Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,713

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
me and Mrs Jobe

Girard, OH

#25611 Jul 9, 2013
I find it despicable that you would refer to temporary or replacement teachers as "scabs". That word puts the teachers union in the same category as Jimmy Hoffa's Teamsters, United Mine Workers and other union's that resort to name calling and violence. The human beings you call "scabs" are Americans, trying to make a living and working legally but they just don't believe as you do. Is that a reason to call them such a terrible name? I do understand though that the call for the community to send emails is part of the old tired union playbook though.
In my time I have worked in both the union environment(when I was young and dumb) and for past 20 years union free. I have had union members threaten me with violence and actually throw bricks at me. I have never had employers treat me as crude and unprofessional as unions did.

Think about this. A strike is part of a unions process or way of doing things. It is NOT part of a school systems process. The teachers choose to be part of a union and this process. So if it happens it was the unions decision.

I want to send the UNION a CLEAR message that we, as a community, do NOT want a strike. What is needed from the TEACHERS is a settlement from the negotiations that are on-going! A strike from our TEACHERS UNION is unacceptable.

Can you pass on my email to your union leaders or share their emails with me(as you did the BOE members) so I can share the same message with them? I am anxious to see what concessions the union takes from their initial offer during the course of these negotiation.

The BOE is just doing their job by having a plan B in case the teachers strike. As a parent I am glad there is a plan B. I truly don't want a strike and all this disruption but it is part of the process. I don't think the teachers to the BOE want a strike either. I don't even think most of the teachers want to be in a union. Most(not all) of the ones I know personally have told me if they had a choice they would not be in the union. We have some great teachers and a handfull of terrible ones as well that the union protects.
You are wrong

Lebanon, OH

#25612 Jul 9, 2013
The BOE does want to strike. They clearly don't want to negotiate. They showed up an hour late for negotiations. They clearly want this to end huh?
doubtit

Girard, OH

#25613 Jul 9, 2013
me and Mrs Jobe wrote:
I find it despicable that you would refer to temporary or replacement teachers as "scabs". That word puts the teachers union in the same category as Jimmy Hoffa's Teamsters, United Mine Workers and other union's that resort to name calling and violence. The human beings you call "scabs" are Americans, trying to make a living and working legally but they just don't believe as you do. Is that a reason to call them such a terrible name? I do understand though that the call for the community to send emails is part of the old tired union playbook though.
In my time I have worked in both the union environment(when I was young and dumb) and for past 20 years union free. I have had union members threaten me with violence and actually throw bricks at me. I have never had employers treat me as crude and unprofessional as unions did.
Think about this. A strike is part of a unions process or way of doing things. It is NOT part of a school systems process. The teachers choose to be part of a union and this process. So if it happens it was the unions decision.
I want to send the UNION a CLEAR message that we, as a community, do NOT want a strike. What is needed from the TEACHERS is a settlement from the negotiations that are on-going! A strike from our TEACHERS UNION is unacceptable.
Can you pass on my email to your union leaders or share their emails with me(as you did the BOE members) so I can share the same message with them? I am anxious to see what concessions the union takes from their initial offer during the course of these negotiation.
The BOE is just doing their job by having a plan B in case the teachers strike. As a parent I am glad there is a plan B. I truly don't want a strike and all this disruption but it is part of the process. I don't think the teachers to the BOE want a strike either. I don't even think most of the teachers want to be in a union. Most(not all) of the ones I know personally have told me if they had a choice they would not be in the union. We have some great teachers and a handfull of terrible ones as well that the union protects.
Ah mind games....kinds like when jodi arias said she'd rather get the death penalty than a life sentence. You don't care about the teachers or the kids. You want a charter school that is funded by the state and not your local property taxes. New flash genius. Taxes are taxes and nothing is free. Including charter schools.
u need a clue

Girard, OH

#25614 Jul 9, 2013
doubtit wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah mind games....kinds like when jodi arias said she'd rather get the death penalty than a life sentence. You don't care about the teachers or the kids. You want a charter school that is funded by the state and not your local property taxes. New flash genius. Taxes are taxes and nothing is free. Including charter schools.
A Springboro Charter school? Funded by the state of Ohio?
BAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHHAA!!!
Hey! Einstein! What does the state of Ohio recieve revenue?
Either directly or indirectly, it comes from me and from Y-O-U !!!!!
Twp resident

Girard, OH

#25615 Jul 9, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
And your posting of the same information over and over and over again without one suggestion of a solution never seems to address your salient point. Be a part of the solution, not the problem. Who suffers when no one such as yourself offers any solutions to perceived problems? The children suffer.
The only reason JW has to post the same information over and over again is because of backward thinking and hardheadedness of this town's union worshippers who are currently pretending to fight their greedy battle for...(OK everyone, let's hear that familiar glad sigh!)... for the sake "of our children".
Truth to Power

Girard, OH

#25616 Jul 9, 2013
TV Land wrote:
<quoted text>
Springboro, we can afford to hire better teachers for our children's classroom education, if we release the SEA to find workplace freedom some place else.
Springboro Education Association
50 South Main Street
Springboro OH 45066

All good parents and citizens of this Excellent Springboro School District -
Please do not hesitate to drop by our teachers' union headquarters to let them know your explicit feelings about the district's current hot-button subject.....

UNBRIDLED GREED.
clan

Girard, OH

#25617 Jul 9, 2013
Twp resident wrote:
<quoted text>
The only reason JW has to post the same information over and over again is because of backward thinking and hardheadedness of this town's union worshippers who are currently pretending to fight their greedy battle for...(OK everyone, let's hear that familiar glad sigh!)... for the sake "of our children".
How is promoting a curriculum sponsored by a white supremacist putting our children first?
Curious

Dayton, OH

#25618 Jul 9, 2013
For years we have been hearing that the best and brightest teachers and administrators are leaving the district "in droves". So riddle me this...If Tammy Grigsby is suing the BOE to get a job in this district, is she not one of the best and brightest?

If, according to the chicken little's, the best and brightest are running away in droves, mostly because of this BOE, why then is Mrs. Grigsby suing the BOE because she didn't get a job in the district?

Can you have it both ways? The best are leaving, but she is suing to get in. She really must want to work for this BOE. Does that make her less then one of the best and brightest? IF she is, then we shouldn't have hired her to begin with, or so says the "logic" of those that are always complaining the loudest.

These women crack me up.
NoTeaForMe

Englewood, OH

#25619 Jul 9, 2013
Curious wrote:
For years we have been hearing that the best and brightest teachers and administrators are leaving the district "in droves". So riddle me this...If Tammy Grigsby is suing the BOE to get a job in this district, is she not one of the best and brightest?
If, according to the chicken little's, the best and brightest are running away in droves, mostly because of this BOE, why then is Mrs. Grigsby suing the BOE because she didn't get a job in the district?
Can you have it both ways? The best are leaving, but she is suing to get in. She really must want to work for this BOE. Does that make her less then one of the best and brightest? IF she is, then we shouldn't have hired her to begin with, or so says the "logic" of those that are always complaining the loudest.
These women crack me up.
Maybe she is making a point...perhaps she is standing up for what is right, fighting back against this "agenda first" BOE and their tyrannical leader Kelly Kohls. Perhaps she is just trying to spare countless other teachers from the same discrimination she experienced for exercising her first amendment rights.

I support Tammy Grigsby and anyone else with the cojones to stand up to this out of control board. Time to send Kelly Kohls packing this November!
OldManThacker

Englewood, OH

#25620 Jul 9, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful what you wish for, it may come true.
Vote for Doug Wiedeman, the union's choice.
Doug Wiedeman is being investigated for tax evasion, is he not?
Get Real

Piqua, OH

#25621 Jul 9, 2013
clan wrote:
<quoted text>
How is promoting a curriculum sponsored by a white supremacist putting our children first?
There is no such curriculum being sponsored.
But have you taken a look at the high schools required reading list of books?

On to current negotiations issues:

How do Springboro Education Association demands of 85/15 compensation benefits "put our children first?"

Our Board of Education's fair and generous offer of employment
to the SEA teachers is "putting our children first."

Our Springboro Education Association is putting their own greed first; proving that Money is the only reason they are teaching;
and threatening to bring harm if their money demands aren't met.

We can do better than that for our children; but wonder if our teachers can do better for themselves by striking against Springboro taxpayers?

It will be interesting to see how our schools can still be great with no union politics in our kid's classrooms. Think of the money our district will save by avoiding all these union lawsuits, when we no longer have union teachers in every classroom.

The SEA doesn't care about our children and they refuse to accept a fair and generous employment contract; so guess the next step for the union is just pack up and head out of town.
Dollars and Sense

Piqua, OH

#25622 Jul 9, 2013
The Springboro Board of Education President makes SENSE to me,
as stated in the Springboro Sun on July 4th.

"We have now completed an evaluation of the financial impact of the current SEA proposal. It exceeds the school district's available funds by more than $2 million in years one and two," Kohls said, "In the spirit of transparency, we want to update the public on the BOE and SEA proposed agreements."

The parties remain divided on these key issues:
The board is offering step raises of 4.75 - 5.75 percent per year depending upon level of education when compared to the existing salary schedule. Those not eligible for a step raise would receive a $1,000 annual stipend. The SEA is countering with continued step raises and an additional 2.7 percent raise in base salary in the first year and an additional 1.7 percent in the second year.

The district is offering to pay 80 percent of health, dental and vision insurance premiums, SEA is countering with a continuation of 85 percent paid by the district. Employees now pay $170 per month for family plan coverage. Under the BOE proposal, monthly premiums will increase $57 per month so that employees would now pay $227 per month for the family plan.

The board proposals include a merit/performance-based pay system commencing no later than Feb. 1, 2015.

The proposals presented by the board and SEA agree to maintain the original contract language, thus leaving compensation and healthcare benefits as the remaining issues to resolve.

We have listened to our community. We are committed to providing a quality education, being fiscally prudent and being as fair to our employees as is possible in these difficult economic times,” Kohls said.“The board is also driven by a ‘Children First’ budget
That takes into account all aspects of our children’s education.”

Kohls also announced last week that a tentative agreement between the board and the Springboro Classified Employees Association,(SCEA), the union representing bus drivers, cafeteria workers and other non-teaching staff, is supported by the board,
According to board president, Kelly Kohls.

We are pleased with this tentative agreement,” said Kohls.“We will have an agreement that is a part of our plan to remain sustainable into the future.” She continued,“The SCEA and the BOE agreed to an increase in compensation and changes to the health
Insurance package which the district can accommodate.”

Highlights of the agreement include:
-Step Raises for three years
-$1000 annual stipend for three years;
-Employees will pay 20 percent for healthcare insurance, the district will pay 80 percent of the premium;
-Contract period will be four years

“I am very happy to make this announcement today. Our hope is that we can have similar news about our teacher union negotiations in the near future,” said Kohls.“We promised our community we would approve only agreements that were economically sustainable. We certainly have as far as our classified workers are concerned. This will be our ongoing goal as our negotiation
You are wrong

Milford, OH

#25623 Jul 9, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such curriculum being sponsored.
But have you taken a look at the high schools required reading list of books?
On to current negotiations issues:
How do Springboro Education Association demands of 85/15 compensation benefits "put our children first?"
Our Board of Education's fair and generous offer of employment
to the SEA teachers is "putting our children first."
Our Springboro Education Association is putting their own greed first; proving that Money is the only reason they are teaching;
and threatening to bring harm if their money demands aren't met.
We can do better than that for our children; but wonder if our teachers can do better for themselves by striking against Springboro taxpayers?
It will be interesting to see how our schools can still be great with no union politics in our kid's classrooms. Think of the money our district will save by avoiding all these union lawsuits, when we no longer have union teachers in every classroom.
The SEA doesn't care about our children and they refuse to accept a fair and generous employment contract; so guess the next step for the union is just pack up and head out of town.
You're clueless, you are strictly basing all of your comments based on your political beliefs. Teachers need a union because any wack job can get elected to the school board and then they make million dollar decisions for a district. If the union wasn't there to protect them teaching would be a horribly unsafe job to hold.
SEA is Wrong

Piqua, OH

#25624 Jul 9, 2013
You are wrong wrote:
The BOE does want to strike. They clearly don't want to negotiate. They showed up an hour late for negotiations. They clearly want this to end huh?
Not a BOE member, so can't speak the mind or intentions of the BOE.
Has anyone asked the BOE if they want to strike?
I don't think it is legal for the BOE to strike.
Only the union can strike.
Since the union won't accept the BOE offer, then why doesn't the
BOE give notice to the union that the offer will be taken off the table in five days?
Is this legal?
There should be some way to expedite the union to make up their minds to "strike or not to strike" but whatever, only the SEA can be blamed for their own foolishness and greed.
Our BOE is doing excellent work and have offered a great deal to the SEA.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25626 Jul 10, 2013
Lest we forget what our able employees have accomplished when they come to seek raises based upon past performance.

In our rush to be "FAIR" with the teachers pay, perhaps we should look at the job being performed first.

Our children have seen a gradual climb in the number of students consigned to the D and F range of the OAA math test.

This is the same class of children progressing from 6th grade math in 2009-2010 through 8th grade math in 2011-2012.

6th grade D and F students (09-10)... 302 students

7th grade D and F students (10-11)... 318 students

8th grade D and F students (11-12)... 347 students

Are these the results we expect from our vaunted school system when we are asked to fund the school system?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25627 Jul 10, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
And your posting of the same information over and over and over again without one suggestion of a solution never seems to address your salient point. Be a part of the solution, not the problem. Who suffers when no one such as yourself offers any solutions to perceived problems? The children suffer.
You are the professional educators, the ones who know best how to educate, where are your answers?

Where in your contract proposals are anything remotely related to improving the education of our children?

Aside the need for more money, less time at work, and less overseeing of the job being performed, where are the children in your mix?

Where are the answers from the professional educators?

Ms. Cook's response to a continual 80% failure rate in math on the Ohio Achievement Assessment test was to "convince" the union to teach less each day, effectively reducing the number of class periods per year by 25 out of 175.

Ms. Cook performed this miracle by reducing each class by 7 minutes each day and adding more class periods. 7 minutes per day x 175 days per teaching year = 1225 minutes per year

1225 minutes per year / last years 49 minute classes = 25 periods of instruction lost in every class

Genius.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25628 Jul 10, 2013
OldManThacker wrote:
<quoted text>
Doug Wiedeman is being investigated for tax evasion, is he not?
Maybe we should inform him.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25629 Jul 10, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
2000 plus children in this district are already not getting the education the taxpayers are funding.

This is not a new occurrence, but one that has been ongoing for a number of years.

Where has the union been on this issue?

It is as if the union does not care.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25630 Jul 10, 2013
You are wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
You're clueless, you are strictly basing all of your comments based on your political beliefs. Teachers need a union because any wack job can get elected to the school board and then they make million dollar decisions for a district. If the union wasn't there to protect them teaching would be a horribly unsafe job to hold.
Ask the folks that used to work at GM how that program worked out for them.

93% of Americans work under such a system in the private sector, why don't we ask them how they manage.

That number 60 years ago was only 64%, I wonder why over the past 60 years more people opted for the non union program?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25631 Jul 10, 2013
NoTeaForMe wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe she is making a point...perhaps she is standing up for what is right, fighting back against this "agenda first" BOE and their tyrannical leader Kelly Kohls. Perhaps she is just trying to spare countless other teachers from the same discrimination she experienced for exercising her first amendment rights.
I support Tammy Grigsby and anyone else with the cojones to stand up to this out of control board. Time to send Kelly Kohls packing this November!
Or she could be just making the union play.(Tyrannical, that is hilarious)

If this district is such a living hell, and she is making more money teaching in Middletown, why would she want to come to a place like this?

After all, who would willingly take a pay cut to come to work in Springboro?

Let's open up each position and see who applies, since they will all be union members we will be assured everyone is qualified.

Maybe there are lots of other highly qualified teachers out there just like Ms. Grigsby that desire to come to our district for just the same principled reasons.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fetus dies after woman is beaten, left on stree... 1 hr bite me 1
Week/Weekend Events at Mjs on Jefferson (20 N. ... 2 hr daytonpromo 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 12 hr Observer 19,589
Papa John's! 18 hr Doctor Holliday 4
our lady of the highlands (Mar '11) 18 hr Leon Harrison 11
Give Seth Rogen a break without the joy of hate. Fri Leon Harrison 2
don't waste your time or gas applying at Fuyao. Thu Kentgrind 3
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News