Con is the union position(e) The Superintendent shall consider such factors as the professional background of the applicants, their seniority in the District (See Article XII, Section 12.01, Seniority Definition), their work performance and their experience elsewhere. The filling of each position shall be governed by the principle of selecting the best person for the position, as determined solely by the Superintendent.
(f) Except for an open position filed by involuntary transfer, applicants for other vacant positions will be considered in the following order:
(1) applicants seeking reassignment;
(2) displaced employees seeking voluntary transfer;
(3) employees seeking voluntary transfer; then
(4) others seeking employment with the District.
(g) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall be:
(1) Reassignment: A change of subject or grade level assignment within the building.
(2) Transfer: A change of subject or grade level assignment from one building to another.
(3) Displaced Employee: An employee who is not assigned to the same teaching position and who is without an assignment.
The board proposed removing seniority as a consideration for filling vacant positions in the district. This means that teachers who have faithfully served the district for years could be bypassed for cheaper, less qualified teachers.
Seniority should not be the only consideration, but experience is important to any job. Apparently the board sees educating our children as somehow different – a unique job where experience in the field, relationships with the community, and accumulated tribal knowledge are all meaningless.
Could also mean that more qualified and more talented individuals could rise to the top. Time in rank is not a good indicator of whether or not a person is qualified for a certain position. There is something to be said for experience, the only qualifier is whether or not said experience was good or bad.
What is wrong with picking the best candidate? How does that provide a disservice to our children?
Pro is in the best interest of the children
Which makes more sense to you?