions and the Ohio Department of Education, in collaboration with the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB), require a TAV as part of the overall HSTW school improvement process.
Overriding Goal: Close the achievement gaps and raise student achievement in meeting state, federal and HSTW targets by 2014. To achieve this goal, the school must continue to create a culture of high expectations and provide extra help.
Goal 1: Require all students to complete rigorous middle and high school courses that meet the Ohio Core/HSTW-upgraded academic core and concentrations (HSTW-recommended curriculum), align to Ohio/national standards, and focus on standards-based instruction at the proficient and advanced levels.
Goal 2: Engage students in their learning through relevant, student-centered instructional strategies resulting in a deeper understanding and higher demonstrated achievement of standards.
Goal 3: Establish a comprehensive guidance and advisement system that involves students and parents, including strong academic transitions for successful completion of middle school, high school, postsecondary education, and careers.
Goal 4: Strengthen a seamless, continuous improvement process through strong leadership, actively involved school improvement teams, effective use of data, and aligned professional development.
Springboro High School (SHS) is a suburban, comprehensive high school located in southwest Ohio. SHS joined the HSTW network in 2002. Since 2003, the school has received a HSTW state grant. The school received an initial TAV in March 2004 and a TRV in February 2007. SHS administered its first HSTW Assessment in 2004. They receive middle school students from Springboro Junior High, an MMGW site since 2003.
SHS operates on a seven-period day schedule of 50 minutes per class.
The school offers 12 Advanced Placement (AP) courses and five honors courses.(Thirteen percent are enrolled in AP courses.)
LESS than two percent (24 students) participate in Post Secondary Education Options (PSEO) at Miami University – Middletown, Sinclair Community College and Wright State University.
SHS does not offer other dual credit programs.(College and High School credits earned at the same time)
To graduate, a student must earn 21 credits and pass the Ohio Graduation Tests (OGT).
This year, six percent (91 students) of students enrolled in Warren County Career Center (WCCC). These students are not all enrolled in career-technical (C-T) concentrations. Some are in the Teacher Academy and/or the Senior Internship program.
.. 1 out of 7 students getting a real education?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 26,721 - 26,740 of31,004
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Springboro Discussions

Search the Springboro Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Old Guy 28,463
looking for a text buddy (Nov '12) 5 hr julian 39
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 6 hr toomanymistakes 18,494
The White House has its eye on Dayton 15 hr The Duke of Hazard 1
'80s Burger King drag racing 17 hr thetallcoolone 1
Why can't we post photos any more? Thu The Hack Checker 1
17-year-old boy indicted for knock-out game Wed The Hack Checker 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••