Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31911 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

sheep

Springboro, OH

#25370 Jun 25, 2013
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely agree...can't wait to get that extremist out of our district, and with any luck out of our community completely!
Wanna talk extreme? I am all for the teaching of constitutional history, but is this what the school district should be promoting? Just received an email about this from the schools. On the surface it looks good, but when you dig a little deeper....

Springboro Schools is offering two unique educational opportunities on the US Constitution this summer. Beginning July 9th and continuing for 12 weeks, we invite you to attend the highly acclaimed Constitution Course presented by the Institute On The Constitution. Also, on August 3rd, we invite you to attend the Making of America Seminar sponsored by the National Center For Constitutional Studies.

The National Center for Constitutional Studies, formerly the Freemen Institute, is a conservative, religious-themed constitutionalist organization, founded by Latter-Day Saint political writer Cleon Skousen.

According to the NCCS, the founding of the United States was a divine miracle.[1] As such, the NCCS worldview and program are based on three major pillars:(1) understanding the divine guidance that has allowed the United States to thrive; (2) rejecting the tyrannical and sinful nature of the modern U.S. federal government; and (3) preparing for a divine reckoning that will bring down America's government and possibly tear society as we know it asunder, thus allowing those with sound principles to rebuild the republic.[1]

I thought this BOE was all for openness and wanted discussion of both sides of issues? Yeah right.
Hold On

Girard, OH

#25371 Jun 25, 2013
R U Sure wrote:
<quoted text>R U S-U-R-E?

Why will the teachers be advising parents to keep their kids out of school? If teachers go out on strike, then they are no longer employed by the school and their advice would not be credible, so why would they want to disrupt our kid's classrooms and waste our school tax dollars? If this is the attitude of revenge against our children first from our union teachers in every kids' classroom, then isn't it is past time for union politics to be thrown out of Springboro schools?
Because the subs will not have a vested interest in our kids/district. They will be thrown into the building with little knowledge of anything about our school system.
Another View

Piqua, OH

#25372 Jun 25, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Wanna talk extreme? I am all for the teaching of constitutional history, but is this what the school district should be promoting? Just received an email about this from the schools. On the surface it looks good, but when you dig a little deeper....
Springboro Schools is offering two unique educational opportunities on the US Constitution this summer. Beginning July 9th and continuing for 12 weeks, we invite you to attend the highly acclaimed Constitution Course presented by the Institute On The Constitution. Also, on August 3rd, we invite you to attend the Making of America Seminar sponsored by the National Center For Constitutional Studies.
The National Center for Constitutional Studies, formerly the Freemen Institute, is a conservative, religious-themed constitutionalist organization, founded by Latter-Day Saint political writer Cleon Skousen.
According to the NCCS, the founding of the United States was a divine miracle.[1] As such, the NCCS worldview and program are based on three major pillars:(1) understanding the divine guidance that has allowed the United States to thrive; (2) rejecting the tyrannical and sinful nature of the modern U.S. federal government; and (3) preparing for a divine reckoning that will bring down America's government and possibly tear society as we know it asunder, thus allowing those with sound principles to rebuild the republic.[1]
I thought this BOE was all for openness and wanted discussion of both sides of issues? Yeah right.
You Betcha this school district should be promoting the study of the United States Constitution, beginning with it's roots grounded deeply in the teaching philosophy of the founding fathers values systems, upon which our great America the Beautiful was built.
A nation is just as strong as its foundational values; and teaching an understanding and appreciation of that foundation is the responsibility of our school district and a privilege of all citizens to attend. God Bless America! And May God Bless all the little children and their Moms and Dads (including sheep and the the board members)!
sheep

Springboro, OH

#25373 Jun 25, 2013
Another View wrote:
<quoted text>
You Betcha this school district should be promoting the study of the United States Constitution, beginning with it's roots grounded deeply in the teaching philosophy of the founding fathers values systems, upon which our great America the Beautiful was built.
A nation is just as strong as its foundational values; and teaching an understanding and appreciation of that foundation is the responsibility of our school district and a privilege of all citizens to attend. God Bless America! And May God Bless all the little children and their Moms and Dads (including sheep and the the board members)!
And I agree the schools should be promoting that study. But there are two distinct views of constitutional history. And it is the role of the BOE to show both views, not just one. Aren't we trying to educate free thinkers? Or just thinkers the way the BOE wants?
Got a good grip

Piqua, OH

#25374 Jun 25, 2013
Hold On wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the subs will not have a vested interest in our kids/district. They will be thrown into the building with little knowledge of anything about our school system.
"vested interest?"

what in the world does that mean, other than the SEA indoctrination of social justice for teachers who are "victims"
of their own profession, being forced to work in our great schools with job security, great wages and benefits; that ost of the the private sector workers that I know can never dram of realizing in the real world of the school of hard knocks?

Since the SEA indoctrination of "politics of personal destruction" against Springboro taxpayers is the priority in our children's classroms, then I say good riddance of the "union teacher in my kid's classroom." All good educators know when it is time to "wipe the slate clean" and just start over with a new classroom teacher philosphy of children first with our school tax dollars!
After all, it is easier to train NEW teachers to "Fit" with our school districts reform-minded agenda for our children's 21st century education, than it is to teach "old dogs new tricks of the trade." .... and at a great cost savings to taxpayers, other than this continuous stream of false accusations against our school district in the union lawyers efforts to line their wallets with our children's classroms school tax dollars.
Get a good grip

Piqua, OH

#25375 Jun 25, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
And I agree the schools should be promoting that study. But there are two distinct views of constitutional history. And it is the role of the BOE to show both views, not just one. Aren't we trying to educate free thinkers? Or just thinkers the way the BOE wants?
Ah...there you go again sheep, trying to pull the "wool" over the eyes of those with vision broader than your tunnel vision.
Your OEA (and no other way) "rightful" opinions should not be an occasion for "open combat" waging war against others who have differing opinions. Not every old outdated collective bargaining right(on which taxpayers and union activists might hold strong opinions and disagree)is of primary importance.
Most of us who know the cult-like OEA sheep and sheep followers can clearly see, by their actions, that they are "simple" people,
(and often mean-spirited, potty-mouthed people) who are overtly pugnacious or incurrably argumentative about practically everything! These are petty and insignificant "personal" political disagreements, which should be set aside or settled, based
upon the common interest that we all have of doing what's good for our school children and community as a whole.
In my (rightful) opinion as a blogger on this discussion board, it is simply WRONG to let a contrary opinion of the good work (in the best interest of all school children) being done by our school board, to be aired by disrespectful OEA sheep and followers, WITHOUT any challenge or correction. What bad role models are these for good citizenship?
If my opinion is wrong, then OEA sheep and followers, should
PROVE ME WRONG and stop fighting against Springboro taxpayers and our children first budgeting school board representatives.
parent

Girard, OH

#25377 Jun 25, 2013
heard firsthand wrote:
Heard this weekend, firsthand, from a 'boro teacher that they will be going on strike. The teachers will be advising parents to keep their kids out of school the first week as 'temps' will be brought in to teach. She also said kids may be placed in the lunch room all day if not enough temps are found.
I am a parent of children in Springboro schools. If anyone in our household is contacted, in any way, by teacher(s) advising to keep our kids out of school, I will simultaneously contact all five board members, Mr. Todd Petrey and Mr. Scott Maney to demand the teacher(s) be fired immediately.
Real Questions

Piqua, OH

#25378 Jun 25, 2013
parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a parent of children in Springboro schools. If anyone in our household is contacted, in any way, by teacher(s) advising to keep our kids out of school, I will simultaneously contact all five board members, Mr. Todd Petrey and Mr. Scott Maney to demand the teacher(s) be fired immediately.
I am a parent as well and have never heard a teacher advise anyone to keep their children out of school. That being said, I have heard parents talking about it. If the strike does happen and there are substitutes in the schools next year I (and my children) have a few questions that need to be answered before I blindly lead my kids to school (I would think you would want to know the answers to some of these questions as well):
Who will be teaching the kids?
What are their backgrounds (and have background checks been performed)?
Where did they come from (and how is our district paying them)?
Do they have teaching experience?
Can we trust them with our kids?
What will they be teaching?
Will the kids be prepared for AP tests that are scheduled at the end of the year?
Will the kids be prepared to take ACT/SAT tests?
Will there be a Panther Kick-off for the incoming Freshman?
Will there be access to counselors so HS students can get their schedules and then schedule PSEO classes on time?
Will the elementary schools have gifted teachers?
Will the Special Ed. students receive the care they need?
Really

Piqua, OH

#25379 Jun 25, 2013
Real Questions wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a parent as well and have never heard a teacher advise anyone to keep their children out of school. That being said, I have heard parents talking about it. If the strike does happen and there are substitutes in the schools next year I (and my children) have a few questions that need to be answered before I blindly lead my kids to school (I would think you would want to know the answers to some of these questions as well):
Will the kids be prepared for AP tests that are scheduled at the end of the year?
Will there be access to counselors so HS students can get their schedules and then schedule PSEO classes on time?
Will there be teachers at the Springboro Junior High that can protect our children from rape in the bathroom? This protection wasn't offered by our current SJHS staff, as a matter of public record reports. Public school teachers are not union education gods, they are just professionals choosing to teach children, whether or not they are unionized, there will be none perfect, no not one. What we do really know in Springboro is that our union teachers who will walk out on our children's classroom, just to hold parents hostage for MORE greed for MONEY, do not have our
children's best interest as the teaching priority; and do we really want to "pay off" teachers who engage in this disrespectful emotional blackmail?
Isn't it time for Springboro taxpayers to "cut the cord" on these whiney, overly dependent on greed, not need, school employees who are growing old in our school district, refusing to grow up and accept the changes that professional adults have to accept in
today's work place of "grown-ups."
Teaching is much more than Applause! Applause! You're Wonderful!
Really

Piqua, OH

#25380 Jun 25, 2013
Real Questions wrote:
<quoted text>
Will the parents of Springboro United for Responsible Education
really care enough about OUR CHILDREN FIRST to contact Mr. Maney and the Springboro Education Association, protesting AGAINST the SEA refusal of the Board of Education's offer of job security in our great schools with good pay and benfits in a safe and comfortable environment.
If you Really care about our children first, then why not
Rally for Our Children first and tell the SEA to tear down their wall of greed and hostility against Springboro taxpayers and let's all work together to enjoy our success!
Just Saulsome

Piqua, OH

#25381 Jun 25, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Did you know? Board of Education president Kelly Kohls is not only irresponsible with our money, she is irresponsible with her own as well...leading to foreclosure and lawsuits against her and her husband.
Read it for yourself!
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/loca...
http://www.co.warren.oh.us/clerkofcourt/searc...
Search for Case Number 10CV78382
Now she is parading around on the tea party circuit talking to everyone that will listen about all the success of the "our agenda first" board. Leave our children in the dust, demean our teachers and principals to the point they flock in record numbers. Then, push all things controversial like anti-labor rhetoric and introducing guns to our children's classrooms.
It's incredible that someone who cannot even manage their own personal affairs is allowed to thrust her political agenda upon our community. This community is a great place to live, and people like Kelly Kohls as well as her sidekicks Jim Rigano and David Petroni are trying to destroy it. Who could be surprised though, since their aim is merely political and their children don't even attend our district?!
Further, now that her children are grown and out of the district, she wants to divert more of the limited funds available to local public school districts. Instead, they would be given as "vouchers" to families that would like to use our tax dollars to send their kids to private, usually religious, schools of their choosing. Guess who runs these schools? Yes indeed...the regulars from the Tea Party gang including Kohls herself! Ethical? I sure don't think so...
And when this happens, what is to become of our children who attend the public school? Their teachers will all be gone because other districts pay a fair wage while our board cuts them left and right. The principals will all retire when they reach that point because they don't "fit" with the school board's lunatic fringe.
The news sites are just full of her absurdity:
http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/local/warren/con...
Join me in sending Kelly a clear message that her baggage and financial burden is not welcome in our community - SAY NO TO KOHLS IN NOVEMBER! Vote for a candidate that you feel will restore balance and decency to our board of education.
SAY NO TO AGENDA FIRST KOHLS!!
aw, come on now! For S-U-R-E, are't you telling us to:

Vote for a candidate, who will the SEA agenda of increased taxes first, like our has been a high school principal, or has been a union officer, who will fight against using our school tax dollars in the best interest of job security for our classroom teachers, new textbooks for our children classrooms, new school buses for our children's safety, school building and properties maintenance for a comfortable environment, new computers for teachers and wireless services for classrooms and much more for children's future ........
but wait! Now we are being encouraged on this blog to "cast aside" all these accomplishments (among many others) that our board members have achieved, just since January 2012, when David Petroni and Jim Rigano joined Kelly Kohls as board representatives?
And why would we want to cast aside the success of Kelly Kohls' leadership to vote for a candidate who thinks the Value of our kid's education lies in the dollar signs of the union school employees paychecks?
Don't you mean to encourage others to join in voting for someone like, oh I don't know, but maybe Ron Malone, who just happens to "fit" in with the SEA and agrees with your business as usual agenda of "putting the emphasis back on the VALUE of the educator, as first priority, when making decisions on spending taxpayers money; leaving behind our children first priority.
Betcha think that would be just saulsome for all!

Real Questions

Piqua, OH

#25382 Jun 25, 2013
Support Our Success wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't the school community of employees join with the whole community of Springboro taxpaying voters and build up our children's future by supporting our successful "unanimously board approved" children's first budget?
Check out this website to learn why a Children's First Budget makes sense for teachers........
Please send this great news to everyone who cares about our school children and our community!

http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...
Read My Lips

Piqua, OH

#25383 Jun 25, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Did you know? Board of Education president Kelly Kohls is not only irresponsible with our money, she is irresponsible with her own as well...leading to foreclosure and lawsuits against her and her husband.
Read it for yourself!
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/loca...
http://www.co.warren.oh.us/clerkofcourt/searc...
Search for Case Number 10CV78382
Now she is parading around on the tea party circuit talking to everyone that will listen about all the success of the "our agenda first" board. Leave our children in the dust, demean our teachers and principals to the point they flock in record numbers. Then, push all things controversial like anti-labor rhetoric and introducing guns to our children's classrooms.
It's incredible that someone who cannot even manage their own personal affairs is allowed to thrust her political agenda upon our community. This community is a great place to live, and people like Kelly Kohls as well as her sidekicks Jim Rigano and David Petroni are trying to destroy it. Who could be surprised though, since their aim is merely political and their children don't even attend our district?!
Further, now that her children are grown and out of the district, she wants to divert more of the limited funds available to local public school districts. Instead, they would be given as "vouchers" to families that would like to use our tax dollars to send their kids to private, usually religious, schools of their choosing. Guess who runs these schools? Yes indeed...the regulars from the Tea Party gang including Kohls herself! Ethical? I sure don't think so...
And when this happens, what is to become of our children who attend the public school? Their teachers will all be gone because other districts pay a fair wage while our board cuts them left and right. The principals will all retire when they reach that point because they don't "fit" with the school board's lunatic fringe.
The news sites are just full of her absurdity:
http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/local/warren/con...
Join me in sending Kelly a clear message that her baggage and financial burden is not welcome in our community - SAY NO TO KOHLS IN NOVEMBER! Vote for a candidate that you feel will restore balance and decency to our board of education.
SAY NO TO AGENDA FIRST KOHLS!!
Just Say No to Forced Unionism and OEA Indoctrination of our Kids!

Just say NO NEW TAXES !

Just say THANK YOU to Kelly Kohls, David Petroni, and
Jim Rigano for helping make Springboro a way better place to live, work, learn, and play sports!

Rigano Say Thank You
outsider

Dayton, OH

#25384 Jun 25, 2013
Real Questions wrote:
<quoted text>
Check out this website to learn why a Children's First Budget makes sense for teachers........
Please send this great news to everyone who cares about our school children and our community!
http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...
I wish I was smart enough to write new and useful comments, and not just have to copy-paste the same stupid comment every few days.

Oh yeah.... nevermind.
Just Thinking

Piqua, OH

#25385 Jun 25, 2013
outsider wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I was smart enough to write new and useful comments, and not just have to copy-paste the same stupid comment every few days.
Oh yeah.... nevermind.
Don't worry -- keep trying to open your mind to new ideas, even when they challenge your "wishful thinking."

"A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."
(Edward R. Murrow)
Going Green

Piqua, OH

#25386 Jun 25, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Where can we read the court case, the union hall bulletin board?
My humble guess would be that this case will sit around for harassment sake until November, when it will quietly disappear.
Allegations are anything a lawyer can dream up to write on paper, they do not have to be true, just presented.
I wonder who is paying for her attorneys?
and anything that lawyers can dream up to write on paper means more greenbacks in the lawyers wallet and isn't money what it's all about? same as DDN, just because it is written in the news to stir up more dollars that controversial issues bring, doesn't mean that it's true.
Staff took money

Huntersville, NC

#25388 Jun 25, 2013
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely agree...can't wait to get that extremist out of our district, and with any luck out of our community completely!
Vote for Doug Wiedeman, the union's favorite son.
Not that crazy

Huntersville, NC

#25389 Jun 25, 2013
Support Our Success wrote:
<quoted text>
"Where the board's at right now is wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility," Petrey said, "that's what I stand for." (quote from June 2012 DDN news article).
Why are Springboro parents (including David Bowman, Lisa Babb, Stephanie Bindemann, Tammy Grigsby, Sarah Jobe) opposing academic achievement and fiscal responsibility as the winning agenda for our children's future?
Because that would require actual job performance and more legitimate teaching. Showing up showing movies, passing out worksheets, directing kids to study island no longer would be acceptable.
Budget first education

Piqua, OH

#25390 Jun 25, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Will the parents of Springboro United for Responsible Education
really care enough about OUR CHILDREN FIRST to contact Mr. Maney and the Springboro Education Association, protesting AGAINST the SEA refusal of the Board of Education's offer of job security in our great schools with good pay and benfits in a safe and comfortable environment.
If you Really care about our children first, then why not
Rally for Our Children first and tell the SEA to tear down their wall of greed and hostility against Springboro taxpayers and let's all work together to enjoy our success!
First off negotiations require BOTH sides to work together. If an agreement wasn't made then BOTH sides are to blame. If you know the details of how the SEA and BOE modified their proposals i would love to hear it. If you dont know then how can you blame one side over the other? Secondly, Springboro residents are equally as greedy as the next person (including teachers) everyone wants a job that will be rewarding and a paycheck that increases over the years. Lastly, I could quote most blogs on this site where the hostility is COMPLETELY on the BOE side!!!
Come-on

Springboro, OH

#25392 Jun 26, 2013
Teaching the constitution. Great idea. I have carried a copy of the constitution for over 20 years since it was encouraged by a college professor that long ago. Perhaps if Jim Rigano would not have learned about the constitution until he was in his 50's (his words at a recent board meeting not mine) he would learn the following.

The constitution protects us from the government. As elected officials the BOE is government. They have the same duty to protect due process, and rule of law as do the federal elected officials the BOE or its surrogates love to rail against.

The BOE is no different than any other corrupt government body drunk with its own sense of power and forcing its idealogy on their subjects while hiding behind executive sessions, and puedo transparency. Kids first agenda, you have to be kidding. Like Just Watching repeatedly points out. Teach quality education to every student and work hard so no student slips between the cracks, much less the 2,000 that appear to be slipping behind.

May the constitution save us from this group of zealots masquarading as "for the tax paying people" while being elitist to the 10th power.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 min PastorPasteur 20,183
Most of us reluctant Republicans... 10 hr Leon Harrison 2
We await the "7-11" apologies to Trump... Apr 28 The Hack Checker 1
Glenn Beck & Crew get more deranged and strange! Apr 28 The Hack Checker 1
Butch drake Apr 28 Tamra 2
don't waste your time or gas applying at Fuyao. (Jan '15) Apr 28 Insider 76
Mart Crowe (May '12) Apr 27 yourfriendjayne 70
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages