Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,309)

Showing posts 26,161 - 26,180 of30,606
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
back to WHAT

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26642
Aug 16, 2013
 
Waste Watchers wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether liberal or conservative, and no matter of which religious belief, or none at all, Springboro taxpayers are U-N-I-T-E-D
in this O-N-E thing. No more Policy changes including these controversial issues; that only serve up fuel to the fire of the SEA war of words against taxpayers.
For the sake of good neighbor policy, the school board policy committee should review ALL controversial subject that are taught at taxpayers expense (including religion, sex, drugs, and rock and roll!) and hand these teachings back to the parents in the home.
Imagine all that money that could be used to employ experienced MATH teachers; possibly bringing those student math scores ABOVE "just proficient."

Springboro Parents need to Educate themselves to know the difference between Education for Life (parental/home responsibility) and government schooling of OEA unionism (which is idoctrination to pass the Ohio graduation tests).
Public schools Union masters will grip and complain that "the home just won't do" and taxpayers should just take a look around the cess pool that our society is sinking into and accept the FACTS that the government schooling for sex and drugs isn't doing such a good job, either. Why waste your Money?
I don't disagree with you. However regarding the Confederate flag episode, members of this community and most certainly the media were clueless in ascertaining Sonny's point. The hypocrisy in all of this is many choose to view a 150 year old flag as a "symbol of racism", yet that evening they were completely ignorant to the political symbolism they wore on their bodies.
Another View

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26643
Aug 16, 2013
 

Judged:

7

6

6

back to WHAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't disagree with you. However regarding the Confederate flag episode, members of this community and most certainly the media were clueless in ascertaining Sonny's point. The hypocrisy in all of this is many choose to view a 150 year old flag as a "symbol of racism", yet that evening they were completely ignorant to the political symbolism they wore on their bodies.
"So divinely is the world organized that everyone of us, in our place and time, is in balance with everything else."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The way I see it, Sonny (a Springboro parent) simply got caught up in the hype of the media circus that our SURE Parents' Red Ribbon "Teachers Are Victims" Project had been whipping up in the press for some time!

Unfortunately, those of us attending the business meetings to learn how the BOE was "conducting our business of education with our school tax dollars" were captive audiences in this pre-arranged drama for SURE union propaganda. At every meeting we heard over and over how a few parents WANTED the board to do OUR school "business" their way; and these parents were allowed to continue going "way off track" with their bullying demands, which finally led to ONE parent, using her privilege to participate in BOE meeting, to actually tell an elected official to resign!
Now, everyone who wanted to perform in front of the TV news camera got equal time to do so; exercising their rights to free speech!
God Bless America! But, it is time to move on to higher ground,
in search of exercising the rights of all to behave toward one another with "common decency" in all that we do in our schools and community. Everybody got what we were all "fighting" against one another for -- Teachers Got Pay Raises -- Taxpayers got reduction is levy cost! So what's Not to be Thankful for in that responsible leadership of our Springboro Board of Education!
The way I see it, we have come to a fork in the road in November
-- Why would any Parent NOT choose moving ahead in the direction of financial sustainability? Isn't this something for which WE can all unite ourselves to Rally for our Children First?
Some Answers

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26644
Aug 16, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Question wrote:
<quoted text>
What about classes that too many enroll in - say for example 35 people want AP calculus - are they going to make a class with that many students or are they going to have two classes with low class sizes? I'm sure the board would argue for the single class but what is best for the students? Would they turn some students away because they cant fit into one class?
There is some insight into your questions (for parents to learn more about our students' quality classroom education, with a union teacher in every classroom) in the very lengthy SEA contract which the BOE has just recently accepted. This is on the school website (and quite boring to read) but the union's demands on class size may be included--and it isn't that the Administration would turn a child out of the class; but the union contract MAY be the villian here. Smaller class sizes have not proven to be effective in student performance; but keep in mind that it's all about the money for the SEA; and hiring MORE teachers is the way that the SEA has of collecting more big cost union dues; so parents will have to stay engaged in our students high school courses and make sure that our students do not become victims of their union teachers. Most parents feel more confident that the leadership
of the newly -hired high school principal will put our students best interest first; in contrast to Dr. Malone whose best interest was always "hiring more highly-paid union teachers first" so that the SEA's treasure chest would swell with big union dues.
Another question: Do we know how much of our teachers' salaries are taken from them and paid into the Union dues, just so that the teachers are allowed to work in Mr. Maney's Springboro Education Association? This is a subject of interest to many.
Seeing The Real Ron

Marion, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26645
Aug 16, 2013
 

Judged:

6

3

2

Question wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never said any such thing. I don't believe any failure is the students doing - although I will say that parents are to blame for a lot! As for the administration - yes, what is our current board doing about hiring more AP teachers? From the last board meeting, it sounded like the board hated the idea of hiring cheep aides that were REQUIRED by law to hire. What do you think they are going to do if the suggestion is made to hire more teachers to teach AP classes that will most likely not be filled to capacity???
Also, please respond to the questions originally asked, why is the school district removing AP classes? Could it be that your board is the cause of overall reduced AP enrollment because they are cutting the AP classes? Is your daughter happy that they removed AP art history? What other AP classes could be on the chopping block because of low enrollment? What about classes that too many enroll in - say for example 35 people want AP calculus - are they going to make a class with that many students or are they going to have two classes with low class sizes? I'm sure the board would argue for the single class but what is best for the students? Would they turn some students away because they cant fit into one class?
Your blaming one individual for what is going on in Springboro is ridiculous when there are five board members who are controlling the purse strings which have been tightening around everything. The students are the ones that are seeing the results of this. Only time will tell if their "changes" are positive for the students.
All of your posts contain a tone that denigrates and blames the children for buying into your culture of low expectations and fun. Not telling the parents the truth about the true rigor of your course of study was no one's choice but your own. Presenting proficient in a light that hid the abject failure it masked with positive sounding words was once again solely your decision. Attempting to now to blame parents for the curriculum you dumbed down is a new low.
It will take years to rectify the damage you have done and rebuild our curriculum so that we will have enough children prepared to take those advanced classes. This process must begin before they are seniors in high school as you well know.
Reallocating resources from your fun curriculum to one that better prepares our students is the first step. Creating a culture where students embrace real excellence and the work it entails to achieve will move our entire school system in the right direction.
Further blaming the school board for the decisions that Warren County Educational Service Centers have noted since 2008 that have resulted in a continual degradation of our curriculum reveals more about your character or lack thereof than anyone elses.
the way i see it

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26646
Aug 17, 2013
 

Judged:

5

5

5

Another View wrote:
<quoted text>
"So divinely is the world organized that everyone of us, in our place and time, is in balance with everything else."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The way I see it, Sonny (a Springboro parent) simply got caught up in the hype of the media circus that our SURE Parents' Red Ribbon "Teachers Are Victims" Project had been whipping up in the press for some time!
Unfortunately, those of us attending the business meetings to learn how the BOE was "conducting our business of education with our school tax dollars" were captive audiences in this pre-arranged drama for SURE union propaganda. At every meeting we heard over and over how a few parents WANTED the board to do OUR school "business" their way; and these parents were allowed to continue going "way off track" with their bullying demands, which finally led to ONE parent, using her privilege to participate in BOE meeting, to actually tell an elected official to resign!
Now, everyone who wanted to perform in front of the TV news camera got equal time to do so; exercising their rights to free speech!
God Bless America! But, it is time to move on to higher ground,
in search of exercising the rights of all to behave toward one another with "common decency" in all that we do in our schools and community. Everybody got what we were all "fighting" against one another for -- Teachers Got Pay Raises -- Taxpayers got reduction is levy cost! So what's Not to be Thankful for in that responsible leadership of our Springboro Board of Education!
The way I see it, we have come to a fork in the road in November
-- Why would any Parent NOT choose moving ahead in the direction of financial sustainability? Isn't this something for which WE can all unite ourselves to Rally for our Children First?
I suggest you seek personal intervention regarding correct use of parentheses and CAPS. It is extremely annoying.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26647
Aug 17, 2013
 
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never said any such thing. I don't believe any failure is the students doing - although I will say that parents are to blame for a lot! As for the administration - yes, what is our current board doing about hiring more AP teachers? From the last board meeting, it sounded like the board hated the idea of hiring cheep aides that were REQUIRED by law to hire. What do you think they are going to do if the suggestion is made to hire more teachers to teach AP classes that will most likely not be filled to capacity???
Also, please respond to the questions originally asked, why is the school district removing AP classes? Could it be that your board is the cause of overall reduced AP enrollment because they are cutting the AP classes? Is your daughter happy that they removed AP art history? What other AP classes could be on the chopping block because of low enrollment? What about classes that too many enroll in - say for example 35 people want AP calculus - are they going to make a class with that many students or are they going to have two classes with low class sizes? I'm sure the board would argue for the single class but what is best for the students? Would they turn some students away because they cant fit into one class?
Your blaming one individual for what is going on in Springboro is ridiculous when there are five board members who are controlling the purse strings which have been tightening around everything. The students are the ones that are seeing the results of this. Only time will tell if their "changes" are positive for the students.
Point number one regarding hiring "cheap" teacher aides, I would not qualify $250,000 as cheap. As I heard the board respond, they seemed a bit taken aback by a last second request for that kind of money two weeks before school starts. I would have thought that we might have known beforehand roughly how many teacher aides we would require way before that moment. The board rightly decided to study the issue further, as well they should, to ascertain that is the number required and that is the best way to handle the situation at hand. Making knee jerk decisions without the benefit of proper vetting rarely gets us where we want to go efficiently or financially responsibly.

The board has been looking to upgrade our program of studies to increase the higher level classes since they came on board in January 2012. When Mr. Malone presented his plan for a new program of studies rather than addressing A/P classes he offered such gems as a guitar class and a current events class. When the board looked into our lack of participation in the Post Secondary Education Options (PSEO) Mr. Malone argued that there was no need for children to look outside of our campus for advanced options. Mr. Malone made calculated moves to provide deterrents to student considering the PSEO program. The most glaring would be the reduction of credit awarded to the final grade attained in a PSEO class. An A in a PSEO class would only count for 95%, while an A in an A/P class at his high school would garner the recipient 110%. All of these grades would greatly effect the student's GPA and class standing outcomes that figure into scholarship opportunities and college applications to various universities.

Some classes will get dropped in the natural progression of things as curriculum is constantly evaluated for needs and demands. One class for instance has 4 children signed up for its knowledge. While the board changed art to reflect student demand, it added an A/P Statistics class and invested in new A/P textbooks.

Mr. Malone was in charge for 12 years, he was the man, he was the leadership. He chose to lead the dumbing down of the curriculum in pursuit of euphemistic honors.

Mr. Malone is no Jamie Escalante fighting for the enrichment of his charges.

In 12 years Mr. Malone made a great difference in the wrong direction.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26648
Aug 17, 2013
 
Page 10 From the 2012 report by the Warren County Educational Service Center.

Mr. Malone had been reviewed numerous times previously and made aware of his program of studies shortcomings.

Why did Mr. Malone choose not to pursue the direction and recommendations provided for the benefit of the children?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxs0_xA64y_HS...

"SHS still offers general level classes (Algebra 1A and !B, physical science, US HIstory, and World History) Thus, not all students experience a college preparatory curriculum. Documents provided to the TAV Team indicate that contrary to the High Schools That Work (HSTW) philosophy, SHS believes that offering low level courses is in the best interest of students. THIS BELIEF, however, WAS NOT SUBSTANTIATED BY RESEARCH OR DATA."

Dumbing down the curriculum is apparently not in the best interest of the student.

Nothing substantiates this belief in either research or data.

Yet, that was the path Mr. Malone chose for your children.

These are not my conclusions, but the conclusions of professional educators hired by the school district to audit our program of studies.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26649
Aug 17, 2013
 
Raising the level of expectations, developing a culture that embraces excellence, and that expects nothing less than our best efforts is what I seek.

Mr. Malone chose a different path.

Mr. Malone's peers from the Warren County Educational Service Center that audited his program of studies every two years had this to say:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxs0_xA64y_HS...

Paragraph 4

"Although SHS offers numerous AP courses and PSEO options, only 20% of the students report they attempted to earn college credit during high school. This is a DECREASE of 43% from 2008, and 60% below the High Schools That Work goal."

Who is responsible for an educational culture that moves backwards instead of reaching for higher ground?

The principal, Mr. Malone.
lol

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26650
Aug 17, 2013
 

Judged:

7

6

6

the way i see it wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you seek personal intervention regarding correct use of parentheses and CAPS. It is extremely annoying.
.... is there a Unionism class for that?
Families for S-U-R-E are on the waiting list to sign up.
November Avenger

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26651
Aug 17, 2013
 

Judged:

5

5

5

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
Raising the level of expectations, developing a culture that embraces excellence, and that expects nothing less than our best efforts is what I seek.

Mr. Malone chose a different path.

Mr. Malone's peers from the Warren County Educational Service Center that audited his program of studies every two years had this to say:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxs0_xA64y_HS...

Paragraph 4

"Although SHS offers numerous AP courses and PSEO options, only 20% of the students report they attempted to earn college credit during high school. This is a DECREASE of 43% from 2008, and 60% below the High Schools That Work goal."

Who is responsible for an educational culture that moves backwards instead of reaching for higher ground?

The principal, Mr. Malone.
To think that only yesterday
'Boro blue & white, and "gay"
Kids not looking forward to the retirement of
Dr. Malone 'cause he was overpaid.

Melodrama 'round the town
But reality comes around
Beloved, yes, but do the students know of
Parents taxed to little pieces?

Now Malone's going to run for BOE
Oh, Heaven, help us!
If he really cares for our kids
Why won't he really retire?

In this NFSS hour of 'need'
We truly are indeed
Malone again, naturally
Survey Says

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26652
Aug 17, 2013
 

Judged:

6

6

5

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
Raising the level of expectations, developing a culture that embraces excellence, and that expects nothing less than our best efforts is what I seek.
Mr. Malone chose a different path.
Mr. Malone's peers from the Warren County Educational Service Center that audited his program of studies every two years had this to say:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxs0_xA64y_HS...
Paragraph 4
"Although SHS offers numerous AP courses and PSEO options, only 20% of the students report they attempted to earn college credit during high school. This is a DECREASE of 43% from 2008, and 60% below the High Schools That Work goal."
Who is responsible for an educational culture that moves backwards instead of reaching for higher ground?
The principal, Mr. Malone.
Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.-Frederick Douglass

On what higher ground does the Pride Survey of the Warren County Task Force inspire our students and their parents. Isn't this intrusive interrogation of the school government of our students mind, body, and spirit an injustice to the privacy of our Springboro Families? Why would any parent with civic pride in ourselves submit to this government profiling of down in the gutter issues of alcohol, drugs, and gambling, and thoughts of getting out of it all through pondering suicide? Aren't educators supposed to inspire "higher expectations" of student behavior; and then motivate our students to perform to those "higher expectations?" This Warren County Task Force has no place in our students classrooms; and the Pride Survey should be forced out of our quality schools.
Survey Says

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26653
Aug 17, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Survey Says wrote:
<quoted text>
Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.-Frederick Douglass
On what higher ground does the Pride Survey of the Warren County Task Force inspire our students and their parents. Isn't this intrusive interrogation of the school government of our students mind, body, and spirit an injustice to the privacy of our Springboro Families? Why would any parent with civic pride in ourselves submit to this government profiling of down in the gutter issues of alcohol, drugs, and gambling, and thoughts of getting out of it all through pondering suicide? Aren't educators supposed to inspire "higher expectations" of student behavior; and then motivate our students to perform to those "higher expectations?" This Warren County Task Force has no place in our students classrooms; and the Pride Survey should be forced out of our quality schools.
Don't our "wealthy and affluent" schools of excellence with distinction already employ (on the backs of all Springboro families, including the families on the free lunch program)
a Crisis intervention specialist, Wendy Ford, at an overly-generous salary of $60,000 plus benefits, to do these services on an as needed per student basis, instead of this one size fits all plan ot the Warren County Task force?

Inquiring minds need to look really close at the pride survey group of business associates; it could be that families who will freely give up their students personal data will then qualify their schools to obtain more grant money to provide government schools additonal services that have been identified as "gaps"
Springboro schools. Just more big government intrusion and micro-managing of our physical, mental, and spiritual lives, under the disguise of the government's offer of help us help you....
Answer

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26654
Aug 17, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Who is responsible for an educational culture that moves backwards instead of reaching for higher ground?

The Ohio Education Association (with the blessings of the State Laws of Ohio) whose old outdated 1983 collective bargaining rights to emotionally blackmail taxpayers, holding them hostage over things like with-holding the gift of knowledge, and ruining our future, if their demands of local teachers union pay increases aren't met.

Our has been a high school principal for 13 years was just doing his job as the Ohio School Boards Association indoctrinates all board members and school district leaders to do; and that is to make all decisions in the best interest of increasing union teachers in our classrooms and big increases is pay and benefits to teachers of unionism in our children's classrooms.

Dr. Malone is insanely popular in the Springboro school community as school board candidate who seeks to gain control of the Board of Education, so that he can continue his loyal service of financial profit to the Springboro Education Association.
You betcha

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26655
Aug 17, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Survey Says wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't our "wealthy and affluent" schools of excellence with distinction already employ (on the backs of all Springboro families, including the families on the free lunch program)
a Crisis intervention specialist, Wendy Ford, at an overly-generous salary of $60,000 plus benefits, to do these services on an as needed per student basis, instead of this one size fits all plan ot the Warren County Task force?
Inquiring minds need to look really close at the pride survey group of business associates; it could be that families who will freely give up their students personal data will then qualify their schools to obtain more grant money to provide government schools additonal services that have been identified as "gaps"
Springboro schools. Just more big government intrusion and micro-managing of our physical, mental, and spiritual lives, under the disguise of the government's offer of help us help you....
Can you believe that one section of the Warren County Task Force survey deals with original intent and frequency of the students' gambling games? lol ... recent newspapers have reported that the state's earnings from gambling business (which supposedly will help fund higher education) will be eroded away by the government free support-groups that are now being formed to assist Ohio families to live one day at a time addicted to gambling. Guess we better beef up those free lunch programs and welfare benefits to mama and the kids when daddy takes his paycheck to the gambling house to play responsibly with the kiddies lunch money.
Words of Wisdom

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26656
Aug 17, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

the way i see it wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you seek personal intervention regarding correct use of parentheses and CAPS. It is extremely annoying.
aw, come on now, why "bully" such mean judgment with your war of words?

Does your "religion" teach the words of Matthew 7:3?

"Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye?"
look at college classes

Bellefontaine, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26657
Aug 17, 2013
 
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never said any such thing. I don't believe any failure is the students doing - although I will say that parents are to blame for a lot! As for the administration - yes, what is our current board doing about hiring more AP teachers? From the last board meeting, it sounded like the board hated the idea of hiring cheep aides that were REQUIRED by law to hire. What do you think they are going to do if the suggestion is made to hire more teachers to teach AP classes that will most likely not be filled to capacity???
Also, please respond to the questions originally asked, why is the school district removing AP classes? Could it be that your board is the cause of overall reduced AP enrollment because they are cutting the AP classes? Is your daughter happy that they removed AP art history? What other AP classes could be on the chopping block because of low enrollment? What about classes that too many enroll in - say for example 35 people want AP calculus - are they going to make a class with that many students or are they going to have two classes with low class sizes? I'm sure the board would argue for the single class but what is best for the students? Would they turn some students away because they cant fit into one class?
Your blaming one individual for what is going on in Springboro is ridiculous when there are five board members who are controlling the purse strings which have been tightening around everything. The students are the ones that are seeing the results of this. Only time will tell if their "changes" are positive for the students.
When I went to college the Calculus lecture had over 700 kids.
Reality Bytes

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26658
Aug 18, 2013
 
Really Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
On target...what a useful analogy for a person that routinely threatens to kill people he disagrees with.
Perhaps it isn't that people don't openly want to rebut him, but that they're more concerned he will stalk them and hunt them as prey as he seems to do with all those that disagree with him.
This Weidemann guy should be behind bars and no longer a threat to our community.
how silly you are!

Isn't it true that Becky V of the OEA is the bully in chief of open rebuttal of all rational arguments, stalking, and talking trash against Springboro families; threatening to cause brain drain in our schools and financial ruin to our family homes and businesses; if all school district voters do not comply with the teachers union demands of getting more pay, simply because they teach in our wealthy and affluent 45066 zip code? Isn't it true that Becky of the OEA is handed about $140,000 salary taken from our public school teachers paychecks in union dues; which is then used to fuel the fire of the burning war of words against local school district taxpayers?
Reality Bytes

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26659
Aug 18, 2013
 
According to a statement presented to the Insurance, Commerce and Labor Committee on February 15, 2011……

Let me provide another, broader example. In late October, the 613 school districts submitted their five-year projections to the Ohio Department of Education. The five-year budget projections amounted to a combined deficit in 2015 of more than $7.6 billion. By 2015, compensation costs of teachers, administrators, and staff are projected to swallow 96 percent of all revenue in these districts. So, school districts could devote massive energy to buying cheaper toilet paper, streamlining operations, and reducing other non-compensation costs, but will find themselves nibbling on 4 percent of the remaining revenue.

This means tax increases of nearly $8 billion on homeowners who have seen their homes plummet in value. But, if school districts reduced compensation packages by 10 percent this year year, and limited future increases to the historical inflation rate of 3.2 percent, the $7.6 billion shortfall would become a $1 billion surplus. Again, no program cuts and no layoffs.
That would enable school districts to soften the impact of expected cuts in state aid to education.

Unfortunately, school districts will not be able to make those realignment reductions because of collective bargaining, as the unions will fight to preserve the gains made over the last decade or more by any means necessary, including hanging out to dry those members who must be the sacrificial lambs so compensation cuts can be prevented.

Like the 4 percent nibbling problem above, eliminating the right to strike and binding arbitration are solid steps, but neither will bend the spending curve down. The fact is roughly 33 percent of all government contracts already involve bargaining units prohibited from striking. Since 2000, according to the State Employer Relations Board, Ohio had 10,721 bargained contracts. Of those, 3,487 contracts covered safety units who cannot strike. The leaves 7,234 bargained contracts with strike-eligible units.
Reality Bytes

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26660
Aug 18, 2013
 

Judged:

6

5

5

...and there's more information on why no matter who wins elections, TAXPAYERS DON'T STAND A CHANCE in winning over the oppressive 1983 collective bargaining laws, binding our future education to the lower standards of these laws for public schools that are more than a quarter century old!

In states that permit government workers to collectively bargain, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the average yearly pay for state and local workers is $51,064 and $41,457, respectively. In contrast, in states that prohibit government workers from collectively bargaining, the average yearly pay for state and local workers is $46,025 (11 per cent less) and $32,560 (27 percent less) respectively.
If Ohio paid the 58,000 state workers on average $5,039 less, it would save taxpayers $292,262,000 per year. For local governments, the savings would be even bigger:$5,783,050,000 ($8,897 times 650,000 workers).

Collective bargaining facilitates the explosion of government compensation costs and prohibits government from making the painful, but necessary, decisions to rein in those costs.
Reality Bytes

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26661
Aug 18, 2013
 

Judged:

6

5

5

Education to the OEA is all about the money and who has the power and control.

According to the Ohio Education Association’s (OEA) 2011-2-12 Local Association Membership Enrollment Manual,

Annual OEA dues of active members who are educators (such as classroom teachers, professors, school nurses, pupil personnel workers) shall be .0076 per dollar of the average salary for elementary and secondary classroom teachers In Ohio for the second year prior to the budget year rounded to the nearest dollar. An additional service fee shall be .0010 per dollar of the average salary for elementary and secondary public school classroom teachers in Ohio for the 2009-2010 year rounded to the nearest dollar.

The total dues owed by each full-time teacher in Ohio ranges from $742.00 for teachers in the Western OEA district to $764.50 for teachers in the Central OEA district. That figure includes the OEA dues ($479.00) a service charge ($76.00), the National Education Association dues ($178.00) and the district dues ($9.00 to $31.50).

Because the government labor unions calculate their dues based upon the average salary of members, broad base pay reductions result in a loss of funding that is greater than the losses due to layoffs. For example, the current dues rate of $479.00 translates to an average salary for teacher in Ohio of $63,026.32. If that average salary dropped due to base pay reductions to $62,000, the OEA dues would drop to $471.20 (or $7.80 less) per member. Assuming just 100,000 of the OEA’s 130,000 members are full-time teachers, this reduction would translate into the OEA losing roughly $780,000 per year.

To reach a similar loss of due via layoffs, school districts would need to layoff over 1,600 teachers ($479.00 annual dues x 1,628 lost members
Equals $779,812. From 2001 to 2011, despite educating over 100,000 fewer students, the number of full-time teachers in Ohio only dropped by roughly 6,000 teachers (or less than 600 per year). So, while layoffs may occur in a few school districts across Ohio, the trend does not suggest 1,600 layoffs per year. Thus, it should be no surprise that labor unions will sacrifice a few members to preserve the base pay of the many. It’s all about the money.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 26,161 - 26,180 of30,606
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Springboro Discussions

Search the Springboro Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Me and the Party of Tea 33 min veteran 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Martin L King 17,753
tattoo parlors 5 hr The Duke of Hazard 12
Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) 7 hr Vote out every incumbent 169
What is Aspergers Syndrome? (Sep '11) 7 hr ric99 192
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 21 hr ha ha 25,331
I need a rice cooker and a backpack... Fri CMS 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••