Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,501

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#26059 Jul 25, 2013
Really Doug wrote:
<quoted text>

"Lolli said he contacted Kohls.“I told Ms. Kohls that it was my understanding that she had hold George Long that we could not hire the candidate that the high school had offered the job to and who Ms. Warner and I considered the best candidate — Tammy Grigsby. Ms. Kohls said,‘Gene, that is absolutely correct.’ I asked why and Ms. Kohls said,‘Gene, when she was the head of Neighbors for Springboro Schools and I ran the board, she was very disrespectful to me.’ I responded by asking whether that was any reason to hold a grudge when we had a quality candidate, to which Ms. Kohls responded,‘Gene, we have enough disrespectful teachers here, we don’t need any more disrespectful teachers being hired, and plus, Gene, she’s too political. We don’t need any more teachers like her.’ Ms. Khols went on to tell me that I ‘absolutely’ could not bring Ms. Grigsby’s name before the board because Ms. Kohls had the backing of the board and Ms. Grigsby would not be hired.”
http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/news-warr...
Another Profile in Courage,

Lolli's affidavit states that he was ordered to hold another round of teacher candidate interviews, even though he felt Grigsby was the best candidate for the job.

"I considered Ms. Kohls' instructions to be a directive from my employer and I followed them. Ms. Grigsby was not hired as a result," Lolli said.

Who ordered Mr. Lolli not to do his job?

Why did neither Mr. Lolli or Mr. Long ask the other board members how they felt about this injustice? Both men saw board members on a relatively frequent basis. Both men had the phone numbers of board members so contact was not an issue.

Was Ms. Grigsby a better teacher than Mr. Martin, who got the job?

Were our children cheated by having been taught by the "supposed" inferior skills of Mr. Martin?

Because that is the ramification of Ms Grigsby's lawsuit.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#26060 Jul 25, 2013
Really Doug wrote:
<quoted text>

Kohls is outwardly all about the first amendment, and then rejects a qualified employee based on her exercise of first amendment rights in opposition to Kohl's position. This shows the shallow depth of your understanding and reasoning skills.
I understand that this is not a first amendment issue, this is an employment issue.

This is an issue that saw how weak and ethically challenged our former administrative staff could be at times in the performance of their duties.

Instead of performing the tasks they were hired to do, they went out of their way to conspire against Ms. Grigsby. All of these people, Mr Lolli, Mr Long, and Mr Renshaw, were experienced in regards to the staffing procedures. These men were intimately familiar with the process and who did what when.

Ms Kohls may have despised Ms Grigsby to know end, but Ms Kohls remained but a solitary vote against her in a group of five.

That new math gets me sometimes, but I am pretty sure that 4-1 is still a losing vote for the 1.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#26061 Jul 25, 2013
Let's talk about education for a while instead of ad hominem attacks
ACT scores 2009 - 2011
Scale.....English.......Math.. ........Reading........Science .....Scaled Score
36.......... 75.......... 60..........38-40.......... 40..........36
35........73-74........58-59.. .......37..........35
34........71-72........56-57.. .......36..........39......... .34
33........70..........55...... ....35..........33
32........ 69..........54..........34.... ......38..........32
31.........68..........52-53.. ........31
30........ 67..........50-51..........33. .........37..........30
29........65-66........48-49.. .......32..........36......... .29
28........64 ..........46-47..........30-31 ..........35..........28
27........62-63.........43-45. .......29..........34......... .27
26........60-61.........41-42. ........28..........32-33..... ....26
25........57-59.........39-40. ........27..........30-31..... ....25
24........55-56.........37-38. ........26..........29........ ..24
23........53-54.........35-36. .........25..........27-28.... ....23
22........50-52.........33-34. .........24..........25-26.... ....22
21........47-49.........31-32. .........23..........23-24.... ....21
20........44-46.........30.... ......22..........21-22....... .20
19........42-43.........27-29. .........21..........18-20.... ....19
18........39-41.........27-26. .........20..........16-17.... ....18
17........37-38.........22-24. .........19..........14-15.... ....17
16........34-36.........18-21. .......17-18..........13...... ....16
15.........30-33........15-17. .......16..........12......... .15
(the numbers keep going down to zero, if you are interested see the scale at the link below)
http://www.olchs.org/assets/documents/RAW%20S...
The number on the left is your scaled score.
The numbers under the various subjects are the number of questions answered correctly for each subject
Base upon our ACT result posted on line on our transparency project at Springboro.org
For 2011 our ACT averages for each sujbect
English.....24.5 Scaled Score..... answers correct.....56/70 = 80%
Math........24.3 Scaled Score.......answers correct.....37/60 = 62%
Reading...24.6 Scaled Score.......answers correct.....26/40 = 65%
Science....24.0 Scaled Score.......answers correct.....29/40 = 73%
These are just the kids who took the ACT, this does not take into account those children who did not take the test.
And the results reported are the averages, we may produce a number of very smart children that score in the 30's, but we also have developed vastly more that score below the average of 24.
Applying Mr. Malone's same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)
According to Mr. Malone's scale
English 80% solid C
Math 62% high F
Reading 65% low D
Science 73% high D
Below are the percentages Mr. Malone assigned to the letter grades received by students involved in the Post Secondary Education Option (PSEO) when he figured the student's Grade Point Average (GPA) and consequent class ranking.
PSEO is a program whereby students leave the high school to attend college courses at local universities. The students earn college credit for classes they take while the school district pays for the tuition if the student passes.
A child without too much effort could have a semester of college completed before they set foot on a college campus.
F.....Below 62.99% correct answers
D..... 63%- 74.99% correct answers
C......75%- 84.99% correct answers
B..... 85%- 92.99% correct answers
A..... 93% correct answers and above
If the scale is good enough for kids taking college courses, it's good enough for the rest of the student population as well.

Since: Dec 08

Miamisburg, OH

#26062 Jul 25, 2013
No Doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt someone is scared!
VOTE MALONE, STUCKEY, BABB - real educational experience for our growing community!
And they pay their bills, too!
We have gone from massive debt, regular requests for unnecessary levies, no accountability and routine sky is falling charades...to operational surpluses, financial accountability, reduced levies, reduced pay to play, school busing is back, etc. So, what exactly am I missing here about how horrible this board has been for Springboro schools?
poundsand

Dayton, OH

#26063 Jul 25, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
We have gone from massive debt, regular requests for unnecessary levies, no accountability and routine sky is falling charades...to operational surpluses, financial accountability, reduced levies, reduced pay to play, school busing is back, etc. So, what exactly am I missing here about how horrible this board has been for Springboro schools?
^ this, BINGO!

Let's hear from the acid tongued 'Really Doug, No Doubt and Sheep' on this.

On the other hand, we don't need to hear anymore of their personal bias, character destruction and lack of factual viewpoints.
No More Tax

Dayton, OH

#26064 Jul 25, 2013
Lerxst wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly!
sheep

Springboro, OH

#26065 Jul 25, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that this is not a first amendment issue, this is an employment issue.
This is an issue that saw how weak and ethically challenged our former administrative staff could be at times in the performance of their duties.
Instead of performing the tasks they were hired to do, they went out of their way to conspire against Ms. Grigsby. All of these people, Mr Lolli, Mr Long, and Mr Renshaw, were experienced in regards to the staffing procedures. These men were intimately familiar with the process and who did what when.
Ms Kohls may have despised Ms Grigsby to know end, but Ms Kohls remained but a solitary vote against her in a group of five.
That new math gets me sometimes, but I am pretty sure that 4-1 is still a losing vote for the 1.
Keep deflecting and demeaning hypocrite.
sheep

Springboro, OH

#26066 Jul 25, 2013
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
^ this, BINGO!
Let's hear from the acid tongued 'Really Doug, No Doubt and Sheep' on this.
On the other hand, we don't need to hear anymore of their personal bias, character destruction and lack of factual viewpoints.
Below in quotes as posted above isn't personal bias, character destruction in speaking about former administrators?

"This is an issue that saw how weak and ethically challenged our former administrative staff could be at times in the performance of their duties."

And trying to point out how someone else is ethically challenged by someone who threatens to kill a bank teller is quite interesting. Those in glass houses....
Winning Agenda

Piqua, OH

#26067 Jul 25, 2013
Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
In case you haven't noticed Doug, every employee of the district must be approved by the board. So while the Superintendent recommends who to hire, it is the board who actually hires. And it doesn't matter if Kohls is only one vote if she, Rigano and Petroni vote as one 99% of the time.
The time has now come to celebrate the unanimous vote of Kohls, Rigano, Petron, Kull, and Miller for Aproving agreement with Teachers pay increases and unprecedented 15% rollback on November Renewal. The Springboro Community City Schools Board of Education (BOE) voted unanimously in favor of a new agreement with the Springboro Educationa Association (SEA) at its board meeting this evening (July 16, 2013) according to Kelly Kohls, BOE president. The announcement comes less than a week after the BOE approved a new agreement with the Springboro Classified Employees Association (SCEA) "This is outstanding news for our employees, taxpyaers and students, and their families," said Kohls. "We have an agreement we can AFFORD and that will make our school district more competitive. We will be able to retain our best teachers and attract new top-notch teaching staff." for more great news in the direction of unity... go to website www.springboro.org

The time has now come for Springboro Schools Superintendent to DEMAND that his "Levy Ladies" and Neighbors for Springboro Schools immediately CEASE FIRE in their OEA war of words attacking Springboro families, both the old and the young and the rich and the poor, for more, more, more for the SEA ... all the way beyond common decency in professional behavior.

Our school superintendent has responsibility and accountability to the Springboro community, as a whole, for whom the superintendent is employed to serve, equally, and not of lesser value to the Springboro Education Association. Our school superintendent, in the spirit of common decency needs to step up to the plate in support of our strong schools and community, and REVERSE his "shame and blame" OEA tactics as expressed by his words printed in the Springboro Sun, July 11, 2013:

"Springboro's teachers have the lowest starting salary in Warren County, he said. People should ask if that is what they want for their school district," he said.

Where are the FACTS to support such a claim?

Our school superintendent should be about in our community extending a hand to taxpaying homeowners, building a spirit of good will toward all, instead of joining the NFSS pity party
for S-U-R-E, let's take it ALL!
poundsand

Dayton, OH

#26068 Jul 25, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Below in quotes as posted above isn't personal bias, character destruction in speaking about former administrators?
"This is an issue that saw how weak and ethically challenged our former administrative staff could be at times in the performance of their duties."
And trying to point out how someone else is ethically challenged by someone who threatens to kill a bank teller is quite interesting. Those in glass houses....
That's not personal bias, it's the truth, as proved by the new board members that were elected by the voters.

Stop beating the dead horse and get off Doug's back on the bank teller incident. It was dismissed.

Whether or not you approve of his viewpoints, at least he has the 'nads to be transparent in his comments by using his real name and not hiding behind an anonymous one.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#26069 Jul 25, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep deflecting and demeaning hypocrite.
I will keep addressing the actual issues while you continue ignoring the central arguments and the children's actual educational attainment.
Hear Ye Hear Ye

Piqua, OH

#26070 Jul 25, 2013
Running scared wrote:
Struck a nerve didn't I. What about all of the secret meetings taking place in certain board members basements, private golf outings with Fathers of athletes, just wait, it is all coming out. The community is coming together and is finally going to prevail. Bye, Bye, Bye...
The community is coming together tonight in BOE public meeting; and all of our Springboro citizens need to keep in mind, as we pre-arrange participation to perform, or plan to attend just to be informed, that we are all more likely to get what we want if we understand what others want and look for solutions that benefit us all. To have a win-win situation, wh have to understand what those whom we are dealing with want--and that means listening to what they have to say.

In order for our Board of Education representatives to do their job, it is required that they listen to both sides -- the school community (SEA) and their constituents (Springboro voters) and that is exactly what our elected officials have done in their service to our schools and community.

Tonight is a time of celebration and new beginnings of working togehter in the direction of unity and gratitude with the SEA getting their pay increases for teachers and the Springboro voters getting a levy reduction in taxes! What could possibly be reason for the NFSS and SURE groups to continue in their creations of "false budget crisis" if SEA doesn't get it all?

Springboro voters have come to trust the leadership of our children's first budget board representatives, because they have been educating Springboro for several years that, if they were given opportunity to serve our schools and community, that they would work to problem solve our education business/finances, and figure out a way for everyone to get something out of it; because in our board's expertise, they know if it's not win-win for all, that things are likely to fall apart quickly.
Hear Ye Hear Ye

Piqua, OH

#26071 Jul 25, 2013
Attention NFSS and SURE

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." - Anonymous -

Courage AND Listening go hand in hand. You can't have ONE without the other. Just like TWO sides of a coin -- each side reveals a different picture, but each side if of each value in the "wholeness" of it's worth. So it is with our SEA school commuity and our Springboro Community of taxpaying homeowners! Each side reflects 100% percent value, neither is of less worth as a human being; and the dignity of all must be acknowledge and preserved in civil discourse of public meetings.
sheep

Springboro, OH

#26072 Jul 25, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
I will keep addressing the actual issues while you continue ignoring the central arguments and the children's actual educational attainment.
Addressing the actual issues is offering demeaning statements towards our former administrators? That's an interesting way to go about things considering you always preach to people not to demean others. Hypocrite.
Hear Ye Hear Ye

Piqua, OH

#26073 Jul 25, 2013
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not personal bias, it's the truth, as proved by the new board members that were elected by the voters.
Stop beating the dead horse and get off Doug's back on the bank teller incident. It was dismissed.
Whether or not you approve of his viewpoints, at least he has the 'nads to be transparent in his comments by using his real name and not hiding behind an anonymous one.
Attention NFSS and Sure Groups -

Let continue that thought as we head to the board room tonight.

Our school board president, Kelly Kohls, has shown more transparency in our school board business of educating our children in this community during the years since 2010 when she came on board, than ALL previous board members all put together ever did to include the public in school board meetings. This Springboro parent, good neighbor, great American citizen, and amazingly awesome public servant has never hid behind an anonymous name; but has stood strong on PRINCIPLES of good parenting and good citizenship, doing what's right for our schools and community.

Yet, she is continuously attacked verbally, spiritually, and mentally with such political, religious, personal "Class warfare.....
by the SEA/activists and wealthy parents in our school, and even the the principal of the high school falsely accused this Springboro parent, who had students in his building! WHY?
Inquiring minds are asking are we supporting professional educators or professional union mobsters with our school tax dollars?
All About Money

Piqua, OH

#26074 Jul 25, 2013
Ask the NFSS wrote:
Someone should ask the Neighbors for Springboro Schools folks, who are now activated to attack Springboro families for Increased Taxes, why the Neighbors for Springboro Schools folks don't go after the $400,000 of their kids money that the Boosters Board stole from our schools athletic program.
Appears that $400,000 could be used to replace the turf at careflight field. Taxpaying homeowners are not going to vote increasing taxes on our family homes to replace that turf for the football field, not without a fight in MY community.
Springboro Education Association/union activists care nothing at all about teaching children without their collectively bargaining rights to strike against teaching children without having their demands of "greedy me first--who cares' what left behind for our children's future!" SEA demands for instant gratification of addiction to Tax and Spend keeps their tunnel vision limited to what others have that they don't have; rather than being satisfied with getting generously paid for what they don't do -- inspire and uplift all Springboro families with words of wisdom and knowledge--as they continue their words of war against us demanding they get paid more, for doing less.
Now the NFSS demands that the SEA take it all because it will cost $400,000 to replace artificial turf on the football field? What's the football field go to do with a quality classroom education which is budgeted and paid for with this reduction levy and unanimously voted on by the board?
This $400,000 expense was never mentioned by former superintendent/treasurer/busin ess manager in 2008 when our school district leaders were promoting this as not costing the school district a penny; but instead would help boost the economy in Springboro. That pay to play fees discussion at board meeting tonight should be interesting. Do you thing the Athletic Booster board treasurer will hand over the money that it owes the school district athletic program? in This replacing the artice
All About Money

Piqua, OH

#26075 Jul 25, 2013
Springboro Education Association/union activists care nothing at all about teaching children without their collectively bargaining rights to strike against teaching children without having their demands of "greedy me first--who cares' what left behind for our children's future!" SEA demands for instant gratification of addiction to Tax and Spend keeps their tunnel vision limited to what others have that they don't have; rather than being satisfied with getting generously paid for what they don't do -- inspire and uplift all Springboro families with words of wisdom and knowledge--as they continue their words of war against us demanding they get paid more, for doing less.
Now the NFSS demands that the SEA take it all because it will cost $400,000 to replace artificial turf on the football field? What's the football field go to do with a quality classroom education which is budgeted and paid for with this reduction levy and unanimously voted on by the board?
This $400,000 expense was never mentioned by former superintendent/treasurer/busin ess manager in 2008 when our school district leaders were promoting this as not costing the school district a penny; but instead would help boost the economy in Springboro. That pay to play fees discussion at board meeting tonight should be interesting. Do you thing the Athletic Booster board treasurer will hand over the money that it owes the school district athletic program?
No Doubt

Englewood, OH

#26076 Jul 25, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
"I considered Ms. Kohls' instructions to be a directive from my employer and I followed them. Ms. Grigsby was not hired as a result," Lolli said.
Who ordered Mr. Lolli not to do his job?
No doubt Mr. Lolli did his job, to the best of his ability. Kelly Kohls represented herself, as the board president, to be speaking to Mr. Lolli on behalf of the board. You answered your own question!

It's interesting though, that one would think an administrator would make a stand to implore the board to do the right and legal thing, when in fact the board as represented by Kohls was instructing him to persecute someone because they had done just that...
Common Sense

Englewood, OH

#26077 Jul 25, 2013
Last week The Springboro School Board voted unanimously to approve a two year contract for our teachers. I appreciate this and thank them for doing so. However, as is often the case, there is far more to the story. In the same special meeting where the contract was approved – a meeting in which public commentary is not required nor was offered – the same board unanimously approved to place a renewal levy on the ballot this fall, but at a far lower dollar amount. These votes were followed by a lengthy campaign speech by our board President in which she took complete credit for everything, gave no gratitude to the teachers or community, credited her budgeting policies with creating savings that are actually attributed to pipeline money that has nothing to do with her, and shamelessly pandered for votes and support from her radical supporters.

Make no mistake. The two unanimous votes happened that way for a reason. This majority of this board had no intention of negotiating with the teachers and was ready to push them to strike. The only way this was averted was through a deal. Agree to cut the levy by using speculative pipeline money from the additional pipeline that is being built and the teachers get their contract. This enabled the board President to avert a strike while also lowering taxes, pleasing her political base, but at what cost to our kids? What is particularly frustrating about this, beyond the shameless political pandering, is that our community was repeatedly told that there was no money available to negotiate with our teachers. The school board President is up for election this November, and with all of the negative press she has brought upon our community, she is hoping that perhaps she can simply buy back your votes with a meager tax cut – at the long term expense of the financial stability of our schools. Our community was dragged to the brink of crisis for what appears to be no reason other than political bullying, because according to the board now there is so much money that we can reduce the levy. This is yet another example of this board talking transparency, but not walking the talk. This is yet another reason why there is a complete and total lack of trust in the actions of this board, and why this levy reduction should be viewed with extreme skepticism.

The board admits that the amount of new pipeline money the district will receive is speculative. The current pipeline money is also not guaranteed, which amplifies the risk of lowering the renewal levy amount. To be clear, this is a renewal levy, not new money. The district has needs for books, infrastructure, transportation, and enhanced curriculum, which can not be adequately addressed with a cut in funding. The reduction in funding makes it impossible for the district to address any unforeseen expenses or to properly address future contracts. Our classes are too big, our electives have been cut, our staff is too thin, our buildings need serviced, and our expenditure per pupil is already far lower than comparable school districts. We do not have a spending problem, we have a planning problem.

It sounds great to save a few bucks from a lower school levy… until you realize that those dollars are an investment in our future. We have historically received great returns on our investment in education in Springboro. We spend less per pupil than all but 13 districts in the state, and still we are consistently recognized as a top performing district in the State. Yet, at some point the rubber band gets pulled too far and snaps. Once it snaps, putting it back together again is far more difficult than simply properly managing the tension you place on it to begin with.
Common Sense

Englewood, OH

#26078 Jul 25, 2013
The plan this board is setting forth is the type of aggressive, reckless financial planning that resulted in people living beyond their means, encountering a financial crisis, and then losing their homes in the recent housing crisis that rocked our country and hurt home prices in our community. Fiscal conservatism does not mean unnecessarily cutting revenue to the brink of disaster just to say you can save money. This thinking only benefits the short term, and is just a shameless ploy for votes. It is trying to have it all, when you know that having it all is not wise. You can’t “not spend” on schools and expect to have quality schools. For a while you can play the shell game and use smoke and mirrors to make things appear to be something they are not, but in the end the same tried and true principle of you get what you pay for will hold true. You can’t change principles. It’s the ant and the grasshopper. It’s the goose and the golden eggs. If you don’t save and plan and work and prepare for the future, eventually you will suffer the consequences. Some are willing to turn a blind eye to this and rejoice in saving a few bucks. I am not willing to prostitute my principles and allow this board to do as it pleases in exchange for a few bucks. I won’t sit by and watch them implement radical political ideas and bankrupt our district without raising my voice and saying I do not support this madness.

Nobody likes paying taxes, myself included. The important question I ask about taxes is “am I getting good value for my money?” In Springboro that answer is yes – with the exception of what our board spends on attorneys, consultants, and nonsense that is. Another important question is “are you paying less and getting more than surrounding or comparable communities?” Again the answer is yes. If that is the case, why would you want to aggressively push the envelope even further by betting on speculative revenue to save a very meager amount of money at the risk of incalculable loss? Why gamble with one of our community’s most valuable assets – our schools? These schools give us pride, attract new families, prepare our kids for success, and keep our property values strong. Any minor decrease in property taxes that we receive from this levy reduction is but a drop in the bucket compared to what we will lose if our schools become financially insolvent.

This board says they desire to move in the direction of unity and fairness, and yet at every turn their actions seek to divide this community and unfairly punish our children. Their lust for political power and short term financial gain masquerading as community service is shameful, and they should be shown the door in November.

I am doubtful that we can stop them from reducing the amount of the renewal levy. They have the votes and they are desperate to do something to shift attention away from their lawsuits and advocacy of gun initiatives, creationism, questionable curriculum instruction, charter schools, and radical politics. Nope, it is campaign season, and the time has come for them to try to buy back your trust and ultimately your vote. The other items on their agenda will undoubtedly be back, especially if they win in November. While I don’t think the levy decision will be changed, I do think it is critical for people to continue to speak out against this decision and to stand against the direction this board has chosen. Most importantly, people need to choose to stop this madness once and for all, and putting this board’s risky business out of business by sending this board President and her running mates packing in November.

Stay involved Springboro. We won a victory for our teachers, but the fight to take back our schools rages on. United we will stand for our children, our schools, and the future of our community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Norman "CHUB" Bowling 9 hr Michelle Lee 1
Diversity Perversity (Apr '11) 11 hr Dayton Taxpayer 6
A "productive" congess... 11 hr The Hack Checker 3
Despite this Hannity Insanity: 17 hr The Old Cold Warrior 1
Boro etiquette (Jul '13) 19 hr near side 11
If you really dare to show that you care... 21 hr Dayton Taxpayer 4
Don't drive your cars to and from bars! 21 hr masterofconcretep... 9
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web