Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,266

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
No Turning Back

Piqua, OH

#27092 Sep 1, 2013
SAY NO TO CRAZY wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I have a few reasons why we should change directions: creationism, League of the South, Liberty Institute, Glenn Beck, and David Barton... Where is STRENGTHENING the curriculum in all of the ideas brought up by the current board that I listed?
Actually, None of these "ideas" were brought up by the current board; and our school district is not in the direction of any of the few reasons that you say is reason we should change directions. Do you have interest in knowing the Real Direction in which our successful school district is going?
Please visit the website http://educatespringboro.org to read the rest of this article and lots more exciting news happening in our schools and community....in the direction of sustainability!

The Springboro school district stands in an almost unheard of position today. Even after plans to invest millions in technology, curriculum, buildings and buses, and even after providing every employee with raises, we are financially prepared to give something back to the taxpayer – to give back to our community by reducing their tax burden. The renewal levy on the ballot in November will be set at a lower millage rate to reduce taxes generated by that levy by nearly 15 percent.
With every step, we are proving that this district with its record of excellence is sustainable with an even lower tax burden. This is almost unheard of in school or local government today.
motorvoter

Cincinnati, OH

#27093 Sep 1, 2013
No Turning Back wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, None of these "ideas" were brought up by the current board;
Unbelievable denial of extremely recent history. The Board has been trying to get away with this for some time. Their last pathetic effort was to have the Liberty Institute or Institute on the Constitution spread their lies and conspiracies on school property.

Did you happen to attend any meetings or watch any news reports?
Stay Focused

Piqua, OH

#27094 Sep 1, 2013
No Turning Back wrote:
<quoted text>
The way many of us see it, our school district is heading in the direction of continuing success. We are all influenced by the negatives that flow freely through the social media and news media; please check out this website for exciting news of great things happening in our schools and community.
In the direction of opportunity ...
by David Petroni “A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”--Winston Churchill When we combine common sense spending with the strong performance of our schools, we can offer opportunities for everyone--our students, teachers, families and our community. The 2013 campaign for school board has begun, and some candidates are calling for a nostalgic turn back to “the way it was.” The status quo says they want to go in a different direction. Here is a reminder of our past:• Instead of facing our challenges, they seemingly would retreat back in time.• Instead of looking for opportunities to improve and innovate, they chose the way they always operated – raise fees, cut busing, reduce support staff, and increase class size to leverage parents.• Instead of reallocating resources in response to a changing financial environment, they chose not to buy books, technology, buses, or to make needed capital improvements. This summer a worker fell 20 feet (blessedly survived with only a broken elbow) while fixing the Clearcreek Elementary roof because the roof decking had been neglected for so long. If regular maintenance is performed, how much less might this repair have cost?We see the status quo woefully ill equipped to meet the challenges that our school district faces.Visit our websitehttp://educatespringbor o.org
Stay Alert Voters! With the excitement of the new school year and winning foot ball games, voters must stay focused on our Children's First Budget winning agenda; and educating Springboro to keep moving in the direction of doing what's right for our children's 21st century education.
lol

Piqua, OH

#27095 Sep 1, 2013
motorvoter wrote:
<quoted text>
Unbelievable denial of extremely recent history. The Board has been trying to get away with this for some time. Their last pathetic effort was to have the Liberty Institute or Institute on the Constitution spread their lies and conspiracies on school property.
Did you happen to attend any meetings or watch any news reports?
Not in denial of recent history (which to me is extremely silly of the political opposition to Springboro parent Kelly Kohls, to think their recent bullying behavior for S-U-R-E is "recent history" (lol again and again!)
The board has never tried to spread lies and conspiracies on school property (although for S-U-R-E the union activists use school property and even our children's classrooms to spread lies and conspiracy theories about our reform minded BOE elected officials).
As a Totally Engaged American,(some of you unionists may prefer calling some of your fellow Americans Tea party wackos...lol...)who thinks independently AND never collectively, I am fully informed of all local government agendas that involve taxing my family home, including the educational agenda of our local government schools; that's how I always know "which one is lying" for S-U-R-E. And YOU, motorvoter, are the PATHETIC lying one--still clinging to your anger and resentment over the amazing achievements of our current board's children's first budget success; AND still trying to re-instate status quo union first bet interest BOE majority members! Just Pathetic! Not to Worry!
Love YA!
Let Freedom Ring

Piqua, OH

#27096 Sep 1, 2013
motorvoter wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I should have pointed out that the current slate of the Board were pushing classes taught by the Institute on the Constitution. Plus, we haven't heard the last from Kelly Kohls. She should be called out for her connections with such radical right-wing conspiracies.
aw come on now, we all know that liberals hate strong conservative women political leaders!(Can't think of a better role model than Kelly Kohls!)no wonder she suffers such abusive bully attacks from her liberal political opposition -- Imagine this "woman" choosing to treat taxpaying homeowners FAIRLY and balancing a Win-Win settlement for ALL -- Now If that is what radical right wing means, then taxpayers say Bring It On!!!

oh by the way, motor mouth, I should have pointed out that you are the pathetic one in denial of the truth! Prove Me Wrong and admit on this blog that your posts deserve to be be judged: Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire!
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27097 Sep 1, 2013
motorvoter wrote:
BREAKING: Likely victim of Kelly Kohls-connected Institute on the Constitution wants YOU to join him at Ground Zero to question the official story! Will you be there, Doug Wiedeman?
www.youtube.com/watch...
visibility911.libsyn.com/2006/06
archive.theamericanview.com/index.php...
fauxcapitalist.com/2012/06/11/purchased-an-in...
I try not to hang out with your friends. But you go right ahead, its a free country, and you like this gentleman have the right to any opinion you wish. I also have the right to agree or disagree with any and all hare brained individuals I choose.

Speaking of which, have you ever come up with an argument that supports Mr. Malone's candidacy for the school board?

Looking at Mr. Malone's many accomplishments:

Allows over hundreds of thousands of dollars to be stolen from his Booster Club at the high school during his tenure.

Denies the same and fights against accountability or transparency in this area.

Dumbs down the curriculum at the high school in spite of there being NO RESEARCH OR DATA to support that concept according to his professional education peers at the Warren County Educational Services Center.

Promotes PROFICIENT as the gold standards in our schools despite knowing full well that PROFICIENT equals FAILURE.

Etc, etc, etc.....
Ask Ron Malone

Piqua, OH

#27098 Sep 1, 2013
Question Everything wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there anyone among our schools/community members who does not think we all owe Dr. Malone a note of Thanks? Of course there is No, not one, who does not graciously offer a note of Thanks for his 13 years of service as high school principal! Hasn't there be numerous events staged and pre-arranged since March 2012 to "laud and applaud" the insanely popular Dr. Malone? Of course we have celebrated outrageously because everybody loves a lover! And hasn't the good Dr. Malone loved almost all of us right back?
On a higher note, the Grand Opening of a New Symphony is making it's debut in our Springboro schools as our school superintendent and school staff have "thrown out the red carpet" to warmly Welcome our kids back to the NEW SCHOOL YEAR of 2013-14! How exciting to walk the familiar halls and see signs of New Adventures in Learning; new staff, new supplies, newly painted walls and polished floors! And the beginnning of the new day starts with the excitement of our kids getting on those NEW school buses and safely heading off to school! Why would any school board candidate mount a campaign to change this direction of opportunity in which our children's future education is successfuly heading?
QUESTION: Mr. Malone, do YOU remember the March 2012 re-instate Ron Malone protest rally that you promoted in our schools, churches and neighborhoods, against the authority of elected board members Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, and David Petroni? Do you remember sitting in the SHS auditorium, smiling, applauding, and joining in approval with other parents and teachers, as these students stepped up to question our elected officials as to which one of them was lying? Did you know that these students are posting on this blog, reminding Springboro taxpayers that they are now all grown up and ready to vote revenge for Principal Ron in November? Mr. Malone, where's the Pride of YOUR mission to produce life long learners and good citizens in these Boro Alumni?
Remember how the 3 of you that post over and over under a multitude of names? Guess what? We are the young people you made fun of as being children for supporting Dr. Malone. Well hmmm,we are all grown up now and eligible to vote. Here we come, Kelly. All those months ago...who is laughing now?
Here is an example of the "return on our investment" in the young people's future. All of that money we paid in taxes for a quality education that Dr. Malone never delivered for our children's future -- What do Springboro taxpayers get in return for our money-- young people seeking revenge -- rubber stamped by Dr. Malone with: No Class Bully - Product of Springboro Education Association Forced Unionism. Where's the pride in that insanely popular leadership?
Ask Ron Malone

Piqua, OH

#27099 Sep 1, 2013
Not good enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they were annoyed we kept doing things that didn't align with their thoughts. Like dumbing down the curriculum, neglecting the junior high feeder program, not promoting dual credit programs, etc etc etc Whose lap does that fall into? Malone's.
Excellence is not an act, but a habit.- Aristotle

Shouldn't we Expect More, Achieve More, for our children's future education than Mr. Malone, who has been a high school principal for 13 years, has the Vision to deliver?
Got Pride

Piqua, OH

#27100 Sep 1, 2013
Dave S wrote:
Not in my community will the greedy, self-interested, community destruction oriented tea party whack jobs posting the same old BS on here destroy the school district that is educating my children. And no I am not a union person nor am I a teacher. I'm a blue collar guy working in a tool shop here in Springboro. Amazing how ignorant you people are.
Wow! What's a nice guy like you doing "way down low in Boro?"

Aren't there "tool shops" somewhere in La-La Land looking to employ you so that you could educate your children among perfect neighbors, that are more of your own "kind?"
For Sure Ignorance could be contagious-- best scurry off before you and your own get "Ignorance."
swee pea

Girard, OH

#27101 Sep 2, 2013
motorvoter wrote:
BREAKING: Likely victim of Kelly Kohls-connected Institute on the Constitution wants YOU to join him at Ground Zero to question the official story! Will you be there, Doug Wiedeman?
www.youtube.com/watch...
visibility911.libsyn.com/2006/06
archive.theamericanview.com/index.php...
fauxcapitalist.com/2012/06/11/purchased-an-in...
Mr. motor mouth, the verbiage you've posted here epitomizes that of an individual that's grossly afflicted with short man's syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_complex

So glad I could help!

(-;
Read My Lips

Piqua, OH

#27102 Sep 2, 2013
SAY NO TO CRAZY wrote:
<quoted text>
How are they FALSE accusations? Have you not been to the BOE meetings, read the newspapers, or read the articles on the internet? It has been ruled UNCONSTITUTIONAL to teach creationism in science class. You can practice your religious expressions all you want in your church/home, or as a student individually as laid out in the Ohio Revised Code 3316.601, but you can't go against the law cases on the books that have repeatedly determined different than YOUR opinion. It's not about YOU. It's the law.
Read my lips and Read the Newspapers -- It's not about YOU.
It's the law that protects freedom of speech (discussion).

Did YOU not read in the local newspaper, the statement of fact made by our Springboro Schools BOE President, Kelly Kohls, who said: It's not about teaching creationism -- it's about discussing creationism.

Thus, YOUR false accusations that the board was pushing teaching creationism.
with blinders on

Girard, OH

#27104 Sep 2, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>

Speaking of which, have you ever come up with an argument that supports Mr. Malone's candidacy for the school board?
Looking at Mr. Malone's many accomplishments:
Allows over hundreds of thousands of dollars to be stolen from his Booster Club at the high school during his tenure.
You bring up a very good point. Obviously the boosters deserve blame for failing to have an effective multiple party checks-and-balance system. However at the same time, this most fundimental of bookkeeping ethics issues no doubt was streaming in front of Malone (and Lolli's) eyes like a rocket's red glare.
Good Bad and Ugly

Piqua, OH

#27105 Sep 2, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a very interesting, and I think the most important, point. The problem in our city is there aren't so many people pointing out the problems, let alone even acknowledging them. I guarantee you the vast majority of the noisy springboro parents that hate the current board and can't stand to see a levy fail know not one iota about the report that Doug keeps posting. They see the words "Excellent with distinction" and have no clue of the criteria that makes up that false rating.
As for solutions? Well, seems to me the current board has implemented many of them.
Well, seems to me the good work being done by our reform-minded BOE majority members,(in just less than two years of doing what's right for our school children and community) has been overshadowed in the public board meetings for sure by the pre-arranged grandstanding of bad and ugly words of war against taxpayers by the pro-levy lovers. Good news is that the vast majority of voters have been educated to recognize that it is those pro-levy lovers behaving badly that need to change direction of status quo failures, and join us in celebrating our successes in the direction of sustainability for our future....way beyond the November elections.
motorvoter

Cincinnati, OH

#27106 Sep 2, 2013
Read My Lips wrote:
<quoted text>
Did YOU not read in the local newspaper, the statement of fact made by our Springboro Schools BOE President, Kelly Kohls, who said: It's not about teaching creationism -- it's about discussing creationism.
Thus, YOUR false accusations that the board was pushing teaching creationism.
Are you that dumb? Isn't this transparent enough for you to pick up on? "Teaching the controversy" etc. is just another method for getting creationism into the classroom.

Why not teach astrology, because lots of people in America believe in astrology?

Creationism is a phony idea, and does not even approach what we call science.

If you believe that humans and dinosaurs co-existed, and that God created light before he created the sun, go ahead. Have fun. But please note that the rational people of the world will resist every step that you take of getting this silliness into the classroom.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27107 Sep 2, 2013
with blinders on wrote:
<quoted text>
You bring up a very good point. Obviously the boosters deserve blame for failing to have an effective multiple party checks-and-balance system. However at the same time, this most fundimental of bookkeeping ethics issues no doubt was streaming in front of Malone (and Lolli's) eyes like a rocket's red glare.
For someone who claims to be so in tune with the goings on at the high school, how did Mr. Malone miss, from his position of access and influence, what others saw in an hour or two of working in the concession stands?

Mr. Malone also must not have had a very curious mind over the 13 year period he oversaw the operations of the high school if he never bothered to inquire how much money the boosters were raising for his athletic programs during that time.

Mr. Malone also must not have a very financially intuitive mind if he could never figure out, at least roughly, how much money was supposed to be flowing through those concession stands or other fund raisers into the booster checkbook.

Mr. Malone's athletic director, Mr Holtrey, developed an accounting record for the boosters in 2008.
Mr. Holtrey ostensibly recorded each and every expense or revenue item in chronological order with a running tally for the Boosters and the various sports teams.

Mr Malone's athletic director, Mr Holtrey, composed the rationale for the pay to participate scam, are we to believe Mr. Malone never reviewed the proposal for his high school or the underlying assumptions and historical record available?

If we are to believe Mr. Malone was a financially hands off administrator, we must also believe he is an extraordinarily uncurious man in regards to finances.

Considering he is asking to be put in charge of a $45,000,000 budget, that does not bode well for the taxpayers, parents, or students of this district.
motorvoter

Cincinnati, OH

#27108 Sep 2, 2013
Here's a great article that speaks to the idiocy of "teaching the controversy" - which, as you say, Kelly Kohls apparently refers to as "discussion."

www.teachersdomain.org/assets/wgbh/evol07/evo...

I do realize that you folks might not respect the source, as Dr. Eugenie Scott is a real scientist with a real PhD who has dedicated her life to science education.

Not at all like your Ricki Pepin, who wants to charge you $30 for you to learn about her magic diet, which apparently will cure 80% of all diseases.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#27109 Sep 2, 2013
motorvoter wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you that dumb? Isn't this transparent enough for you to pick up on? "Teaching the controversy" etc. is just another method for getting creationism into the classroom.
Why not teach astrology, because lots of people in America believe in astrology?
Creationism is a phony idea, and does not even approach what we call science.
If you believe that humans and dinosaurs co-existed, and that God created light before he created the sun, go ahead. Have fun. But please note that the rational people of the world will resist every step that you take of getting this silliness into the classroom.
Motorvoter you seem to have a mind that not nearly as open as you wish to appear in public.

Who said anything about teaching the origins of creation as science? I personally believe it is better suited to the social studies classes and the study of other cultures. After all, how different cultures and societies view the creation of their universe colors how they view life in general. What was the view of the Shawnee of creation and their position with its scope? How did they reconcile their actions with this belief and their interactions with both nature and others of humankind?

The same can be asked of the Arab culture of the Middle East? Or the Jews of the same region?
What about the beliefs of the ancient Mayans? Or those who inhabit the subcontinent in India?

Basic cultural beliefs help form long lasting cultural mores and values, to ignore these is to view only the politically correct half of the cultures, histories, and societies of our world.

Why would you wish to deprive our children of this knowledge?
the stink in distinction

Girard, OH

#27110 Sep 2, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>

Malone promotes PROFICIENT as the gold standards in our schools despite knowing full well that PROFICIENT equals FAILURE.
Etc, etc, etc.....
It is a great feeling to be recognized as excellent, isn’t it? It just feels wonderful to know that your hard work has paid off, that you have produced something of outstanding quality or superior merit, and that you are remarkably good at what you do, extraordinary, in fact.

Everyone wants to feel as if they produce excellent work. Everyone wants their efforts to merit a trophy, a medal, or an A+ on a report card. But the truth is, not all efforts produce excellent results.

In the 2010-2011 school year, 352 school districts received a ranking of “excellent” or “excellent with distinction”, an increase from 297 districts in 2009-2010 – almost 58% of all districts in Ohio. Is it really possible that a MAJORITY of districts in Ohio are producing students who perform at extraordinary levels? As it turns out, the answer is a simple and resounding NO. Although there are indeed some high-performing districts in Ohio, the standards used to grade districts in this state are shockingly low. The more one analyzes what it takes to be an “excellent” district, the clearer it becomes that something is horribly wrong with Ohio’s standards for excellence.

The growth of excellent / excellent with distinction in Ohio

2002-2003 85 districts
2003-2004 117 districts
2004-2005 111 districts
2005-2006 192 districts
2006-2007 139 districts
2007-2008 226 districts
2008-2009 270 districts
2009-2010 296 districts
2010-2011 352 districts

Do the levels of student performance growth in Ohio warrant a quadrupling of the number of districts in the excellent category over the last decade? Or has the state merely manipulated the accountability system to swell the numbers of “excellent” districts? The answer is likely the latter...

...Districts love to point to their fine report card rating as evidence of high performance. Real estate agents love to tout those excellent ratings as proof that a home in a community is a good value. But at some point, Ohioans may want to take a serious look at what is really happening in their school districts. Parents and taxpayers need to know that “excellent” may not be as advertised. It is a disservice to the general public, to parents, and especially to children when we pretend that more and more districts are doing a stellar job, when they are not...Policymakers must acknowledge that there are serious flaws in an evaluation system that says a majority of districts are doing excellent work when all the data comparing Ohio students nationally and internationally paint a very different picture...

Grading on a Curve (excerpts)
The Illusion of Excellence in Ohio’s Schools
Ann E. Sheldon & Colleen D. Grady
Ohio Association for Gifted Children
Nov. 2011

http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C...
motorvoter

United States

#27111 Sep 2, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I personally believe it is better suited to the social studies classes and the study of other cultures.
I would actually not mind if a few sentences were spent on Christian creationism within the context of discussing Muslim creationism, Roman creationism, Hindu creationism and lots of other creation myths throughout the ages. It certainly is historical fact that people have believed and continue to believe such myths.

But that's not what we're talking about, and you know it. Kelly Kohls and other members of the board were pushing, and perhaps continue to push, the obvious right-wing Christian agenda of supplanting evolution with creationism.
Ask Ron Malone

Piqua, OH

#27112 Sep 2, 2013
motorvoter wrote:
Here's a great article that speaks to the idiocy of "teaching the controversy" - which, as you say, Kelly Kohls apparently refers to as "discussion."
www.teachersdomain.org/assets/wgbh/evol07/evo...
I do realize that you folks might not respect the source, as Dr. Eugenie Scott is a real scientist with a real PhD who has dedicated her life to science education.
Not at all like your Ricki Pepin, who wants to charge you $30 for you to learn about her magic diet, which apparently will cure 80% of all diseases.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
--Charles Darwin--

Time to change the subject from Ricki Pepin, Kelly Kohls, and real scientists. Time to ask Ron Malone WHY he is running for school board, now that his "platform of challenging Kelly Kohls" has dropped him to the bottom of the voter's list?

Learning to accept and adapt to change is the skill of a lifetime!
Should we allow Mr. Malone, who has 40 years PAST experience as a professional educator (in his own time) to keep our kids 21st centrury education "left behind" his unchanging belief that we should re-instate union first business as usual?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 9 min Canton 31,019
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr WARRIOR 19,210
This is your lucky Monday! 13 hr masterofconcretep... 4
Charter school complaints prompt wider probe 20 hr Fan of Leon The Man 2
Looking for Prentice Richardson (Aka Buddy) (Apr '12) Tue hitchiker 7
Concealed carry in Boro's schools - not a matte... (Jul '13) Tue last measure 69
Community Keeps Calm Despite Questions About Wa... Tue Fan of Leon The Man 1
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro