Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31822 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

No to unions

Cincinnati, OH

#26287 Aug 5, 2013
its very apropos wrote:
<quoted text>
If you seriously believe the term... "NAZI"... isn't a perfectly accurate description for the Springboro Education Association and how this organization is attempting to brainwash the minds of this district's families, then you obviously haven't watched nor attended Springboro board meetings.
My reply was lost in typing. I would like to see Kohls share her plan/ achievements with other struggling schools in the area. The SEA needs to go!

I deem the word NAZI as the true "N" word as these were horrible, horrible murderers of the masses...
Who Can We Trust

Piqua, OH

#26288 Aug 5, 2013
Taxed Enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny that folks who want limited government and accountability are considered "freaks of nature"...
Naturally Malone, and the folks for SURE, who praise and worship insanely popular false gods of education, are indoctrinated with freakish Tax and Spend Policies of the OSBA, and limited in their vision of the OSBLC better way of teaching accountability and fiscal responsibilty!
Vipers and Hypocrites

Piqua, OH

#26289 Aug 5, 2013
Shame on you wrote:
<quoted text>
Please refrain from using the "N" word...
Oh Yeah! Don't you know that only "potty-mouth mom" words for
S-U-R-E are allowed? After all, only Principal Ron's kids can use words like "Liar, Liar pants on fire" during public interrogation of of moms and dad who serve as board representatives in Springboro schools. Only SEA non-professionals can use the N word to our reform minded BOE elected officials. lol...
Please refrain from being a hypocrite and Shame on you.
Another View

Piqua, OH

#26290 Aug 5, 2013
reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
Here it is August 5th and Kohls has yet to submit a petition toward retaining her board seat.
Guess that's just another expertise of Springboro parent, Kelly Kohls, who has been a Board of Education member for the past four years!

You see, in contrast to school board candidate, Ron Malone, who has been a high school principal for 13 years and is insanely popular with the SEA; Kelly Kohls is invested in her work, but remembers that her highly successful work as a board member is just something that she does, with expertise. Those of us who love and support Kelly know that she loves her work for our children first; but we also respect Kelly as an individual who is much more than just her work, and who is deserving of other sources of satisfaction! Elections come and go; but Kelly Kohls will always be a winner and will always find a way to serve others, no matter which way she chooses to go!
Words of Wisdom to the Springboro Education Association school board president wanna be, Ron Malone! YOU are unfit to fill the shoes of our BOE president; And YOU will NEVER be a winner, no matter how many union scumbag votes you get!
Mr. Malone should take heed to the words of Colin Powell who said: "Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls; your ego goes with it."
Listen Up

Piqua, OH

#26291 Aug 5, 2013
The SEAs kool aid roster wrote:
Dear Board of Education Members,
I am asking, as a taxpayer, parent and community member, for your to offer a fair contract with our dedicated teachers and settle immediately. I am aware of a contract that you are about to enter into with Huffmaster, which tells me you have not been negotiating with open minds or in good faith. Our teachers are just like all of us and deserve fair pay and a fair contract, after several years of going without an increase. Their dedication to our children's success and the success of our community should be reflected in the way our school board treats them.
Once again, I am asking that you settle with our teachers and lead our community and show the same respect for our teachers, that you request from all of us.
Sincerely,
Lynn Greenberg
I want my one voice one vote to be clearly heard in saying "Thank you for your comments."

As a taxpayer, parent, and community member, I am asking that you respect the opinions of all 10 to 12 thousand households in Springboro, next time you feel like imposing your one voice one vote in disrespect to our BOE members.

Please keep in mind that others among the 10 -12 thousand Springboro households may feel just as strongly about their positions, in opposition to yours, as you feel. What we all need to do a bit more of is to listen--really listen--to what others think and to give what they say serious consideration.

It is noticed, for SURE, that you are among those who are so busy planning the next attack on Springboro taxpayers and our board representatives on behalf of the SEA, that you barely hear what anyone else has to offer in leadership to our schools and community. Thank you for listening, Lynn, and please remember the words of Winston Churchill who said: "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. "
The Scoffer

Piqua, OH

#26292 Aug 5, 2013
No to Boro Levy wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical narrow thinking of the folks that just want to tax to no end. I am just wasting money anyway so I might as well pay more taxes and give it to the schools? What an ignorant thing to say. It is MY money, not yours! You have no idea what I do with my money and it frankly is no concern of yours - keep your hands out of my pockets!
In a recent DDN report "Conflict shadows schools' success"
written by Jeremy P. Kelley and Lawrence Budd, it is stated that Clearcreek Twp. resident Brad Lewin urged the board not to cut budgets so much that the district loses experienced, inspiring teachers. "We are the richest zip code in the Dayton area," Lewin said. "Nobody likes property taxes, and they're a dumb way to fund schools. But I want to be taxed enough (to Pay) for quality teachers." - DDN

WoW, what a caring comunity we are in Springboro Education Association's false gods of education cult! Here we have a neighbor admitting that we are indoctrinated, intimidated,
and silenced in our "dumbness" to continue funding the high cost of forced unionism; simply because he "wants to be taxed enough for quality teachers." Poor Little Rich Man in the richest zip code in the Dayton area....ah... truly, ignorance is bliss!
But renewal levy is all about pay increases for union members;
and of what value to our children first is voting yes to pay more for "quality" which is Priceless?
Time For Kelly To Go

Englewood, OH

#26293 Aug 5, 2013
Well, election season is already upon us in Springboro. With 3 of the 5 school board seats up for vote and the seat of our current school board President up for grabs, the stakes are high and thus the rhetoric has begun. I have been watching with a mix of amusement and sadness as our current school board members try to spin and backpedal from the events of the past year and attempt to absolve responsibility for the complete and total chaos they have created in our community.

Just in time for campaigning, they talk about truth, transparency, unity, and the confidence they have built in Springboro, as if by simply saying those words they are somehow supposed to be true? I don’t know anyone who associates those words with these people. They write about how they don’t understand why people in our community don’t trust them, don’t appreciate them, and don’t believe in them. They talk about the direction they have taken our district and their wonderful, amazing, incredible leadership of our schools. Are they kidding? Sadly, I don’t think they are, and even worse, I think some people actually believe this fiction as fact. Based on the school board’s recent Constitution Day debacle, we all know they love revisionist history, but the bounds of their ability to mislead and deceive with such ease still continues to astound me. I will give them credit for one thing, they can distort fact like no group of people I have ever encountered – in this category they get an A+.

Watching history be retold and revised in real time is interesting, frightening, and angering. I watch as the Springboro School Board takes great pain to pat itself on the back in news releases and blog posts and simultaneously bemoans the fact that the people of Springboro are not elated with the fact that they have accomplished some of the most basic functions of their job by making sure our kids can get to school and that when they get there they will have basic educational materials. Wow! That puts them on par with basically every other functional district in the state. Nice but not exactly noteworthy. Congratulations for doing the minimum requirements of your job, which if the story stopped there would be actually be great. No, the story they tell is entirely half baked, filled with half truths, and all politics as usual.

Do they think we have forgotten that we have had record numbers of teachers, principals, and administrators leave in the past year? Do they think we have forgotten the countless school board meetings filled with parents expressing concern, anger, and frustration with the leadership of this board, only to have these board members sit with ears closed and eyes fixed on their ipads or to have our school board President simply throw parents out of school board meetings entirely? Do they think we have forgotten those who were not thrown out of school board meetings for going off topic? Do they think we have forgotten the regular stream of bad publicity and negative media coverage bestowed on our schools as a result of the divisive policies and overt political actions of this school board. Do they think we have forgotten having our teachers pushed to the brink of a strike for what now seems to be purely political reasons? With only a two year contract in place, do they think we are not smart enough to see that we will soon be headed down that path again if this board retains a majority? Do they think we have forgotten that our tax dollars are being spent on pending litigation for unfair hiring practices, which are accompanied by some pretty damning comments about the views of our school board President as they pertain to parents and teachers in this district?

In the current Springboro School Board, we have a group of people whose primary accomplishment has been the unnecessary and unwanted manufacturing of complete and total chaos for our kids and our community.
Time For Kelly To Go

Englewood, OH

#26294 Aug 5, 2013
This group of “leaders” has consistently demanded that the spotlight be put squarely on their political agenda instead of on the future our children. Instead of looking at strengthening our curriculum and supporting our teachers, they pushed for charter schools, advocated for arming our teachers with guns, endorsed radical religious ideologies, and have tried to implement twisted political courses. Instead of showcasing the substantial accomplishments of our teachers, children, and parents, this board wants to be given all the credit for the work of others. Instead of crediting the current financial situation to the happenstance of having two pipelines in our district that may yield an as yet to be determined amount of revenue for our schools, this board seems intent on claiming that balancing a budget is some miracle of their own personal financial wizardry. Instead of operating quietly as a governing body and ensuring that the employees of the district are performing at their best, this board has chosen to overstretch its authority and micromanage this district to the point of dysfunction. Instead of listening to the concerns of parents, they shout them down, silence them, label them, and dismiss them entirely, as is evidenced by our school board president and her comments on YouTube about just blankly smiling, nodding her head and sending those who disagree with her on their merry way instead of actually listening. Instead of spending our tax dollars wisely, this board has racked up attorney fees through its reckless behavior and shameless actions. Instead of telling the truth about what they have accomplished, they tell stories that spin reality in a such a perverse and ridiculous way that you would think that the events of the past year just never happened, and believe that if they can save you a hundred bucks through their actions that it does not matter what they do – morals, ethics, and principles be damned.

This board is more interested in playing politics than ensuring the long term success and stability of our schools. Look at the school levy reduction they just proposed. One board member described the levy reduction, which is clearly a shrewd political tactic to try to buy redemption from voters, like buying a car – asking if the payment is lower than you thought why would you question it? Well, this illustrates one of the oldest tricks in the “used car salesman’s guide to making the sale,” which is that people will often buy on payment and disregard the long term impact of the structure of the deal. Any car salesman worth his salt can lower your payment by mortgaging your future. You see, it’s pretty easy to drop your payment from $300 to $250 by not paying attention to the dynamics of finance. This is why people finance cars for 6 and 7 years, but think they get a “great deal.” Sounds great now, but down the road it will likely cause regret. Yes it is great to lower property tax, but is it at the expense of the quality of the schools? Is it affordable and sustainable based on what we currently know about the stability of the revenue that is supposed to replace it? Is it wise to cut funding to the bone at a time when we should be investing in the future sustainability of our schools?
Time For Kelly To Go

Englewood, OH

#26295 Aug 5, 2013
Is it wise to take speculative risks with the funding of our schools when we are already an outlier on the low end of spending per pupil? Has the due diligence been done to ensure that these levy alternatives are actually viable?(In the direction of transparency, it would great to see the calculus that went into this decision.) Is it wise to believe that we as a community can have great schools without paying for them? Unfortunately, that ship has sailed, and we are now going to need to pass the levy with the reduced dollar amount and hope for the best. Should that ship run aground, I suppose it won’t have a big impact on those who are not fully vested in the school district, so maybe the impact of such decisions was lost on most of our school leaders. This is just another example of them saying one thing (conservative financial approach) and actually doing something else (reckless political pandering.) I will vote for this levy and hope for the best. For the record, planning on wild speculation and hoping for the best is not what I call a conservative approach to finance.

This school board has created controversy after controversy after controversy. They have made our community into a national example of what can go wrong when government power is unchecked. They have taken our district in the wrong direction, and if allowed to continue that direction will lead us into destruction and despair. They speak of direction, but the direction they have chosen is one that leads our community into the abyss.

If you believe that the past year has been a great one for our schools, a year that saw the reputation of our schools strengthen, a year that brightened the future of our children, a year that made you proud to say you are from Springboro, than by all means vote to continue on in this direction. If you believe that divisive politics, guns in classrooms, charter schools, creationism, attorney fees, bad media coverage, poor employee relations, and diminishing academic options are great for our children, will increase our property values, and will make our town a place people will increasingly want to call home, vote to continue in this direction.

Respectfully, I believe that the time has come for us to embark on heading in a new direction – a direction that places common sense and the common interests of our community in securing the future of schools above personal political aspirations. A direction that considers all views and balances fiscal responsibility with sustainable academic quality. A direction that restores meaning in the phrase Boro Pride. A direction that is based in principles, morals, and ethics and not the notion that the end justifies the means when it comes to the future of our children. While we can’t reclaim all five seats on this board in November, taking back three of them will put balance and stability in place and restore some semblance of sanity to our schools and community. With two minority seats retained, the remaining board members can still have their voice heard, still have financial input, still bring issues to the table, but will not have the absolute, unchecked authority that has run amuck in our community over the past year. We need diversity of perspective, not lockstep adherence to political goals and objectives that are not in the best interests of our children. We need trust, respect, and honesty – three traits which I children should embrace and which can not be used to describe the current majority of our schools board.

It is my view that there is one and only one direction that our current Springboro School Board President should be shown this November and that direction is OUT!
partisan

Bellbrook, OH

#26296 Aug 6, 2013
Time For Kelly To Go wrote:
Is it wise to take speculative risks with the funding of our schools when we are already an outlier on the low end of spending per pupil? Has the due diligence been done to ensure that these levy alternatives are actually viable?(In the direction of transparency, it would great to see the calculus that went into this decision.) Is it wise to believe that we as a community can have great schools without paying for them? Unfortunately, that ship has sailed, and we are now going to need to pass the levy with the reduced dollar amount and hope for the best. Should that ship run aground, I suppose it won’t have a big impact on those who are not fully vested in the school district, so maybe the impact of such decisions was lost on most of our school leaders. This is just another example of them saying one thing (conservative financial approach) and actually doing something else (reckless political pandering.) I will vote for this levy and hope for the best. For the record, planning on wild speculation and hoping for the best is not what I call a conservative approach to finance.
This school board has created controversy after controversy after controversy. They have made our community into a national example of what can go wrong when government power is unchecked. They have taken our district in the wrong direction, and if allowed to continue that direction will lead us into destruction and despair. They speak of direction, but the direction they have chosen is one that leads our community into the abyss.
If you believe that the past year has been a great one for our schools, a year that saw the reputation of our schools strengthen, a year that brightened the future of our children, a year that made you proud to say you are from Springboro, than by all means vote to continue on in this direction. If you believe that divisive politics, guns in classrooms, charter schools, creationism, attorney fees, bad media coverage, poor employee relations, and diminishing academic options are great for our children, will increase our property values, and will make our town a place people will increasingly want to call home, vote to continue in this direction.
Respectfully, I believe that the time has come for us to embark on heading in a new direction – a direction that places common sense and the common interests of our community in securing the future of schools above personal political aspirations. A direction that considers all views and balances fiscal responsibility with sustainable academic quality. A direction that restores meaning in the phrase Boro Pride. A direction that is based in principles, morals, and ethics and not the notion that the end justifies the means when it comes to the future of our children. While we can’t reclaim all five seats on this board in November, taking back three of them will put balance and stability in place and restore some semblance of sanity to our schools and community. With two minority seats retained, the remaining board members can still have their voice heard, still have financial input, still bring issues to the table, but will not have the absolute, unchecked authority that has run amuck in our community over the past year. We need diversity of perspective, not lockstep adherence to political goals and objectives that are not in the best interests of our children. We need trust, respect, and honesty – three traits which I children should embrace and which can not be used to describe the current majority of our schools board.
It is my view that there is one and only one direction that our current Springboro School Board President should be shown this November and that direction is OUT!
tell us how you really feel. LMAO !
poundsand

Dayton, OH

#26297 Aug 6, 2013
yea, "Time for Kelly to Go", just want we want, to return to the status quo.

More PROFICIENT = FAILURE

No Thanks.
Heart Burn

United States

#26298 Aug 6, 2013
Time For Kelly To Go wrote:
Well, election season is already upon us in Springboro. With 3 of the 5 school board seats up for vote and the seat of our current school board President up for grabs, the stakes are high and thus the rhetoric has begun. I have been watching with a mix of amusement and sadness as our current school board members try to spin and backpedal from the events of the past year and attempt to absolve responsibility for the complete and total chaos they have created in our community.
Just in time for campaigning, they talk about truth, transparency, unity, and the confidence they have built in Springboro, as if by simply saying those words they are somehow supposed to be true?...
Nice cut and paste of another one of Bowman's rhetoric filled opinion pieces. You should source your posts, instead of treating them as your own. Some may consider it plagiarism. It would be refreshing however if Bowman just once backed up his self indulgent bloviating hubris hit pieces with just a hint of a few objective examples of what he continuously prattles on about. Saying something with a lot of flowery adjectives but no specifics of what he is trying to convey does not necessarily make it so...unless of course you are so inclined to already believe what he writes is to be taken as fact before you even get past the first sentence.

Now for an article with some specifics try this one on for size:

http://eagnews.org/fiscally-conservative-ohio...

I ask again….what exactly has Kelly Kohls done as a BOE member that has hurt the district, community and more importantly the kids? Please be specific.
poundsand

Dayton, OH

#26299 Aug 6, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
I ask again….what exactly has Kelly Kohls done as a BOE member that has hurt the district, community and more importantly the kids? Please be specific.
That is a great question that you will not get an answer for from the likes of 'time for kelly to go','no doubt' and all the other aliases and SEA, Union Firsters, etc.

The entire liberal, democrat, SEA, union-first electorate don't have to give specifics on any issue. The goal is the demonization of anyone who clings to moral or constitutional principles.
Twp resident

Girard, OH

#26300 Aug 6, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
Y'know of course their hard-on for getting rid of Kohls has almost nothing to do with the exhaustive work Kohls has done on the board the last 3 plus years. Their hard-on for getting rid of Kohls has virtually everything to do with Kohls' very strong Tea Party ties. So what's the irony behind this? Many Kohls-bashers are hypocrites who go out of their way to portray themselves as conservatives. If they're in fact conservatives, I feel sorry for them because by and large they've been brainwashed by an extremely liberal SEA agenda that's all about selling Springboro's schoolchildren down the river this November with the election of Malone, Babb et. al.
Heart Burn

United States

#26301 Aug 6, 2013
Twp resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Y'know of course their hard-on for getting rid of Kohls has almost nothing to do with the exhaustive work Kohls has done on the board the last 3 plus years. Their hard-on for getting rid of Kohls has virtually everything to do with Kohls' very strong Tea Party ties. So what's the irony behind this? Many Kohls-bashers are hypocrites who go out of their way to portray themselves as conservatives. If they're in fact conservatives, I feel sorry for them because by and large they've been brainwashed by an extremely liberal SEA agenda that's all about selling Springboro's schoolchildren down the river this November with the election of Malone, Babb et. al.
I understand that...but what I don't understand is they constantly claim she has an "agenda" and plays "politics". Yet they are so short sighted and self righteous to see beyond their own bias. It is their very personal and petty "agenda" and "politics" that actually cause the turmoil they say they dispise at BOE meetings, in the media, and that divides the community.

They are so short sighted and filled with venom to see that Kelly Kohls has done a damn fine job of helping turn the district around. And is being recognized nationally for doing so.

What I find funny and sad at the same time is they are so wrapped up in getting rid of Kohls to spite their own face they haven't noticed she hasn't pulled a petition yet to run for re-election.

She has them spinning their wheels yet again...lol.

I ask again...what has Kelly Kohls done as a single BOE member that has harmed the district, the community and most importantly the kids?
Heart Burn

United States

#26302 Aug 6, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>I ask again...what has Kelly Kohls done as a single BOE member that has harmed the district, the community and most importantly the kids?
Ahhhh, I love this time of year, filled with the sweet sound of crickets chirping.
Heart Burn

United States

#26303 Aug 6, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>I ask again...what has Kelly Kohls done as a single BOE member that has harmed the district, the community and most importantly the kids?
I love this time of year...the air filled with the sounds of crickets chirping.
Hold On

United States

#26304 Aug 6, 2013
reality check wrote:
<quoted text>Here it is August 5th and Kohls has yet to submit a petition toward retaining her board seat.
When is the deadline?
For the Record

Piqua, OH

#26305 Aug 6, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that...but what I don't understand is they constantly claim she has an "agenda" and plays "politics". Yet they are so short sighted and self righteous to see beyond their own bias. It is their very personal and petty "agenda" and "politics" that actually cause the turmoil they say they dispise at BOE meetings, in the media, and that divides the community.
They are so short sighted and filled with venom to see that Kelly Kohls has done a damn fine job of helping turn the district around. And is being recognized nationally for doing so.
What I find funny and sad at the same time is they are so wrapped up in getting rid of Kohls to spite their own face they haven't noticed she hasn't pulled a petition yet to run for re-election.
She has them spinning their wheels yet again...lol.
I ask again...what has Kelly Kohls done as a single BOE member that has harmed the district, the community and most importantly the kids?
Kelly Kohls has pulled petitions to run for re-election,
as of July 9, 2013, according to the Warren County Board of Elections website; but there is no record of Kelly Kohls FILING those petitions with required signatures to get her name on the November ballot as an incumbent board member running for re-election.
Heart Burn

United States

#26306 Aug 6, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
Perhaps the Tremeloes said it best: Silence Ss Golden.

Or maybe it was Geroge Barzan that expressed it best: "The silence is deafening"

Me? I prefer the sounds of crickets chirping.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 min The Ace of Spades 19,946
Regarding the former Bruce Jenner... 28 min Tantor 4
Today's Leon Harrison Quotation 18 hr Fan of Leon The Man 24
This is why I am an Ann Fan! 20 hr Ann Fan 1
Lindsey Graham can't get Mitt's 47%. 22 hr The Old Cold Warrior 1
Bitch and moan about drones? 22 hr Insider 2
"I am boycotting soccer!" Mon The Duke of Hazard 5
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]