Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,562

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Anonymous

Dayton, OH

#26787 Aug 23, 2013
un voter i agree with your thoughts
rebuttal

Girard, OH

#26788 Aug 23, 2013
Time For A Change wrote:
<quoted text>
Examples:
1. Will save the district taxpayer dollars by keeping science in science class;
2. A new board majority that can be collaborative instead of divisive;
3. A new board majority that is not extremist;
4. A new board majority that is not focused on their political career and business ventures, eliminating a conflict of interest;
5. A new board majority that will understand that there are many religions within our community, not just one;
6. Education experience; and
7. Principles(PALS) matter
Tired of being in the national news and at risk of a costly lawsuit (one that has lost time and time again in the courts). Springboro has approximately 20 churches, we have only ONE public high school. We are Springboro High School, not Springboro Evangelical Christian League of the South Patriot High School.
1. I'll make you a deal. No "God" in science classed so long as liberal educators agree to remove their agenda of man-made global warming from science classes.

2. Divisive? Hardly. A divisive majority wouldn't have accomplished much at all, especially the following:

$1.1 million for an 11 additional new buses bought 10 last year.
$1.5 million in computers, wifi, backbone, which = 350 laptops and 1,000 computers
$3.7 million in capital improvements
$2.4 million in text books and new curriculum and text book adoptions

$8.7 million in total in the forecast through 2017.

3. Remenber the political spectrum runs in BOTH directions. Both Malone and Stuckey are professed union liberals who are capable of doing a lot of damage via taking needed resources away from our children and putting into the union's collective pocket.

4. Wow where in the land of hypocrisy do I start? Anderson, Colston and Thomsen used their board seats for their own business and professional self interests.

5. OK I'll give you this one.

6. The primary responsibility of boards of education is to manage to BUSINESS AFFAIRS of school districts. Our country has largely been built around excellent teachers. But frankly an educators place is not in the board room. It is in the classroom.

7. Principles matter! You bet they do! This coming Monday when high school students meet their new principal for the 1st time, they'll see she has a higher standard of principles than her predecessor!

National news? Liberal Huffington Post doesn't count as national news!
A Riddle to Ponder

Piqua, OH

#26789 Aug 23, 2013
What's the difference between a Liberal Hypocrite in Politics and a Conservative Hypocrite in Politics?

Just like a coin has two sides, both are of equal value; each one presenting a different picture, depending upon which side is facing you.
Keep It Simple

Piqua, OH

#26790 Aug 23, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
The challenge facing us today allows us to see the full scope of opportunities that lie ahead. Whether we are able to grasp those opportunities or not is yet to be seen.
If we fail to prepare to succeed in a highly competitive, knowledge based, technology driven global economy, we can easily expect a long term decline in our collective earning power. Without grabbing onto opportunities before us today, we will see an acceleration of that decline until we join the ranks of the second tier powers.
To avoid that outcome our entire population needs to raise the level of real accomplishment. This can only be done by eschewing the failed policies of the past which treat education like a candy league soccer tournament, where everyone gets a trophy for participation so no one's feelings are hurt.
We need to accomplish this within the constraints of the budgets we currently enjoy. Attempting to concentrate our efforts on raising more money rather than the level of education leaves us exactly where we started, advancing our children's education no where.
It therefore becomes imperative that we redesign how we deliver our knowledge to our charges so that we may squeeze the maximum utility from each education dollar we spend.
The clock is ticking, our children are counting on us, and we simply do not have a choice.
We must either address the future or be swallowed by the past.
Sounds Good to Me! One step at a time, one step at a time, that's all we can do!

Instead of thinking about how I can't possibly do something I want to do, I'll just start doing what I can and see where it leads!

First Step -- Can you take Me to Your Leader?

Even if your are on the Right Track, you will get run over if you don't keep moving. The clock is ticking.
yes man

Piqua, OH

#26791 Aug 23, 2013
On the face of Todd Petrey exists two mouths, each of which speaks and repeats the agenda of the person directly in front of it.
Great News

Piqua, OH

#26792 Aug 23, 2013
Uno Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's all stay focused on the Big Issues to be decided upon during the November 2013 school board election and much needed renewal levy! As for me and my household of voters we will continue in the direction of opportunity to vote for school board candidates who support our winning agenda of Children's First Budget and Reduced Renewal levy for Springboro families.
Our Springboro Board of Education members are due our Thanks and Appreciation for all their hard work and personal sacrifices of their time required in service to our schools and community during this difficult contract negotiation season.
Thank You, Kelly Kohls, Jim Rigano, David Petroni, Don Miller, and Wendy Kull.
If you haven't seen the August 22 Springboro Star Press, then it is certainly worthy of your attention to read the article written by our school superintendent, Todd Petrey.
I can't imagine anyone reading this warmly extended "Welcome back to Springboro Schools 2013-2014" without experiencing a renewed sense of resolve to work together as a community, leaving behind the failed practices of the past, and moving away from conflict and division, together in the direction of opportunity for a better New school year than ever before! Thank You, Mr. Petrey, and All Good Things are wished for you and your staff!

Mr. Petrey comments, "In Springboro, we hold both the best traditions of the past and the brightest promises for the future. Long held traditons provide the foundation for our students who achieve in academics, the arts and athletics. Today these traditions merge with the expectations of a changing world."

"Behind us is our record-- Springboro Schools perform well. Our schools repeatedly achieve the state's highest ratings. Common Core curriculum and we adopt new teacher and principal evaluation systems, new testing, standards and technology, Springboro is poised to set the bar. Our core business is excellence in teaching, learning and leading. We strive to be a little better today than we were yesterday as we prepare our students for tomorrow."

"Our goal for 2013-2014 is to build on this success and find innovative ways to meet state and federal mandates, provide the resurces our students need, and maintain a balanced budget."

"A lot has been said--and a lot will be said--about our schools. Please stay informed and involved. Bookmark and visit our website, subscribe for district E-Communications, watch our new YouTube video series this year and follow us on the district's social media."
-Springboro Star Press-
More Great News

Piqua, OH

#26793 Aug 23, 2013
In the direction of unity…..
With the first day of school upon us in late August, we enter into the comfortable routines of a new school year. Each year begins with the hope and prayer of a fresh beginning on both sides of the fence, teachers praying for well-behaved students and children fervently praying for “nice” teachers.
The new year also brings with it new employment contracts with our support staff and our teachers. Combine that with the technology plan being assembled and implemented, new buses for our children’s safety, a sustainable facilities maintenance plan, a tax break for our taxpayers, and our district is in an entirely different situation from recent years when wave after wave of levy campaigns sought to raise taxes.
Circumstances may change; however, if we maintain our fiscal conservative spending patterns and husband our resources wisely, no new taxes are projected.
My place at the table is to represent the community—the taxpayer, the landowner, the voter. My fiduciary duty is also to this institution. It is important to remember I represent the voice of those who pay for our local schools. Tonight, we step forward for our teachers and our community. In doing so, we are demonstrating that as our voices come together we can write a single, better, unified story. It is not a story of the past, always disregarding the needs of the district. It is not a story of teachers and staff holding out for more. It is not a story of higher taxes (in fact, just the opposite). This is a story where everyone wins.
Although we occasionally may disagree with the means to an end, the final goal is the same for all involved: a better education for our children.
Through Children First Budgeting, zero based budgets, sound leadership, plans that prioritize educational needs, infrastructure and our staff, it is possible and now proven that we can live within our means. These phrases imply debt or sacrifice, but that is not the case. Not only have we proven that we can live within our means, but now every stakeholder in this district—our students and families, our staff and teachers, and our taxpayers–will benefit from this board’s leadership.
First, our students benefit as we direct funds to textbooks, curriculum, new buses, technology, and we dedicate attention to supports for college and career—STEM, PSEO, AP courses and more.
I have stated in that past and it is worth repeating, that it is impossible to educate a child without skilled teachers and staff and without giving them the tools to be successful. With these new contract agreements, every teacher, every staff member, every employee, every custodian, and every bus driver of the Springboro Community City Schools will be paid more. They will be rewarded for their skills and commitment to our schools and our children.
........Congratulations to our board, to our central office staff, to our teachers and students, and to our community. All sides were heard – and the outcome is fair to all sides. All have gained ground. And that success can only continue if we act in good faith to work together to put Children First.
http://educatespringboro.org/2013/07/16/in-th...
More Great News

Piqua, OH

#26794 Aug 23, 2013
In great appreciaiton of our Springboro Schools Board of Education representatives for all that you do for our school community, Springboro families, and community of taxpaying homeowners!
Children's First Budget Works on the right side for Everyone!
serious deja vu

Girard, OH

#26795 Aug 24, 2013
yes man wrote:
On the face of Todd Petrey exists two mouths, each of which speaks and repeats the agenda of the person directly in front of it.
I agree.

Hey...Wait!....That's funny!.... I think I've seen this posted somewhere before.
Oh yeah! I have! It's because it was I that originally posted it!

It's good to know Petrey's ongoing masquerade isn't being lost on others in this community.
Did You Know

Piqua, OH

#26796 Aug 24, 2013
Pinhead alert wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Beck, wonderful that he did het help from affirmative action:
"Beck briefly attempted to begin his higher education as an Ivy League student at Yale University by enrolling within a special affirmative action program for non-traditional students. Beck enrolled for only one course in "Early Christology" before quitting his studies at Yale."
Where's all the people who call out the hypocrites?
Did you know that Mr. Beck is of the Morman religion;
and that the Mormon religion has it's own bible, which is inspired by their leader?

The Holy Bible is the only book of life that is inspired by the One True God, Our Heavenly Father.

The Holy Bible teaches God' Laws for all man-kind.

The United States Constitution teaches man-made laws.

Our government schools are building a curriculum focused on the success of each student well beyond high school graduation. As our government schools implement the Common Core Curriculum, we are striving to support our teachers and staff with the technology, curriculum, materials and professional development they need for innovative instruction.

Our homes and churches are building a value system, based on individual family beliefs, as our foundation for teaching our family religious befliefs to our own children, for eternity.
Ingenuity

Piqua, OH

#26797 Aug 24, 2013
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." -General George S. Patton
Big Deal For All

Piqua, OH

#26798 Aug 24, 2013
rebuttal wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I'll make you a deal. No "God" in science classed so long as liberal educators agree to remove their agenda of man-made global warming from science classes.
2. Divisive? Hardly. A divisive majority wouldn't have accomplished much at all, especially the following:
$1.1 million for an 11 additional new buses bought 10 last year.
$1.5 million in computers, wifi, backbone, which = 350 laptops and 1,000 computers
$3.7 million in capital improvements
$2.4 million in text books and new curriculum and text book adoptions
$8.7 million in total in the forecast through 2017.
3. Remenber the political spectrum runs in BOTH directions. Both Malone and Stuckey are professed union liberals who are capable of doing a lot of damage via taking needed resources away from our children and putting into the union's collective pocket.
4. Wow where in the land of hypocrisy do I start? Anderson, Colston and Thomsen used their board seats for their own business and professional self interests.
5. OK I'll give you this one.
6. The primary responsibility of boards of education is to manage to BUSINESS AFFAIRS of school districts. Our country has largely been built around excellent teachers. But frankly an educators place is not in the board room. It is in the classroom.
7. Principles matter! You bet they do! This coming Monday when high school students meet their new principal for the 1st time, they'll see she has a higher standard of principles than her predecessor!
National news? Liberal Huffington Post doesn't count as national news!
"We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies; it is the first law of nature."
(Voltaire)

'l
leave it in the church

Girard, OH

#26799 Aug 24, 2013
Did You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know that Mr. Beck is of the Morman religion;
and that the Mormon religion has it's own bible, which is inspired by their leader?
The Holy Bible is the only book of life that is inspired by the One True God, Our Heavenly Father.
The Holy Bible teaches God' Laws for all man-kind.
What an inbelievable bigot you are. You do realize America's public schools teach students who are not only Christian but also Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist among numerous others. Obviously you're much too high and mighty to take into consideration the almost twelve percent of America that is either agnostic or has made conscious decisions that God doesn't exist. I dare you to read your bigoted post out loud at next week's board meeting.
New era Same story

Girard, OH

#26800 Aug 24, 2013
Big Deal For All wrote:
<quoted text>
"We are all full of weakness and errors; let us mutually pardon each other our follies; it is the first law of nature."
(Voltaire)
'l
"Of all religions, the Christian of course inspire the most tolerance, but until now Christians have been the most intolerant of all men."

-Voltaire
Meet the BOE Candidates

Piqua, OH

#26801 Aug 24, 2013
Lerxst- wrote:
The bottom line is that the voter is going to have to wade through all the bull and figure out which side they believe. At this point, as far as the Malone/Babb/Stuckey contingent is concerned, all I have heard is they are running and they are "for the children." Well, aren't we all "for the children?" That tells me nothing. Tell me why I should vote for them. What will they do that the current board has not that is in the best interest of the children. I hope the answer is not to simply throw more money at what ever perceived problem exists. We've been there and done that.
As for the current board they have a record. Not perfect but, on balance from where I sit, it looks pretty good compared to when they took the reins. Give me a reason to vote for Malone/Babb/Stuckey, not a reason to vote against the current board.
As you decide I would encourage all of you to not rely on the noisy minority of parents who have resorted to personal attacks on the current board; outright misrepresentation about what the board has/is doing; and worse, are completely clueless about the financial state of the current school system. In the past they told us to pass levy after levy for fear that doom, gloom, chaos and utter panic would set upon us. Well, still waiting for it. They have their side of the story and I respect their desire to do what they think is the right thing. I simply question their motives and their knowledge of the current state of financial affairs and what it takes to do better.
Doing the research to make informed decisions requires work, but also comes with some risk. Look at Doug Weideman's posts. He clearly comes to the table prepared with numbers. What does he get in return? Crackpots who feels the need to publish his address and plane registrations. This tells me some people are not interest in the facts, so there will be no changing their minds whatsoever. The problem with them is they negate the informed persons vote.
If you don't like the current board…fine. At least make an informed decision…not one based on pure emotion. The kids of this community deserve as much.
Springboro Commuity Schools Board ofEducation candidates Dr.Ron Malone, David Stuckey and Charles Anderson have scheduled an organizational campaign meeting Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 3:00 p.m. at Clearcreek Park in Springboro. The purpose of the meeting is to give the public an opportunity to meet the candidates, hear their educational philosophies, and if interested, sign up for various activities associated with the campaign.
bombs away

Dayton, OH

#26802 Aug 24, 2013
Meet the BOE Candidates wrote:
<quoted text>
Springboro Commuity Schools Board ofEducation candidates Dr.Ron Malone, David Stuckey and Charles Anderson have scheduled an organizational campaign meeting Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 3:00 p.m. at Clearcreek Park in Springboro. The purpose of the meeting is to give the public an opportunity to meet the candidates, hear their educational philosophies, and if interested, sign up for various activities associated with the campaign.
what are the coordinates....latitude and longitude
Update

Piqua, OH

#26803 Aug 24, 2013
New era Same story wrote:
<quoted text>
"Of all religions, the Christian of course inspire the most tolerance, but until now Christians have been the most intolerant of all men."
-Voltaire
...however, since 1983, in the State of Ohio's Public Schools,
the false gods of unionism have earned the red ribbon salute for being the very most intolerant of any change in their rigid, oppressive rules of religiously collective bargaining rights, which are all wrong for our children's future.

There is nothing that beats a progressive villain better than giving people the freedom of choice. Progressives HATE choice just like the socialist/communist hates capitalism. Choice destroys their order of tyranny!
Ask Ron Malone

Piqua, OH

#26804 Aug 24, 2013
Meet the BOE Candidates wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: Dr. Malone, What do you think of the school board's direction?
Answer: The major concern I have with decisions being made out there is that the major emphasis seems to be on the physical part of education.
Comments from Springboro Parents: With which part of education do you have a major concern, Dr. Malone? Would it be one of these
NOW MET NEEDS that are IN the current budget through 2017:
-$1.1 million for an 11 additonal new buses (bought 10 last year)
-$1.5 million in computers, wifi, backbone, which equals 350 laptops and 1,000 computers
-$3.7 million in capital improvements
-2.4 million in test books and new curriculum and text book adoptions
$8.7 million in total in the forecast through 2017!
Stay Focused

Piqua, OH

#26805 Aug 24, 2013
The OEA members/union activists are some of the worst people we will ever have to deal with as to radical social behavior; because to the OEA radicals they are at war with the taxpayers.
They have the destruction of America in their minds and they are terrible people because their ideology makes them corrosive. They openly use children to execute their maniacal plans for social progressive changes at the expense of society, and this defines their essence. Wars are won by taking away from the other side the will to continue fighting. The OEA attacks them directly hoping to rob them of their will to stand opposed to the union’s progressive agenda.
There is NO reasoning with the Springobro Education Association members, the SURE group, nor the Neighbors for Springboro Schools. They are angry, hostile, mean-spirited, bitter, and totally without gratitude and appreciation of the simple joys of home, family, faith, and love; and care only for the collective forced investment of other's labor, which the SEA feels their dollar "VALUE" is greater than all.
As we have seen recently when the contract settlement gave the SEA all they said they wanted from taxpayers; still they greedily protested "give us more; we don't want increased pay; we just want it all and we demand the board to PAY it all to the SEA, because Ron Malone says so..."There needs to be a re-emphasis on the VALUE of the educator."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Got Kindness

Piqua, OH

#26806 Aug 24, 2013
leave it in the church wrote:
<quoted text>
What an inbelievable bigot you are. You do realize America's public schools teach students who are not only Christian but also Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist among numerous others. Obviously you're much too high and mighty to take into consideration the almost twelve percent of America that is either agnostic or has made conscious decisions that God doesn't exist. I dare you to read your bigoted post out loud at next week's board meeting.
ooops! somebody forgot Principal Ron's Principles of the Kindness Project! Not to worry -- you are forgiven!'Love Ya!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kirstie Zontini, Erica's Channel 7 weather repl... (Dec '13) 33 min Holy One 20
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 15 hr DoNotUnderstandMo... 19,576
4 hour CCW-class-cut is nuts! 19 hr Gun Nut 1
Regarding piles-of-trash memorial whining shrines: 19 hr Former Cop 1
Riot at Dayton Mall Wal-Mart on Xmas Eve ... Wh... Sat The New Cool Warrior 3
donnie burns outlaws mc (Feb '12) Fri brownkr38 6
Jerkwad Jabbar-shooting details emerge: Dec 26 bite me 8
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro