Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
24,741 - 24,760 of 31,176 Comments Last updated Monday
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25196
Jun 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Obamacare: Is a $2,000 deductible 'affordable?'
By Tami Luhby @Luhby June 13, 2013: 6:23 AM ET

Monthly Premium (Average($321

Annual Deductible (Medical)$2000

Primary Care Copay $45

Specialty Care Copay $65

Generic Medication Copay $25

Max Out of Pocket for Individual $6400

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/13/news/economy/... ?

The union may be well advised to negotiate thoughtfully and carefully in regards to healthcare.

If the taxpayers are going to be taking a large haircut on this healthcare deal, how likely do you think they are going to be in wanting to subsidize government employees health insurance costs?

Particularly when those government employees make more money per hour than they do.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25197
Jun 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Lurker wrote:
http://education.ohio.gov/geta ttachment/Topics/Data/Report-C ard/Ohio’s-New-School-Report-C ard/Simulated-grades-for-Ohio- s-New-Report-Card.xlsx.aspx
Seems like our new report card is pretty good!
If you think scoring 42% or so is good.

My expectations for our district are just a little higher than yours.
Really

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25198
Jun 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Lurker wrote:
http://education.ohio.gov/geta ttachment/Topics/Data/Report-C ard/Ohio’s-New-School-Report-C ard/Simulated-grades-for-Ohio- s-New-Report-Card.xlsx.aspx
Seems like our new report card is pretty good!
please explain why so many graduates of Springboro's Excellence with Distinction end up having to be forced to take college remedial classes, particularly in basic math functions.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25199
Jun 13, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
People aren't coming to hear Ms. Kohls talk because she is a BOE member? Hmmm.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_hJmTHiVFF4XX
I don't think anyone is coming to hear Ms. Kohls because she is a board member, but rather they are attracted to her message regarding transparency, accountability, and fiscal responsibility in our school system.

I don't know about you, but I can't name another board member on any other school district around here.

I take that back, I think that the teacher union lawyer, John Doll, is a board member for Centerville.
Talk about conflicts of interest and ethics, how do you negotiate with yourself in an honest fashion?

I wonder why Centerville is now having massive financial difficulties?

Too much of the fox guarding the hen house?
sheep

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25200
Jun 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone is coming to hear Ms. Kohls because she is a board member, but rather they are attracted to her message regarding transparency, accountability, and fiscal responsibility in our school system.
I don't know about you, but I can't name another board member on any other school district around here.
I take that back, I think that the teacher union lawyer, John Doll, is a board member for Centerville.
Talk about conflicts of interest and ethics, how do you negotiate with yourself in an honest fashion?
I wonder why Centerville is now having massive financial difficulties?
Too much of the fox guarding the hen house?
So they would come to listen to her because...she has a Phd in Nutrician? As you typically do, keep repeating your argument to yourself...it will sound true one of these days.

And as I would think Cenerville is set up...that he is one BOE member out of five? Boy, he must have a lot of power to do things all by himself. Kind of like our BOE, huh?

Keep deflecting as you acuse others of doing....still haven't answered the question of whether or not Ms. Kohls gets compensated for her talks.....I keep hearing these darn crickets......
sheep

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25201
Jun 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone is coming to hear Ms. Kohls because she is a board member, but rather they are attracted to her message regarding transparency, accountability, and fiscal responsibility in our school system.
I don't know about you, but I can't name another board member on any other school district around here.
I take that back, I think that the teacher union lawyer, John Doll, is a board member for Centerville.
Talk about conflicts of interest and ethics, how do you negotiate with yourself in an honest fashion?
I wonder why Centerville is now having massive financial difficulties?
Too much of the fox guarding the hen house?
Kind of adds a little more "credibility" to her talking because she is a member of the BOE, don't ya think? I guess her position doesn't really matter.....would ya run out to listen to her message if she were a baseball player? College student? Plumber? Yeah, I know - you certainly would.
Uno Voter

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25202
Jun 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of adds a little more "credibility" to her talking because she is a member of the BOE, don't ya think? I guess her position doesn't really matter.....would ya run out to listen to her message if she were a baseball player? College student? Plumber? Yeah, I know - you certainly would.
Actually, I did listen to her message even before she was a board member. Obviously, lots of others were listening, too. Those who liked what they heard so much that they brought her message to my neighborhood were pretty excited about her "credibility" to serve on our school board, doing what's right for our school children and community! Although in 2009, I had never met her, I knew that her message was exactly what our school district needed; and that's why I voted for her. I like the direction in which she is leading our school district, and I like her! I will certainly be voting ONLY for those running for school board member this November, who are committed to ensuring a quality classroom education for our school children while living within our children first budgeting means.
Twp resident

Girard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25203
Jun 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of adds a little more "credibility" to her talking because she is a member of the BOE, don't ya think? I guess her position doesn't really matter.....would ya run out to listen to her message if she were a baseball player? College student? Plumber? Yeah, I know - you certainly would.
Hmm? Two separate responses the same post an hour apart?
Could it be sheepie is feeling a bit ENVIOUS of Kelly Kohls' drive to change the face of education? Professional back-biters like sheepie even on their best days don't possess 1/100 of Kohls self-motivation, energy and perseverence.
Twp resident

Girard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25204
Jun 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Uno Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I did listen to her message even before she was a board member. Obviously, lots of others were listening, too. Those who liked what they heard so much that they brought her message to my neighborhood were pretty excited about her "credibility" to serve on our school board, doing what's right for our school children and community! Although in 2009, I had never met her, I knew that her message was exactly what our school district needed; and that's why I voted for her. I like the direction in which she is leading our school district, and I like her! I will certainly be voting ONLY for those running for school board member this November, who are committed to ensuring a quality classroom education for our school children while living within our children first budgeting means.
Testimony just like this coming from Boro's silent majority is exactly what's going to keep common sense Children First idealogy the dominant player in our board room.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25205
Jun 14, 2013
 
The union must be getting weak in the knees to be concerned about a woman with a few observations about how our school system is constructed.

The union and its supporters don't care for the sunlight being cast by Ms. Kohls on our system of education.
sheep

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25206
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Just Watching wrote:
The union must be getting weak in the knees to be concerned about a woman with a few observations about how our school system is constructed.
The union and its supporters don't care for the sunlight being cast by Ms. Kohls on our system of education.
Yep, deflect and demean.....boy are you a hypocrite.
Badd Babb Wolves

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25207
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

2

sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, deflect and demean.....boy are you a hypocrite.
Wolves (those who would devour the best interests of our children to satisfy their addictive appetites to power, control,and money) wearing the old outdated union label of SHEEP clothing, are the biggest hypocrites ever, and the most mean-spirited and unkind toward all their neighbors who are Boro Happy living and breathing outside their closely-knit "collective" union tent.
Beware the Badd Babb Wolves who are seen running around Boro with the Bowman Bandits of Unhappiness, spreading predictions of gloom and doom, brain drain, and in trembling fear for our future, unless we reverse to the status quo business as usual "failures" of our previous union first school board majority and former superintendent and former high school principal.
Thank Goodness, All we Boro Happy people are NOT like SHEEP, who have been led astray by those big badd babb wolves, seeking to devour "our children first!"
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25208
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, deflect and demean.....boy are you a hypocrite.
You need to get a better self image, speaking of yourself in that fashion is not healthy.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25209
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

4

sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of adds a little more "credibility" to her talking because she is a member of the BOE, don't ya think? I guess her position doesn't really matter.....would ya run out to listen to her message if she were a baseball player? College student? Plumber? Yeah, I know - you certainly would.
The short answer is yes. Perhaps you have not seen then multitude of people who flock to hear all sorts of people speak from a host of backgrounds.

The message of transparency in government, accountability in government, and fiscal responsibility in government resonates with people.

What happens when you keep the people in the dark is similar to what went on with the boosters for 20 years. Only after Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano began opening up the books was this issue brought into the sunlight and discovered.

When Mr. Malone shoved the reviews from the Warren County Educational Service Center in his desk rather than share them with the community we saw the dumbing down of the curriculum in the high school. The result being that parents were forced into paying for remedial classes in college for kids that should have been taught that material in high school.

When the chief district administrators cook the books and tell us they are woefully short of funds and need another $30,000,000 or everything will fail, that is not fiscal responsibility.

When roof are allowed to leak and buildings deteriorate because funds are diverted into less pressing needs, that is not fiscal responsibility.

When our children's safety in transportation is compromised because of the me first demands of adults, that is not fiscal responsibility.

When the chief administrative leaders in the high school combine with the well meaning but ill informed parents to foist off false financial crisis on the community, that is not fiscal responsibility.

When the union and its supporters demand the community spend more money than it allocates, that is not fiscal responsibility.

And you have the effrontery to ask why anyone would be interested in finding out more about these issues?

Come out in the light, you may find it refreshing.
sheep

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25210
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
The short answer is yes. Perhaps you have not seen then multitude of people who flock to hear all sorts of people speak from a host of backgrounds.
The message of transparency in government, accountability in government, and fiscal responsibility in government resonates with people.
What happens when you keep the people in the dark is similar to what went on with the boosters for 20 years. Only after Mr. Petroni and Mr. Rigano began opening up the books was this issue brought into the sunlight and discovered.
When Mr. Malone shoved the reviews from the Warren County Educational Service Center in his desk rather than share them with the community we saw the dumbing down of the curriculum in the high school. The result being that parents were forced into paying for remedial classes in college for kids that should have been taught that material in high school.
When the chief district administrators cook the books and tell us they are woefully short of funds and need another $30,000,000 or everything will fail, that is not fiscal responsibility.
When roof are allowed to leak and buildings deteriorate because funds are diverted into less pressing needs, that is not fiscal responsibility.
When our children's safety in transportation is compromised because of the me first demands of adults, that is not fiscal responsibility.
When the chief administrative leaders in the high school combine with the well meaning but ill informed parents to foist off false financial crisis on the community, that is not fiscal responsibility.
When the union and its supporters demand the community spend more money than it allocates, that is not fiscal responsibility.
And you have the effrontery to ask why anyone would be interested in finding out more about these issues?
Come out in the light, you may find it refreshing.
I feel good about myself, but thanks. Clearly you don't when you have to deflect and demean (in a cute way) once again. Hypocrites typically don't see themselves as one.

Actually I haven't seen a multitude of people flock to certain talks. I only attend ones that are "credible". Such as a BOE member traveling the state talking about the effects they have had on the schools system in which she (sorry, they) serve. Not a baseball player or medical doctor that talks about what he or she WOULD do to change the school system. Now if that medical doctor were giving a talk about heart transplants - probably something I would attend. Sheep follow many different things - doesn't mean they are credible things they are following.

When roofs are allowed to leak? Have you seen the condition of the schools lately? Both outside and inside? They are, quite frankly, horrible. More than the fiscal side of things, which is really the ONLY thing you belabor (and I am certainly not downplaying it), is the sense of community pride. and there certainly is none of that right now, sorry to tell you. the fiscal house may be in order, according to you, but the human element certainly is not.

And you better come in from all your sunshine, you may get a sunburn.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25211
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Why can't a nurse talk about the schools system? Are you saying only teaches are capable of speaking about the way our schools are run?

Roofs in the Junior High were allowed to leak for a number of years during the levy campaigns in hopes of engendering misguided and mislead support. Amazingly they found the money to fix them when the hopelessness of their cause became apparent. All that was accomplished without the additional new money the pro levy folks said we desperately needed to stay afloat.

There remain a number of unmet needs that slowly but surely are being worked through by judicious use of fiscal management and responsibility.

Certain factions would be just as happy to take all of the available monies for themselves then leave the children to once again sit in leaky classrooms, or on unsafe buses, utilizing outdated textbooks, lacking technology, or a host of other unmet needs our children continue to require.

I enjoy the sun and use sunscreen for protection against its harmful effects.

You should try it sometime, it certainly beats the darkside.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25212
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Lest we forget what is truly important and our entire reason for being in this conversation.

f you child received their OGT test results this past week the following will allow you to interpret the results more accurately.

Once again PROFICIENT = FAILURE

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Testing/Stat ...

Using the same scale Mr. Malone utilized to access the college courses our children took through the PSEO when constructing their GPA's for class rankings

A......95%
B.......85%
C......75%
D......63%
F......Below 63%

SCORE RANGES FOR PERFORMANCE LEVELS
Table provides the raw and scaled scores associated with each of the ¬performance levels on each test for the March 2013 administration.
– Score ranges for all subjects and performance levels

Subject.......... Correct Answers....% of Correct Answers.... Scaled Score

READING
Advanced.......... 37.5 – 48.0..........78%-100%........ . 448 – 554
Accelerated.......... 30.5 – 37.0.......... 64%-77%......... 429 – 447
PROFICIENT.......... 19.5 – 30.0 ..........41%-63%......... 400 – 428
Basic.......... 13.5 -19.0.......... 28%-40%.........383 – 399
Limited.......... 0.0 – 13.0..........0%-27%.........2 61 – 382

MATHEMATICS
Advanced.......... 35.0 – 46.0 ..........76%-100%......... 444 – 553
Accelerated.......... 28.5 – 34.5 ..........62%-75%.........425 – 443
PROFICIENT.......... 19.0 – 28.0 ..........41%-61%.........400 – 424
Basic ..........14.0 – 18.5 ..........30%-40%.........384 – 399
Limited ..........0.0 – 13.5 ..........0%-29%.........254 – 383

WRITING
Advanced ..........41.5 – 48.0 ..........86%-100%.........476 – 579
Accelerated ..........34.0 – 41.0 ..........71%-85%.........430 – 475
PROFICIENT ..........25.5 – 33.5 ..........53%-70%.........400 – 429
Basic ..........18.5 – 25.0 ..........37%-52%.........378 – 399
Limited ..........0.0 – 17.0 ..........0%-36%......... 268 – 377

SCIENCE
Advanced ..........36.5 – 48.0 ..........76%-100%.........445 – 591
Accelerated ..........31.5 – 36.0 ..........61%-72%.........425 – 444
PROFICIENT ..........22.0 – 29.0 ..........46%-60%.........400 – 424
Basic ..........13.5 – 21.5 ..........28%-45%.........371 – 399
Limited ..........0.0 – 13.0 ..........0%-27%.........209 – 370

SOCIAL STUDIES
Advanced ..........36.5 – 48.0 ..........76%-100%.........446 – 579
Accelerated ..........32.0 – 36.0 ..........68%-75%.........429 – 445
PROFICIENT ..........21.5 – 31.5..........45%-67%......... 400 – 428
Basic ..........15.5 – 21.0 ..........32%-44%.........382 – 399
Limited ..........0.0 – 15.0 ..........0%-21%.........231 – 381
LOL

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25213
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

6

4

4

sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel good about myself, but thanks. Clearly you don't when you have to deflect and demean (in a cute way) once again. Hypocrites typically don't see themselves as one.
Actually I haven't seen a multitude of people flock to certain talks. I only attend ones that are "credible". Such as a BOE member traveling the state talking about the effects they have had on the schools system in which she (sorry, they) serve. Not a baseball player or medical doctor that talks about what he or she WOULD do to change the school system. Now if that medical doctor were giving a talk about heart transplants - probably something I would attend. Sheep follow many different things - doesn't mean they are credible things they are following.
When roofs are allowed to leak? Have you seen the condition of the schools lately? Both outside and inside? They are, quite frankly, horrible. More than the fiscal side of things, which is really the ONLY thing you belabor (and I am certainly not downplaying it), is the sense of community pride. and there certainly is none of that right now, sorry to tell you. the fiscal house may be in order, according to you, but the human element certainly is not.
And you better come in from all your sunshine, you may get a sunburn.
...it's agreed, as you point out... that "just watching" is cute;
but more importantly, all those who are "just watching" are smart enough to figure out the hypocrisy of wolves in sheep clothing.
Stand strong springboro and just keep watching and listening to the truth that will set you free from the snares of SURE and the badd Babb for boro wooly bullies in sheep clothing.
sheep

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25214
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

8

7

7

Just Watching wrote:
Why can't a nurse talk about the schools system? Are you saying only teaches are capable of speaking about the way our schools are run?
Roofs in the Junior High were allowed to leak for a number of years during the levy campaigns in hopes of engendering misguided and mislead support. Amazingly they found the money to fix them when the hopelessness of their cause became apparent. All that was accomplished without the additional new money the pro levy folks said we desperately needed to stay afloat.
There remain a number of unmet needs that slowly but surely are being worked through by judicious use of fiscal management and responsibility.
Certain factions would be just as happy to take all of the available monies for themselves then leave the children to once again sit in leaky classrooms, or on unsafe buses, utilizing outdated textbooks, lacking technology, or a host of other unmet needs our children continue to require.
I enjoy the sun and use sunscreen for protection against its harmful effects.
You should try it sometime, it certainly beats the darkside.
Its kind of interesing. When you have to keep telling people over and over and over again you are something....you usually aren't. We are transparent. Everything we do is transparent. Be in the sunlight. Sunshine is great, come join us. What's that saying, oh that's right - actions speak louder than words?

Keep deflecting and demeaning. What's another saying - oh that's right, those in glass houses?

Thanks but Darth Vader and I are doing just fine on the Dark Side. Funny, I see you here too. Oh wait, but you keep telling people everything is transparent......so it must be true!
You Betcha

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25215
Jun 14, 2013
 

Judged:

7

5

5

sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel good about myself, but thanks. Clearly you don't when you have to deflect and demean (in a cute way) once again. Hypocrites typically don't see themselves as one.
Actually I haven't seen a multitude of people flock to certain talks. I only attend ones that are "credible". Such as a BOE member traveling the state talking about the effects they have had on the schools system in which she (sorry, they) serve. Not a baseball player or medical doctor that talks about what he or she WOULD do to change the school system. Now if that medical doctor were giving a talk about heart transplants - probably something I would attend. Sheep follow many different things - doesn't mean they are credible things they are following.
When roofs are allowed to leak? Have you seen the condition of the schools lately? Both outside and inside? They are, quite frankly, horrible. More than the fiscal side of things, which is really the ONLY thing you belabor (and I am certainly not downplaying it), is the sense of community pride. and there certainly is none of that right now, sorry to tell you. the fiscal house may be in order, according to you, but the human element certainly is not.
And you better come in from all your sunshine, you may get a sunburn.
Well, you betcha I've seen the condition of the schools lately! The condition of our schools is much improved over the way things were before our children first budgeting BOE member came on board in 2010...AND conditions are steadily improving!
The last time I was in the schools was recently when I was driving my child to school and her grandparents were visiting us. My daughter grabbed her grandparents hand and said "you have to come with us and see my school! You'll just love it!"
Oh how good it is to enjoy these happy times of every day blessings (that are so often taken for granted)!
You betcha, the human element is certainly in order, when we all are just as happy as we make up our minds to be!
May God Bless My Family And May God Bless You and Yours!
Life is so good with gratitude for good things!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Springboro Discussions

Search the Springboro Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 min truth told 18,737
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Heather 30,173
Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Marvin Levels 188
Ambulance, fire levy sparks debate in Ohio (Feb '13) 2 hr IdontKNOW 2,036
Boro etiquette (Jul '13) 3 hr near side 10
"Can I try it like the Gentle Giant?" 16 hr The Hack Checker 6
Police chief in Ferguson says "Officer didn't k... 16 hr The Hack Checker 13
•••
•••
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••