Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,521

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Another View

Piqua, OH

#25347 Jun 22, 2013
homeschooler wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not really put your children first and teach them yourself? How is that for fiscal responsibility? Failing to parent and pushing that responsibility onto the innocent taxpayer is inexcusable. This board understands that. Why don't you people wake up and start doing what is right for the kids?
Have you found this website blog that educates springboro of the exciting things happening in our school district and community?
Our Springboro Board of Education understand that it takes our school community and our Springboro community as a whole working together to ensure that the chilldren of the Springboro community receive an excellent education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending. It's Unanimous! School Board Adopts Children's First Budget!
Check out this website to learn why a Children's First Budget makes sense for teachers........

http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...
Get Real

Piqua, OH

#25348 Jun 22, 2013
Craziness wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you have a masters degree with 10 years teaching experience and you are ok with the beginning salary of apx.$34K? Because no matter what your experience or level of education, that is what they want to start you at for pay. I think you are just as crazy as they are!!
It appears that the SEA concerns regarding Springboro taxpayers are not "which ones of you are the craziest" but instead, "which ones of you are crazy enough to vote more of your hard earned money for school union employees big pay increases!"

Please go to the Springboro Transparency Project on the schoool website and see for your self the data on pay and benefits.
You can also go to the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) and see the data on Springboro Median Household income over this same period of time.
Look at ODE, you will see that since 2008 the Springboro median household income (1.5 wage earners working 12 months) went up $1,500 (08'-12') in these 4 years. According to ODE the median Springboro Teacher salary went up $5,444 from 08'-12'. You may want to compare this to the data on the Springboro Transparency project for individual information.
outsider

Dayton, OH

#25349 Jun 22, 2013
Median is just the middle. It doesn't mean a lot. The median of {4,4,4,5,99} is 4. the average is 23.2 If one of the 4's is removed, perhaps to move from part time to full time elsewhere, and that posistion isn't refilled... the set becomes {4,4,5,99} and the median becomes 4.5 with an average of 28

-----

Did anyone else notice that the healthcare cost page is actually from the previous year, and not the most recent school year? I know some of the data doesn't match from 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 .....
Ed Snowden

Dayton, OH

#25350 Jun 22, 2013
One Chance - Fat Chance wrote:
Yes, I will drop by some Wednesday afternoon in July while on a break from work and see exactly how hard they are working. Oh, that's right they will not be there -they will in the middle of a THREE MONTH VACATION!!!
Come to Hong Kong! The water's fine!
SpringBoro Taxpayer

Piqua, OH

#25351 Jun 22, 2013
homeschooler wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not really put your children first and teach them yourself? How is that for fiscal responsibility? Failing to parent and pushing that responsibility onto the innocent taxpayer is inexcusable. This board understands that. Why don't you people wake up and start doing what is right for the kids?
For S-U-R-E..."why don't you people wake up and start doing what is right for the kids?"

Some people get so entrenched in the old philosophy of status quo business as usual that itís tough to get them to think whether or not something is going to help the kids.

The OEA members/union activists are some of the worst people we will ever have to deal with as to radical social behavior; because to the OEA radicals they are at war with the taxpayers.
They have the destruction of America in their minds and they are terrible people because their ideology makes them corrosive. They openly use children to execute their maniacal plans for social progressive changes at the expense of society, and this defines their essence. Wars are won by taking away from the other side the will to continue fighting. The OEA attacks them directly hoping to rob them of their will to stand opposed to the unionís progressive agenda.

Springboro parents and all school district taxpayers must stand strong in oppositon to these OEA attacks against us and our school children's best interest; while encouraging our school district leaders and board representatives to stand firm in their commitment to ensure that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending.
Oktoberfest

Dayton, OH

#25352 Jun 22, 2013
Springboro Oktoberfest Sept 13 - 14. A portion of proceeds from event will go to the Wounded Warrior Project and the Springboro Community Assistance Center.
Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

#25353 Jun 23, 2013
Why Not This Time wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Lurker, I do remember the winning agenda of fiscal responsibility that brought Kelly Kohls to Victory as our most popular school board representative, receiving the most votes of those running in the November 2009 school board election campaign.
Since then, Mrs. Kohls has proven to Springboro taxpayers that fiscal responsibility was not just a "platform" to run on to get elected; but that it was a whole new philosophy of school district leadership and transparent budget reform.
Recently, our school board voted unanimously for our Children's First Budget, celebrating our success, and proving that fiscal responsibility is still the winning agenda for our school children and teachers! Springboro loves our children first!
So, why not run this time for re-election on the winning agenda of fiscal responsibility? Is this not the time for s-u-r-e to unite with all Springboro taxpayers, our school district leaders and board members, committed to working together, ensuring that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education affordable,
by carefully adhering to responsible spending?
"Where the board's at right now is wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility," Petrey said, "that's what I stand for." (quote from June 2012 DDN news article).

Why are Springboro parents (including David Bowman, Lisa Babb, Stephanie Bindemann, Tammy Grigsby, Sarah Jobe) opposing academic achievement and fiscal responsibility as the winning agenda for our children's future?
Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

#25354 Jun 23, 2013
homeschooler wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not really put your children first and teach them yourself? How is that for fiscal responsibility? Failing to parent and pushing that responsibility onto the innocent taxpayer is inexcusable. This board understands that. Why don't you people wake up and start doing what is right for the kids?
Why don't the school community of employees join with the whole community of Springboro taxpaying voters and build up our children's future by supporting our successful "unanimously board approved" children's first budget?
Even the last "sitting" tax and spend pro-levy lover board member, Don Miller, has seen the light of our boro bright future and agreed with our BOE reform-minded majority that children first budgeting works. Thank you, Mr. Miller, for saying YES! to our children's FIRST best interest, voting for the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility for our children's future.
Did You Know

Piqua, OH

#25355 Jun 23, 2013
Lurker wrote:
Will you both be willing to work for about $32K? That's the pay for any starting teachers in Springboro regardless of experience.
<quoted text>
Did you know that Springboro parent, David Bowman, rallied with FD wall of shame endorsers of Issue 3 in efforts of making Clearcreek Township FIRST in highest taxes; and is now vowing to vote for revenge in November...against our children first?
(David Bowman says to his "lovers of tax and spend" friends:
I am sad and disappointed with the outcome of the vote on the Springboro Firefighters Levy. I will work harder to change the outcome of this and other important votes coming in November. I am a fighter and I am not about to quit. I hope you'll join me in the fight.)

Why these continued attacks on local Taxpayers, Mr. Bowman...? We are your neighbors, why not support our success and help us help you provide YOUR children an excellent education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending. It doesn't take more money to keep our schools and our neighborhoods both safe and affordable.
Why be sad and disappointed... Aren't safe and affordable schools and neighborhoods for all our children and their families worth "fighting for?"
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#25356 Jun 23, 2013
that Dave Bowman! Trying to make his community safe and better. How dare he...
Did You Know wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know that Springboro parent, David Bowman, rallied with FD wall of shame endorsers of Issue 3 in efforts of making Clearcreek Township FIRST in highest taxes; and is now vowing to vote for revenge in November...against our children first?
(David Bowman says to his "lovers of tax and spend" friends:
I am sad and disappointed with the outcome of the vote on the Springboro Firefighters Levy. I will work harder to change the outcome of this and other important votes coming in November. I am a fighter and I am not about to quit. I hope you'll join me in the fight.)
Why these continued attacks on local Taxpayers, Mr. Bowman...? We are your neighbors, why not support our success and help us help you provide YOUR children an excellent education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending. It doesn't take more money to keep our schools and our neighborhoods both safe and affordable.
Why be sad and disappointed... Aren't safe and affordable schools and neighborhoods for all our children and their families worth "fighting for?"
Get Real

Piqua, OH

#25357 Jun 23, 2013
Lurker wrote:
that Dave Bowman! Trying to make his community safe and better. How dare he...
<quoted text>
how dare he...? lurking round the boro seeking to deceive with lies and false accusations all tied up in red ribbon hostility, complaining and whining, can't get no respect....

The OEA members/union activists are some of the worst people we will ever have to deal with as to radical social behavior; because to the OEA radicals they are at war with the taxpayers.
They have the destruction of America in their minds and they are terrible people because their ideology makes them corrosive. They openly use children to execute their maniacal plans for social progressive changes at the expense of society, and this defines their essence. Wars are won by taking away from the other side the will to continue fighting. The OEA attacks them directly hoping to rob them of their will to stand opposed to the unionís progressive agenda. lol... not a chance.
The Scoffer

Piqua, OH

#25358 Jun 23, 2013
Lurker wrote:
that Dave Bowman! Trying to make his community safe and better. How dare he...
<quoted text>
HIS community? How dare he try that with MY wallet! Where's the Respect!
Dave Bowman is a greedy, mean-spirited, anti-social neighbor
who wants to increase my fire levy taxes 93%!
Dave Bowman, PROVE ME WRONG! Call off your fight against your taxpaying neighbors who cannot afford your "help!"
Great

Dayton, OH

#25359 Jun 23, 2013
Oktoberfest wrote:
Springboro Oktoberfest Sept 13 - 14. A portion of proceeds from event will go to the Wounded Warrior Project and the Springboro Community Assistance Center.
It's good to finally get some good news on this blog.
Just Watching

Englewood, OH

#25360 Jun 23, 2013
Did you know? Board of Education president Kelly Kohls is not only irresponsible with our money, she is irresponsible with her own as well...leading to foreclosure and lawsuits against her and her husband.

Read it for yourself!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/loca...

http://www.co.warren.oh.us/clerkofcourt/searc...
Search for Case Number 10CV78382

Now she is parading around on the tea party circuit talking to everyone that will listen about all the success of the "our agenda first" board. Leave our children in the dust, demean our teachers and principals to the point they flock in record numbers. Then, push all things controversial like anti-labor rhetoric and introducing guns to our children's classrooms.

It's incredible that someone who cannot even manage their own personal affairs is allowed to thrust her political agenda upon our community. This community is a great place to live, and people like Kelly Kohls as well as her sidekicks Jim Rigano and David Petroni are trying to destroy it. Who could be surprised though, since their aim is merely political and their children don't even attend our district?!

Further, now that her children are grown and out of the district, she wants to divert more of the limited funds available to local public school districts. Instead, they would be given as "vouchers" to families that would like to use our tax dollars to send their kids to private, usually religious, schools of their choosing. Guess who runs these schools? Yes indeed...the regulars from the Tea Party gang including Kohls herself! Ethical? I sure don't think so...

And when this happens, what is to become of our children who attend the public school? Their teachers will all be gone because other districts pay a fair wage while our board cuts them left and right. The principals will all retire when they reach that point because they don't "fit" with the school board's lunatic fringe.

The news sites are just full of her absurdity:

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/local/warren/con...

Join me in sending Kelly a clear message that her baggage and financial burden is not welcome in our community - SAY NO TO KOHLS IN NOVEMBER! Vote for a candidate that you feel will restore balance and decency to our board of education.

SAY NO TO AGENDA FIRST KOHLS!!
heard firsthand

Dayton, OH

#25362 Jun 24, 2013
Heard this weekend, firsthand, from a 'boro teacher that they will be going on strike. The teachers will be advising parents to keep their kids out of school the first week as 'temps' will be brought in to teach. She also said kids may be placed in the lunch room all day if not enough temps are found.
Silly Season of Politics

Piqua, OH

#25363 Jun 24, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Did you know? Board of Education president Kelly Kohls is not only irresponsible with our money, she is irresponsible with her own as well...leading to foreclosure and lawsuits against her and her husband.
Read it for yourself!
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/loca...
http://www.co.warren.oh.us/clerkofcourt/searc...
Search for Case Number 10CV78382
Now she is parading around on the tea party circuit talking to everyone that will listen about all the success of the "our agenda first" board. Leave our children in the dust, demean our teachers and principals to the point they flock in record numbers. Then, push all things controversial like anti-labor rhetoric and introducing guns to our children's classrooms.
It's incredible that someone who cannot even manage their own personal affairs is allowed to thrust her political agenda upon our community. This community is a great place to live, and people like Kelly Kohls as well as her sidekicks Jim Rigano and David Petroni are trying to destroy it. Who could be surprised though, since their aim is merely political and their children don't even attend our district?!
Further, now that her children are grown and out of the district, she wants to divert more of the limited funds available to local public school districts. Instead, they would be given as "vouchers" to families that would like to use our tax dollars to send their kids to private, usually religious, schools of their choosing. Guess who runs these schools? Yes indeed...the regulars from the Tea Party gang including Kohls herself! Ethical? I sure don't think so...
And when this happens, what is to become of our children who attend the public school? Their teachers will all be gone because other districts pay a fair wage while our board cuts them left and right. The principals will all retire when they reach that point because they don't "fit" with the school board's lunatic fringe.
The news sites are just full of her absurdity:
http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/local/warren/con...
Join me in sending Kelly a clear message that her baggage and financial burden is not welcome in our community - SAY NO TO KOHLS IN NOVEMBER! Vote for a candidate that you feel will restore balance and decency to our board of education.
SAY NO TO AGENDA FIRST KOHLS!!
Run..... Babbsey....run
oh what fun it is to see...
bad babb for boro running
round and round her red ribbon tree..
all tied up in her small-self importance,
how much more hostile toward her neighbors can she be?
R U Sure

Piqua, OH

#25364 Jun 24, 2013
heard firsthand wrote:
Heard this weekend, firsthand, from a 'boro teacher that they will be going on strike. The teachers will be advising parents to keep their kids out of school the first week as 'temps' will be brought in to teach. She also said kids may be placed in the lunch room all day if not enough temps are found.
R U S-U-R-E?

Why will the teachers be advising parents to keep their kids out of school? If teachers go out on strike, then they are no longer employed by the school and their advice would not be credible, so why would they want to disrupt our kid's classrooms and waste our school tax dollars? If this is the attitude of revenge against our children first from our union teachers in every kids' classroom, then isn't it is past time for union politics to be thrown out of Springboro schools?
LOL in Boro

Piqua, OH

#25365 Jun 24, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Did you know? Board of Education president Kelly Kohls is not only irresponsible with our money, she is irresponsible with her own as well...leading to foreclosure and lawsuits against her and her husband.
Read it for yourself!
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/loca...
http://www.co.warren.oh.us/clerkofcourt/searc...
Search for Case Number 10CV78382
Now she is parading around on the tea party circuit talking to everyone that will listen about all the success of the "our agenda first" board. Leave our children in the dust, demean our teachers and principals to the point they flock in record numbers. Then, push all things controversial like anti-labor rhetoric and introducing guns to our children's classrooms.
It's incredible that someone who cannot even manage their own personal affairs is allowed to thrust her political agenda upon our community. This community is a great place to live, and people like Kelly Kohls as well as her sidekicks Jim Rigano and David Petroni are trying to destroy it. Who could be surprised though, since their aim is merely political and their children don't even attend our district?!
Further, now that her children are grown and out of the district, she wants to divert more of the limited funds available to local public school districts. Instead, they would be given as "vouchers" to families that would like to use our tax dollars to send their kids to private, usually religious, schools of their choosing. Guess who runs these schools? Yes indeed...the regulars from the Tea Party gang including Kohls herself! Ethical? I sure don't think so...
And when this happens, what is to become of our children who attend the public school? Their teachers will all be gone because other districts pay a fair wage while our board cuts them left and right. The principals will all retire when they reach that point because they don't "fit" with the school board's lunatic fringe.
The news sites are just full of her absurdity:
http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/local/warren/con...
Join me in sending Kelly a clear message that her baggage and financial burden is not welcome in our community - SAY NO TO KOHLS IN NOVEMBER! Vote for a candidate that you feel will restore balance and decency to our board of education.
SAY NO TO AGENDA FIRST KOHLS!!
...oh my! There you go again!
Why not try doing the "balanced and decent" thing for yourself, and get enrolled in sensitivity and anger/hostility management classes?
Your NEA/OEA/SEA baggage and financial burden of greed is not a good "fit" with Springboro taxpayers, who have generously supported our excellent schools and kids classroom education, year after year, and our schools are just getting better each year, according to our five-year budget forecast, and THANKS to our school board's recent unanimous vote for our children's first budget.
outsider

Dayton, OH

#25366 Jun 24, 2013
heard firsthand wrote:
Heard this weekend, firsthand, from a 'boro teacher that they will be going on strike. The teachers will be advising parents to keep their kids out of school the first week as 'temps' will be brought in to teach. She also said kids may be placed in the lunch room all day if not enough temps are found.
Not what I have heard from the handful of "'boro" teachers... but many teachers in other districts do believe it is immenent. The insurance change in the first round of negotiations (on the springboro website) does work out to a nearly 20% paycut from some teachers...
Nobama for this mama

Piqua, OH

#25367 Jun 24, 2013
outsider wrote:
<quoted text>
Not what I have heard from the handful of "'boro" teachers... but many teachers in other districts do believe it is immenent. The insurance change in the first round of negotiations (on the springboro website) does work out to a nearly 20% paycut from some teachers...
The affordable healthcare act cuts everybody's pay (and level of service) and union members who contribute so much of our school tax dollars to the grow biggger government and increase government entitlements will certainly be required by Springboro taxpayers to share in the "misery" of it all.
and it just keeps getting worse for Ohio taxpayers with the governor throwing us (and the next generation) into further debt to the Washington big "spenders" with his current push to expand obamacare's medicaid.
Misery loves company; so the the union members need to "buck up" and take a big old gulp of their own "medicine."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Dayton Mall shoe-thief shooter: 2 hr Within Reasob 18
Jerkwad Jabbar-shooting details emerge: 6 hr Gun Nut 1
Despite this Hannity Insanity: 7 hr The New Cool Warrior 6
Family Law Attorneys (May '14) 10 hr Calvin James 14
Diversity Perversity (Apr '11) Sun The New Cool Warrior 7
What happens when traffic cameras go away? Sun Fan of Leon The Man 3
Boro etiquette (Jul '13) Dec 17 near side 11
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:56 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:56PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals: Live Score, Highlights and Analysis
Bleacher Report 4:00 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals: Live Cincinnati Score and Analysis
NBC Sports 4:43 PM
Peyton Manning starting for Broncos vs Bengals - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 5:47 PM
Rex Spurns Browns for Xmas Plans
NBC Sports 5:49 PM
Andy Dalton throws pick-six as prime time nightmare continues