Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31819 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

For the Record

Piqua, OH

#26629 Aug 15, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
I am? Pray tell? I'm not all twisted up and not even sure why this is an issue.
<quoted text>
The bottom line is simple:
If you read closely enough you'll realize we are in agreement. All I said was I don't think it was prudent to get all twisted up over Mr. Weideman's comments calling for a little civility towards Lisa Babb. I'm not a fan of hers, but there is no real reason to get down in the gutter with them. That's all. I think we are on the same side here.:-D
<quoted text>
Agreed, thanks to the good work of Kelly Kohls, Rigano and Petroni.
<quoted text>
And who is going to "pull them from the ballot?" No one is going to pull anyone from a ballot. The best way to beat them is to be positive, point out objective reasons to vote for other candidates, donate to those candidates, volunteer to help those candidates with signs, meetings, fliers, etc. There is no problem, IMHO, to point out the flaws or reasons other candidates should not get your vote, but to simply smear them in personal attacks will never win you an election.
And WHO but those 400 Boro Alumni protesters writing to the DDN "pulled the school board president, Kelly Kohls, off the ballot" for November re-election to continue "the good work of
our children's first budgeting BOE majority?"

Without Kelly Kohls standing with taxpayers at the polls in November, there's not a chance that "being positive" about re-instating Malone is a winning agenda for Springboro parents. Taxpayers remember what happened in March 2012 when the BOE majority "gave in to community wide emotionalism" and "re-instated Ron Malone" and the BOE president proclaimed that NOW we can all get back to "business as usual."
Keeping It Simple

Piqua, OH

#26630 Aug 15, 2013
For the Record wrote:
<quoted text>
And WHO but those 400 Boro Alumni protesters writing to the DDN "pulled the school board president, Kelly Kohls, off the ballot" for November re-election to continue "the good work of
Without Kelly Kohls standing with taxpayers at the polls in November, there's not a chance that "being positive" about re-instating Malone is a winning agenda for Springboro parents. Taxpayers remember what happened in March 2012 when the BOE majority "gave in to community wide emotionalism" and "re-instated Ron Malone" and the BOE president proclaimed that NOW we can all get back to "business as usual."
Bravo! Bravo!

All's Ima Saying is why should taxpayers INVEST our hard earned money into "running a positive campaign to continue the good work of Kohls, Petroni, Rigano, when the good "Sane" Dr. Kohls is not even campaigning for re-election against the "insanely popular" and highly SEA indoctrinated, Dr. Ron Malone?

People in this community should remind themselves that MONEY doesn't grow on those "trees of knowledge" on which government schools are so deeply rooted.

No Renewal Money to fund Dr. Malone's practice of forced unionism.
truth to power

Girard, OH

#26631 Aug 15, 2013
For the Record wrote:
<quoted text>
Regarding Kohls candidacy, Budd and the DDN had their heads shoved up their arses from day one.
For SURE

Piqua, OH

#26632 Aug 15, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
If you read closely enough you'll realize we are in agreement. All I said was I don't think it was prudent to get all twisted up over Mr. Weideman's comments calling for a little civility towards Lisa Babb. I'm not a fan of hers, but there is no real reason to get down in the gutter with them. That's all. I think we are on the same side here.:-D
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
And who is going to "pull them from the ballot?" No one is going to pull anyone from a ballot. The best way to beat them is to be positive, point out objective reasons to vote for other candidates, donate to those candidates, volunteer to help those candidates with signs, meetings, fliers, etc. There is no problem, IMHO, to point out the flaws or reasons other candidates should not get your vote, but to simply smear them in personal attacks will never win you an election.
well, for sure, SOME ONE posted on this blog (several pages back) a fake "press release" forging Kelly Kohls' name stating a mock "concession" ....and even though Kelly Kohls had already pulled petitions with full intent, according to the record, she did not file the petitions to run for re-election as baord representative. So what's up with that? Was Kelly Kohls "threatened" by someone; or was this "identify theft" of her name on this blog enough to intimidate her into "pulling her name
from the ballot? Why should any elected official be subjected to this type of "intent to discredit and distort her good public service to our schools and community?

People in this community should ask ourselves if this is the type of community in which we should so arrogantly boast of Boro
Pride. What kind of neighbors for panther pride are we living among that would treat "one of their own" in such an undermining, deceitful, sleazy and slimy disgusting manner, as Dr. Kelly Kohls has been subjected to in Springboro since she came on board as a watchdog for the taxpayers' money in Janaury 2010?
back to WHAT

Girard, OH

#26633 Aug 15, 2013
Boro1909 wrote:
I love the fact that you right wing whackos are scared SH**LESS that you will lose your majority in the BOE in just a few short months. Trash talk Ron Malone. Trash all the former administrators. It doesn't change the fact that Kelly Kohls is a has-been and the tide is shifting back to a normal, civilized, student-first educational system in Springboro. No more creationism, no more guns, no more strikes, no more booster scams, no more confederate flag waving. Good riddance! Time to turn the page and start a new chapter of excellence with Malone, Stuckey, and Anderson.
Please clarify for us exactly what period of time in recent history before Kohls Petroni & Rigano did Springboro Schools enjoy a "normal, student-first educational system".

Our family has been rooted here for a long time and frankly I'm not recollecting a pre-2010 "normal, student-first educational system".

There are a number of things prior to 2011 my family DOES remember. My family remembers a former superintendent whose name rhymed with "taker" who went out of his way to intimidate district parents with threats of no busing and hyper-inflated pay to play fees, all for the sake of gaining YES votes for levys that WEREN'T NEEDED TO BEGIN WITH !!!! Perhaps this is one of the things you'd like to "shift back" toward? Our family remembers episode after episode and layer upon layer of irresponsible budget management and FORECASTING from the likes of a former treasurer whose surname rhymes with "screwdriver". I'm guessing you're all for a return "back" to this type of irresponsible budget management in the 2014 BOE? Our family remembers this former superintendent (again, whose name rhymes with "taker") regularly use his column in DDN Neighbors as a personal propaganda tool, while a pathetic puppet of a school board turned a collective blind eye. Is this perhaps another aspect of the past you'd like to see Boro schools "shift back" to?

The booster scandal had virtually nothing to do with this BOE. In fact a while after the booster scandal broke, this BOE helped to alleviate impact to the district by expelling certain personel who were linked to booster mishandlings.

I'll take controversy like gun control, conceal and carry in schools, creationism and Sonny Lewis' 1st Amendment right to free speech. I'll take controversy like that all day long every day of the week. Controversy fuels open constructive debate. Open constructive debate inspires progressive ideas for the future. This beats the hell out of the liberal agenda of one-size-fits-all, here it is, if you don't like it, tough, because that's printed in the texbook. So children, if it's in print, you MUST believe it to be true!
Straight to the Point

Piqua, OH

#26634 Aug 15, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Point Taken... but as was proven in January 2012, winning an election for Petroni/Rigano did not WIN a concession from the
failed union school board candidate, Lisa Babb.
Lisa Babb and the PTO gals "occupied" the board room and assumed joint leadership with elected officials, discrediting, distorting, and personally attacking credibility and authority of the BOE majority. It's All About The Money and who has the power and control. No matter which way elections go, if that renewal levy passes, the union forces will gather against the board representatives to claim it all for union beneifts; and in two short years, Mr. Maney will threaten to walk out of our children's classrooms if NEW money isn't demanded on the ballot for union pay increases. Taxpayers never get a break from the old outdated collective bargaining rights of teachers, which are so so wrong for our children's quality classroom education.
Hold On

Piqua, OH

#26635 Aug 15, 2013
back to WHAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Please clarify for us exactly what period of time in recent history before Kohls Petroni & Rigano did Springboro Schools enjoy a "normal, student-first educational system".
Our family has been rooted here for a long time and frankly I'm not recollecting a pre-2010 "normal, student-first educational system".
There are a number of things prior to 2011 my family DOES remember. My family remembers a former superintendent whose name rhymed with "taker" who went out of his way to intimidate district parents with threats of no busing and hyper-inflated pay to play fees, all for the sake of gaining YES votes for levys that WEREN'T NEEDED TO BEGIN WITH !!!! Perhaps this is one of the things you'd like to "shift back" toward? Our family remembers episode after episode and layer upon layer of irresponsible budget management and FORECASTING from the likes of a former treasurer whose surname rhymes with "screwdriver". I'm guessing you're all for a return "back" to this type of irresponsible budget management in the 2014 BOE? Our family remembers this former superintendent (again, whose name rhymes with "taker") regularly use his column in DDN Neighbors as a personal propaganda tool, while a pathetic puppet of a school board turned a collective blind eye. Is this perhaps another aspect of the past you'd like to see Boro schools "shift back" to?
The booster scandal had virtually nothing to do with this BOE. In fact a while after the booster scandal broke, this BOE helped to alleviate impact to the district by expelling certain personel who were linked to booster mishandlings.
I'll take controversy like gun control, conceal and carry in schools, creationism and Sonny Lewis' 1st Amendment right to free speech. I'll take controversy like that all day long every day of the week. Controversy fuels open constructive debate. Open constructive debate inspires progressive ideas for the future. This beats the hell out of the liberal agenda of one-size-fits-all, here it is, if you don't like it, tough, because that's printed in the texbook. So children, if it's in print, you MUST believe it to be true!
Hold on there! Let's not get "taken to the extreme" here in our journey toward "fiscal responsibility."

What's this "creationism and (?)Sonny Lewis' lst Amendment right to free speech all about? What has that got to do with our children's first budget?
Waste Watchers

Piqua, OH

#26636 Aug 15, 2013
back to WHAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether liberal or conservative, and no matter of which religious belief, or none at all, Springboro taxpayers are U-N-I-T-E-D
in this O-N-E thing. No more Policy changes including these controversial issues; that only serve up fuel to the fire of the SEA war of words against taxpayers.

For the sake of good neighbor policy, the school board policy committee should review ALL controversial subject that are taught at taxpayers expense (including religion, sex, drugs, and rock and roll!) and hand these teachings back to the parents in the home.
Imagine all that money that could be used to employ experienced MATH teachers; possibly bringing those student math scores ABOVE "just proficient."

Springboro Parents need to Educate themselves to know the difference between Education for Life (parental/home responsibility) and government schooling of OEA unionism (which is idoctrination to pass the Ohio graduation tests).

Public schools Union masters will grip and complain that "the home just won't do" and taxpayers should just take a look around the cess pool that our society is sinking into and accept the FACTS that the government schooling for sex and drugs isn't doing such a good job, either. Why waste your Money?
No More Malone

Piqua, OH

#26637 Aug 15, 2013
Reject Forced Unionism wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU are wrong, If YOU think your false teachings of Unionism religion are the ONLY rule of authority over Springboro taxpayers MONEY! Forced Unionism is a WASTE of OUR CHILDREN'S School Tax Dollars! Forced Unionism has NO place in our children's classrooms in our successful Springboro schools! Forced unionism is spreading a dome of hostility, greed, suspicion and disrespect of "outsiders and non-union professionals" over our entire community, protesting against all good things that have been accomplished by our BOE majority representatives, doing what's right for our school children's classroom teachers and our taxpaying homeowners. Springboro property owners' rights are continuously violated by the Springboro Education Associationís old outdated collective bargaining laws, giving Springboro Teachers legal rights to emotionally blackmail taxpayers for more taxation on our private properties; or else the teachers will take away our students' RIGHTS (and excitement) of welcoming a new school year of learning, in our excellent schools with highly qualified and well paid classroom teachers. We all remember the excitement of beginning a new school year; but we all wonder WHY Springboro teachers are refusing to accept this great job offer, depriving our children of their "rights."
And speaking of protection.. the only protection the union offers
our good teachers is teachers RIGHTS to continue doing WRONG by joining the Union. Unionism is simply the "state religion" imposed upon a free democracy, taxing the people, but refusing to recognize the people's representatives, as elected officials on the governing body our of local schools.
Currently, we have about 400 Springboro union activists, some of them professionally trained community organizers and blog writers, working with the press toward the political destruction of BOE elected officials, Mrs. Kohls, Mr. Petroni, and Mr.Rigano; fighting for the oppressive political liberty of the Springboro Education Association, and against our children's rights to a quality classroom education within the guidelines of our Children's First budget, which has been UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED by our Board of Education elected officials
(who represent the community as a whole, including the 400 protestors making noise to have it all one way, union first.)
We are hearing the outrage of "unfairness" from the Springboro Education Association, fighting to get more money for doing less work for our children's classroom education. But where is the outrage of "unfairness" to our children? Is there a BOE majority representing our children first who will Stand Up For Kids during these negotiations and demand that Springboro Teachers accept a great employment contract outside joining the union, and with the political liberty of paying no unionism "taxation without representation?"
If Springboro Taxpayers and teachers were free from the enslavement of Springboro Education Associationís "radical rules
of greed" ..... there would be plenty of money to pay our quality teachers increased wages, based on individual work performance and without this great expense and disruption of union collective bargaining "rights" to do wrong for our children's future.
No renewal money for funding Malone's government schooling of unionism. Mr. Maney must stop the SEA vote for revenge against our children's first best interest.
lol

Piqua, OH

#26638 Aug 16, 2013
History wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this article speaks volumes about the type of person Coach Stuckey really is. This shows him to be a poor sport and one who thinks he is owed something just because he is a teacher.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-08-27...
does that man that prints signs think we should give praise and thanksgiving to teacher/coach Stuckey?
Well Known

Chino, CA

#26639 Aug 16, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
does that man that prints signs think we should give praise and thanksgiving to teacher/coach Stuckey?
Pretty interesting that Stuckey's antics are so well known in Chicago!
Question

Piqua, OH

#26640 Aug 16, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Your entire premise is based upon failure of the students rather than the failure of the administration.
"Although SHS offers numerous AP courses and PSEO options, only 20% of the students report they attempted to earn college credit during high school. This is a DECREASE of 43% from 2008, and 60% below the High Schools That Work goal."
I have never said any such thing. I don't believe any failure is the students doing - although I will say that parents are to blame for a lot! As for the administration - yes, what is our current board doing about hiring more AP teachers? From the last board meeting, it sounded like the board hated the idea of hiring cheep aides that were REQUIRED by law to hire. What do you think they are going to do if the suggestion is made to hire more teachers to teach AP classes that will most likely not be filled to capacity???

Also, please respond to the questions originally asked, why is the school district removing AP classes? Could it be that your board is the cause of overall reduced AP enrollment because they are cutting the AP classes? Is your daughter happy that they removed AP art history? What other AP classes could be on the chopping block because of low enrollment? What about classes that too many enroll in - say for example 35 people want AP calculus - are they going to make a class with that many students or are they going to have two classes with low class sizes? I'm sure the board would argue for the single class but what is best for the students? Would they turn some students away because they cant fit into one class?

Your blaming one individual for what is going on in Springboro is ridiculous when there are five board members who are controlling the purse strings which have been tightening around everything. The students are the ones that are seeing the results of this. Only time will tell if their "changes" are positive for the students.
Great News

Piqua, OH

#26641 Aug 16, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never said any such thing. I don't believe any failure is the students doing - although I will say that parents are to blame for a lot! As for the administration - yes, what is our current board doing about hiring more AP teachers? From the last board meeting, it sounded like the board hated the idea of hiring cheep aides that were REQUIRED by law to hire. What do you think they are going to do if the suggestion is made to hire more teachers to teach AP classes that will most likely not be filled to capacity???
Also, please respond to the questions originally asked, why is the school district removing AP classes? Could it be that your board is the cause of overall reduced AP enrollment because they are cutting the AP classes? Is your daughter happy that they removed AP art history? What other AP classes could be on the chopping block because of low enrollment? What about classes that too many enroll in - say for example 35 people want AP calculus - are they going to make a class with that many students or are they going to have two classes with low class sizes? I'm sure the board would argue for the single class but what is best for the students? Would they turn some students away because they cant fit into one class?
Your blaming one individual for what is going on in Springboro is ridiculous when there are five board members who are controlling the purse strings which have been tightening around everything. The students are the ones that are seeing the results of this. Only time will tell if their "changes" are positive for the students.
Special Thanks are due our FIVE board members, who unanimously, voted recented for increasing teachers pay and giving back to taxpaying homeowners a slight reduction in renewal levy taxes.
Thank You, Mrs. Kohls, Mr. Rigano, Mr. Petroni, Mr. Miller, and Mrs. Kull! In case you missed this Great News printed in the August 15 issue of Star Press, our Springboro Board of Education
member, David Petroni, states:

Public Schools serve the community. And the community supports public schools. Today, we stand in an almost unheard of place: we are prepared to give something back to the taxpayer--to give back to our community by reducing the tax burden.

The renewal levy on the ballot in November will be set at a lower millage rate to reduce taxes generated by that levy by nearly 15 percent (a reduction of $1,353,800 per year).

There is an assumption that if we are cutting the taxes; we must be cutting back in our schools. This is simply false.

Petroni said the following needs are in the current budget through 2017:

High School busing restored,
More than $2 million in textbooks and curriculum adoption,
More than $2.1 million in textbooks and curriculum adoption,
More than $2.1 million for new buses,
More than $3.7 million in capital needs and deferred maintenance,
More than $1.5 million in technology (100 percent WiFi; 1,000 computers, 350 teacher laptops).
More than $7.5 million for staff in raises and benefit changes!
"These needs are met in the five-year forecast even with the lower renewal levy," stated Petroni.

And there's more great news in the rest of this article in the August 15, Springboro Star Press.

Springboro loves our children first and their classroom teachers!

Best Wishes to our entire Springboro School District Staff as we all look forward to a great new year of growing, learning, working, and playing sports! G-O- P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!
back to WHAT

Girard, OH

#26642 Aug 16, 2013
Waste Watchers wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether liberal or conservative, and no matter of which religious belief, or none at all, Springboro taxpayers are U-N-I-T-E-D
in this O-N-E thing. No more Policy changes including these controversial issues; that only serve up fuel to the fire of the SEA war of words against taxpayers.
For the sake of good neighbor policy, the school board policy committee should review ALL controversial subject that are taught at taxpayers expense (including religion, sex, drugs, and rock and roll!) and hand these teachings back to the parents in the home.
Imagine all that money that could be used to employ experienced MATH teachers; possibly bringing those student math scores ABOVE "just proficient."

Springboro Parents need to Educate themselves to know the difference between Education for Life (parental/home responsibility) and government schooling of OEA unionism (which is idoctrination to pass the Ohio graduation tests).
Public schools Union masters will grip and complain that "the home just won't do" and taxpayers should just take a look around the cess pool that our society is sinking into and accept the FACTS that the government schooling for sex and drugs isn't doing such a good job, either. Why waste your Money?
I don't disagree with you. However regarding the Confederate flag episode, members of this community and most certainly the media were clueless in ascertaining Sonny's point. The hypocrisy in all of this is many choose to view a 150 year old flag as a "symbol of racism", yet that evening they were completely ignorant to the political symbolism they wore on their bodies.
Another View

Piqua, OH

#26643 Aug 16, 2013
back to WHAT wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't disagree with you. However regarding the Confederate flag episode, members of this community and most certainly the media were clueless in ascertaining Sonny's point. The hypocrisy in all of this is many choose to view a 150 year old flag as a "symbol of racism", yet that evening they were completely ignorant to the political symbolism they wore on their bodies.
"So divinely is the world organized that everyone of us, in our place and time, is in balance with everything else."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The way I see it, Sonny (a Springboro parent) simply got caught up in the hype of the media circus that our SURE Parents' Red Ribbon "Teachers Are Victims" Project had been whipping up in the press for some time!

Unfortunately, those of us attending the business meetings to learn how the BOE was "conducting our business of education with our school tax dollars" were captive audiences in this pre-arranged drama for SURE union propaganda. At every meeting we heard over and over how a few parents WANTED the board to do OUR school "business" their way; and these parents were allowed to continue going "way off track" with their bullying demands, which finally led to ONE parent, using her privilege to participate in BOE meeting, to actually tell an elected official to resign!
Now, everyone who wanted to perform in front of the TV news camera got equal time to do so; exercising their rights to free speech!
God Bless America! But, it is time to move on to higher ground,
in search of exercising the rights of all to behave toward one another with "common decency" in all that we do in our schools and community. Everybody got what we were all "fighting" against one another for -- Teachers Got Pay Raises -- Taxpayers got reduction is levy cost! So what's Not to be Thankful for in that responsible leadership of our Springboro Board of Education!
The way I see it, we have come to a fork in the road in November
-- Why would any Parent NOT choose moving ahead in the direction of financial sustainability? Isn't this something for which WE can all unite ourselves to Rally for our Children First?
Some Answers

Piqua, OH

#26644 Aug 16, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
What about classes that too many enroll in - say for example 35 people want AP calculus - are they going to make a class with that many students or are they going to have two classes with low class sizes? I'm sure the board would argue for the single class but what is best for the students? Would they turn some students away because they cant fit into one class?
There is some insight into your questions (for parents to learn more about our students' quality classroom education, with a union teacher in every classroom) in the very lengthy SEA contract which the BOE has just recently accepted. This is on the school website (and quite boring to read) but the union's demands on class size may be included--and it isn't that the Administration would turn a child out of the class; but the union contract MAY be the villian here. Smaller class sizes have not proven to be effective in student performance; but keep in mind that it's all about the money for the SEA; and hiring MORE teachers is the way that the SEA has of collecting more big cost union dues; so parents will have to stay engaged in our students high school courses and make sure that our students do not become victims of their union teachers. Most parents feel more confident that the leadership
of the newly -hired high school principal will put our students best interest first; in contrast to Dr. Malone whose best interest was always "hiring more highly-paid union teachers first" so that the SEA's treasure chest would swell with big union dues.
Another question: Do we know how much of our teachers' salaries are taken from them and paid into the Union dues, just so that the teachers are allowed to work in Mr. Maney's Springboro Education Association? This is a subject of interest to many.
Seeing The Real Ron

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#26645 Aug 16, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
All of your posts contain a tone that denigrates and blames the children for buying into your culture of low expectations and fun. Not telling the parents the truth about the true rigor of your course of study was no one's choice but your own. Presenting proficient in a light that hid the abject failure it masked with positive sounding words was once again solely your decision. Attempting to now to blame parents for the curriculum you dumbed down is a new low.
It will take years to rectify the damage you have done and rebuild our curriculum so that we will have enough children prepared to take those advanced classes. This process must begin before they are seniors in high school as you well know.
Reallocating resources from your fun curriculum to one that better prepares our students is the first step. Creating a culture where students embrace real excellence and the work it entails to achieve will move our entire school system in the right direction.
Further blaming the school board for the decisions that Warren County Educational Service Centers have noted since 2008 that have resulted in a continual degradation of our curriculum reveals more about your character or lack thereof than anyone elses.
the way i see it

Girard, OH

#26646 Aug 17, 2013
Another View wrote:
<quoted text>
"So divinely is the world organized that everyone of us, in our place and time, is in balance with everything else."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The way I see it, Sonny (a Springboro parent) simply got caught up in the hype of the media circus that our SURE Parents' Red Ribbon "Teachers Are Victims" Project had been whipping up in the press for some time!
Unfortunately, those of us attending the business meetings to learn how the BOE was "conducting our business of education with our school tax dollars" were captive audiences in this pre-arranged drama for SURE union propaganda. At every meeting we heard over and over how a few parents WANTED the board to do OUR school "business" their way; and these parents were allowed to continue going "way off track" with their bullying demands, which finally led to ONE parent, using her privilege to participate in BOE meeting, to actually tell an elected official to resign!
Now, everyone who wanted to perform in front of the TV news camera got equal time to do so; exercising their rights to free speech!
God Bless America! But, it is time to move on to higher ground,
in search of exercising the rights of all to behave toward one another with "common decency" in all that we do in our schools and community. Everybody got what we were all "fighting" against one another for -- Teachers Got Pay Raises -- Taxpayers got reduction is levy cost! So what's Not to be Thankful for in that responsible leadership of our Springboro Board of Education!
The way I see it, we have come to a fork in the road in November
-- Why would any Parent NOT choose moving ahead in the direction of financial sustainability? Isn't this something for which WE can all unite ourselves to Rally for our Children First?
I suggest you seek personal intervention regarding correct use of parentheses and CAPS. It is extremely annoying.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#26647 Aug 17, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Point number one regarding hiring "cheap" teacher aides, I would not qualify $250,000 as cheap. As I heard the board respond, they seemed a bit taken aback by a last second request for that kind of money two weeks before school starts. I would have thought that we might have known beforehand roughly how many teacher aides we would require way before that moment. The board rightly decided to study the issue further, as well they should, to ascertain that is the number required and that is the best way to handle the situation at hand. Making knee jerk decisions without the benefit of proper vetting rarely gets us where we want to go efficiently or financially responsibly.

The board has been looking to upgrade our program of studies to increase the higher level classes since they came on board in January 2012. When Mr. Malone presented his plan for a new program of studies rather than addressing A/P classes he offered such gems as a guitar class and a current events class. When the board looked into our lack of participation in the Post Secondary Education Options (PSEO) Mr. Malone argued that there was no need for children to look outside of our campus for advanced options. Mr. Malone made calculated moves to provide deterrents to student considering the PSEO program. The most glaring would be the reduction of credit awarded to the final grade attained in a PSEO class. An A in a PSEO class would only count for 95%, while an A in an A/P class at his high school would garner the recipient 110%. All of these grades would greatly effect the student's GPA and class standing outcomes that figure into scholarship opportunities and college applications to various universities.

Some classes will get dropped in the natural progression of things as curriculum is constantly evaluated for needs and demands. One class for instance has 4 children signed up for its knowledge. While the board changed art to reflect student demand, it added an A/P Statistics class and invested in new A/P textbooks.

Mr. Malone was in charge for 12 years, he was the man, he was the leadership. He chose to lead the dumbing down of the curriculum in pursuit of euphemistic honors.

Mr. Malone is no Jamie Escalante fighting for the enrichment of his charges.

In 12 years Mr. Malone made a great difference in the wrong direction.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#26648 Aug 17, 2013
Page 10 From the 2012 report by the Warren County Educational Service Center.

Mr. Malone had been reviewed numerous times previously and made aware of his program of studies shortcomings.

Why did Mr. Malone choose not to pursue the direction and recommendations provided for the benefit of the children?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxs0_xA64y_HS...

"SHS still offers general level classes (Algebra 1A and !B, physical science, US HIstory, and World History) Thus, not all students experience a college preparatory curriculum. Documents provided to the TAV Team indicate that contrary to the High Schools That Work (HSTW) philosophy, SHS believes that offering low level courses is in the best interest of students. THIS BELIEF, however, WAS NOT SUBSTANTIATED BY RESEARCH OR DATA."

Dumbing down the curriculum is apparently not in the best interest of the student.

Nothing substantiates this belief in either research or data.

Yet, that was the path Mr. Malone chose for your children.

These are not my conclusions, but the conclusions of professional educators hired by the school district to audit our program of studies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 14 min Barry 19,929
I just consulted with my Fidelity Investments a... 4 hr Leon Harrison 1
"I am boycotting soccer!" 5 hr Leon Harrison 1
Heather Meade embezzled from Bright Now Dental 22 hr Cash is King 1
Today's Leon Harrison Quotation Thu Fan of Leon The Man 20
Democrat demographics and time... Thu Fan of Leon The Man 1
News CWA e-Newsletter: May 21, 2015 Thu Fan of Leon The Man 2
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]