Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31964 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Twp resident

Cleveland, OH

#25457 Jun 28, 2013
questions more questions wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words you agree with my post that if you agree with someones views, politics etc. you do not want personal attacks. If you disagree with a persona vies, politics etc attack attack attack.
Usually it takes several posts before someone proves my hypocrisy claim..amazing how fast this happened.
Check with Don Miller. Maybe you can hire a reading comprehension tutor at the same place he goes to for speech.
Which One

Cincinnati, OH

#25458 Jun 28, 2013
25000 posts amazing!
but which came first, the chicken or the egg?
questions more questions

Dayton, OH

#25459 Jun 28, 2013
Twp resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Check with Don Miller. Maybe you can hire a reading comprehension tutor at the same place he goes to for speech.
whooooosh!

Must be drafty where you are.

Funny reading comprehension!!!!!!!!!Your post was easy to read and comprehend. You attacked Miller once again.. AS I pointed out in my post, typical hypocrite behavior.

whooooosh!
questions more questions

Dayton, OH

#25460 Jun 28, 2013
Twp resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgot to add this at the end of my previous post:
Thanks for Playing! Have a great weekend!
lol

Cincinnati, OH

#25461 Jun 28, 2013
<quoted text>
whooooosh!
Must be drafty where you are.
Funny reading comprehension!!!!!!!!!Your post was easy to read and comprehend. You attacked Miller once again.. AS I pointed out in my post, typical hypocrite behavior.
whooooosh!
lol!!!!!!!!!! Not very clever on miller's behalf of being attacked, just more typical hypocritical more hypocritical thinking for sure.
Which One

Cincinnati, OH

#25462 Jun 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Forgot to add this at the end of my previous post:
Thanks for Playing! Have a great weekend!
One more question. did you forget to answer which one
came first the chicken or the egg?
Priority News

Cincinnati, OH

#25463 Jun 28, 2013
malone again naturally wrote:
<quoted text>
If the teacher representation within last night's board meeting is a balanced cross section of all of Springboro schools, then most certainly this district's student population is direly in need of much more positive teacher role models.
I say let 'em walk!
"The students in this community deserve a safe, inviting and challenging learning environment. I intend to make sure that is provided regardless of the outcome of our current negotiations."
Springboro school officials plan to ensure that the district remains open, regardless of whether the Springboro Education Association files a 10-day strike notice, according to superintendent Todd Petrey in the May 30 Springboro Sun.
"Unless I am instructed otherwise...I will proceed with an agressive and proactive contingency plan to ensure that Springboro Schools remain open."

Now that the classifed union school employees have reached an agreement, we can feel confident that our children's best interest will be served with bus transportation, food services, and many other support services that make our children's classroom education safe and comfortable. Our classified union and our board are to be commended for all their hard work and extra time invested in the negotiations process doing what's good for our school children and community.
Janet Harrison Carney

Stowe, VT

#25464 Jun 28, 2013
Boooooooooooofukinwhooooooooo, Leon hates Jew, black and everything whack. Leon Harrison smokes crack as a matter of fact because it is good for his heart problem. I love my brother Leon Harrison, we have sexy time daily... Ou son looks like his daddy/uncle.
Questions More Questions

Cincinnati, OH

#25465 Jun 29, 2013
Tell the Truth wrote:
If you ever want to know what the Clearcreek Firefighters do, then you need to watch them slide down a flight of steps at station 22 on East Lytle Road, while riding a backboard, an EMS device to immobilize patients. This was captured on video and they posted it on You Tube!
Copy and paste...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1r9Q0rm0IbcXX
Shouldn't the Clearcreek Firefighters, for safety reasons,
reminded folks "don't try this at home?"
Questions More Questions

Cincinnati, OH

#25466 Jun 29, 2013
No Fire Levy In November wrote:
Here is what the Firefighters’ Union stands for:
http://www.firefightersforobama.com/index.cfm ...
Keep Watching - Stand Strong - Speak Up For Responsible
Spending in Local Government!
Send A Message To Clearcreek Township Trustees, Mr. Wade and Mr. Gabbard, to join with Trustee Mrs. Anspach and Just Say No to Mr. Kidd's request for an Additional Fire Levy on the ballot in November 2013. No New Money Needed for the CCFD! So, Why the deceit?
So, why the deceit? Just say No to additional fire levy taxes and No to tax and spend lovers in local government leadership.
questions more questions

Dayton, OH

#25467 Jun 29, 2013
Which One wrote:
<quoted text>
One more question. did you forget to answer which one
came first the chicken or the egg?
I guess I did forget to answer your fine question about the chicken or the egg. I was more concerned with "Why did the chicken cross the road? "
questions more questions

Dayton, OH

#25468 Jun 29, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
lol!!!!!!!!!! Not very clever on miller's behalf of being attacked, just more typical hypocritical more hypocritical thinking for sure.
ding ding ding ding ding..winner winner chicken dinner!!! that was the whole point of why I responded that way. I am very glad you caught it.. You may pass go and collect 200 dollars.
Enjoy your weekend.

Questions More Questions

Cincinnati, OH

#25469 Jun 29, 2013
<quoted text>
ding ding ding ding ding..winner winner chicken dinner!!! that was the whole point of why I responded that way. I am very glad you caught it.. You may pass go and collect 200 dollars.
Enjoy your weekend.
Really??? the whole point??? What Really IS the whole point???

Such arrogance! Who gave YOU monopoly of "the whole point" to throw out on others to "catch?"

Isn't it true that YOU are just another little "speck" of opinion in the wide diversity of our Springboro community "points of opinion?"
Winner of the Game

Cincinnati, OH

#25470 Jun 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Enjoy your weekend.
ding ding ding ding ding..goes the firebell calling out to taxpayers "help CCFD help you" become the highest taxes township of them all!!!

Don't get burned by Ed Wades cry that he knows better how to spend our money, than those of us who earn our money!

YES WE CAN win the fireman's game of boro emotional
blackmail and SAVE ourselves from a 93% fire levy tax increase.
No additional November fire levy is needed to fund our public safety services provided by the CCFD! Just Say NO to Tax and Spend Lovers Mr. Wade and Mr.Kidd! Elections come and go...but Winners who just say NO are forever!
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25471 Jun 29, 2013
2000 plus kids are not getting the education the taxpayers are currently funding.

Too many teachers are spending time abrogating their teaching responsibilities for more trendy modes of education. If the children can learn watching videos presented by a teacher why do we need a high paid teacher in the classroom?

If group worksheets can help our children teach themselves why do we need a high paid teacher in the classroom?

If Hollywood movies that require 3 class periods can replace actual teacher instruction, why do we need high paid teachers in the classroom?

If we can go five years in the junior high with 80% of the kids failing the OAA basic math tests, how much worse would a certified temporary teacher be?

If we are really concerned about the children first, why did a junior high principal with 80% of her students failing basic math on the OAA tests for five years think reducing actual teacher instruction by 18 days per school year would help?( it didn't 80% still got a D or F on the OAA test)

2000 plus children are not getting the education the taxpayers are currently funding, why would anyone think paying more to the same people increase our children's learning
First Things First

Cincinnati, OH

#25472 Jun 29, 2013
What people need and what they want may be very different. Teachers are those who educate the people to appreciate the things they need.
(Elbert Hubbard)

Since about 1983 when the State's collective bargaining laws gave teachers the right to walk out on our children's classroom education needs, only the Ohio Education Association "thinks paying more to the same people increases our children's learning." That's not true; Ohio has increased per student spending while test scores have remained flat. Neither is it true that smaller class sizes have proven to be effective in student performance. Some people get so entrenched in the old philosophy of status quo business as usual that it’s tough to get them to think whether or not something is going to help the kids.
That’s why a children’s first budget makes sense for teachers because investment is made in the tools and equipment necessary to help teachers do what they do best – teach our children. Children’s first budgeting provides all of the resources to educate children first, while investing in highly qualified staff at every level, striving for the highest standards of achievement and professionalism.
Children first budgeting works!
First Things First

Cincinnati, OH

#25473 Jun 29, 2013
There is a lot being said of personal opinions "in the news" and "in the board meetings" about our reform minded board members leadership and our
school board's unanimous vote for our children's first budget. As "one voice-one vote" in our school district, I believe in our rights to voice oppossing views, but strongly believe we should keep a fair and balanced view in respect of one another, and celebrate together our successes that are due. Why not rally for our school children and community? Springboro is a great place to live, work, learn, and play sports!

RALLY FOR OUR CHILDREN!
Finding ways to methodically advance student achievement should always be everyone’s goal. Implementing academic reforms will, for example, reduce the present need for so many of our students needing to take college remediation courses. This, of course, will immediately translate into money saved for parents whose students attend Ohio’s colleges. And, in order to meet this challenge of higher academic quality, the current school Board of Education and District are, or already have plans to, invest heavily in technology, professional development for teachers, new textbooks, as well as new computers for every teacher, plus much more.
All this being said, there is a lot of work yet to be done to assure you (parents) that we will strive to do more than meet the minimum state requirements. The current Board of Education is dedicated to being advocates for every student striving to push the bar higher than other districts.
Some say there’s no need to change because our district achieved an “excellent with Distinction” rating for our most recent school year. But we live in a world that is dynamic, a world of ever-evolving expectations and realities that require our constant attention. What once was an acceptable level of achievement is now a relic of the past that will ill serve our children and our taxpayers in the future.
As parents, we all desire that our children be provided the best we can afford. We constantly challenge our children with the hope that doing so will help prepare them for the world and better lives than we ourselves enjoy. We are also highly cognizant of the importance of true learning and greatly value education and the promise of what it may bring.
Everyone in the school community has more in common than they have differences. Let us meld that commonality to push forth a better school system than we enjoy today. We owe it to our children. Let us come together to push for real achievement and higher standards that we currently demand.
http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0 ...

Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25474 Jun 29, 2013
If teachers at the junior high teach 7 minutes less per period to our children over the course of 175 teaching days that would amount to 1225 minutes per year.

O)r at regular 49 minute class periods, that would be 25 days of less teaching per year for out children.

25 days LESS instruction in core courses

5 weeks of LESS instruction in core courses

We still have 80% garnering no better than a D or F on the OAA tests each year, just like the previous four.

Apparently, 5 weeks less instruction time from our teachers did not harm our children.

Maybe we are as low as we can go.

Do the teachers and the junior high principal ( who for whatever reason was promoted ) appear to really care?

If they did care, would they have done anything different in the past five years other than reduce instruction time for the children?
Question Policy

Euclid, OH

#25475 Jun 29, 2013
From the proposed changes to Policy 8800:

"Districts are required to hold an educational program pertaining to the United States Constitution on September 17th of each year, Constitution Day. Whenever September 17th falls on a Saturday, Sunday,or holiday the Constitution Day observance shall be held during the preceding or following week.
1. The program shall emphasize the original text, intent, and context of the Constitution and/or The
Bill of Rights
2. The program shall include grade appropriate presentations using content from the National
Center for Constitutional Studies, the Institute on the Constitution, Hillsdale College, The Bill of
Rights Institute, the National Archives, the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, or other
recognized authority on the Constitution as determined by the district’s Curriculum Director."

I strongly encourage you to research the above listed sources of information the BOE is proposing. At first, I thought some in the community had a "the sky is falling mentality" regarding the policy change and the tie in to the classes being taught in our community this summer. After doing some checking into these sources, I think we should be very concerned as a community the direction the BOE is taking.

Also, why are community groups being asked to pay a usage fee and according to Dr. Kohls, the groups teaching the Constitution courses this summer are not? In my mind this is a minor point, but a valid point none the less.
Springboro Taxpayer

Cincinnati, OH

#25476 Jun 29, 2013
Quiet Teacher wrote:
Although I would love to comment on the recent teacher complaint, I will not.
As a Boro HS teacher with more than 15 years of experience, I fully support the School Board and in private, most of the teachers do as well.
A few teachers are attempting to hijack the District for selfish economic gain. We do not need another levy.
Everyone benefits when even one takes the time to offer a word of appreciation and encouragment. Special thanks are due to all our school and community workers keeping Springboro both safe and affordable for all our families and a great place to live, work, learn and play sports! Thank You!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 22 hr south amboy 20,699
My friends, we and President Tump... Sat The Old Cold Warrior 1
Ladies, here is your romantic chance! Dec 2 Literature Lover 7
"Trump-hating deranged will not change" Dec 1 AmericanWoman 3
M4M tugfest for the Duke Nov 30 nibbles 1
621 Upland Cir West Carrollton Nov 30 CobraCommander 4
News Ex-Lebanon Correctional officers indicted in st... (Sep '13) Nov 30 robertgehm 19

Springboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages