Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,767

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24853 May 25, 2013
focus wrote:
<quoted text>
tea party...tea party...that's all we hear from you...but what do u say about the influx of union money from out of state for purposes, just as getting the mayor and his goons re-elected through out of state union money ?
This is where the conversation gets difficult for me, because I wouldn't argue against your points above.

What I believe is that the unions in question are composed of workers with the right to collectively bargain with their government employers. I agree that workers shouldn't be forced to pay dues, but the idea that employees would no longer have the right to collectively bargain with their employers is terrifying to me. That feels like one of the planks of our democracy being torn out from underneath me. I mean seriously, imagine if companies no longer had the right to collectively bargain the cost of their goods or services?

This is all about liberty to me. Not just the liberty to live in the township and educate your own children, but the liberty to join a community with a superior rated school system. That is what I want I to pay for with my taxes, in order to avoid the high costs of private education. I don't know if you can afford those costs, or the time to personally educate your kids, but I do know that I've got enough to worry about when my daughter goes off to college next year.
Stay Focused

Piqua, OH

#24854 May 25, 2013
focus wrote:
<quoted text>
tea party...tea party...that's all we hear from you...but what do u say about the influx of union money from out of state for purposes, just as getting the mayor and his goons re-elected through out of state union money ?...bet the mayor couldn't win an election without union money...that crook !
It doesn't take more money to be a responsible citizen...
don't get distracted by the union's war of words againist taxpaying voters ... spread the good news that our schools and CCFD finances are in great financial shape!

Spread the good news .... Vote for Success in November!

Vote YES on School renewal levy (renewal levy means no new taxes).... time to celebrate!

Vote YES to re-elect School Board Representative Dr. Kelly Kohls!
.... time to say Thank You, Kelly!

NO FIRE LEVY IS NEEDED ON THE NOVEMBER 2013 BALLOT!
Send a message to Clearcreek Township Trustees Mr. Wade and Mr. Gabbard to JUST SAY NO to Mr. Kidd's future requests for a New Fire Levy. Why waste taxpayers time and money with another unnecessary attempt to "force Taxpayers to Say yes to new taxes, with the huge CCFD budget surplus?
focus

Fairborn, OH

#24855 May 25, 2013
Stay Focused wrote:
<quoted text>
don't get distracted by the union's war of words againist taxpaying voters ... spread the good news that our schools and CCFD finances are in great financial shape!
Vote YES on School renewal levy (renewal levy means no new taxes).... time to celebrate!
Send a message to Clearcreek Township Trustees Mr. Wade and Mr. Gabbard to JUST SAY NO to Mr. Kidd's future requests for a New Fire Levy. Why waste taxpayers time and money with another unnecessary attempt to "force Taxpayers to Say yes to new taxes, with the huge CCFD budget surplus?
I respectfully disagree that it doesn't take money to point out the gestapo tactics of those LOCAL union power crazy people, including our "soft touch and alleged silver star winner mayor". To win, one cut off the head of the "snake". And to get the message out, it DOES take money.
Reject Ritter Ramblings

Piqua, OH

#24856 May 25, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where the conversation gets difficult for me, because I wouldn't argue against your points above.
What I believe is that the unions in question are composed of workers with the right to collectively bargain with their government employers. I agree that workers shouldn't be forced to pay dues, but the idea that employees would no longer have the right to collectively bargain with their employers is terrifying to me. That feels like one of the planks of our democracy being torn out from underneath me. I mean seriously, imagine if companies no longer had the right to collectively bargain the cost of their goods or services?
This is all about liberty to me. Not just the liberty to live in the township and educate your own children, but the liberty to join a community with a superior rated school system. That is what I want I to pay for with my taxes, in order to avoid the high costs of private education. I don't know if you can afford those costs, or the time to personally educate your kids, but I do know that I've got enough to worry about when my daughter goes off to college next year.
Not interested in Christopher Rittter's ramblings.
For S-U-R-E he is terrified and fearful of Freedom with No Union Strings Attached.

Mr. Ritter, it is noticed a few pages back on the this blog that you were asked an OPEN question, but I have not seen an answer.

Are you a taxpaying/voter/resident in this school district?
Is your Rap Genius employer a government organization?
You sound kinda silly with all this "stealthiness" on this blog and your moving around public meetings trying to "attach" yourself to something legitimate in the "community." Are you "offering" your own propoganda looking for willing "takers?"
You know, kind of like that Nancy P deal on Obama-care...we have to pass the bill before the American people know what's in it?
unionman

Piqua, OH

#24857 May 25, 2013
focus wrote:
<quoted text>
I respectfully disagree that it doesn't take money to point out the gestapo tactics of those LOCAL union power crazy people, including our "soft touch and alleged silver star winner mayor". To win, one cut off the head of the "snake". And to get the message out, it DOES take money.
ah, come on now .... thought all you responsible spenders had to do was just blame the union for everything and just get out there and ROCK THE NO VOTE! How expensive could those "baggies" be at Wal-Mart prices?
No way

Lodi, OH

#24858 May 25, 2013
Stay Focused wrote:
<quoted text>

Time to say goodbye to KK!!!!
LOL

Piqua, OH

#24859 May 25, 2013
No way wrote:
<quoted text>
That's Funny! but just wishful thinking for S-U-R-E!
Just Saulsome

Piqua, OH

#24860 May 25, 2013
No way wrote:
<quoted text>
My Oh My, Principal Ron's Kids S-U-R-E do say the darn-dest of things! Time to Vote for Revenge?

Springboro, Ohio

#24861 May 25, 2013
Reject Ritter Ramblings wrote:
Mr. Ritter, it is noticed a few pages back on the this blog that you were asked an OPEN question, but I have not seen an answer.
Are you a taxpaying/voter/resident in this school district?
Is your Rap Genius employer a government organization?
You sound kinda silly with all this "stealthiness" on this blog and your moving around public meetings trying to "attach" yourself to something legitimate in the "community." Are you "offering" your own propoganda looking for willing "takers?"
1.) Yes, I'm a tax paying resident of Springboro with a child in the school district.
2.) RapGenius is a website for adding knowledge on top of lyrics and other documents.
3.) I'm going to go with yes on question three, as I am actively seeking a way to remind citizens that Springboro is a public space in which people actively seek to contribute in order for the community to grow. When we go around labeling teachers and union members as evil thugs, we are forgetting that these are local people who are paid to serve our community. They teach our children, they keep us safe, but ultimately they serve us. We are the primary shareholders, not some corporation with overseas offices whose only goal is to redistribute our wealth to their offshore bank accounts. We make the rules. And the sooner we can open Springboro to allow the people more control over their local governance, the sooner we can rid ourselves of opportunists, no matter which side of the political spectrum they hail from.
Say What

Piqua, OH

#24862 May 25, 2013
Say What, Mr. "Open Springboro?"

You state "when we go around labeling teachers and union members as evil thugs..."

What do you mean by "we?"

are you saying Christopher Ritter and Rap Genius goes around labeling teachers and union members as evil thugs...?

That is the "we" that you openly communicate to "me"
and I be the reader of your Open Springboro comment.

So, another question is: Why Does Christopher Ritter and Rap Genius "goes around labeling teachers and union members as evil thugs?

As a Springboro resident, I know many wonderful teachers and union members and I am proud to
generously financially support our Springboro teachers! Our Springboro teachers enjoy safe and comfortable working conditions, fantastic pay, and WOW! absolutely amazing compensation/benefits package!

So, one more question, please: why would the OEA want to mess things up for our wonderful teachers?
What's in it for the OEA?
Say What

Piqua, OH

#24863 May 25, 2013
Abraham Lincoln said, "People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."

We Are Happy In Successful Springboro!
If Springboro Teachers aren't happy with their employment in our great schools, provided by Springboro Taxpayers, then it's going to take a lot more than just more money to get them to happily work in our kid's classrooms! Why would any teacher not be happy with great pay and working conditions like these:

Working conditions –
1. New technology, and technology upgrades galore,
2. Clean and well kept facilities,
3. 7.25 hour work day,
4. Paid leave = 15 sick days and 4 personal days off per year,
5. Subs when need,$700,000 in supplemental pay possibilities.
6. Field trips for students and teachers permitted to run trips off line,
7. Moderate sized class for teacher across all grade levels,
8. More support staff for special education and gifted on the horizon,
9. New text books for learning,
10.Fully funded athletic programs,
11.Tons of extra curricular activities for teachers and students,
12.Smart kids making learning easier(better than our urban counterparts,
13.Engaged parents that support educators programs and needs,
14.Great pto organizations that support educators and students needs,
15.A board of education that supports student achievement,
16.Smart boards in every class,
17.A board of education that is focused on policy and safety for our students and teachers,
18.new stages,
19.More band equipment ($35,000 for all kids),
20.Excellent pay and benefits,
21.Generous employee by-outs,
22.More AP classes to accelerate learning.

Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24864 May 25, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a break. The only way slander a school district that has earned an excellent rating in the school system is through false equovalencies. I've heard on more than one occasion the Board take credit for our ratings, then go on to paint the state as some kind of communist plot to indoctrinate our children. And then they give their passionate plea to teach our children more than the state standards, which includes creationism, global warming denial, and other platforms of the Tea Party. It's pretty clear who's attempting g to indoctrinate our school children, and it sure as hell isn't those teachers who've committed their lives to ensuring success for our children.
You would be once again wrong in your assertions.

The policy proposes if a controversial topic arises during the normal course of classroom discussion if a teacher wishes to address the issue that teacher should present both sides of the issue for the students.

Pro-Life or Abortion

Gun Rights or Anti-Gun

Liberalism or Conservatism

If its controversial the school board wants the children of this district to hear both sides. If someone speaks up for babies the teacher is expected to not only address the pro life side but also the abortion rights side. etc, etc, etc

I can see where you might be confused by the thought of open and free discussion of both sides of an issue, but somehow reasonable and rational discussions of pros and cons does appear to have some benefit to understanding issues.

Hope that helps.
Stop Common Core

Piqua, OH

#24865 May 25, 2013
Nearly two years ago, the Ohio State Board of Education adopted the Obama administration’s educational program of Common Core only 16 days after it was announced. There was no time for evaluation of the standards by those most closely connected to student learning – parents and local teachers.
Now we are seeing the problems inherent in Common Core as a top-down bureaucratic system. Common Core’s one-size-fits-all standards have not sufficiently been proven to work, turning our students into lab rats for federal experimentation. Furthermore, these untested standards are expected to cost Ohio taxpayers multi-millions of dollars to implement at a time when families are already struggling to get by.
Among other costs, Ohio taxpayers will be stuck with the bill for new libraries and equipment. Because Common Core requires standardized tests, schools face the burden of buying additional computers and updating textbooks to comply with this regulation.
And it’s not just the costs! Inherent to Common Core is massive intrusive data collection. Additionally, because of the push to standardize many exams, including some that private and homeschool children take, even privately educated students have reason to be concerned.
Ready to take a stand against these standards? contact your legislators and ask them to repeal Common Core! Every student is unique. It’s simply naïve for bureaucrats to assume all children and classrooms must fit into the same mold. Instead of all the red tape, schools need to hold teachers accountable for their classrooms and allow parents to choose what institution is best for their child. Parents and teachers, who are daily involved with our children, know what individual students need to succeed and how best to reach the goal of a quality education.
For the good of our students, every concerned Ohio citizen should speak out now on the importance of repealing Common Core standards and returning education decisions to the local level where they belong. Please help spread awareness on this vital issue on to a friend who has children in Ohio’s public schools. Ask them to contact their legislators and ask that Common Core be repealed before it is too late. Make sure everyone you know knows the facts about Common Core. Take a stand against education bureaucracy!
Just Asking

Piqua, OH

#24866 May 25, 2013
Is it true that today's controversial Kindergarten
school curriculum policy adopted by school districts is categorized "non-gender".... meaning that the pro-nouns HE and SHE are not used, in order to avoid any ackowledgment whatsoever of being "created Male and Female?"
Is it true that instead of using HE and SHE; the term "friend" is used? And is it true that Mom and Dad are being replaced by Parent One and Parent Two? Anyone out there know what our Springboro
Schools Kindergarten is teaching?

Springboro, Ohio

#24867 May 25, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
If its controversial the school board wants the children of this district to hear both sides. If someone speaks up for babies the teacher is expected to not only address the pro life side but also the abortion rights side. etc, etc, etc
I can see where you might be confused by the thought of open and free discussion of both sides of an issue, but somehow reasonable and rational discussions of pros and cons does appear to have some benefit to understanding issues.
Hope that helps.
Could you imagine if your kind were around when we put a man on the moon? Arguing that the Bible put man on earth and not in space for a reason? Having to listen to people say, "We don't want to teach kids not to reach for the stars, but to at least consider the possibility that their souls will burn in everlasting hell if they ever step foot off our planet." Because that is where we are, at the point where we could challenge our children to solve the problems we face in climate change, but instead contemplate labeling it a "controversial issue".
Not even close

Richfield, OH

#24868 May 25, 2013
Say What wrote:
Abraham Lincoln said, "People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."
We Are Happy In Successful Springboro!
If Springboro Teachers aren't happy with their employment in our great schools, provided by Springboro Taxpayers, then it's going to take a lot more than just more money to get them to happily work in our kid's classrooms! Why would any teacher not be happy with great pay and working conditions like these:
Working conditions –
1. New technology, and technology upgrades galore,
2. Clean and well kept facilities,
3. 7.25 hour work day,
4. Paid leave = 15 sick days and 4 personal days off per year,
5. Subs when need,$700,000 in supplemental pay possibilities.
6. Field trips for students and teachers permitted to run trips off line,
7. Moderate sized class for teacher across all grade levels,
8. More support staff for special education and gifted on the horizon,
9. New text books for learning,
10.Fully funded athletic programs,
11.Tons of extra curricular activities for teachers and students,
12.Smart kids making learning easier(better than our urban counterparts,
13.Engaged parents that support educators programs and needs,
14.Great pto organizations that support educators and students needs,
15.A board of education that supports student achievement,
16.Smart boards in every class,
17.A board of education that is focused on policy and safety for our students and teachers,
18.new stages,
19.More band equipment ($35,000 for all kids),
20.Excellent pay and benefits,
21.Generous employee by-outs,
22.More AP classes to accelerate learning.
Of your 22 options here half don't exist!!!1,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,15, 16 (so not true),17,18 (not sure shay this is?), 20. Prove it!
Real

Delaware, OH

#24869 May 25, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you imagine if your kind were around when we put a man on the moon? Arguing that the Bible put man on earth and not in space for a reason? Having to listen to people say, "We don't want to teach kids not to reach for the stars, but to at least consider the possibility that their souls will burn in everlasting hell if they ever step foot off our planet." Because that is where we are, at the point where we could challenge our children to solve the problems we face in climate change, but instead contemplate labeling it a "controversial issue".
Those look like phones baloney fake arguments used to divert attention from this school districts lack of actual achievement. Cheating the kids with euphemisms is no substitute for a real education.
Real

Delaware, OH

#24870 May 25, 2013
Just Asking wrote:
Is it true that today's controversial Kindergarten
school curriculum policy adopted by school districts is categorized "non-gender".... meaning that the pro-nouns HE and SHE are not used, in order to avoid any ackowledgment whatsoever of being "created Male and Female?"
Is it true that instead of using HE and SHE; the term "friend" is used? And is it true that Mom and Dad are being replaced by Parent One and Parent Two? Anyone out there know what our Springboro
Schools Kindergarten is teaching?
You would have to ask your politically correct brothers and sisters.
Eye Of the Beholder

Piqua, OH

#24871 May 26, 2013
Not even close wrote:
<quoted text>
Of your 22 options here half don't exist!!!1,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,15, 16 (so not true),17,18 (not sure shay this is?), 20. Prove it!
The way I see it, as an average Springboro citizen and taxpaying voter in this school district: The "cup of generous salaries, great compensation/benefits and safe, comfortable working conditions".... runneth over for our teacher union employees; Still, it appears that our union employees see their cup "half empty."

Springboro taxpayers can't do it all for the school union employees; each Springboro school teacher must recognize that Springboro taxpayers are knocking on their classroom door with a great job opportunity; Now it is up to the teacher to "rise above their positions of status quo" and get up and open up that door in the best interest of their employment security and our children's 21st century education.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24872 May 26, 2013
These are your 6th grade test results for 2009 - 2010

2009-10
6th Grade
Limited.... 12 Students
Limited.... 18% Average Score
Limited Definition.....0-12 correct answers (scored 0-24%)

Basic..... 39 Students
Basic..... 31% Average Score
Basic Definition.....13-18 correct answers (scored 26-36%)

Proficient.... 96 Students
Proficient.... 47% Average
Proficient Definition.....19-27 correct answers (38- 54%)

Accelerated..... 104 Students
Accelerated..... 62% Average Score
Accelerated Definition.....28-34 correct answers (56%- 68%)

Advanced 176 Students
Advanced.... 80% Average Score
Advanced Definition.....35-50 correct answers (70%- 100%)

F Below 62.99%..... 209 Students
49%....% receiving F

D 63 to 74.99%..... 93 Students
22%.....% receiving D

C 75 to 84.99%..... 73 Students
17%.....% receiving C

B 85 to 92.99%..... 42 Students
10%.....% receiving B

A 93 and above..... 9 Students
2%.....% receiving A

Total 6th Grade.... 426 Students

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
our lady of the highlands (Mar '11) 21 hr Sundance Kid 12
I'd like Natalie Jovonovich to be my bitch! (Oct '13) Thu BigBustedMeteorol... 13
To all Tara Hastings fans Thu BigBustedMeteorol... 1
Family Law Attorneys (May '14) Thu Leachmark707 20
Darrin Bowser: Wherefore art thou Thu Wondering 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed Alberto 19,592
Warning: This may cause pain with brain strain. Wed Ann Fan 1

Winter Storm Watch for Warren County was issued at January 31 at 11:12AM EST

Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance